shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrading diamond/e-ring help

Nlc920

Rough_Rock
Hi all, totally brand new to the forum. This could be a bit lengthy so I'll do a TL;DR and a full version.

TL;DR: I want to upgrade diamond size definitely. I also need a larger size ring for it to fit comfortably (but hope my original size will fit in the next 6 months). Would you stick with your original setting, same diamond shape, and resize your ring? Or get a new/similar setting as well?

Long version: I'm currently not wearing my e-ring and wedding band and haven't since I was pregnant with my 2 year old because of weight gain. I have a beautiful stand in that I'll end up wearing as a RHR. I'm trying to lose weight healthily, but realize it could still be a while before my rings fit again. My H has agreed to upgrading my diamond for my birthday/anniversary next month. Yay! We have since moved far away from the store we bought my rings from (Mervis Diamond Importers), but they have a great trade up policy. 100% of what we paid for my original diamond can be put toward a lab grown or natural diamond. Additionally, my setting is made by Tacori who also has an upgrade policy, allowing you to put forward 70% of what you originally paid to a new setting.

So my current ring is a 0.81 ct RB solitaire. I'd like to consider a cushion cut beside round diamonds, and I think my ideal size is 1.2-1.5 cts. I plan on going to a jewelry store to try on the larger size diamond, as well as different shapes.

Well, I've started talking about a new setting and MH is getting a little bent out of shape. He's suggesting sticking with the same shape and resizing my ring up to fit now, and back down whenever that may be. My ring has been resized once when we first got engaged and that's it - but I don't like the idea of resizing it twice within a couple years.

I'll eventually post some links to diamonds I'd like to consider. But I'm just looking for some advice re: switching settings or not to protect the integrity of the setting.

Switch to a new setting in the right size? Allows me to pick a different shape?

Resize current setting with larger RB?

Sorry for the novel, TIA!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should go with what you really have your heart set on - whether it's a new setting or the same one. Sounds like you'd like a new one, but your husband may have some sentimental attachment to the one you have since I'm guessing he picked it out! Maybe you could pick out a new one together?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
First, you have posted this in the lab diamond forum. Are you considering a lab diamond? If not, you might get better/more feedback on your post if you flag it and move to a more appropriate forum.

As for your question, I think you should consider 1) how sentimental you and your husband are and 2) what you actually want it terms of diamond shape and setting. I know with COVID this might be more difficult, but I think you should go to a local jeweler/jewelry shop just to try things on and see what you like.

A good jeweler can resize a ring; if the band has pave or other intricate details resizing can pose a greater risk to integrity, but since you say it’s been resized before without issue I assume it’s a simple enough band that it could be done again. I wouldn’t worry about potentially sizing it back down in the future; you can cross that bridge when you get to it and consider sizing beads or bumpers if your weight tends to fluctuate that much.

Nlc920

Rough_Rock
@123ducklings yes I sure did mean to post in the lab diamond forum! I'm mainly looking at upgrading to a lab diamond for my forever ring. I do plan on going to a local jeweler who we have worked with before to try on different diamond shapes and sizes.

I think MH and I need to look at some different options together to get a better idea of whether or not I want to change out my setting. We also need to establish a budget. I truthfully wasn't expecting my husband to go for the idea of an upgrade for my birthday/upcoming anniversary so this is in the really early stages.

We have worked with a local jeweler who custom made my stand in ring who I would absolutely trust to resize anything I brought to them. They're also an authorized Tacori retailer, so it wouldn't be an issue to work through them regardless. I have some thinking to do about how attached I am to my original engagement ring. I'm definitely attached to my wedding band, and oddly enough I'm thinking of resizing that so I can wear it asap.

Thank you for the feedback!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
@123ducklings yes I sure did mean to post in the lab diamond forum! I'm mainly looking at upgrading to a lab diamond for my forever ring. I do plan on going to a local jeweler who we have worked with before to try on different diamond shapes and sizes.

I think MH and I need to look at some different options together to get a better idea of whether or not I want to change out my setting. We also need to establish a budget. I truthfully wasn't expecting my husband to go for the idea of an upgrade for my birthday/upcoming anniversary so this is in the really early stages.

We have worked with a local jeweler who custom made my stand in ring who I would absolutely trust to resize anything I brought to them. They're also an authorized Tacori retailer, so it wouldn't be an issue to work through them regardless. I have some thinking to do about how attached I am to my original engagement ring. I'm definitely attached to my wedding band, and oddly enough I'm thinking of resizing that so I can wear it asap.

Thank you for the feedback!

Hmmm, I would hesitate to trade in a mined diamond for a lab diamond. Even without talking specs, a 0.8ct mined diamond is generally comparable in price to a 1.5ct lab diamond, and it stands to reason that lab prices will only come down.

Sounds like you have a lot to consider and discuss. When you have a clearer vision of what you want and what your budget is I’m sure PS-ers can help find you a good stone at a good value.

Nlc920

Rough_Rock
@123ducklings thank you for your thoughts. I ended up talking to my husband this morning and we agreed to start by going to our local jeweler for me to try on different shapes and sizes.

I'm terribly impatient and really looking forward to moving this process along. I'm sure I'll be back sooner rather than later to give an update and ask for some opinions!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results