shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade To 3 Stone Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I have literally sat here for most of the day reading through the posts in this forum and found them extremely helpful - thanks [
1.gif

I am interested in getting my engagement ring reset into a 3 stone ring, as my husband and I were never happy with the setting even though it was custom made. We got the ring made up in Singapore and didn't have time (plus a myriad of reasons) to get it reset when we got it. I've had the ring for 3 years, we've been married for almost 2 years and my husband would like to get my diamond reset as an anniversary present. I am adamant that I want to keep my current diamond purely for the sentimental reason (it wouldn't be the same if I just upgraded to another diamond or diamondS and traded this in)

My current diamond is a round brilliant cut, 0.50cts - I have attached photos but they didn't turn out well enough, due to lighting and my lack of skill :razz:

Measurements: 5.00-5.02x3.20mm
Colour grade: F
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Very Good
Table%: 56%
Depth: 63.9%
Girdle thickness: SL THIC TO THICK
Cutlet Size: None
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Good
Flourescence: Moderate

I am of two minds about whether I want to get a bigger center stone for the new setting, and get another 0.50ct diamond to match the one I've got, or to get 2 smaller side stones for the current diamond I've got.

I am rather fond of the WhiteFlash Platinum 3-Stone Ring U-Prong Half Round Shank with Six 'A CUT ABOVE' Hearts and Arrrows Accent Melee, however, I would like to have sapphires as the accent melee? I am also partial to the Tacori settings, however, I can't seem to find anything similar over here (I'm in Melbourne, Down Under)

Would appreciate some advice as to the choice of diamond (go bigger and get a matching side stone to my current one, or get 2 smaller side stones), shape, online retailer reccomendation etc etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: I have also included a pic of my platinum wedding band. I am having difficulties trying to find settings to match the wedding band too.

JadeLeaves1.jpg

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Matching the stone to put on the side might be tough. Don't know. You can always keep the original diamond, have the band made into a heart pendant with the diamond in it (my DH's grandmother had this done when she was upgraded). Keep for sentimental reasons and start over. Or you can keep this as center stone and find two that match for the sides. Love the idea of sapphire melee. Good luck and happy hunting.

Shay

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Shay!

I like the idea of keeping the center stone and adding 2 smaller side stones. However, I have no idea what size the side stones should be.

Re: Sapphire melee - this is the pic of the setting I like. Instead of the diamonds melee, I think sapphires will look good too?

Also, do you think this setting will sit flush next to my wedding band?

confused.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
One thing to keep in mind when creating a 3 stone ring with an existing stone, matching the 2 sides. Not just in color and clarity, but CUT.

The specs you have given on your engagement ring show that this stone may be hiding some carat weight in the pavilion of the stone (63.9% depth is very deep), as well as the girdle (sl. thick -thick). Your first stone is not an ideal cut, keep this in mind when you are buying the side stones. For example, if you fall in love with ideal cut H&A stones, and get 2 of those, they WILL outshine your first stone. The look will be different. It sounds odd, but you may want to match the new stones with the same type of cut your original stone has. That way they will all have the same look. OR see my additional suggestion below...

The one other thing is Fluorescence. If your center stone has mod (assuming that means medium) fluor, and the side stones don't...in certain lighting, your center stone would glow but the others wouldn't. Not sure if this means a thing to you, but worth mentioning.

Personally, I would keep the center stone and/or ring for the right hand and/or get the stone set into a beautiful custom pendant, and start with the 3 stone ring from scratch. It's very hard to match stones to existing stones virtually, so unless you have a jeweler do it, and find you the stones...and even then I wouldn't trust just their word, so finding the stones to match your first stone in terms of deeper cut but getting a good one...and then seeing them to approve them etc...it will be a process. Harder IMO than just finding 3 ideal cut stones that fit your specs.

My two cents..
2.gif
Not sure what your thoughts are...but I would start from scratch building the 3 stone ring so that all your stones can be excellently cut, and keep the original stone for a pendant or similar.

Good luck!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Mara,

Thanks for the advice!

I have considered getting a new ring altogether but I really want to keep my existing stone too. My problem is that I don't wear much jewelry. My wedding band and e-ring are the only jewelry I wear. Ohh and sometimes a 0.50ct solitaire pendant.

Since I don't wear much jewelry, I'll like to incorporate my existing diamond in the setting that I'll replace the current one with.

I understand that it'll be hard to match the diamonds, and given that it doesn't seem to be a good quality cut etc, I don't know if I want to.

*see how I contradict myself! Argh!

Also, getting a new ring altogether might be a little too extravagant at this point? I love diamonds but we're still a young couple (I'm in my mid twenties) starting to build our lives together, getting the house paid off, saving up for kids etc etc, so I cannot justify spending a huge amount on my new ring. We do have the disposable income, I'll love to get a really good quality 1ct+ center stone and 2 smaller side stones, but my husband also thinks we shouldn't go 'overboard' with the new purchase.

sad.gif

My e-ring, in its current setting, does look better on my right hand though, because of the way it's curved. On my left hand it just doesnt sit right.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well then...the e-ring on your right hand..problem solved!
1.gif

I would suggest shopping around for something like a .80 center and .40c sides. I tried this on and I have a size 6 finger and it looked really big! I was shocked. The 3 stone rings look bigger because of the mass of stones, imagine 3 very well cut stones together, drool! So I think you can actually manage to go smaller with the well-cut stones and still get an amazing, huge look.

Just a thought..
2.gif
It will drop the cost and allow you to maybe sell the whole new ring idea better to the hubby. I was shopping around for a 3 stone ring with the specs I noted with all Hearts and Arrows ideal diamonds, around I SI quality (eye clean, faces up white) in a custom platinum setting and priced it out at about $4000. Something like H SI would be more around $5000 probably. Anyway just some food for thought.
2.gif

If you don't have color sensitivity, a guy on here got an AMAZING 3 stone ring for his fiance with a 1.3c center and two .60c sides I think and all in J SI in a custom platinum setting and it was all around $6500! Beautiful stones!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Jade, as far as the new setting sitting flush to your band, whoo that's a tough one. You might want to visit some jewelry stores to see if they have a similar setting and try it on next to your band to see if it will sit flush. Even then, it's a guessing game. I love the sapphire suprise instead of diamonds. There is actually a ring in the show me the ring section that did that. If I can find it again, I'll try to link it. Mara made some very good points. She is extremely savvy about diamonds and what can and should be done. No matter which way you decide to go, I also would keep my original diamond. (I did) The cut on mine is hard to tell (fancy and not certed). It has great sparkle, but the symmetry is off. One side is a little flatter than the other. (marquise) I am going to design a ring just for it for the middle finger of my right hand. So I can sympathize. Good luck and happy hunting. (hunting is fun)
9.gif

Shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
If this works, here is the Link Hope you like it.

Shay

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I think I have a size 6 finger too! I have done some shopping around over here in Melbourne (B&M), but they don't seem to have a wide range of settings and the retail mark up is ridiculous.

I am looking for diamonds in the WhiteFlash site (expert selection section) and pricing the ones that I like. Will do more research and post the specs here.

I do know that I want a good quality stone. I think the range I'm looking at will be:

color: D-H (H is the maximum I'll go)
clarity - max SI1 ? Not too sure about the difference between SI1 & SI2.

I think I'll go for quality, ie, what you suggested - smaller center stone.

P/S: the man just came into the study and I sort of sussed him out about maybe starting from scratch and he seems fine about it, but said we'll probably have to wait a couple of months. That's good, because we were rushed when we were getting my e-ring, hence the unhappiness with the setting.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
That's the ring that set me on the road to getting a sapphire melee!

I think I have my heart set on the WhiteFlash ring I linked to in one of my earlier post.

Am pricing stones now, trying not to get too excited and picking bigger/better diamonds than I can afford, but hey, a girl can dream!

Yes, hunting is fun! I'll have to tone the excitement/enthusiasm down a little so as not to bore the man as he's not very fond of any sort of shopping.

Does anyone know a good online retailer (or even B&M) in Australia?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Jade, you're lucky you only bore yours. I scare the h*ll out of mine.
9.gif
He gave me his credit card the other day to order something online for our dog. He came back into the room and said, "You didn't buy another diamond, did you?" I had to laugh. Of course, I tend to feel that keeping your man nervous keeps them on their toes. (jk, well maybe)
11.gif
Good luck. I don't know where you are located, but Garry Holloway has an online presence and a B&M (I think) in Australia. I've got the address on my other computer. My DH has that at work. When he gets home, I will try to get that to you. Or someone else may chime in before then.

Shay

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Shay,

Thanks to your earlier reply, I've found Gary Holloway's Australian website - he is literally just a couple of blocks away from me. I'm going to pop into his B&M store and have a look at what's available.

I wonder if the prices in his B&M store will be overpriced as compared to online retailers though. He does have a trade up policy for 50% of the insurance worth which I might consider - not for my e-ring but for my solitaire pendant.

Will keep you updated - I've got square eyes from looking at all the diamonds on WhiteFlash and am feeling a little overwhelmed by all the choices.

I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted, but I don't know where to start now!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Jade, that is wonderful! I am so glad to be of some help. Can't help with the decision, but at least Garry's close to you. Let us know how it goes.

Shay

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Mara,

Thank you for narrowing the choices down for me - I had no idea what I'm looking at after the bazillion stones I've seen on various sites.

The 0.74 E SI1 you picked out is actually one of the first stones I added to my wishlist in WhiteFlash! Only, I was looking at smaller side stones (0.35ct) as you suggested 0.40ct for a 0.80 center stone and I figured 50% of the center stone would be a good size.

I will post the specs of the stones you suggested and one particular ACA which I rather liked - pls advise which of the larger stones is a better buy?

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Item Code: AGS-4245109
Price: $3,780.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.726
Color: D
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 61
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 35.2
Crown %: 15.9
Pavilion Angle: 41
Pavilion %: 43.1
Girdle: Faceted 1.0% to 1.4%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.84-5.86X3.57
Item Code: GIA-13013720
Price: $2,898.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.74
Color: E
Depth: 60.5
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.1
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Very Thin-Thin Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 5.87-5.90X3.56
-
Item Code: GIA-13013725
Price: $2,780.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.71
Depth: 60.8
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 15.3
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin-Medium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 5.80-5.81X3.53

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
And here are the specs of the 0.41ct side stones you picked:

Item Code: AGS-4226001
Price: $990.00
Carat: 0.416
Depth: 60.6
Crown %: 15.1
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Faceted 0.6% to 1.9%
Measurements: 4.84-4.86X2.94
-
Item Code: AGS-4443605
Price: $947.00
Carat: 0.416
Color: F
Depth: 61.2
Table: 57
Crown %: 14.9
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Faceted 0.6% to 1.5%
Measurements: 4.80-4.83X2.95

Shay, what do you think?

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I have also emailed WhiteFlash with some questions and for a quote - will keep you guys updated!

Lets hope the Aussie dollar doesn't plunge in the meantime
2.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jadeleaves,

Welcome to PS! I'm from Singapore and if you dont mind, I would like to know where you bought your loose diamond from and had your setting made. Also where did you purchase your wedding band from, one of my friends is getting married at the end of the year and looking for platinum bands.
5.gif

Do go to Garry Holloway's and let us know what happens too! Best of luck and you've come to the right place for exquisite diamonds!
naughty.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi tomatoe,

My husband bought the diamond from a friend of his mum - she's married to a jeweller in Singapore and my husband bought it from her husband's store. I don't have the details, but I can ask my husband
1.gif

If I'm not mistaken, it was a jeweller at Far East Shopping Centre? My ring was custom made at the same jeweller too, but I don't think I can recommend them as we were really disappointed with the worksmanship.

We bought our platinum bands from Aspial in Singapore, but most places we went to in Singapore has got beautiful platinum bands. SooKee Jewelry comes to mind when I think of platinum bands too. Bearing in mind this was a few years ago, and we couldn't find a great deal of platinum bands in Melbourne, hence the decision to purchase it in Singapore, as we were there on holiday, the Aussie dollar was strong, and the prices (for platinum jewelry) were heaps better over there.

Have u seen Aspial's purple gold collection? I love them! Next time I go to Singapore, I'm going to get myself a purple and white gold diamond pendant
11.gif

I will endeavour to pay a visit to Gary Holloway's, but it probably won't happen till a couple of weeks time as we're leaving for a long awaited holiday in New Zealand this friday for our anniversary!

gct888

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Another online source is http://www.diamondexchange.com.au/ - it's the website of the melbourne diamond exchange ltd and it's got a search function for many kinds of certified stones. Their address is listed as 125 swanston st. in melbourne. If I recall correctly, they have posted on this forum in the past.
I don't know if this would be your style, but this setting was the closest I could find that sort of echoes the twists in your wedding band:http://www.diamondexchange.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=43
By the way, have you factored in lodging and paying formal customs clearance duties on the set ring if you ship it from overseas? I ask this because I was cautioned by fedex that I'd have to pay something like 15% duty on set jewelry from abroad, not to mention filing formal clearance for items above AUD10,000.00. Anyway, if this won't be a problem for you, pls. ignore this bit
1.gif

Good luck!

Georgina

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
HI Jadeleaves,
Heehee, I am having a hard time finding a good personal jeweler and am sorely disappointed with the b&m's in SG thats what lead me online and to the wonderful PS. You dont have to recommend them but it'll be great to find out who they are as we have a dearth of info on SG jewelers and the like. I only know of "House of Hung" at Far East SC and they are crappy.
sad.gif

Personally I have not been to Melb as an adult, so I dont know about the quality or lack thereof of jewelry there but I have been to Perth many times in the past few years and was unimpressed with the stores there. The Aussie$ is strong once again and its a good time for you to purchase
9.gif

I've seen their purple gold collection and its nice but frankly I really dislike LeeHwa & Aspial (same company) and know their prices are too steep for essentially normal items which is a big
nono.gif
in my book. I was very disparaging about the local stores even before I found PS and even more so now that I know how much bigger my money can buy me online
naughty.gif

Do enjoy your upcoming anniversary holiday and we hope to see you successfully and happily purchase some diamonds soon
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jade...I like the E SI over the D SI stone...the price difference is rather large and the cuts are very similar...some of the stone's in WF's Expert Selection are what I call 'almost ACAs'...they are stones that were most likely cut to be part of the ACA line but for whatever reason, Brian nixed them due to some imperfection that our mortal eyes probably cannot see. My own engagement ring stone is one of these and honestly from every angle and picture and spec I looked at, it looks like an ACA....the only reason I could see for it not to make the brand was possibly some H&A inconsistencies that my naked eye never pick up in the stone. It's amazingly beautiful and I got it for a great price when you compare it against an ACA of the same specs. So the ES can have some GREAT deals if you don't require the branding of the ACA name. I would not hesitate to put ACA smaller stones next to my big ring, the difference would NOT be seen....all will be excellently cut.

I prefer E and F stones to D because I don't like the markup associated with D stones and excellently cut stones face up WHITER than your average cut stone. So an excellently-cut E will probably look whiter than your e-ring stone. Something to keep in mind!
1.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Tomatoe: Yes I agree - the B&M stores in Singapore are rather crappy
2.gif
Not only do they have sales staff who doesn't have a clue about diamonds, the markup is ridiculous and there is not much room for negotiation. Re: Purple gold, Aspial is the only place I've seen it (something about the patent??)- hence the reason for wanting to buy there.

Mara: Oh dear I think I am a color snob after all
tongue.gif
JK!

I thought the price difference was a little steep as well, considering the info I've got from reading various threads on PS about the quality of the ES diamonds, some of which are 'almost ACA'. My problem is that I can't tell by looking at the specs which are the better buys if the difference is negligible.

I'm off to work now, shall try to leave early today
9.gif
so I can pay a visit to Precious Metals (Garry Holloway).

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Hiya! I just thought I could suggest maybe doing a three stone ring with the current diamond in the center and a matched pair of sapphires of equal size on either side... that could look good in a bezel setting, any custom setting, but gives the colour you mentioned and keeping your stone (in position of prominence) without making you have to match the diamond (hard - esp. with the cut) and looks substantial without driving the price throught he roof, while still giving you lots of gorgeous precious stones!
Just a thought...

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Here's a picture of a standard setting style - but it gives the idea of what three same size stones would look like:

Attachments

• platinumgold3stonerings2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 549

wallace

Shiny_Rock
PS - I think that three-stone arrangement (not necessarily that specific setting) would also look great with your band - since it not all diamonds you don't need diamonds in the band and the detail on your band has a nice "flow" with the blue of sapphires! Just my opinion...

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Dear gct888,

Thanks for the link to the Melbourne Diamond Exchange - I have priced diamonds in the size/range that I wanted and they seemed to be a bit pricey compared to online sites outside of Australia?

I love the simplicity of my wedding band and I think this time, I want a straight setting (from top) so that the new ring will sit flush against my wedding band. Maybe a thin band with the 3 stone setting a little higher?

I haven't factored in custom duties but I have requested an estimate of shipping/insurance cost from WhiteFlash. Thanks for the tip - I will definitely find out more about the custom duties!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Wallace,

The picture you attached of the 3 stone ring with sapphires looks beautiful - I think I've seen a similar ring in the "show me your rock" thread.

The setting is similar to the sort that I wanted too - I wonder if I can get someone to custom make a setting that is a cross between the vatche and the WhiteFlash U-Prong with the accent melee? I like the crossover style of the vatche but I also want sapphire melee on the side of the setting, maybe set into the shank?

I love sapphires but I think I love diamonds more
3.gif
so I think I would prefer a diamond 3 stone ring. Maybe for our 5 yr anniversary the man can get me the sapphire/diamond 3 stone for my right hand
9.gif

Everyone here has been so helpful - thank you - I don't think I've ever seen such a wonderful online community
1.gif

Ok back to work now - I have a 4pm (AEST) appointment @ Precious Metals, so I better get some work done.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Jadeleaves,
Aspial (Expire
naughty.gif
) & LeeHwa are one and the same so you can get the "purple gold" collection from either stores. They and Singapore Polytechnic, a local poly, came up with the technique themselves and while the pieces are gorgeous, the prices are sucha huge turn-off
14.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hello fellow pricescopers!

I've just got back from Garry Holloway's B&M (Precious Metals) and I think I am in love
love.gif

The service I got was excellent, the lady I spoke to was very knowledgeble and she picked out a 3 stone ring from the display similar to what I wanted (WhiteFlash U Prong) before I even showed her any pictures of what I am looking for (see pic below).

Here are the specs of the diamonds (Garry Holloway only sell Ideal Cut diamonds):
Side Stones:
1 round brilliant cut diamond = 0.30ct of ideal cut, color E, Clarity SI2, measuring 4.3x4.3x2.62mm
1 round brilliant cut diamond = 0.30ct of ideal cut, color E, Clarity SI1, measuring 4.3x4.25x2.6mm
Center Stone:
1 round brilliant cut diamond = 0.50ct of ideal cut, color E, Clarity SI2 measuring 5.1x5.1x3.1mm
Accent Melee:
6 round brilliant cut diamonds = 0.09ct of ideal cut, color F-H, Clarity VS1-SI1 measuring 1.60mm.

These diamonds does not come certified, so I don't have any specs on the crown/pavilion angle.

The price tag is $8770, and the band is 18carat white gold with platinum claws.

I think that's too pricey - pls advise??

preciousmetals.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results