shape
carat
color
clarity

UPS Stinks Lost e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Whitefoot

Rough_Rock
Shipped Back to get resized and low and behold UPS Lost my package. Its been over 2 weeks and they been investigating. This really stinks. Went with UPS cause they allow Jewlery and Fedex does not for the Personal COnsumer. This is really been a hard time. With everyone so excited for us yet, with no ring..

UGH

15.gif
39.gif
11.gif
29.gif
38.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, that really sucks....best of luck getting it all figured out!! I hope they find it!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that''s soooo upsetting!! Keeping fingers crossed that it all works out...yikes UPS...now I''m going to be paranoid next time I try to use it.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
OMG......I am so sorry to hear this
6.gif
...I hope it turns up

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
God I hope they find it!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
That''s horrible! I''m so sorry to hear about your situation with UPS!

How do they handle lost items? Do they insure jewelry?

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
UPS just "lost" a half carat solitare pendant I just purchased two weeks ago. The company had to file a claim with their insurance co. so I could get reimbursed. I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal, I know how frustrating and angering it is. Let us know what happens. My heart goes out to you and I hope they find it.

Jelly-- I dont know all the specifics of how UPS handles jewelry and what their insurance is, but what an ordeal it is and esp with something more sentimental like an e-ring! With this necklace I just got, I was sending it back to the company I bought it from to have them alter something. They had sent me the prepaid shipping label so in the event of loss, their insurance co would handle it. Lo and behold, "lost". The company had to start a "tracer" investigation but the package was no where to be found, so their ins co reimbursed me and replaced my pendant.

38.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Around here, UPS and FedEx are widely known for employee theft.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 12:39:19 AM
Author: ame
Around here, UPS and FedEx are widely known for employee theft.
32.gif

Okay now I''m really freaked out. I sent my e-ring via UPS last time to WF because I was too freaked out to send it USPS the slow way...I paid for next AM and had tracking and felt good about it. But now...
38.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its more unlikely to be snagged in an overnight shipment, than one over a course of 2 or more days. But if they know what''s in that package, or know its highly insured, overnight is the ONLY option. My friend''s hubby works for FedEx and I know a guy who is in management for UPS as well through afriend...those two in one room is kinda funny...anyway...they fire a person a day, minimum, for theft. Both said the only secure way is to ship to holding stations, ala WF, or overnight with signature delivery.

And I hate the long delivery lenght for Registered but I like knowing my package won''t disappear or be opened.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty sold on USPS, myself. I know it takes a little longer, but it''s still the least expensive and most secure way to ship a package. Especially if you send something registered/insured. You package is under lock and key until it is signed for at the other end. I''ve found the online tracking to be more up-to-date on USPS than it is with Fedex, too. My dad worked for the USPS for 30 years, most of which he was the assistant postmaster. He told me in all those years, he could count on one hand the number of times someone complained about a package being lost or stolen.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Yup! I know just how you feel, I live in a diffrent state from my bank so my parents overnighted me my new checks...since I am still stuck paying some bills without the internet. They have gone missing.
29.gif
I am now having to get everything changed. UPS claims they were simply misplaced and ought to turn up...I am livid since I got a sticky note and now they are gone. Luckily my bank was more then helpful and are also putting pressure on UPS to find the box. Argg I hate having to send things via UPS or FedEx but there is no post office in my parents town...
14.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, ame, Suzie and everyone:
Yes, USPS Registered is slow.
But for a few bucks you can add the Express service to it, (not Priority).
It will take 2 to 3 business days.

I''ve done it a few times- I think the insurance limit is $25,000.
It is really fast.

USPS Registered, Insured, Express, Return Receipt Requested.
The only way to go!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Whitefoot, that stinks!! I sure hope they find it.

During college I worked for The UPS Store, and we definitely saw numerous packages lost by UPS and FedEx. But you figure on an average month we shipped out about 6,000 to 10,000 packages via UPS, and only maybe one or two would be lost. And the odds were that the lost packages were almost always shipped via UPS Ground.

The best way to avoid any damage or loss is to make the time UPS has the package to shortest amount possible, i.e. UPS Next Day Air AM.

Whitefoot

Rough_Rock
Yeah we went it UPS Next Day Insured, I read how they like to deny claims, but they LOST our package. I just can believe it. We dont want the money, we want the ring. I will for sure go with USPS next time. Ups is not easy to deal with at all. Like they dont care.. Even if we spent $75 to send the package..

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
OMG!
So sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Oh that''s not very reassuring. Leon will be shipping my ring by UPS within the next week. I was pretty calm about it, but now I''m starting to worry. Hopefully it will be the very last time I have to send it.

Good luck with your ring, finger crossed that they either find it, or it''s a hassle free insurance claim!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny I read that the Express or Prioritiy USPS doesn''t get there any faster..there was a thread on it early this year (Feb?) when I was figuring out how to ship my ring back.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Priority is advertised as 2 to 3 business days. So I would assume that if I wanted to send something from CT to TX, priority mail would be quicker. But if I lived closer to TX, then the regular insured USPS could be just about the same time frame for less money.

Whitefoot

Rough_Rock
what I have learned is the only way to send it is USPS registered mail. It can take a week or longer but will get there. Its really upsetting. UPS is just like relax, but you trying having an engagment party without the ring... Stinks...
32.gif

Anyways it went now to UPS claims which can take however long they want to review it. I will keep you all posted... SO mch for all my hard work before.. STAY AWAY from UPS

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Whitefoot, that is just terrible, and I''m so sorry. I pray this gets resolved soon for you. It sucks I''m sure. Please let us know what happens.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had two packages stolen by UPS. One of them marked Ross Simons. I tracked it to the local warehouse, scan shows it loaded into the truck and then mysteriously shows an offload scan and then poof.......vanished. After that I got a huge run around about it being overlooked on the truck for delivery and then a story about it being overlooked in the warehouse. yeah right!! A small package marked Ross Simons probably ended up on some employees'' girlfriend. Whatever the case, it never showed up.

The second was an envelope containing a certified check made out to a diamond company in NYC. The envelope showed up with the side slit open and the envelope containing the check missing I think they thought the envelope might contain a diamond and stole it Whatever the case, it never showed up and they refused to refund my shipping because they claim the package did arrive at it''s destination. They couldn''t understand my point that the contents of an envelope also must arrive. My sister ordered a DVD player from Crutchfield''s a few years ago that mysteriously vanished too. Go figure.

I try to impress on companies who sell high dollar items that they shouldn''t mark the outside of the envelope with a company name that might indicate that the package contains somethng of value. I know when I ordered from DCD the box was marked with the name of an employee only.

I am completely unimpressed with UPS. What can brown do for me? Don''t ask!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring from Quest needs to be sized, they made it a tad too small. After reading all this, I''m skipping UPS and having my bench jeweler do it for me instead. He is very talented and I''m so not taking any chances with this baby.
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have just noticed this on a craftsman/jewlers web page:
"Important!

As of February, 2004, we have experienced our first ever loss in shipping via UPS, insured. This loss has brought some issues to the fore: Any item that is shipped can be insured for whatever amount you like BUT if there is a loss, the insurer will expect prompt proof of value. Your loss won''t be settled until the insurer receives documentation establishing the identity, source and value of the lost item. If you plan to ship any item, please be sure that you have such proof available before you ship. A recent appraisal by an accredited appraiser or a recent bill of sale - or both - are the minimum you should have in place BEFORE shipping if you expect to be made whole in the event of a loss. If your stones appraise at a price that is higher than your purchase price, you''ll need to be able to prove it to the insurer with prior documentation. If the underwriters don''t accept your provenance, you will not be made whole until you can prove your claim.

We''ve asked some of our clients to have their stones evaluated before shipping to us only to find later that a jeweler had taken a cursory look at them and had not rendered any written documentation to back up their opinion. This sort of procedure will not help you to prove the identity or the value of your goods in the event of loss. You must have solid, verifiable documentation on your goods before shipping. I know from experience that this will cause some folks to refrain from sending out their property to me or any other distant location. That''s OK from my perspective. I don''t wish for anyone to risk a complete and total loss for any reason.
"

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 4:26:47 PM
Author: Mara
Kenny I read that the Express or Prioritiy USPS doesn''t get there any faster..there was a thread on it early this year (Feb?) when I was figuring out how to ship my ring back.
No matter what I''ve shipped, or where I''ve shipped it to via USPS registered insured mail, it''s arrived in less than a week. They always tell you it could take a week to ten days, but my experience is that it always takes much less time than that. I''m pretty confident that anything I ship out on Monday or Tuesday at the latest will reach it''s destination on or before end of business on Friday of the same week. If you ship later in the week, it can take a bit longer because of the weekend. If I''m sending anything by mail, I always try and get it out as early in the week as possible. I think 4 days was the longest it took for any package I''ve sent registered/insured. You also have the option of having the party on the recieving end sign for the package. That way you get confirmation in writing that your package arrived at it''s destination. I usually don''t do that when dealing with WF, though, because Vera is very good about emailing or calling to let you know your package has arrived in Texas safe and sound.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 6:40:42 PM
Author: kaleigh
My ring from Quest needs to be sized, they made it a tad too small. After reading all this, I''m skipping UPS and having my bench jeweler do it for me instead. He is very talented and I''m so not taking any chances with this baby.
2.gif

As long as having someone else size the ring won''t void the warranty on the setting, that''s probably the best way to go. Sometimes pieces by certain designers and custom jewelers have to be sized and repaired by an authorized jeweler, or they don''t guarantee the setting. You might want to check that before you have your own jeweler do the work.

Whitefoot

Rough_Rock
Just dont use UPS.. Or if you do use UPS, ship it through them, NOT a MBE or Office Depot or Staples or even a UPS store, cause if you do, UPS will no longer talk to you. We sent it though Office Depot, and they tell us Office Depot is the shipper were not. How Silly is that, On my Credit Card it says UPS shipping, What gives. Well they will give you the runaround.. Just give me my package back PLEASE!!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Whitefoot, I am so sorry to hear that! I truly hope they find it!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Speak of the devil... Now I see part of the problem is their scanning system:
Oct 9, 2005
6:58 P.M.
LAUREL, MD, US
DEPARTURE SCAN
9:01 A.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US ARRIVAL SCAN
Oct 8, 2005
6:57 A.M.
LAUREL, MD, US
ARRIVAL SCAN
Anyone else notice anything? Somehow my package wond up in Kentucky prior to leaving MD

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is that the box is not lost - the contents are simply stolen. It happened to me while shipping a Rolex back to Florida. It was overnight express with the contents fully insured. I am sure the insurance amount is a huge red flag to all employees - but there is no way around declaring a value for the item. Everytime I tried calling them they would tell me the box fell out of the package. I was crazy - I called them day and night. The only number I could use was an 800 number and each and every time I got another customer service rep in a different state. They would again read from the screen and say the package fell out. Everytime I heard that I just about screamed!! It was triple boxed - nothing fell out. They did finally send me a claim form and paid the entire insured amount and refunded the shipping. They did not refund the insurance - claimed that they didn''t reimburse the insurance cost as they paid out on it. Suppose it made sense but the insurance was more than the shipping!

A couple of months later I met a security superviser for UPS. He too said that they fire alot of people for theft - these folks are willing to take a chance on opening a box - even though they sign for each stop it passes through. The watch had just been recently purchased and of course I had a receipt. Without that receipt, I think I would have had a problem proving the contents and the value. If you need to ship an expensive anything, make sure you have some documentation or receipt for that merchandise. Otherwise, it can be your word against theirs.

Good luck - I know firsthand how frustrating this can be but if the process works as it should it will all be fine in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results