shape
carat
color
clarity

Useless bf needs help choosing a diamond/engagement ring

chuci_24

Rough_Rock
Does anyone think the center stone is a bit high? Should I ask for it to be lowered or is this how it should be? I was told it was put at 1.5mm above the halo which was a balance between keeping it low but also being able to read the GIA engraving.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Agree with all the comments here, but want to add that excellent cutting will be the key to how the stone sparkles...but I am too late to the party. ;-) It looks gorgeous though! Congrats on your engagement...

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks gorgeous like this!

chuci_24

Rough_Rock
As an FYI, I've gone back and asked to make the prongs a bit more understated if possible. And also to drop the stone a little (if this is doable)

@Snowdrop13 thought I'd tag you as I know you were interested from a UK perspective.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with your instructions on the prongs, it is a bit “prongy” right now. They can possibly whittle those down somewhat. Otherwise I think the whole aesthetic is really lovely.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring!

But mostly I'm here to say how much I enjoyed the thread title :cool2:.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ring is really beautiful. i actually like the double prongs, they will be very secure. And the setting is nice and low, great for every day wear.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
As an FYI, I've gone back and asked to make the prongs a bit more understated if possible. And also to drop the stone a little (if this is doable)

@Snowdrop13 thought I'd tag you as I know you were interested from a UK perspective.

I think lowering the stone a very wee bit is a good call. I’ve never set a stone as to read the inscription, to be honest. Set the stone for the aesthetic of the ring, not a microscopic number. Slightly lower will male it more wearable and touching the prongs up could be done at the same time.

It’s a beautiful ring, your GF will be one blingy Brit, at least by my recollections from when I lived in the UK. Get that beauty insured! Flat owners or whole house coverage may need to be updated for such a nice piece.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Well done. You're a very good boyfriend for being so "useless". HA. Pretty ring. You did very well! I have an old cut cushion, a size 6.75 finger, and get a TON of finger coverage from the halo. I am sure she will be thrilled.

Good call on making those prongs a bit more dainty.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does anyone think the center stone is a bit high? Should I ask for it to be lowered or is this how it should be? I was told it was put at 1.5mm above the halo which was a balance between keeping it low but also being able to read the GIA engraving.

I just edited this as I hadn't seen that you already got the jeweler to lower it and redo the prongs. It's gonna be fantastic.

I am going to be the only party pooper and say that it looks like the halo opening wasn't made bigger than the original CAD, and that it is still sitting too high as a result.

It looks GREAT but is not the seamless transition that you asked for. Hope the lowered version looks more streamlined.

If not, you still have a beautiful ring that you put careful thought into and is miles better than the majority of rings out there.

Last edited:

chuci_24

Rough_Rock
I just edited this as I hadn't seen that you already got the jeweler to lower it and redo the prongs. It's gonna be fantastic.

I am going to be the only party pooper and say that it looks like the halo opening wasn't made bigger than the original CAD, and that it is still sitting too high as a result.

It looks GREAT but is not the seamless transition that you asked for. Hope the lowered version looks more streamlined.

If not, you still have a beautiful ring that you put careful thought into and is miles better than the majority of rings out there.

Not a party pooper at all. I really do appreciate the honesty and I don't take offence! Let's see what they come back with and if it's at all possible to drop the height... But as you said, the opening is a certain size so I'm not sure it'll be possible. Fwiw, my original request was something similar to a Vanessa Nicole cushion halo. I've no idea about her status in the ER making world, but I did really like her halos

Ryan-Lauren.jpg

The above is an example from her site so with that in mind, the jeweller is quite close

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it looks beautiful, congrats on your pending engagement =)

chuci_24

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your help.

On a separate note, they've done a valuation for me. The valuation is over double the amount paid. I questioned this and was told it was because I sourced the stone separately and got a good deal, and also the work was done privately and not through the main jeweller/company. But seriously, double?! Is this just some trick so insurance companies get to charge more?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they usually put a far higher value on it than it's worth.

chuci_24

Rough_Rock
Yes, they usually put a far higher value on it than it's worth.

I just don't get the point of the valuation. I have a receipt. If I lose the ring, they'll pay out at the purchase price not the valuation, so what's the point of it?! Also, how do they account for the fact I got a good deal, or if sales were on and the ring is actually worth more than the purchase price?

For example, if I insure with jewelersmutual they ask for the value - if I put the valuation and if it came to me need to claim and I don't have a receipt, what would they pay out at?!

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

What I do know is that you do need to be careful with those insurance policies, though. For ex., mine states that you don't need to submit any documentation about your jewelry UNLESS you file a claim. In other words, they'll be happy to accept the premiums to insure your jewelry but if you don't have whatever they consider adequate documentation, you may not actually be able to ever collect on it.

Right now, I'm in the process of taking photos, gathering what receipts I can and so on for my jewelry.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't get the point of the valuation. I have a receipt. If I lose the ring, they'll pay out at the purchase price not the valuation, so what's the point of it?! Also, how do they account for the fact I got a good deal, or if sales were on and the ring is actually worth more than the purchase price?

For example, if I insure with jewelersmutual they ask for the value - if I put the valuation and if it came to me need to claim and I don't have a receipt, what would they pay out at?!

It's a little complicated, and different for each insurance company. My advice is to call a few insurers, perhaps ones you are considering using, and discuss your concerns with them. For example, I used Jewelers Mutual, and insured a bracelet for what I paid, not the valuation, which was much higher. They told me I could do that, but cautioned it was better to use the valuation to be sure I could replace with the exact specs. They don't force you to use the valuation. You can just insure with your receipt. That was my experience as of a few years ago. It may have changed. Be sure to get all your questions answered and you will be fine. Good luck.

Edited to add that some insurers will force you to use their jewelers. I personally wanted to avoid that. There are also others that will give a cash settlement. It's all very different, so make sure you ask a lot of questions, and understand the coverage.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
That’s really beautiful. You’ve done a fantastic job, how very thoughtful and caring if you. Hand shots after you propose please!!!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely! Please post more pics after the proposal.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It turned out really nice! Seems you found a good jeweler that did pretty
much what you asked.

See if you can use the receipt to insure your ring or go back to the jeweler and ask for an
evaluation for your cost + 10% (or whatever % you think you want to insure for). Do not
give them the double your cost evaluation! That's a "feel good" evaluation and not really
very useful for insurance unless you want to get ripped off every time you go to pay your
insurance bill!

Job well done...on the ring!

chuci_24

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! It turned out really nice! Seems you found a good jeweler that did pretty
much what you asked.

See if you can use the receipt to insure your ring or go back to the jeweler and ask for an
evaluation for your cost + 10% (or whatever % you think you want to insure for). Do not
give them the double your cost evaluation! That's a "feel good" evaluation and not really
very useful for insurance unless you want to get ripped off every time you go to pay your
insurance bill!

Job well done...on the ring!

Thanks! It's a bit smaller than I perhaps envisioned, but covid meant I couldn't go in to stores to get a feel for sizes and was relying on online images and videos. Hopefully doesn't look too small on a UK N (US 6 3/4 - 7) sized finger!

My gf doesn't actually live her atm so I'm going to give her the UK appraisal and get her to go to an independent one back home in the sates just to get a comparison and go from there.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! You did great.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to you both.
A beautiful proposal with a beautiful ring.
well done you :appl::appl::appl:

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!! The ring looks very nice on her, and that proposal setup is gorgeous!!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! The ring is stunning, and your fiancee is a very lucky lady indeed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results