shape
carat
color
clarity

Vaccinations To Prevent Diseases Other Than Covid19

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started a thread on the shingles vaccine a while back (https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-about-the-immune-system.251407/#post-4611959). After I got that vaccine the nurse practitioner who gave it to me told me that I should get the pneumonia vaccine next. I had taken the shingrix in two parts and I wondered how to fit in the pneumonia vaccine with my 'flu shot given that I don't want to hang out in a CVS where sick people pick up their prescriptions during a coronavirus pandemic.and that is where the vaccinations are given.

Well today I had to be in the CVS to pick up two prescriptions for my daughter and the clerk asked me if I wanted the shingrix vaccine. There was also a sign posted saying that several vaccines (including pneumonia) were in stock.and that is where the vaccinations are given). I was at the pharmacy already. So I asked if I could get the pneumonia vaccine and I got it today.This one was given by the pharmacist, not the nurse practitioner. I had thought it came in two parts, but this was all in one. (It is the PPSV23.)

I was planning to have this anyway, just as I had the shingles vaccine before the covid19 outbreak, but now that we are in the midst of the pandemic I thought I might as well get immunized against anything else I might catch that could compromise my health further if I got covid. It is why I will, once again, get the high dose 'flu shot if I make it through this summer!

This vaccination only protects against pneumococcal bacteria. When I was assisting in interpretation for a pulonary patient with pneumonia this year I understood that there is viral and fungal pneumonia, too. Pobably covid19 attacks with viral pneumonia, but maybe this can stop things from getting even worse if one gets viral pneumonia. Any medical opinions? msop?

I love to hear what others are doing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep forgetting about pneumonia
I suspect Gary had virus pneumonia because it arrived when he had the flu a good few years back
scariest thing ever
Thank for reminding me, he's off to the doc tomorrow so ill remind him to ask

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got the pneumovax-23 a month ago which is what I think you just got. I got it at my doctor’s office. I couldn’t find it anywhere close to where I live. Everyone is running out to get it now. I was told it won’t do anything to help if we get Covid. It just won’t complicate things for the doctors who won’t know what they’re dealing with if we present with pneumonia. It’s the same thing with the flu shot. It will be easier to tell if they think it’s the flu or Covid..before testing..:think:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't gotten the flu shot yet this year, but I will definitely get it.

Is the flu vaccine out already for this coming year? I was under the impression it comes out later this month or in September. But not sure.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will get the pneumonia shot whenever I'm able to see my doctor. We're still doing virtual appointments here. I've had the vaccine before. Many vaccines need to be repeated eventually. I don't know when our flu vaccine comes out or how they'll handle it this year with not having things open yet. We usually don't get it until Oct/Nov though.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the pneumonia vaccine at the beginning of the outbreak. I read that bacterial pneumonia can occur with Covid-19.

I will get the flu vaccine as soon as I can.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Is the flu vaccine out already for this coming year? I was under the impression it comes out later this month or in September. But not sure.

I'm not sure when they come out. I know when I was working, they always had a nurse come out in Oct to give us the shots, but I've never known just when the become available.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure when they come out. I know when I was working, they always had a nurse come out in Oct to give us the shots, but I've never known just when the become available.

Thanks. When I was working we always got the flu vaccination in August. It's when they became available at the clinic and it was mandatory. Since I plan on getting it anyway I prefer getting it sooner vs later since it takes 2 weeks to take effect once given. We all know the flu vaccination is an educated guess and doesn't fully protect but still I feel better for getting it. I always recommend getting the preservative free vaccine. It's the safest IMO.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Good tip on the pneumonia vaccine. I have to see my internist at the end of this month and I will ask her for it. I just got both my shingles vaccines this year.

I didn't realize the flu vaccine was around so early. My doctor and local pharmacies never have it until September.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't recall the last time I had a vaccination of any kind. If I did it would be over 50 yrs ago.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. When I was working we always got the flu vaccination in August. It's when they became available at the clinic and it was mandatory. Since I plan on getting it anyway I prefer getting it sooner vs later since it takes 2 weeks to take effect once given. We all know the flu vaccination is an educated guess and doesn't fully protect but still I feel better for getting it. I always recommend getting the preservative free vaccine. It's the safest IMO.

Hi Missy - I read the other day about waning flu vaccines - they only protect a few months. I am toying with the idea of getting a flu shot twice in a year. https://www.statnews.com/2017/01/12/flu-shot-timing/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Usually late August. I was just at the OB yesterday and they didn't have it yet.

ETA I usually get it mid-October so it will "last" longer.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super dumb question but hoping someone can answer for me.

How do you get pneumonia normally (ie no Covid)? Bad flu? Do you catch it by itself like you can catch a cold?

Is it from pneumococcal disease? I think my son was given a vaccine against that when he was young through routine vaccinations. Is that the pneumonia vaccine?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How do you get pneumonia normally (ie no Covid)? Bad flu? Do you catch it by itself like you can catch a cold?

Is it from pneumococcal disease? I think my son was given a vaccine against that when he was young through routine vaccinations. Is that the pneumonia vaccine?

Not a dumb question at all! Pneumonia is a lung infection with a few different causes - usually bacterial or viral, or even fungal. Pneumococcal bacteria is one of the more common causes of pneumonia, and is pretty frequently seen in community transmissions. So yes, the pneumococcal vaccine protects against that particular strain of pneumonia, as it's one of the more common ones, it mostly causes illness under 5s and over 65/70s.

voce

Ideal_Rock

Wet, cold environments exacerbate the likelihood of the disease. Remember, Tuktamysheva got pneumonia in December 2018.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results