Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent opinion needed on .92 carat I-VS2 round please!

kt9b

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
11
Hi all,

Just want to ask for your friendly advice/expertise on a diamond I have on hold currently. Its a .92c I-VS2 with triple Ex rating from GIA. I can get it for $3700 which I think is a relatively good price from what I've seen by comparing similar diamonds online. Is this a decent deal for the size/cut?? Have to spring on it soon as the hold only last 24hrs, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

screen_shot_2016-04-18_at_5.png

Table 60.0%
Depth 60.3%
Crown angle: 33.5
Pav angle: 41.0

Scores 1.8 on HCA
Light return - Ex
Fire - VG
Sciint - VG
Spread - Ex

Unfortunately no ASET/idealscope images available.

Thanks!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
It's a 60/60 style stone. The pavilion and crown angles are at the limit of acceptable, but they are acceptable. Personally, I'd feel better if you had an idealscope image of this one.

It is discounted because of the 60/60. That's why it's in budget for you. I do think it's a good price. And as long as you know it's a very good but not perfect stone, and you read the below, you are making a knowledgeable choice. I would get an idealscope and check the light performance at home, if I were you, when you get it. And if you aren't happy with it, make sure you return it within the return policy.


https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond
 

kt9b

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
11
Awesome thanks for your reply. Yes I do know it is a 60/60 stone and did a little reading re: the difference between 60/60 vs "ideal" cut. I decided that I like the look of the 60/60 a little more than a modern ideal cut (more brilliance/spread at the expense of fire, correct?).

I was also debating on a 0.90c I-SI2 for $3600
screen_shot_2016-04-18_at_11.png

Cut: Ex
Polish: Ex
Sym: VG
GIA cert

Depth: 62.50
Table: 57.00
Crown ∠: 35.50
Pavilion 40.8

Proportions are much closer to ideal, however the HCA rating was around 2.6 which gave me pause. In addition, the SI2 grading and smaller diameter/carat size swung me toward the first stone. This stone didnt have ASET/idealscope images either unfortunately. If you think this is a better stone please let me know!

I do agree an idealscope would be "ideal" here :lol: Any idea where to purchase an idealscope?

Thanks for all of the help!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
No, the crown and pavilion angles are less complimentary on this one than the other. And a clean SI2 is a red flag that it might have a large feather or something.

The 60/60 is a safer choice with the lack of idealscope. And as you said, it will have better spread too. So that's a bonus.

There is NOTHING wrong with chosing the 60/60. As long as it is a conscious and educated choice. My job is to make sure that it is.

Sounds like you are good to go.
 

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 24, 2015
Messages
381
Only the ideal make stones attract a premium and all other stones are priced accordingly.

I haven't seen 60/60 stones being 'discounted'. For anything they are the priciest after the ideal make.

And then there's common make - which is priced normally.

There are a lot takers of 60/60 stones mainly because they have better spread.

They are certainly not discount stones. Not in my experience. And I have enough experience to say that with a high level of confidence.

Best of luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,173
gr8leo87|1461062817|4021075 said:
Only the ideal make stones attract a premium and all other stones are priced accordingly.

I haven't seen 60/60 stones being 'discounted'. For anything they are the priciest after the ideal make.

And then there's common make - which is priced normally.

There are a lot takers of 60/60 stones mainly because they have better spread.

They are certainly not discount stones. Not in my experience. And I have enough experience to say that with a high level of confidence.

Best of luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Totally agree on this. While it's true that PS educated shoppers will place a premium on stones that are more in the mold of "PS Cheat sheet approved" ( which will exclude 60/60) - the market prices are not following this trend.
It's possible that a stone with an HCA score or 4 will have a higher asking price than one that scores 1 on HCA- and there's many possible reasons for this.

Sirdiamondgod- internet prices are inflated- compared to what????
What planet are you living on?
:angel:
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,173
SirDiamondGod said:
Rockdiamond|1461085148|4021204 said:
gr8leo87|1461062817|4021075 said:
Only the ideal make stones attract a premium and all other stones are priced accordingly.

I haven't seen 60/60 stones being 'discounted'. For anything they are the priciest after the ideal make.

And then there's common make - which is priced normally.

There are a lot takers of 60/60 stones mainly because they have better spread.

They are certainly not discount stones. Not in my experience. And I have enough experience to say that with a high level of confidence.

Best of luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Totally agree on this. While it's true that PS educated shoppers will place a premium on stones that are more in the mold of "PS Cheat sheet approved" ( which will exclude 60/60) - the market prices are not following this trend.
It's possible that a stone with an HCA score or 4 will have a higher asking price than one that scores 1 on HCA- and there's many possible reasons for this.

Sirdiamondgod- internet prices are inflated- compared to what????
What planet are you living on?
:angel:

Compared to what? A miner sells rough diamonds to a manufacturer. The manufacturer sells the polished stones to a retailer. The price that the manufacturer sells to individual retailers and the price the consumer pays for the product online, there's almost a 20% difference.

And the profit margins for manufacturers are being shrunk which is why many businesses have started to reach out to end customers.

this is just a FYI :hand: :angel: :angel: :angel:
FY your I
There's already a way for consumers to access a database containing gazillions of diamonds.
The "wholesaler" - who can be a cutter, or dealer- provides this list to rapnet, or in some cases directly to the largest internet websites.
If any of the companies providing this list want to, they can also open an internet website and sell directly to the end user. Selling to someone for re-sale is known as wholesale. Selling to a consumer- an end user- is known as "retail" selling.
By and large the companies that wanted to open their own retail sites already have.

So where again are consumers to find lower prices than the ones already being published on sites like Pricescope? If you take some more time to understand what you're participating in- Pricescope has their own version of this list - go the the homepage and look at the box labeled "SEARCH AND COMPARE DIAMONDS PRICES FROM MULTIPLE VENDORS"
Do a search for RBC G/Si1 1.00-1.05ct ( or any specs you want) and let us know where consumers can find lower prices
 

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
3,186
SirDiamondGod|1461085611|4021213 said:
Rockdiamond|1461085148|4021204 said:
gr8leo87|1461062817|4021075 said:
Only the ideal make stones attract a premium and all other stones are priced accordingly.

I haven't seen 60/60 stones being 'discounted'. For anything they are the priciest after the ideal make.

And then there's common make - which is priced normally.

There are a lot takers of 60/60 stones mainly because they have better spread.

They are certainly not discount stones. Not in my experience. And I have enough experience to say that with a high level of confidence.

Best of luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Totally agree on this. While it's true that PS educated shoppers will place a premium on stones that are more in the mold of "PS Cheat sheet approved" ( which will exclude 60/60) - the market prices are not following this trend.
It's possible that a stone with an HCA score or 4 will have a higher asking price than one that scores 1 on HCA- and there's many possible reasons for this.

Sirdiamondgod- internet prices are inflated- compared to what????
What planet are you living on?
:angel:

Compared to what? A miner sells rough diamonds to a manufacturer. The manufacturer sells the polished stones to a retailer. The price that the manufacturer sells to individual retailers and the price the consumer pays for the product online, there's almost a 20% difference.

And the profit margins for manufacturers are being shrunk which is why many businesses have started to reach out to end customers.

this is just a FYI :hand: :angel: :angel: :angel:
Yes, margins have shrunk and many businesses have started reaching out directly to end users. And everyone claims to be a "Wholesaler". But in the information age the consumer has become a much more empowered shopper with tons of options. They are shopping for VALUE . and they know how to find it. They also understand that value and price are not the same thing and therefore take into account several important factors including technical quality, information/diagnostics, assurance policies, benefits, and merchant reputation, in determining that value.
 

kt9b

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
11
Precisely Texas leaguer. While I appreciate the above comment on pursuing wholesaler options, the ease, peace of mind and simplicity of seeing 360degree view diamonds afforded by the more reputable and popular online vendors made it a pretty easy decision to purchase online. The (theoretical) extra $500-800 I would pay for the stone is absolutely worth the value these online shops provide.

Also, I am not sure if wholesalers provide the same assurance re: refund policy, ring settings/resizing (if they even have such services available which is unlikely if a pure diamond wholeseller). In any case, online sure as heck beats driving all across town while pay 30-50% mark-up and also paying tax, which in my state is 10% (not a negligible amount...).
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top