shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent Jade Bangle Advice!

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I have this jade bangle on hold for 12 hours.
It's listed as second quality and I got some extra pictures of the flaws from the seller.
I would like your advice on whether the flaws affect durability and whether this will be safe for daily wear.
Thanks!

D06B1672-EAF9-4FF1-90C3-18263F3847E5.png 1FCBB292-F644-4EF3-91ED-C272BEE9957D.png F7ECFA26-CB9B-4822-B5DF-26F99AE75938.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not a jade expert by any stretch of the imagination though I’ve bought a few jade bangles.
It is very difficult to buy jade bangles online. You really need a totally reputable seller and appropriate certification to ensure you a buying grade A and not grade B or worse, grade C.
The grade dramatically affects value. Grade A can be worth a few hundred to many tens of thousands. Grade B and C are basically without value.
Flaws do affect durability. Stone lines (flaws in the crystalline structure) can cause breakage. You need a very experienced eye to assess whether such a flaw is merely cosmetic or a potential fracture line. You only have to look at the vast number of jade bangles which have been repurposed/ repaired to make hinged bangles or segment bracelets to appreciate that breakage is an issue.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
@Bron357 thank you for your reply.

I have read various threads about reputable sellers and they seem really hard to find. Since I have a low budget and no other option than online I just have to make a call and go with it. This seller does state all their stuff is grade A and comes with a certificate (and I know not all certificates are worth the paper they're written on, but again, there comes a point where I just want to make a decision and go with it).

This bangle is approx $150 USD, which is as much as I want to spend.

I just want something pretty that I can wear without a much higher risk of breakage than any other jade bangle.

Do you think it's worth it?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying jade bangles is not for the faint hearted! The problem is that the factors that affect value are difficult to understand and quantify, even for the experienced buyers, and as a novice buying online on the basis of a few photos, is fraught with difficulty. And yes, there are many many “fake” certificates which are almost impossible to ID for a person not fluent in Chinese.
I can’t say that $150 is a good price or a bad price. Obviously $150 isn’t going to buy a great jade bangle but if you love it, why not. I bought my two bangles for a similar modest outlay based on their looks.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
I collect jade, and have found flaws to be a highly personal thing as to what's acceptable and what's not. There are two reasons I would decide against that bangle. One, objectively, it has a loose looking crystal structure. This is evident in the type of flaw, a chip vs a long line fissure. Second, the high content of large black inclusions and fly wings are not particularly attractive in real life. The black spots are cool when they look inky, but when with fly wings it makes schisty type of appearance.

On a personal preference level, I'd take a water line or surface reaching fissure above a chip because even when the jade is fine, if it has a chip it tends to grow over time (especially if, like me, you're fidgety and pick at things).

I'vefound with bangles, the best approach is to clearly define in your mind what you want first (cost, color, size, acceptable flaws, etc.), then seek out only that item. As it takes a long time to meet your criteria, you can save $ as you look, and by the end you'll have found your ideal bangle and will be able to afford it.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!
I got excited because I really like the colour, but I think I should slow down and take the time to find something that at least starts out without chips.

Can you recommend any reputable sellers (yes, I know this can be tricky) apart from Ultimate Jadeite?

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!
I got excited because I really like the colour, but I think I should slow down and take the time to find something that at least starts out without chips.

Can you recommend any reputable sellers (yes, I know this can be tricky) apart from Ultimate Jadeite?

I get really crazy excited with jade too. My mom calls it "jade fever" and it's so real, I think because each piece is so unique and it has that Pokemon appeal (gotta catch 'em all).

I've purchased good jadeite from Ultimate Jadeite, but the following sellers have good A jade at wider price points:

Kathy Jade has great deals on bangles sometimes but you have to check their inventory daily to catch it before loyal followers buy (they have a 10x purchase price guarantee if it's not A grade)

UniJade on eBay (bangles are OK, but I think they specialize in pendants)

GoJade on eBay (though some people think they overwax, I personally disagree)

MatsAlice on eBay is a great seller with good prices and return policy, (and I think has a guarantee on A grade quality)

Jade Diver on Etsy has cool stuff, and a variety of unique North American jadeites and nephrite (I've never purchased from him though he is quite reputable)

3Jade eBay or shop too, though they specialize in nephrite (I've gotten good jadeite from them too)

I did dive into Taobao but shipping logistics kinda and working through Google translate kinda gave me a heart attack. And have dabbled with other eBay sellers but IDK if they're still around. I've also heard Mays of Australia is good for jade.

Mason Kay is a good testing lab for jade, as they are the only US lab to utilize infared spectrometry to be sure it's not treated jade, and I think they charge $80 for that if you felt it was necessary. A seller who will give you a full guarantee that if at any time your jade turns out to be not what they said it is they'll allow a return is the ideal, then you can have it tested when you can if you want.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered this ring from MatsAlice. Icey white jadeite and 18k yellow gold. I made an offer that was 30% off the listed price just FYI. Will report back when it arrives.

592E8153-5C46-4092-A33B-D5E8CD04B648.jpeg

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I enjoy the look of translucent jade pooling among the black inclusions, knowing that these are where the piece will break when it does break. I'd gues this one can take one sharp blow - it might take months or years or days until it does.

Jade fever did a thing to my finances once upon a time; I've lived it down & I find myself wishing for something worth keeping; bangles just don't work - I like the look of the large & feel of the light, & IDK to suffer through them either way. rambling

The only bangles I regret were unwearable - might have fit as anklets, come to think of it; and were not inexpensive for me, & still, they could be sitting around a pen holder on this table making me happy...

Last edited:

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
I enjoy the look of translucent jade pooling among the black inclusions, knowing that these are where the piece will break when it does break. I'd gues this one can take one sharp blow - it might take months or years or days until it does.

Jade fever did a thing to my finances once upon a time; I've lived it down & I find myself wishing for something worth keeping; bangles just don't work - I like the look of the large & feel of the light, & IDK to suffer through them either way. rambling

The only bangles I regret were unwearable - might have fit as anklets, come to think of it; and were not inexpensive for me, & still, they could be sitting around a pen holder on this table making me happy...

I've got a couple regrets too. I had to sell 4 bangles that I LOVED because they were so big, and have a few more in the "looks significantly different IRL or is too big" box (which I'll probably consign at some time or another).

Reactions: AV_

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered this ring from MatsAlice. Icey white jadeite and 18k yellow gold. I made an offer that was 30% off the listed price just FYI. Will report back when it arrives.

592E8153-5C46-4092-A33B-D5E8CD04B648.jpeg

I didn't know you were a Jade fan! How exciting!!! Please post pics for us when you get it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know you were a Jade fan! How exciting!!! Please post pics for us when you get it!

Yup! I have a moss in snow jadeite bangle and a few pendants. this will be my first ring though!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I need help! This little ring is cute, but I can't decipher the freaking translation! :wall: What is the little critter on the ring, what is the stone ("pink treasure":confused:) , and what size is it? It's also on eBay, for less, but that has zero information.

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 10.14.33 PM.png

Ring

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 10.14.33 PM.png
    753.1 KB · Views: 30

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look up “Myanmar jadeite bangle wholesale“ on Facebook. I think she’s a good seller. She sells varying levels of bangle quality at lots of price points. I got my bangle from her and I’m happy with the transaction.

You can use Google translate for the certificates- it will work if you use the camera on your phone, I was amazed when it worked!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi,
I have this jade bangle on hold for 12 hours.
It's listed as second quality and I got some extra pictures of the flaws from the seller.
I would like your advice on whether the flaws affect durability and whether this will be safe for daily wear.
Thanks!

D06B1672-EAF9-4FF1-90C3-18263F3847E5.png 1FCBB292-F644-4EF3-91ED-C272BEE9957D.png F7ECFA26-CB9B-4822-B5DF-26F99AE75938.png

This is actually just a rough surface and not a crack. This is either cut near the boulder rind or where another mineral ran through the boulder. Does not affect durability.

However, in totality, the jadeite bangle in the photo is just of so so quality as the sugar texture typical of many lavender jadeite is very evident. They would call this young jadeite as opposed to older mine. Also lacking in "water" hence no lustre to the jadeite. Black flecks are ok though aesthetically not pleasing in this particular case.

Idk. Jadeite prices go all over the place. I sold at cost and from my personal stash the 10mm icy round type A jadeite cab below to my colleague whose fiancee is jadeite crazy. US$100 ish vs over $500 in the shops here :) So he has more money to save towards the wedding! So look around more and learn, it's a very wide field of jadeite.

IMG-20200224-WA0011.jpeg IMG-20200224-WA0013.jpeg IMG-20200224-WA0019.jpeg

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I need help! This little ring is cute, but I can't decipher the freaking translation! :wall: What is the little critter on the ring, what is the stone ("pink treasure":confused:) , and what size is it? It's also on eBay, for less, but that has zero information.

Ring

Thank you!

-Inner diameter 1.73cm = about a US 7
-18k white gold, high polish
-Pink treasure accent = pink sapphire, treatment not mentioned
-The center is a Pixiu measuring 15mm x 9mm (they have really good mythology, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixiu)
-Ice seed/glass texture means it should be almost transparent, and the grain should not be very distinguishable (but still will a little); this piece does not appear to be "high" glass texture so there would be more translucent vs transparent areas

Kathy Jade is awesome, and one of the few jade sellers whose stuff has looked better IRL to me. They are based in Taiwan, with a few shop locations. Their eBay is KooJade. I purchased a holiday blind item box from them this year, so have the chance of seeing lots of their stuff. It's all been good. And they have a 10x your money back guarantee if items are not A jade, as they have operations in Myanmar.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MissSarah Thank you! I just think the ring is so cute, and I couldn't tell if it was a rabbit or baby drangony-thing.

You have been a huge help and I appreciate it!

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
@MissSarah Thank you! I just think the ring is so cute, and I couldn't tell if it was a rabbit or baby drangony-thing.

You have been a huge help and I appreciate it!

It is cute! I love the pixiu carvings, they all have their own personalities. If you get it, please post pictures.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought it! I've never used Google translate so much! I just hope I did it right! :oops2: I loved the carving, which is finer than the ebay-listed rings they have. I also was drawn to the mythology of the pixiu.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
This is actually just a rough surface and not a crack. This is either cut near the boulder rind or where another mineral ran through the boulder. Does not affect durability.

However, in totality, the jadeite bangle in the photo is just of so so quality as the sugar texture typical of many lavender jadeite is very evident. They would call this young jadeite as opposed to older mine. Also lacking in "water" hence no lustre to the jadeite. Black flecks are ok though aesthetically not pleasing in this particular case.

So look around more and learn, it's a very wide field of jadeite.

Thank you for this.

I have been looking around and reading all the info I can find for a while. I think I will have to give up on my idea as I really want lavender colour, not green, but am not willing to spend more than around US$100 on something that I can't see in advance and has the risk of not being grade A, etc... And I don't think I will be able to find lavender (even very pale) on that budget.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought it! I've never used Google translate so much! I just hope I did it right! :oops2: I loved the carving, which is finer than the ebay-listed rings they have. I also was drawn to the mythology of the pixiu.

Omg well done!!!!

Kathy Jade right?

Quite a few PSers have bought from them and have been very happy!!!

Please post lots of pics!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MrsKMB - nice, did you work out what it is? It looks like a frog from behind and a dragon when you look at it's face?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@arkieb1 I think it looks like a mean bunny! But it said it's a pixiu. For some reason, I love the little guy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results