shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade size but downgrade mind-clean?

miraj

Rough_Rock
I purchased a 1.9ct WF ACA for my wife’s engagement ring a couple of years back and I just found a 2.07ct WF ACA with 5.6% more face-up size and I’d only pay for a 2.5% increase in price (after upgrade credit, resetting, shipping, etc) – both AGS0 H VS2.

I loved the symmetry of the original’s AGSL computer generated map on the certificate – very symmetrical. But the upgrade’s map is, well, just a bit messy – even though the actual ASET image seems excellent.

And in the video the original diamond had a few moments of crazy sparkle, but the upgrade doesn’t have that same burst – but it has different lighting.

I’m already not happy with the color grade on the original one – when I compared with GIA reference stones at the appraiser, it looked more like an I to me. And comparing videos the upgrade one seems to show even more yellow from the side – but again, different lighting.

She’s got tremendous eagle eyes and the crystal on the edge of the current stone is visible to her; but the new one has needles and clouds under the table.

I tell myself that all of these differences will be imperceptible because it’s ACA, but I’m no expert. I need more experienced perspectives to tell me whether my hangups are reasonable or whether I should just get over them. (My wife has a PriceScope mindset as well, so the details are important.)

My wife would be pleased to get over the 2ct/8mm threshold, but I’m not sure whether my/our mind-clean has been spoiled by staring too hard at these details and whether to move forward.

Original: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3508621.htm

Upgrade: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4178483.htm

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the smaller table and higher crown angle of the 2ct.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just FYI in case you havent seen this

I'm wondering if you need to see your wife's stone side by side with the 2.07. Either have the 2.07 sent to you or send your
wife's ring in and have WF do some videos. Have the gemologist talk you through what he is seeing during/on the video. I dont think
anyone can answer your questions without a side-by-side comparison.

Your comments above sound quite negative as far as the new stone making you happy. You sound like you are already turned off by it.
(which is fine but you are asking us to convince you that the new stone will be better...or at least as good when we have neither stone in hand.
That's difficult to do).

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This one gets you over the 8mm size but its just under the threshold of 2ct so you are not paying the $ premium for the weight.

BUT if you are color sensitive and she has eagle eyes then I would go for a cleaner, whiter stone. I would at least ask for a side by side comparison of the stone you picked and this one

miraj

Rough_Rock
Just FYI in case you havent seen this...

Her response: I can see the difference, but it's small. Maybe we should wait to upgrade to 2.5ct for a more meaningful event.

I'm thinking of this upgrade as a nice valentine's day gift, not a major anniversary, and it's only been a couple of years... but Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome kicked in right away.

smaller table and higher crown angle of the 2ct

Does the smaller table mean there are longer edges/broader facets for sparkle?

I dont think anyone can answer your questions without a side-by-side comparison....
...send your wife's ring in and have WF do some videos
...You sound like you are already turned off by it.

Yes, I'm already a bit negative but also aware that I'm probably excessively sensitive due to PriceScope brainwashing. The upgrade cost would be less than $500, so if I decide not to upgrade, would the shipping costs be a large percentage of the upgrade? I'm just guessing it's at least $50 each way for the insurance, so that would already be $100

This one gets you over the 8mm size

Looks great, but that one's cheaper than my original. I doubt WF would give me money back as part of an upgrade. Ha!

side by side comparison of the stone you picked and this one

The H VS1 also looks great, but it's a 10% price increase for a 5% face-up increase. That makes it feel like much less of a "deal". And even with transparent inclusions right in the middle of the table I bet my wife could spot them too!

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion, "upgrading" from a 1.97 to a 2.07 is pointless. I would save up more coin and go for a more meaningful and satisfying upgrade when you are ready.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would wait until the size really makes a big difference. Like you said, 2.5+ and yes, DSS is real!:eek-2:

What does your wife want to do? Does she think its worth upgrading?

miraj

Rough_Rock
go for a more meaningful and satisfying upgrade

2.5+ and yes, DSS is real!
What does your wife want to do? Does she think its worth upgrading?

Wife says to wait. A little bummed because I thought I found a good deal, but excited for the anticipation of a big upgrade.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Wife says to wait. A little bummed because I thought I found a good deal, but excited for the anticipation of a big upgrade.

Looks to me like you're more excited about getting a new stone than she is :lol:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

hmmm nice pair of earring studs for V-Day :mrgreen2: those can be upgraded down the road too :lol:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $500, I’d definitely upgrade. I think that your wife will appreciate the size of the new stone. I previously upgraded a 1.83ct stone to 2.1ct and the size difference was definitely discernible. I also think that the 2.07ct stone that you are considering is much crisper compared to the original.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely prefer the 2.07 to her current stone. The numbers are smack dab in a sweet spot. However, no one can really tell you about the color and how it might compare to your current stone. You really would have to ship your ring to WF and let them do some comparison shots. If you didn't do the upgrade, I'm sure that the shipping costs would be on you. I would call them and discuss it - a phone call won't cost you anything.

L

lydial

Get the bigger one if it will fit her setting. My $0.02.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do it for that price if it was my choice. You can always upgrade again later.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, definitely do it. Prices may be lower than when you bought the first stone. Grab the 2+ ct now. You can upgrade color or size again later. The 2.07 has perfect numbers and is about .2mm greater in size. No one will notice but you two. That's a deal to get over the 2 ct mark.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do whatever I want, without regard for what others would do.

Some want this.
Some what that.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Listen to your wife. Put more money aside - then you can go bigger, whiter and cleaner.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results