shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade To 3 Stone Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ok - the sales consultant I spoke to offered me an upgrade to a platinum band with no extra cost, and a further $220 discount if I pay by c/card, or $395 if I pay cash.

I love the fact that the setting is exactly what I wanted, and I got to try it on (as opposed to viewing it on the internet), it sits flush against my wedding band. The only thing is, it's too pricey compared to the diamonds Mara has priced for me, and also to the ones I've priced from various website.

The 14k setting on its own costs $1100 or another additional $400 for platinum.

Should I go with this or get my own diamonds and get it set at Precious Metals in the setting I like?

confused.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
The price of the ring in US Dollars, at today's exchange rate will be $6355.00

On another note, I bought an Ideal-Scope whilst I was there - all the better for my diamond hunting!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems that the center of the Preciousmetals ring is of the same size as your current stone
rolleyes.gif
Could it get into the setting and make the adventure less expensive?

Also, the stones mentioned previously on the thread are a bit larger (almost 6mm diameter compared to the 5 mm of your current stone)... so smaller onea might match better.

I am all for very simple designs, so my 0.2 more would wander "how about a 3-stone ring with 5mm diameter stones ?" You could have your stone sent to the jeweler of your choice (and this includes Whiteflash, or any other who would agree) and set with two others. Since you have the Iscope, it would be easy to compare the "look" of your stones with Iscope pics presented for rounds listed here. Along this line, if your stones does not show those arrows, you might want the others to look alike - something the ACA at Whiteflas woudl not. However, it is not impossible to find two other 5mm rounds with good light return but non-ideal cut. They must be around here somewhere
1.gif

And more... In my view, "matching" diamonds fot such a preoject would mean getting the same color grade and, at best, same clarity and same table size (or near). I would not worry about fluorescence - medium as is it would not show anywhere but under dark lighting with no source of visible light. So... it would take special lighting conditions to show the rather 'cool' difference between the blue aura of one stone and the next. Diamonds are never matched for fluorescence (with famous pieces of jewelry looking as blue patchwork under UW
1.gif
), as far as I know.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... here goes an example of what I tried to describe above:

The U-prong with 0.5 center (your current stone) plus two 0.4 "ideal cut" (not ACA) F/VS (Link1 and Link2). Actually, I would really trust Whiteflash with matching these two - just in case the look does not tally. The cost of all this is really tempting - relative to previously mentioned choices.

The size of your stone seems to match better with 0.45cts of the more typical depth of 60%-61%. THIS stone seemed like a good fit, but I could not locate a match - as the seller could after all.

I know that buying a ring over the net might seem dounting, but having seen a simmilar piece in person helps allot - the U prong does not risk to surprise you as much after seeing the local version.
rolleyes.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm $6770 for that does seem a little pricey when compared with my .74 ; .40; .40 scenario with a more expensive setting is less $$. I personally would buy the diamonds online and then have Garry set them into the PM setting you like. The setting itself is $300 cheaper than WF and it's local, so you can get the local cleanings, prong checkings etc.

That's what I'd do!
1.gif
Personally those sizes would be a little small for me...the .50 center with .30c sides. Having tried on the .80 and .40 sides before on a size 6 finger, I LOVED it....it looks huge but without breaking the bank. For LESS money than the PM scenario and larger stones, the carat weight of the PM ring would be 1.10ctw and $400 more than my cheaper 1.50ctw E/SI scenario posted...I'd buy the stones separately then the PM setting.

My 2 cents!
1.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Valeria101,

It never ceases to amaze me how everyone here is so helpful, helping me find matching stones or pricing good quality stones for me. I would never be able to narrow the choices down to the beautiful stones Mara and you have picked. (
2.gif
except for the .74!)

For that, I thank all of you gratefully, for making this process educational and fun!

I do want to use my current stone in the new setting, but after looking at ideal cut diamonds and HCAs, I don't think I can justify spending money on lower quality stones? And like many of you advised, if I get better quality stone and still use mine, the difference might be very obvious?

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Mara,

That was the other thing - I wanted to upgrade to a better quality, bigger stone, and the ring that I saw at PM is already much dearer than the ones you've priced for me.

I think unless PM gives me a little bit more room to negotiate the price, I'll have to go with buying diamonds online and getting PM to set it for me.

And I thought it was going to be easy!!
4.gif

I have emailed both WhiteFlash and Garry, and another online retailer in Australia - Jogia Diamonds - (anyone heard of them or had dealings with them before?)

No one has got back to me yet - I emailed Jogia on Sat morning AEST, Whiteflash on sunday evening AEST, and Garry last night.

In the meantime I shall be
12.gif
and work on my darling husband
wink2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 4/26/2004 5:51:54 PM jadeleaves wrote:

... if I get better quality stone and still use mine, the difference might be very obvious?

----------------

This is what I was thinking about... and it may justify skipping those arrows, since the goal is the sum total look of the ring, I suppose. Can you get an idea how your stone would look under the same conditions that make those H&As stand out? (Ideal Scope?)
rolleyes.gif

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Dear Jadeleaves,

Much as I would agree with your comment that SOME B&M stores are "crappy" in terms of product knowledge and service, I hope you will agree that your comment was extremely unfair and painted ALL B&M stores in Singapore with a wide brush stroke.

Not only is it unfair, it is also rather ignorant to based your opinion of the entire jewelry retail sector in Singapore (numbering a few thousand retailers) on a few black sheep.

Perhaps if you explore a little bit more, you will find many stores do not subscribe to the pushy style low-service standards you see in the shops you mentioned.

How would you like it if I base my opinions of Australians from my encounters of "Aussie Ockers" (hope I spelt it right)? Or perhaps Pauline Hanson? You would immediately tell me that I am being grossly unfair.

Therefore, please accord others the respect you would like to be accorded to you. Otherwise, you run the risk of sounding ignorant. One might make the mistake of thinking that you buy jewelry only in flea markets.

If you visit Singapore in the future, I invite you to visit our stores, so that you can have a better idea of what is possible in a B&M store in Singapore.

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier
Singapore

Ngee Ann City #02-10A
Suntec City #01-065

----------------
On 4/25/2004 7:40:59 PM jadeleaves wrote:

Tomatoe: Yes I agree - the B&M stores in Singapore are rather crappy
2.gif
Not only do they have sales staff who doesn't have a clue about diamonds, the markup is ridiculous and there is not much room for negotiation. Re: Purple gold, Aspial is the only place I've seen it (something about the patent??)- hence the reason for wanting to buy there.

----------------

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Stephen,

Please accept my apologies if I came across as making rather derogatory comments abt B&Ms in Singapore - I did not meant to include ALL B&Ms in SG as being crappy as a sweeping statement.

Let me rephrase - I have been to countless B&Ms in SG when my husband and I were shopping for my e-ring. Contrary to your comments, I am actually Singaporean and believe me when I say so, there were shops I went to where the sales consultants have got no knowledge whatsoever about diamonds except for what they can get off the pricetag.

I am, however, standing by my opinion that B&Ms in Singapore has got a ridiculous markup on diamond prices (as I believe so do a lot of other countries).

I have actually been to Charlotte Atelier, and I have gotten impeccable service from the staff there, but the prices in your store were a little out of our price range at that point in time.

That said, I hope you have a better understanding of where I'm coming from.
1.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/27/2004 3:17:18 AM valeria101 wrote:

This is what I was thinking about... and it may justify skipping those arrows, since the goal is the sum total look of the ring, I suppose. Can you get an idea how your stone would look under the same conditions that make those H&As stand out? (Ideal Scope?)
rolleyes.gif

----------------

I am trying to take a pic of my diamond through my Iscope - can't seem to get a good pic
sad.gif

From what I can see, there is a very defined 8 star in the center shown in black but there is a fair amt of leakage around the star? I don't know much about diamonds, but from what I've learnt from here, I think that's because of the depth of the diamond?

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Stephen, your reply to Jadeleaves was very harsh and in my opinion, uncalled for. You assumed* that she is an ignorant white Australian who only shopped at LeeHwa and the jeweller she purchased her e-ring from and was basing her entire experiences on these isolated incidents. You even went as far as to try to put her as coming from the same mould as Pauline Hanson!
nono.gif

I do not & will not apologise for constantly deriding the local B&M's in Singapore, just as most of the regular users-contributors of PS will not hesitate to rant against purchasing a Tiffany's e-ring. As for your stores being fantastic and having excellent customer service; I walked past the Ngee Ann City branch, which btw does not even qualify for being a proper store, just a nook in a corner beside Tiffany's, just last week and was standing there for a good 5 minutes looking at the diamonds in the display window and NOBODY even bothered to approach me.
rolleyes.gif

p.s. My mum always told me never to assume because that makes an a$$ out of you and me!
11.gif

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Dear jadeleaves,

Thank you for your clarification. And thank you very much for your kind comments about our service level; it is very gratifying that you felt that way.

I appreciate your comments against poor service standards, and can certainly see where you are coming from. I get peeved as well when sales assistants (which is a more suitable name for such poor quality staff, rather than "consultant") do not have product knowledge and are pushy without finding out what I want. Coming from my angle, I am very critical about such things.

Two weeks ago, we had the pleasure of Gabi Tolkowsky visiting our store at Suntec City, while on a short stay in Singapore (we work with Gabi on Gabrielle Diamonds). We were gratified that he felt very pleased with the way we were presenting our diamonds, and with our staffs' product knowledge and service level.

I do not think that all Singapore B&Ms have a substantially higher mark-ups than that of other countries. The fact that you believe this to be the case in "a lot of other countries" bears witness to that fact. There are a few black sheep who like to mark-up ridiculously and give 50-80% off and think they are very clever, but these are exceptions to the rule.

What is important is that you try to understand the difference between B&M companies (with VERY substantial rental, inventory and staff overheads) with online sellers (who *sometimes* operate in a small office, hold only a list in hand with low-stock, little overhead, and provide little service other than appraisals - which is a conflict of interest in any case).

If you add the rental, inventory, renovation and fittings, staffing and operating costs of a B&M store onto an online seller, can you imagine the online seller keeping his low prices without going broke?

Just imagine the convenience of being able to bring your jewelry into a B&M store, and getting it re-sized or altered. Then imagine doing this with a faceless internet broker who *may* know nothing about goldsmithing or diamond setting, and worrying about possible theft, loss-in-transit, damage etc and paying courier service rates with insurance, and waiting for several days for the round trip.

I think it is important to realize that B&M retailers have an important place in the business, and has substantial advantages far beyond cheap prices. Just as *some* online sellers have a niche in the marketplace hawking bargain-basement goods. Flea markets and full-service shops can co-exist, as they attract different customer profiles.

"There is nothing that someone cannot make a little worse in quality and sell a little cheaper." The question is, are you willing to accept such a trade-off?

I do appreciate your critical views on the need to improve the service level of retailers in general in Singapore. We need more people to speak their mind on this issue.

My invitation for you to visit our stores still stands, and we hope that you will find the time to drop in and have a browse. There will be quite a few interesting items arriving in our store very soon.

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier
Singapore

----------------
On 4/27/2004 7:18:54 AM jadeleaves wrote:

Dear Stephen,

Please accept my apologies if I came across as making rather derogatory comments abt B&Ms in Singapore - I did not meant to include ALL B&Ms in SG as being crappy as a sweeping statement.

Let me rephrase - I have been to countless B&Ms in SG when my husband and I were shopping for my e-ring. Contrary to your comments, I am actually Singaporean and believe me when I say so, there were shops I went to where the sales consultants have got no knowledge whatsoever about diamonds except for what they can get off the pricetag.

I am, however, standing by my opinion that B&Ms in Singapore has got a ridiculous markup on diamond prices (as I believe so do a lot of other countries).

I have actually been to Charlotte Atelier, and I have gotten impeccable service from the staff there, but the prices in your store were a little out of our price range at that point in time.

That said, I hope you have a better understanding of where I'm coming from.
1.gif
----------------

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Jadeleaves,

That three-stone at Garry's is so breathtaking! Whatever you decide to do, please do get this mounting, as I think that it's just perfect. So simple yet with just that little bit of detail. I've saved the picture into my "Favourite Rings" folder on my computer!

Daniela

gct888

Rough_Rock
Hi jadeleaves,
Wow, that setting is beautiful, the baskets give it a unique touch! Unfortunately diamonds are more expensive here in australia than in the states(which is kinda ironic considering we have quite a big diamond field out in perth
confused.gif
).
If you do buy the stones online, I would advise checking with fedex australia regarding any service delivery or gst charges they may tack on to your shipment after it arrives. It happened to me twice when I used fedex delivery you see - I paid AUD48 for handling charge(this was for assisting your package through customs processing) and 10% GST on the invoice value stated, adding up to quite a sum.
Depending on the vendor, there may be other shipping methods, and now every time I order from overseas I choose either USPS Global priority, registered mail(though I don't know if you'd want to do that for diamonds), or Global EMS - and I don't have to worry about extra charges anymore.
Whatever you decide, good luck and looking forward to seeing your ring pics!

Georgina

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Hi Tomatoe,

Thanks for your reply. Hmm, your experience certainly is not normal in my opinion. I will certainly work on improving it.

I did not set out to be harsh, but to be factual. But the problem of the written word on the internet is that it seems harsher than it sounds. Any harshness is certainly unintended.

Just to clear a few points:

Regarding the assumption that she is "Australian"; it came from her post on 24 Apr at 10:06pm that she had done "shopping around here in Melbourne", and her post on 24 Apr at 11:57pm that Garry Holloway is "a couple of blocks" from her. It was a reasonable assumption.

I made no mention of Jadeleaves' possible ethnic group. It would have been racist to do so; it is interesting that you made such an assumption.

My comparison with Pauline Hanson was to put into perspective on how an extreme remark can provoke reactions. Here, you have proven my point. Besides, it is clear from my remark that it is unlikely any reasonable person comes from the unique mold that is Pauline Hanson.

I am sorry that you were treated so badly during your encounters with Singaporean B&M stores. It is a lamentable situation, that you should feel so bitter about your past experiences. I hope that you will try to let go of past grievances, and try to judge everyone fairly.

There is a difference between ranting against a specific act or event, and ranting against B&M stores in Singapore in general. Do calm down. Let's not go down the slippery road towards hysteria.

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier

----------------
On 4/27/2004 8:44:12 AM tomatoe wrote:

Wow Stephen, your reply to Jadeleaves was very harsh and in my opinion, uncalled for. You assumed* that she is an ignorant white Australian who only shopped at LeeHwa and the jeweller she purchased her e-ring from and was basing her entire experiences on these isolated incidents. You even went as far as to try to put her as coming from the same mould as Pauline Hanson!
nono.gif

I do not & will not apologise for constantly deriding the local B&M's in Singapore, just as most of the regular users-contributors of PS will not hesitate to rant against purchasing a Tiffany's e-ring.

---------------

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock

First and foremost, sorry for hi-jacking your thread Jadeleaves

9.gif

Hysterical?
angryfire.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/27/2004 9:28:01 AM starfire wrote:

Dear jadeleaves,

Thank you for your clarification. And thank you very much for your kind comments about our service level; it is very gratifying that you felt that way.

No probs
9.gif

I do appreciate your critical views on the need to improve the service level of retailers in general in Singapore. We need more people to speak their mind on this issue.

Thank you
1.gif

My invitation for you to visit our stores still stands, and we hope that you will find the time to drop in and have a browse. There will be quite a few interesting items arriving in our store very soon.

Next time I'm in SG, I will definitely pay you a visit
rodent.gif

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier
Singapore

----------------

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/27/2004 9:35:20 AM Daniela wrote:

Jadeleaves,

That three-stone at Garry's is so breathtaking! Whatever you decide to do, please do get this mounting, as I think that it's just perfect. So simple yet with just that little bit of detail. I've saved the picture into my 'Favourite Rings' folder on my computer!

Daniela----------------

Dear Daniela,

I think I have my heart set on the setting I found at Precious Metals
love.gif

Hopefully I shall get my hands on that pretty little trinket soon!
9.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Georgina!

I have tried to look for the information I needed abt customs duties etc etc on the Australian Customs Website but I haven't had much luck.

I'll try to ring them when I come back from my holidays - I'm running around like a mad chook trying to get everything done before friday - it's 10.09 PM AEST and i'm still in the office!

I shall get back to work or else I'll be trapped in PS looking at all the sparkly bits
4.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/27/2004 10:54:40 AM tomatoe wrote:

First and foremost, sorry for hi-jacking your thread Jadeleaves

9.gif

----------------

That's ok hun
9.gif

Stephen, let's all agree to disagree shall we
12.gif

Each side will have various reasons to promote their stores, be it a B&M or etailer. At the end of the day, the consumer will have to do their homework and decide for themselves.

Ok - back to work!
read.gif
wavey.gif

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Hi jadeleaves,

Agreed. This was starting to sound a little hysterical, and it's about time we discuss rationally
1.gif

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier

----------------
On 4/28/2004 8:08:49 AM jadeleaves wrote:

----------------
blockquote>

Stephen, let's all agree to disagree shall we
12.gif

Each side will have various reasons to promote their stores, be it a B&M or etailer. At the end of the day, the consumer will have to do their homework and decide for themselves.

Ok - back to work!
read.gif
wavey.gif

----------------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results