shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade Policies vs cheaper diamond

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I have been in the lookout for a 2.5 carat lab diamond to replace the moissanite in my ring. I have looked on rare carat and other places and I've found some venders who have upgrade policies and some who don't. The venders who offer upgrade policies are more expensive. I just can't decide if it would be better to buy the cheaper diamond and when I want to upgrade (I'm sure I will eventually) try to either sell it, save it for a family member (my sisters, my daughter or use in other jewelry) or spend more to buy from a vendor that does upgrades just to have that option.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I guess it would depend on what your budget is now and what your upgrade goals are. The way I see it lab diamonds will keep going down in value (as I believe most upgrade policies are double the original cost of the loose diamond) and using the upgrade would only make sense if you want to get a mined diamond in the future.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I guess it would depend on what your budget is now and what your upgrade goals are. The way I see it lab diamonds will keep going down in value (as I believe most upgrade policies are double the original cost of the loose diamond) and using the upgrade would only make sense if you want to get a mined diamond in the future.

This.

Depends if you eventually want a mined diamond, if the policy you’re considering allows for that kind of upgrade, and if the vendor you’re considering sells mined stones you’d be interested in for an upgrade.

Generally speaking the future of lab diamonds is unclear, but costs are almost certain to go down. Personally I would only buy a lab diamond for myself to enjoy, not with an expectation of later resale or trade-in value.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
This.

Depends if you eventually want a mined diamond, if the policy you’re considering allows for that kind of upgrade, and if the vendor you’re considering sells mined stones you’d be interested in for an upgrade.

Generally speaking the future of lab diamonds is unclear, but costs are almost certain to go down. Personally I would only buy a lab diamond for myself to enjoy, not with an expectation of later resale or trade-in value.

yes— the uncertainty of the lab diamond market would make me want to buy the least expensive option. Lightbox has hinted they will make larger stones so it could be likely that they could have 2ct for 1600– so I’d be hesitant to pay more than that.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
yes— the uncertainty of the lab diamond market would make me want to buy the least expensive option. Lightbox has hinted they will make larger stones so it could be likely that they could have 2ct for 1600– so I’d be hesitant to pay more than that.

Yeah… I need a specific size for the setting I have. I really don't want to wait for lightbox but I get what your saying. The cheapest I've found at 2.5 carats is about $4000.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results