shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent! Newbie needs help for engagement ring (Did homework)

Shakkan

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I recently started reading about diamonds and looking at settings. We definitely wanted to get married this year and the next "special day" is her birthday in February so I'm gonna propose to her then. It's short notice but I know can do it if I act now! :)

My budget is kinda low because we have LOTS of things going on this year and also, she would be mad at me if I spent too much on her ring. I am looking at around 2000-2500$.

Diamond:
- Shape: I read that round is the shiniest, anyone opposed to that statement? I think I would like a round shape. You think Hearts & Arrow is possible in my price range? Huge shine gain for the price?
- Clarity: What's most important to me is an eye-clean diamond so SI1 or SI2 if I can see where the impurities are and they're not visible to untrained eyes.
- Carat: 0.5-0.6ct would be sufficient judging by what I have seen.
- Cut: I constantly read that it's THE most important part so a 'Very Good' for symmetry and polish would be nice (or under 4). I want it to shine even if it's not a big stone. :)
- Color: Colorless to the untrained eye so nothing below 'J'

Setting
Because of some exposition, I could get to know what my girl prefers subtlely. She definitely prefers a solitaire over a three-stone and she likes having a pavé on a ring stuck to the e-ring (i.e. wedding band).

I found an e-ring that has a setting that I love (and I'm sure she'd also love it judging by the tastes she manifested). Here's the pic:
ring_13.jpg

Specs:
14k gold
Main diamond: VS1 Color-G 0.3ct Cut:Good/Good
Pavé: 24 diamonds totally 0.17ct, SI GH
Price: 1887$ + taxes

I asked how much it would be to put a 0.5ct SI instead of the 0.3ct VS1 and what they offered was a 0.5ct, SI2, Cut: VG/VG, Color-H for 3605$ + tx which I think is overpriced. :/ What do you think?

Basically, I would like your feedback for:
- My diamond requirements vs. my budget (realistic?)
- Hearts & Arrow possible in my price range?
- Where could I find a setting similar to the one above (that acts like a wedding band + e-ring hybrid)? (no such thing at BGD/WF/BN/GOG)
- 14k vs 18k gold? I've been told 14k is good enough and way cheaper?
- Anything else you judge useful :)

Thanks -A LOT- in advance for all your precious feedbacks! I got tons of things going on now and I need to act fast while making a choice I will not regret! :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Urgent! Newbie needs help for engagement ring (Did homew

that is a pretty specific/unique style, did she pick it out? Perhaps you can propose with the diamond in a temporary setting and pick out a setting together? you could also get a plain band for the engagement ring and a pave band for the wedding ring and solder them together?

here are some options
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2566192.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2562001.htm

this band has sort of similar look but is more $$, you could do it with a smaller diamond though? honestly I don't think you need H&A to get a great sparkly diamond, but you should look for one with a good IS image.

ETA I did not post the band, sorry!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5521

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Hello,

That's some good suggestions but ideally, I would like to have the perfect ring at the proposal. She's not very picky and she knows I invest a lot of time when I'm about to buy something important. :)

What I like about the setting I posted is that it gives the impressions that there are 2 bands soldered to it each with a pavé. The problem is that I saw this setting at a local jewelry store and I can get a better diamond for the same price. ;(

The band you posted sure looks nice, but it's expensive.

Is it a good decision to go with a smaller diamond (0.5-0.6ct), VG cut and SI1 clarity instead of going with a bigger diamond but SI2-3, good/fair cut...?

Since the setting I posted looks like an e-ring + wedding band merged, I was told it could count for both. Is this something acceptable, to give only 1 ring? (i.e. re-use the same ring at the marriage)?

Thanks again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is a bit risky to choose a ring with such a distinct style unless she showed you one almost like it. I do like the Brian Gavin ring posted a LOT more, but you'd still use a wedding band with it. I'd take a few minutes and look through sites like Brian Gavin and Whiteflash to see styles of rings that are popular now. Also, many men choose a diamond and have it set in an inexpensive solitaire so the girl can later pick out the permanent setting. Good luck!

(In seeing your latest post, I would say to go no lower than SI1 for clarity on an engagement ring and absolutely stick with ideal or excellent cut.)

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

That's what I like about the setting I posted. It's pretty unique and specific... but I agree with you, I don't know for sure she'd love it 100% but she trusts my tastes and at the same time, it fits the tastes she manifested the other day. If that setting were available at the reputable online stores, I would go with it because most of the time, there's a 30-day return/exchange policy.

Like member "E B" posted (but also deleted...? heh), I could have bands soldered to it but the whole setting would become very expensive. :\ I looked at the gallery in WF and BGD but found nothing comparable to the setting I posted. Maybe I should open my mind to something else. ;p

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I too wonder if that would be her choice of setting. It is very unique, but I do think some women may consider it too "masculine" a style for an engagement ring - when you say she likes solitaires with lots of pave, I think something more along these lines - delicate, and romantic, and "flowy":
socalgirl's ritani
socalgirl's%20ritani.jpg

or, a little bolder and more modern
etoile
etoile.jpg

I also wonder if she would prefer two rings or one? Some women enjoy having the one ring - it is definitely a more unique style, especially if it is two rings in one wherein one slides into or underneath the other, but depending on what style of wedding you will have other women like to have a new ring blessed during the ceremony.. again, it is all what she prefers, and you know her best! If you have some free time and are interested in looking at settings this thread has some beauties :sun: : [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/[/URL]

Depending on what route you choose even if you don't find something pre-set I think you can find cost-effective options for custom work with the PS vendors or on Etsy. If you go custom you may be surprised to find how much of the charge is labour, and how little difference there is between 14k and 18k gold. If your intended has nickel allergies you won't be able to purchase the standard Ni-white gold pieces, you'll have to choose either plat - or palladium to keep price down - or a specialty white gold mix like the palladium alloy which will carry a premium, so that is something to investigate before diving into the design.

As for specs I think your wants and reality mesh quite well ::) H&A will not afford visible improvement in performance over a well-proportioned near-H&A type. It sounds like the setting is important to you, so let's leave 1-1.3k to play around with. That leaves 1.3-1.5k for the stone, you have lots of options!

-0.56 G SI1 H&A http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2544613.htm
-0.62 H SI1 H&A http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2562001.htm (request hearts retake) ETA just saw slg already rec'd this one!

-0.58 J VS1 http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1339482.asp
-0.63 G SI1 http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1345562.asp (request IS)
-0.70 I SI1 http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1346125.asp (request IS to confirm no obstruction issues, eyeclean to your definition?)
-This one is quite a bit larger 0.72 J SI1 http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1320379.asp (request IS and check eyeclean to your definition)

-0.65 I VS2 http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104048050002 (request hearts)

If you go the other way - spend 1.5k on the setting, you're looking at
-0.51 I SI1 H&A http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104048050018 (request hearts)
-0.51 H SI1 http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1343972.asp (request IS, ask about pronging inclusion)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some vendors to trawl through inventory, remember different vendors have different policies wrt upgrade/trade-in/buyback so this is something to investigate before purchase:

H&A
www.whiteflash.com (ACA line)
www.briangavindiamonds.com (Signature line)
www.goodoldgold.com (traditional & modified H&As w/ a ton of extra info)
www.highperformancediamonds.com (they sell the crafted by infinity line www.craftedbyinfinity.com w/ extra info)
www.niceice.com (also sells Infinities w/ lots of extra info)
www.jamesallen.com (lower pricepoints but you have to weed through inventory more, less info than other sites)

Non-H&A
www.jamesallen.com
www.whiteflash.com (their ES line often have excellent stones that just missed the ACA branding for whatever reason, but they also carry higher premiums than other vendors' non-H&As. They are considered branded stones and come with all WF's various guarantees/warrantees/upgrade/trade/buyback policies).
www.idjewelryonline.com
www.exceldiamonds.com

If you want to do something completely different, with a coloured diamond, you might contact David at www.diamondsbylauren.com

Hope it helps :))

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Wow! Thank you for the thorough reply, very informative.

I think I have a good idea for the diamond, what you posted seems in my range. I just need to set my mind for the setting. I agree with you that the setting I posted, though unique, might have a more masculine look than the popular settings on WF/BGD.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what does the acronyms 'IS' and 'ETA' mean? (In this context, it's not Estimated Time of Arrival ;-)
My girlfriend mentioned that she'd prefer a solitaire but with a band with a pavé. BGD got some nice designs but more expensive than WF or BlueNile. I have still a lot of browsing and looking to do... ;-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shakkan|1295068513|2823287 said:
Wow! Thank you for the thorough reply, very informative.

I think I have a good idea for the diamond, what you posted seems in my range. I just need to set my mind for the setting. I agree with you that the setting I posted, though unique, might have a more masculine look than the popular settings on WF/BGD.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what does the acronyms 'IS' and 'ETA' mean? (In this context, it's not Estimated Time of Arrival ;-)
My girlfriend mentioned that she'd prefer a solitaire but with a band with a pavé. BGD got some nice designs but more expensive than WF or BlueNile. I have still a lot of browsing and looking to do... ;-)

IS = idealscope photo www.ideal-scope.com,, the red and black photos on the WF & BGD sites.
ETA - edited to add ;))

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Hi again,

What do you mean by "request hearts retake" for that Whiteflash ACA posted above? I can see the hearts pic in the description.

Also, do you know about Blue Nile? They seem to have great prices but probably not cuts as high grade as BGD's Signature and WF's ACA. I wonder if it's worth the 400-500$ price premium, though I must admit I am a perfectionist. I want to maximize what I get with my little budget. :) H&A definitely looks neat but I couldn't compare H&A and non-H&A side by side with light reflection and what not.

The more I look at it, the more I think my target will be SI1, 0.6ct, ideal cut (possibly H&A?) and color between G and J.
It's almost harder to choose her ring than our house. heh ;-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shakkan|1295072690|2823312 said:
Hi again,

What do you mean by "request hearts retake" for that Whiteflash ACA posted above? I can see the hearts pic in the description.
uneven V in the hearts pic, likely artifact of photography - stone was slightly tilted relative to scope when the photo was taken. It's very minor - I wouldn't worry about it at all except that you do want as perfect a picture as possible for insurance, because if there is an issue they will replace based on what you give them - and only that, and you don't want to be fighting the "well the camera wasn't straight!" battle with all the other stress you'd be under, if you go with a less-generous company or plan that does not let you choose your own vendor/brand..

Also, do you know about Blue Nile? They seem to have great prices but probably not cuts as high grade as BGD's Signature and WF's ACA. I wonder if it's worth the 400-500$ price premium, though I must admit I am a perfectionist. I want to maximize what I get with my little budget. :) H&A definitely looks neat but I couldn't compare H&A and non-H&A side by side with light reflection and what not.
BN is a drop-shipper - the huge inventory they show on the website is mostly virtual, only their signature stones are in-house (on-hand for a gemologist to look at on-site). They advertise them as H&A but will not show images of the hearts to prove this, though you have the GCAL report that shows arrows.. but nice arrow formations are easier to cut than those picture-perfect hearts, and a stone can have very appealing arrows and slightly off hearts. Will the difference be visible to you when you look at two superbly proportioned stones, one a near-H&A and one a "true" H&A? No. But, if you're paying extra for a stone with the precision of cut that is required to create nice hearts and nice arrows, you want pictures of the hearts to prove it. BN's signature line also does not include any upgrade/trade-in/buyback policies that I know of, so IMO there is little advantage to purchasing one of these stones.

If you are a perfectionist and you like the "mind-clean-ness" of having those picture perfect hearts in your diamond - then obviously satisfying that desire is not a waste 8) but if you are just looking for a stone that performs well a non-branded non-H&A might better fit the bill. Policies on these non-branded stones will vary by stone and vendor, you'll want to inquire prior to purchase.

The more I look at it, the more I think my target will be SI1, 0.6ct, ideal cut (possibly H&A?) and color between G and J.

well, as you can see, you have plenty of options. Good luck!
It's almost harder to choose her ring than our house. heh ;-)

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Hi again!

I spent the whole evening yesterday browsing and reading. Did I miss something or it seems like some BGD H&A's might be a little cheaper than Whiteflash's ACA? For example, those 2 diamonds from BGD are a tad cheaper than the ones posted above at Whiteflash and seem to be in the same league (~0.6ct, Ideal Cut, H&A, no fluo, H color, etc.). Is it because of the feather on the first link below? What do you think about those?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104046146004
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104048050009

Also, on Whiteflash, whether I choose a diamond from the ACA category or Virtual Selection, the top always seems to have arrows (hence an H&A no?). That got me a bit confused. :|
Like this one that is very cheap but pic shows arrows on top:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2510450.htm

I badly need to set my mind on the setting... This is killing me. hehe

Many thanks again! You are life savers.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

if you notice on the photo of the virtual selection diamond, it says "sample image of a round cut diamond". the virtual stones are not in WF's physical inventory, so they do not have pictures of them. WF can call in those diamonds but there may be a shipping fee if you do not decide to keep the diamond they call in for you. However, a diamond can show arrows without having perfect hearts.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ditto slg.

and in the pic you attached of the virtual it says "sample image" on the bottom.

E B

Ideal_Rock

Shakkan|1295062672|2823258 said:
Like member "E B" posted (but also deleted...? heh), I could have bands soldered to it but the whole setting would become very expensive. :\ I looked at the gallery in WF and BGD but found nothing comparable to the setting I posted. Maybe I should open my mind to something else. ;p

Busted! ;)) I realized pretty quickly after posting that suggestion that it could get pretty pricey, so I deleted quickly, but not quite quickly enough.

If you're sure she'd like the look of two pave bands with a plain setting in between, you could always buy one pave band now, and the other for your first anniversary. Another option is a ring guard (two bands as one piece that the engagement ring slips between)- the very words bring a host of awful 80s pieces to mind at first, but modern looking guards exist! Here's an option from Stuller that BGD might be able to order and add their ideal melee to it:

http://www.stuller.com/products/62397/?groupId=31296

This way, it isn't all one piece and she can choose to wear the e-ring alone or with a plain band on occasion. It really all depends on what your girlfriend would like most.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

E B said:
Busted! ;)) I realized pretty quickly after posting that suggestion that it could get pretty pricey, so I deleted quickly, but not quite quickly enough.

If you're sure she'd like the look of two pave bands with a plain setting in between, you could always buy one pave band now, and the other for your first anniversary. Another option is a ring guard (two bands as one piece that the engagement ring slips between)- the very words bring a host of awful 80s pieces to mind at first, but modern looking guards exist! Here's an option from Stuller that BGD might be able to order and add their ideal melee to it:

http://www.stuller.com/products/62397/?groupId=31296

This way, it isn't all one piece and she can choose to wear the e-ring alone or with a plain band on occasion. It really all depends on what your girlfriend would like most.

I am in agreement with EB. I would buy her a nice diamond solitaire setting right now. You could pick out the wedding band(s) together afterward or you could buy one now and buy one for the other side at a later time. She could decide whether or not to solder it all together or keep them separate.

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Hello!

I went shopping with my girlfriend today so I could innocently get more details about her yet-unknown-to-her ring tastes... heh
Indeed, you guys are right. The solitaire now with the wedding pave after is the best choice. Also, thank you for the explanation on Virtual Selection, H&A at WF. That explains everything.

That's funny because the link E B posted has the setting my gf preferred in-store today, one where the ring gets narrower as it reaches the stone to put more emphasis on the stone (I don't know if I'm clear...). I have a better idea about the setting I want now, and I also could determine solidly her finger size without any suspicion. :D

What do you guys think about 14k vs 18k vs plat.? I'm a bit concerned 18k would require a lot of maintenance and plat. is way more expensive and doesn't expand like 18k would (if her finger changes a bit across the years). 14k seems convenient but looks "cheap" for an e-ring I suppose. :(

Thanks again! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shakkan|1295163285|2824111 said:
Hello!

I went shopping with my girlfriend today so I could innocently get more details about her yet-unknown-to-her ring tastes... heh
Indeed, you guys are right. The solitaire now with the wedding pave after is the best choice. Also, thank you for the explanation on Virtual Selection, H&A at WF. That explains everything.

That's funny because the link E B posted has the setting my gf preferred in-store today, one where the ring gets narrower as it reaches the stone to put more emphasis on the stone (I don't know if I'm clear...). I have a better idea about the setting I want now, and I also could determine solidly her finger size without any suspicion. :D

What do you guys think about 14k vs 18k vs plat.? I'm a bit concerned 18k would require a lot of maintenance and plat. is way more expensive and doesn't expand like 18k would (if her finger changes a bit across the years). 14k seems convenient but looks "cheap" for an e-ring I suppose. :(

Thanks again! :)

-shank pinching/tapering in toward the head - just describe it and your jeweller will know what you mean!

-metals - article here

white gold 14/18k - most common alloy is nickel. Assuming she has no Ni-allergy obstacles. the bright chrome-like white is the result of electroplating a thin layer of rhodium onto the surface of the wg ring, masking the slightly yellow tinted colour of the Ni-alloy wg. Depending on her body chemistry and how often she wears the ring, the plating may take years to wear off or might wear off in a matter of weeks. At that point the ring will need to be replated, some internet vendors offer this as a free service but you must pay shipping, sometimes it is easier to have a local jeweller tend to this need - esp. if it is frequent. Gold does not patina like platinum, it stays shiny even as it gains scratches - you can have these scratches buffed out occasionally but every polish removes a small amount of metal so this would be an infrequent exercise. Specialty alloys (palladium wg that uses pd instead of Ni, so is hypoallergenic and I have heard white enough to not require plating, 19k wg, etc.) will command a premium, but may be an option if wg is her preference over plat or palladium.

Like I mentioned earlier 14k will cost less than 18k but if you go with a custom piece the difference will likely be less than you might think.. I prefer 18k wg for a ring because the alloys make gold brittle, 14k moreso than 18k which has higher gold content, and rings do come in contact with other surfaces, suffer sharp impacts - prongs are especially vulnerable because they're thin and protruding.

Plat - has she seen the patina in-person, and does she like or dislike it? The patina is an inevitable part of owning a platinum ring, no matter what alloy and how much one babies it! Some people like it, some people hate it, some people don't care. If she doesn't like it it can be polished out - same as plating, some vendors offer as free service but would need to pay shipping, might be better to find a trusted local jeweller. Plat can be polished with negligible metal loss - no worries about the metal thinning out in fifty years.. But, the patina is something to consider. I posted pictures of my old platinum set month-by-month as it gained a patina in this thread, if you're interested: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/platinum-vs-white-gold.147732/#post-2668608']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/platinum-vs-white-gold.147732/#post-2668608[/URL]

One other option to consider is palladium - cheaper than 18k wg, needs no plating, and is hypoallergenic like plat. It has its downsides like the other metals - you'll likely have to ship the ring out to the vendor every time you need work done if you don't live in a larger city because jewellers who are experienced w/ palladium are still few and far between, and it has received mixed reviews from owners here on PS. Geckodani is the first PSer who comes to mind who has a pd Ering, you might search her threads for her thoughts.

All in all - there's really no perfect metal! All have advantages and disadvantages - all depends on which is more important to you.

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Thank you again for the informative post. I didn't know about the patina effect with platinum. Unfortunately, I don't know if she has Ni allergies because she doesn't know herself (never wore a ring except an engineer one which is made of iron heh). The pics you posted in that other thread are very self-explanatory, I think my girlfriend would prefer a shiny ring so 18k WG would be a safe bet. I'm just not too fond of the possible high maintenance requirements (plating etc.) and possible allergies but I'm kinda stuck here and will have to gamble I guess. ;<

orchidlala said:
Although my budget was a bit different from yours I decided to post the bulk of my money into getting the best diamond I could find for her and spending what I had left over on the setting, which can easily be replaced.

You check out Eternity Diamonds: http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement_rings.php they have some great rings starting at a very reasonable price, even if you don't end up upgrading the setting later on. They have great customer service and will even send you a sample to try out for FREE, you just have to return it within 10 days.

Eternity Diamonds has very cheap settings and the 'Try It for Free' looks interesting because I'm starting to panic now. Her birthday is February 1st and sometimes on WF, it says to allow 10 business days for completion. :(( I know I'm late but it's not because of laziness but due to other circumstances... The 'Try It for Free' option might be my escape route if I can't get the real thing in time. ;p

Thanks!

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Very good suggestion! How do you compare BGD Signature diamonds (H&A) with WF's ACA?
Of course, if I want to have a chance to get the real ring before the big date, I need to buy both the setting and the diamond from the same place, that's why I'm asking. :)

I think those are the WF equivalents:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-432.htm
They are similar but the 2nd one doesn't have each end touch the head (please forgive my english, it's my 2nd language :cheeky: ), is there any known annoyances to having that kind of setting? i.e. ring getting stuck in clothing?

Also something very important to consider... can a wedding band fit with those 3 (the one you posted from BGD and those 2 from WF)? I see a little notch in the middle for all three of them, is this to assure flush-fit with a wedding band?

The price of the ring you posted is very good also... I'm now having second thoughts on the budget. For those of you who purchased the ring (men I assume ;-), did you apply the famous 2-months salary budget for the ring? If that's the general rule, then I would feel I cheaped out but at the same time, girlfriend would think I'd have spent too much (though she doesn't need to know). If I buy a setting like the one you posted, maybe I can put a bigger diamond (0.6-0.7ct) :) ...but yeah, I must plan I'll have to buy a wedding band also (which could have a pavé).

All of you guys are always of tremendous help, many many thanks. I promise I will post a picture of her with the ring after it's all done. ;-)

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Shakkan said:
Very good suggestion! How do you compare BGD Signature diamonds (H&A) with WF's ACA?

both are great, superb choices for a ring

Of course, if I want to have a chance to get the real ring before the big date, I need to buy both the setting and the diamond from the same place, that's why I'm asking. :)

I think those are the WF equivalents:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-432.htm
They are similar but the 2nd one doesn't have each end touch the head (please forgive my english, it's my 2nd language :cheeky: ), is there any known annoyances to having that kind of setting? i.e. ring getting stuck in clothing?

I personally don't like the look of the non-integrated head, although it is less expensive

Also something very important to consider... can a wedding band fit with those 3 (the one you posted from BGD and those 2 from WF)? I see a little notch in the middle for all three of them, is this to assure flush-fit with a wedding band?

no, the notch will not allow the ring to sit flush. there will be a small gap. if you want it to be perfectly flush, what about this setting?
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/flush-fit-cathedral-style-diamond-ring-43.htm

The price of the ring you posted is very good also... I'm now having second thoughts on the budget. For those of you who purchased the ring (men I assume ;-), did you apply the famous 2-months salary budget for the ring? If that's the general rule, then I would feel I cheaped out but at the same time, girlfriend would think I'd have spent too much (though she doesn't need to know). If I buy a setting like the one you posted, maybe I can put a bigger diamond (0.6-0.7ct) :) ...but yeah, I must plan I'll have to buy a wedding band also (which could have a pavé).

honestly I would spend whatever you feel comfortable spending. I think a solitaire setting with a pave band sounds really nice, but you would need to plan to save for the band.

All of you guys are always of tremendous help, many many thanks. I promise I will post a picture of her with the ring after it's all done. ;-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the answers, slg47 and thanks for the pictures, Yssie. Pretty nice. :)

This might be my last post before I pull the trigger! I called BGD and spoke with Lesley who assured me that if I order by tomorrow noon, I get the ring before end of January. I pretty much made my choice on the setting but I'm hesitating between two that look pretty similar:

- BGD Classic Truth : http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5369
- WF Legato Sleek Line : http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

What I prefer a "tad" more on the WF vers. is that it tapers more toward the top but the BGD version seems to have a more diamond-revealing head. Anyway, I think I could do with either of them. :) Only restriction I have is to buy setting + diamond from the same place to be sure to get the ring on time.

Here are the diamonds I'm interested in (could you please tell me whether you recommend them or not judging by certificate, reports, grades, etc.?) I'm debating whether it would be worth it to spend 130$ extra to jump from SI1 to VS2 (no feather/clouds on 2nd one...), or if I jump to the 0.65ct one and pay the extra 230$ on top of 1st one's price.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104046146004
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104048050009
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104048050002

WF (if I were to choose the Legato Sleek Line setting):
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2544613.htm (more expensive for smaller :()

Thanks A LOT again! I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Never thought I'd have that much fun shopping for a ring. :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BGD 1 - request hearts photo retake, otherwise looks good
BGD 2 - request hearts pic, otherwise looks good
BGD 3 - request hearts pic, otherwise looks good

If you lined them up in a row I would wager you would not see an iota of difference between the way they perform. Similar enough numbers, images, etc. to make any sort of selection or rejection evaluation of light output by the info given impossible.. I recommend calling BGD and asking their professional opinion, they have the stones in hand and can give you much more thorough run-through than we can :))

I think you would see the size difference between #3 and the other two if proximal, but once set it would very much depend on your visual acuity and memory for these things.

The WF also looks very nice - and yes, I think visibly smaller than BGD #3 loose and set, but it's also higher colour than the BGDs.
-0.61 H SI1 ACA, a little more if you pay by wire transfer http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2561999.htm

Finish on settings from both vendors will be excellent, would not worry about a difference in quality. Both settings look to be listed as tapering - the WF from 1.35mm to 2.5mm and the BGD from 1.8mm to 2.75mm, WF's definitely more pronounced though.

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Hello there,

Probably last post because I propose. ;-)
I placed my order at BGD:

Setting:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5369 and they will do the 1.35mm to 2.50mm tapering for no additional cost. In my opinion, it is more suitable especially because the diamond I chose is not huge compared to some others I see here. ;-) The pronounced tapering will put more emphasis on the diamond and I know she likes the style.

Diamond:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104048050002

They will also provide hearts picture before assembling so that's good. Thanks Yssie for the heads up.
I will shop for the wedding band later on but I already know approximately what I want (compared to the e-ring heh).

Thanks again everyone and I will post again w/ pics after it's all been said and done. ;p

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats!!

You chose a gorgeous stone and the setting will be beautiful - please come back with pictures and handshots :bigsmile:

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

I sure will, it's the least I can do after all the help I received here. :appl:

Shakkan

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone,

We are now engaged (she had better said yes with all the efforts I made! ;-) and the moment was captured on video and photos. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks again for all your good advice! She is still amazed by the diamond's light performance. ...I am, myself. ;p

IMG_2585.jpg
IMG_2586.jpg
IMG_2587.jpg
P1030552.jpg
P1030556.jpg
P1030559.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Congrats. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results