shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent help needed! Going back to Jeweler tomorrow morning to get ring sized smaller

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I finally received my dream ring, the Ritani without the halo. It is a tad bit too big, so I am going back to the jeweler tomorrow. However, there are a few problems that I am going to ask him to change. For example, the prongs are not equal in thickness and length. They are also crooked. Second, I noticed that the basket seems to have less diamonds than it should for almost a 1.6 stone. I know that some others with this ring had the same problem. Lastly, the jeweler set it somewhat high (for the Ritani) which is normally a llow setting. In the meantime though, I have gotten used to how much the high setting makes the diamond pop and look bigger and I am worried that if I have the stone set lower as it should be, it might make it look smaller or not stand out as much. There is only one angle that I don''t really care for b/c of the higher setting, it is the 3/4 angle where you see the entire diamond, from culet to table. It makes the setting a little unique, but I''m just not sure about it. Other than that angle, it doesn''t bother me. I am going to post some pictures so you guys can give me your opinion: lower it or leave it as it is? Please help.... I am so confused!

Thanks a bunch!!!

Ritani 002.jpg

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock

Ritani 003.jpg

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock

Ritani 004.jpg

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock

Ritani 005.jpg

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock

Ritani 006.jpg

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock

Ritani 007.jpg

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock

Ritani 0011234.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d definitely go lower! That diamond does look high and it looks awkward in my personal opinion. I think the stone will still pop set lower and the stone should also be somewhat more secure that way too. I think the setting will flow better with the stone if it was set lower. Those diamonds are supposed to sit right under the girdle of the stone.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
I think the setting is exquisite and what a gorgeous stone.... you lucky girl you!
I am biased towards low settings, so I would ask to reset the diamond lower. I guess that comes from seeing these kind of settings set so the diamond''s girdle is slighty above the basket and the culet shows up below the basket.
With that said, I don''t have the knowledge to know whether this could be done safely and without negative consequences.
I ask for a million and one tweakings in my day and sometimes you end up with some bad results.
So, if it can be done safely, I would reset lower. Out of curiosity, can you send it to Ritani for a reset?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did the jeweler set that for you? And was it an in store setting? To me it looks almost like the setting was made for a smaller stone...it should def. sit a lot lower. When I had my Ritani my girdle was just a hair over the diamonds on the basket.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am almost postive that stones should be sent TO Ritani for setting! That might explain the incorrect setting job. Your stone should have been sent to Ritani and the correct size head would be made for your stone and they would set it. I wouldn''t accept it unless they send it to Ritani to fix. That is not how that ring is supposed to look.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, I think they may have tried to set your stone in a sample setting that was intended for a smaller stone. Here is the way a 1.6 ct. stone is supposed to look after setting. Frankly, if they won''t send your diamond to Ritani and have your ring done right, I''d ask for my stone and my money back and get someone else like Pearlmans to get your setting.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/stunning-1-60-k-vs-aca-in-ritani-setting.47645/

vivi%20wf%20a.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks too high for me as well, I would definitely ask for it to be reset lower.

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your opinions. When I first saw it, my first reaction was the same... that it should definately be lower. But, I guess I have become used to it. The thought did cross my mind that maybe the setting was not made for me and a sample, but the fact that we waited 4 weeks for it coupled with the fact that my ring size is a 3.5 made me rule that out. I figured I would have been able to tell whether the ring had been sized down that significantly. Normally sample rings come in much larger sizes. As for setting it, yes, the jeweler did set it. We purchased the stone and then the jeweler sent a copy of the certificate to Ritani in order to have the ring made. Ritani then sent it to the jeweler for setting. I definately want Ritani to do the re-setting as well as the sizing down (from a 3.5 to 3.25). Although I am not hopeful that they will, I think Ritani SHOULD make an entirely new setting with a basket that is appropriate for my stone. I have looked through tons of photos on this site of this setting and all of the stones that are in the 1.5 to 2.0 carat range have a minimum of 14 diamonds around the basket, some with 16. Mine only has 12, and those barely fit, which leads me to believe that the basket should be wider in diameter. This would also also make the space underneath the basket wider, allowing the culet to peek down. I just had another thought, do you think that the basket is smaller and the space underneath more narroe b/c the size of the ring is so small? Anywho, I''m rambling now. Just trying to figure this out...

Thanks again!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I completely agree with DS - to me at least, that setting looks entirely different to what we have come to expect from Ritani, and the examplt that DS posted.
I would really insist that the whole thing be sent back and evaluated by their quality control, as I can''t see Ritani being happy with that setting job - the reason I say this is because it gives the ring a whole different look imo.
I also prefer lower settings, but I agree, this looks like it may not fit your diamond properly..?

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at your pictures again and I think that the basket might (might) be of an acceptable size IMHO. The prongs go quite straight from where the diamond is not to where it should be (red lines in pic below), so lowering the diamond might still give you enough space to fit. It looks to me as if Ritani makes this setting with extra "prongage" to allow for proper finishing of the prongs. So to me, your jeweler utilized the extra "prongage" ritani would cut off.I hope this makes sense.

I took your picture , if the diamond is reset to where the red lines are, it might fit. Again, just my humble opinion.
However, that does not resolve the issues with the missing (not proper amount) of diamonds.

The most important thing is that you are 100% happy with it. If the number of diamonds is going to bug you, try to see if they can give you a new setting. No disrespect to your current jeweler, but I would prefer to have Ritani set the diamond for me in either case.

Ritanitosllprict.jpg

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
Well, I went back to the jeweler today and dropped off my ring. The jeweler was not actually in the store b/c he is at some conference, so I had to explain the issues to the saleswoman that was there. Even she agreed that my ring looked completely different than their sample ring. One strange thing, though, is that when I first went to look at the ring at their store, they had two samples. One with a 1.25 diamond and the other with a 2.0 diamond. The differences were very noticable. The 1.25 setting looked similar to how mine came out, but with a smaller diamond and lower set, while the 2.0 looked perfect with the wider basket. Today when I went back, I went to compare the 2 and the smaller sample is no longer there. It makes me wonder whether they gave me that one, which would explain the basket issue. Anyways, they will call me on Wednesday when the jewler gets back to discuss what will be done. I am positive that I want it sent back to Ritani so they can re-evaluate the basket (if the basket is the right size for my stone, then I have no complaints) and at a minimum set it properly. I will keep you guys posted! Thanks for the help.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
First, congratulations on your engagement! Sorry you have to deal with this but I am confident you will hold your ground and it will come back perfectly! The stone is gorgeous and it looks huge on your hand and with that beautiful, dainty band. Great choices!! I''ll keep an eye out for the new pics!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll cross my fingers it looks right when it gets lowered. It will probably look fine once it''s lowered, but if you are still unhappy you might as well ask about the larger basket on the display ring.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
Your new re-made ring is way gorgeous! I love this one much better than the one you got the first time. I am so happy for you that you finally got the ring of your dreams. Enjoy it!

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
I should have posted the above message in your new update! Sorry! (I was so excited about your beautiful re-make that I can''t think straight!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results