shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent Help Needed! I need to buy a pearl pendant gift

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I visited Pricescope, but you're just the ones to help me in this desperate hour. Two years ago, I bought my then-16 year old a beautiful teardrop shaped freshwater pearl pendant set in 18k white gold for her 16th birthday. It was stunning, and she loves it, but it was pricey, with a handmade setting, at around $700.

I just realized my younger daughter's 16th birthday is coming up, and I want to buy her a similarly stunning freshwater pearl pendant, but I can't afford now to go back to that same jeweler (Richard W. Wise, author of Secrets of the Gem Trade). I've looked at American Pearl and Pearl Paradise, and it looks like all their freshwater pearl pendants are round.

Anyone have any ideas where I can go to find a fabulous teardrop freshwater pearl pendant? Many thanks in advance!

Those are natural in color. The exotic line is stunning :bigsmile:

I do suggest just calling PP in the morning because they DO carry white drops and they could make you one :) they are super friendly and have great products.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I know Pearl Paradise in May had quite a few freshwater drops very beautiful ones too (multi colored and metalic too). I would call them. If they do not have what you are looking for email Sarah at Kojima Pearl I have seen several on her site sometimes. Both Pearl Paradise and Kojima Pearl have many, many more pearls than the few that make it on the web site. Good hunting

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the help! I'll call PP August 1, after I return from vacation. That should still be enough time to get a pendant for her birthday. The pearls are so beautiful on the website, it's hard to believe the prices are so much lower than Mikimoto . . .

portoar|1311296385|2974198 said:
Thanks for the help! I'll call PP August 1, after I return from vacation. That should still be enough time to get a pendant for her birthday. The pearls are so beautiful on the website, it's hard to believe the prices are so much lower than Mikimoto . . .

Actually, it's more like Miki's are overpriced and they don't always have the best quality. Though, the have done fabulous on their marketing campaign to make people think otherwise.

After learning more about pearls, I think of Mikis like the "tiffany" of pearls (overpriced for the same quality that you can find elsewhere re: their diamonds). But don't even get me started on Tiffany pearls! HAHA

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1311492056|2975657 said:
portoar|1311296385|2974198 said:

Actually, it's more like Miki's are overpriced and they don't always have the best quality. Though, the have done fabulous on their marketing campaign to make people think otherwise.

After learning more about pearls, I think of Mikis like the "tiffany" of pearls (overpriced for the same quality that you can find elsewhere re: their diamonds). But don't even get me started on Tiffany pearls! HAHA
What she said :appl:

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I ordered my daughter's pendant today. I'll be anxious to see how it turns out. I phoned PP, and the woman who answered just told me to go to their website, order a loose pearl, setting, chain and clasp ala carte. I left instructions in the instruction box about the shade of pearl I want.

If this one goes well, my other daughter's 18th bday is coming up in six months, and I'll order some drop earrings to go with the pendant she got for her 16th.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I received the pearl pendant I ordered from Pearl Paradise today. I must say, I'm terribly disappointed.

I ended up ordering an Exotic Freshwater Pearl pendant. The metallic sheen on the website looked beautiful, and I've seen some pictures of the exotic pearls people on this forum have posted and they were beautiful. Everyone has posted such positive experiences.

The pearl they sent me doesn't look *anything* like the pearls on the website. I can discern no metallic sheen or luster whatsoever on the pearl, and the luster is not even that great. I'll have to examine the pearl more closely, but I think it even had a small dimple on the bottom of the pearl. I was so surprised that I actually checked the invoice that accompanied the pearl to make sure it said what I thought I ordered.

I'll be calling or emailing them in the morning about returning this pendant. Too bad, because my daughter's 16th birthday is tomorrow, and I was hoping to have a nice pearl pendant for her. On the other hand, my older daughter received her 16th birthday pearl pendant about a month late, so the precedent is there, and maybe I can work with PP to get a better pearl. My older daughter's freshwater drop pearl is so much nicer than this one, I can't work with the pearl PP sent me.

Back to the drawing board . . . I am sure they have a beautiful pearl in their stock somewhere . . .

Oh no!!!!!
:blackeye:
I am sorry you are disappointed. If you are willing to give them another chance, I would call and specifically talk to Elia or Mia and explain:
1. What type of pearl you were expecting
2. What type of pearl you got
3. That this is a birthday gift for someone.. TOMORROW
4. and if they can personally search for the most stunning pearl they have!

When I got my first exotics I was also let down a little. I think a lot has to do with lighting, because the next day when I was able to see them in daylight they looked sooooo much better and I fell in love with them. Another thing to note is that the more mirror like luster is sharper on the smaller pearls. They get noticeably less sharp the larger the pearl gets. I am also wondering if their stock is low right now since I see a few things have been out of stock for a while.

Again I'm sorry you were so disappointed. They usually make everything right though if you tell them about it.

As far as the birthday gift... For me, it would be awesome to have the necklace on my birthday (or hers YKWIM) but I would much rather wait for a nicer pearl! Maybe whe. You get it you could do a second birthday dinner or something to still make the gift/ day special?

Just thinking here :))

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
PP just sent me some photos of pearls to choose from for the pendant. The one I returned is the top row, middle one, the very orange/peach one.

I'm leaning toward the one to the right of that, or the smaller pearl at the top right. After talking to my daughter, I've determined that she doesn't want a drop pearl because she wants something different from her sister's pendant.

The first 3 pearls on the top row are 10.5-11 mm, and the very right one is 9mm.

What do you all think?

Pearlchoices.jpg

I think the one on the direct right of the pendant.

And then the drops for earrings (below) to match.. and then the other drops for the other sister (holiday gift?)

:love:

I'm glad PP is helping you out!

OK the drops are not *perfect* matches, but I stand by the earrings too.. I'm sure they could match some for you.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, PP has been really great so far. I agree, those drops are really pretty, but I emailed them and asked for the one to the right of the orange/peach one I returned.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Today a new freshwater metallic pearl pendant for my daughter's 16th birthday arrived from PP. The pearl is absolutely gorgeous, it compliments her skin tone perfectly, and she loves it!

The customer service from PP was just wonderful.

The pendant is the Classic Collection 10.5-11.0 mm Exotic Freshwater Pearl Pendant and the actual pearl is the top row, second from the right in the photo I uploaded earlier in this thread.

Can't wait to make another purchase from PP ;-)

:appl: Glad you are happy and glad you gave them a chance to fix it!

Awesome story.. and such a sweet gift!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results