clarity

(Urgent) Asscher vs Emerald

SidAeron

Rough_Rock
I am trying to decide between the two diamonds
Emerald 2.01 I VVS2
Asscher 2.5 I VS1
Both are around 18k
These are the ASET images, can someone help if they are good? Or should i keep looking? asscher.jpg emerald.jpg

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Doyon have videos? I'm a newbie and not an expert in step cuts at all ... but that asscher ASET has way more color than that emerald. That EC seems rather dead in the center. But again - I would defer to both a video and an expert. Good luck!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would need to see pics/videos to be helpful

SidAeron

Rough_Rock
Tagging some experts, but everyone's opinions are welcome :)

@Karl_K
@Jimmianne
@kenny
@OoohShiny

Table: 65%
Depth: 67.7%

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Apples and oranges.
Once you decide which shape you want to target we can help.
We can not help with deciding about the shape.

SidAeron

Rough_Rock
I am flexible about the shape, i need some informed opinion on these diamonds' light reflection/cut, windmills etc. Once i find the right diamond, i will snag it irrespective of the shape.

i could make two separate posts about them, if that's the etiquette of this forum :)

(and now i am realizing my forum header is a bit misleading, i should've named it asscher 'and' emerald instead of 'vs')

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Asscher: aset has some tilt but looks good, not a huge fan of the low crown height and seems a bit lifeless in the video.

EC, ASET is useless because its so badly taken.
Video is inconclusive.

The asscher is not bad but there is better.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not good at picking asschers.
I'm just very good at buying them.
Why?
In a word, @Karl_K :dance:

Honestly Karl knows infinitely more than I about how to recognize a well-cut asscher or emerald cut.
Please DO listen to him!

If you can find one of the Octavia Asschers that he designed, grab it.
I wear one, and the light performance is amazing!!!

Karl's Octavia even rivals the light performance of the best-cut rounds (unheard of in square cut Asschers).
I'm speaking from experience ... I have two such rounds, a Whiteflash ACA and a Solasfera.
If you can't find an Octavia, I'd also strongly consider an authentic-branded Royal Asscher,.
Though it has more rows (for more, but smaller flashes, of light) its light performance has to be near that of the Octavia.
(Disclosure: I've never seen a Royal Asscher, let alone compared it side by side to my Octavia.
Because of Octavia's larger flashes, and RA's smaller ones I'd lean towards a RA if the weight was over 3 ct, and an Octavia if the weight was under 3 ct.
(Nothing scientific, just aesthetic personal preference)

The Octavia is so good that if I couln't find one for sale, I'd ask Karl's Octavia diamond cutter @diagem to source the rough diamond material and cut one for you.
This route won't be instant gratification for you, but IMO it's worth the wait.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the stone for y9u? Or someone else?

SidAeron

Rough_Rock
@kenny and @Karl_K Thanks! I will think about reaching out to @.diagem cutter. Not sure how this works but maybe I will start with a ping here.

@lovedogs This is going to be for my partner

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
If you want to specify some parameters-budget, color, clarity, etc. we may be able to make some suggestions.

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
As someone who has never been fond of the shape 'round' diamonds (but oh the fire~) I first loved emerald cut, then Asscher, but now I am really fond of the Quadex! Not round, more like the Asscher shape but the sparkle and fire of a round. Just amazing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny and @Karl_K Thanks! I will think about reaching out to @.diagem cutter. Not sure how this works but maybe I will start with a ping here.

FWIW here on Pricescope you "ping" someone by @ followed directly by their screen name.

In your post there is a period between @ and diagem.
That's why it didn't turn blue in your post, and is why Diagem won't see it.

You'll know you got it right when, after posting your post, the name looks blue like Karl and I do above.

Last edited:

SidAeron

Rough_Rock
@lulu_ma I want to not go lower than I in color and stay above VS1. Budget around 20k usd. I am torn between asscher and emerald so any of the two would work as long as the cut is great!

@kenny out of politeness I didn't tag the cutter @.diagem because you already did in the previous post and i didn't wanna spam them. Thanks for being so patient and sweet :)

@diagem any ideas on how to get my hands on some octavias? For natural diamonds i want to limit myself under 20k, for lab made around 5k.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SidAeron
Thanks, right after I posted it I edited my post to remove the ping. :))

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Didn't Yoram do a lab Octavia with a slight pink tint for a PSer a while back?
BTW, kenny, I was happy to see you refer to that cut as Karl's Octavia. Which it is.
Such is not in my budget but knowing of a colorful character in the LA area who has one just makes life better.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. :wavey:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@diagem any ideas on how to get my hands on some octavias? For natural diamonds i want to limit myself under 20k, for lab made around 5k.
Contact form for Yoram
Octavia Info Page

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't Yoram do a lab Octavia with a slight pink tint for a PSer a while back?
BTW, kenny, I was happy to see you refer to that cut as Karl's Octavia. Which it is.
Such is not in my budget but knowing of a colorful character in the LA area who has one just makes life better.

He did do a lab octavia and I coveted it soooo much. Sadly it was in the 10k+ range and I couldn't afford it. When I wrote yoram he explained that the time to cut lab octavias is such that they likely won't be cheaper than that, unfortunately

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Did your partner express a preference for shape? I ask because lots of folks are very specfici about shape so I think it's important to know for sure what he or she likes

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
How do you feel about fluoro?

This is a D but has strong fluoro so it’s discounted. You would have to get an ASET and make sure that it that doesn’t look hazy in direct sunlight. It will look blue through.

If it has potential the cut experts can give their opinions.

Here’s an I color in your budget. Again, you’ll need a ASET and comments on cut:

And one last very well-priced one with faint fluoro:

Last edited:

SidAeron

Rough_Rock
Thanks for these suggestions. I will look into getting images/videos for these.

I got videos for another 2.05 I VVS2 emerald one, does this look promising at around 14k?

emerald2.jpg

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW & IMO, in the first video the diamond was too small in the frame to really judge it.
They need to shoot the video so the diamond is larger in the frame.
Yes, that requires better gear, like a true macro lens, and maybe more like tele-extender tubes, better yet a bellows that just move the lens further from the camera body to make the diamond use more of the camera sensors pixels ... but there you go.

Next, in the other two videos,. the diamond is spinning so fast youreally can't evaluate it.

These two evasive techniques to obsfucate diamond evaluation make me suspicious of the credibility of that vendor, much like the deceptive photography tacticts of a certain Fancy Colored Diamond vendor here. :knockout::knockout::knockout::nono::nono::nono:

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The last video for the 2.05 I VVS2 is able to be manually spun. I’m no expert at all, but it seems lively and better than the 2.01 I from BG.

Again, I’m just choking in from the gallery surrounded by my other peanuts lol

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did your partner express a preference for shape? I ask because lots of folks are very specfici about shape so I think it's important to know for sure what he or she likes

No, the Octavia was a complete surprise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results