shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade from 1.52 to 2.03..yay!! but.....worried about SI1 clarity!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/27/2004 10:45:26 PM reena wrote:

awwww, lighten up!
1.gif
2.gif
1.gif

----------------

Yanno, I don't want to be the "heavy" in pointing this out......but this IS a *diamond* site. It's a consumer advocate forum, not a stand-up venue. We all have a sense of humor, but a little goes a long way.
2.gif

It's not unreasonable for folks to try getting back on-topic, and it doesn't make them humorless for trying to get back to the question asked.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
ummm..so yes, to get back on the subject, I know the answer is to just have it sent to an appraiser, or take a look at it for myself. If this was my first purchase then it would be an easier decision, I think. Since this is an upgrade, it would be such a disappointment to ship my ring all the way to the vendor, have the stone removed and examined, while have the upgrade stone inspected only to find that the inclusion is a borderline SI2 or something. I guess that's what stressing me out
21.gif

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Would appreciate if those with larger SI1 could post close up pics if possible...i tried to go through the eyecandy folder, but three hours later, I was like, still on page 10!! eyecandy distraction
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dittos, Thelma! Now where's that cape?
2.gif

Slammie..is this a GIA or AGS stone ? If so, chances are it's not a borderline SI2. And even if it is...that means nothing. There are some SI2's that are extremely eye-clean.

Bottom line is that you will need to make that decision for yourself. Pictures of other people's SI stones will really not mean a thing, because every stone is different, every grade given can mean something different. All SI's are not created equal. Grading is done by humans, part of it is subjective to that human's emotions, visual thresholds, etc.

You will have to decide for yourself if this stone is worth the risk. Personally from what I know..I may take the chance because the sparkle of a well-cut stone hides much. But you sound very apprehensive, and you may be looking for that inclusion the minute you get that stone out of the box which wouldn't really make for a win-win situation. Good luck on your decision!

reena

Ideal_Rock
my apologies to slammie for getting off-topic.
sad.gif

slammie, it sounds like no matter what you decide you're going to end up with a fabulous stone. let us know what you end up doing.

bling

Shiny_Rock
you can go go GOG educational diamond section and look at past stones sold in the size you are looking at, at the clarity grade your looking at. He uses very nice magnified images..you can take a look and see what the "range" is for a good SI stone..i believe hes got lots of SI1 and SI2s on there.. good luck!

appl.gif

slammie

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/28/2004 11:15:19 AM bling wrote:

you can go go GOG educational diamond section and look at past stones sold in the size you are looking at, at the clarity grade your looking at. He uses very nice magnified images..you can take a look and see what the 'range' is for a good SI stone..i believe hes got lots of SI1 and SI2s on there.. good luck!

appl.gif
----------------

appl.gif
Oh yeah! that sounds like a great idea Bling!. I'll do that. And I've decided to send it off to AGA. Reena, no problem, needed a laugh! Wish me luck everyone! Thanks again!!
wavey.gif
9.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
good luck! tell us how it goes..and please do come back with pics!
appl.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/28/2004 1:48:06 AM slammie wrote:

Would appreciate if those with larger SI1 could post close up pics if possible...i tried to go through the eyecandy folder, but three hours later, I was like, still on page 10!! eyecandy distraction
1.gif
----------------

this is the 3 ct that i purchased from GOG

slammie
i know the gia plot looks bad, but

the vendor (jonathan) from gog calls it eye clean.

the appraiser (chris) from dave atlas calls it eye clean.

i know the inclusions are there but when you're over 40, everything looks eye clean.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
v, your stone is awesome.
1.gif

I really and truly believe that it comes down to what you can live with--in an accurately graded for SI1-2, well cut stone--esp a SuperbCert--99.999999% of the people will see nothing but sparkle.
love.gif
10.gif

We all await the verdict.
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jenn,

thanks for the compliment. you are very fortunate to find such a nice eye clean SI-2 3 ct stone that looks so beautiful. for some reason, the 3+ cts, are disappearing. the vendors that still have them keep bumping up the prices in the last few months.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
slammie

i know the inclusions are there but when you're over 40, everything looks eye clean.----------------[/quote]

Thanks Vtigger! That was a really good example... Are any those inclusion dark? It's a beautiful HUGE stone
21.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/1/2004 12:37:10 AM slammie wrote:

slammie

i know the inclusions are there but when you're over 40, everything looks eye clean.----------------

Thanks Vtigger! That was a really good example... Are any those inclusion dark? It's a beautiful HUGE stone
21.gif
----------------[/quote]

slammie,

you asked if any of the inclusions are dark;

the inclusion on the center of the table, is on the dark side but isn't a black ink spot, without a loupe, i can't see anything at all. from the side view i still need a loupe to see the inclusion. but the performance of this stone is magnificent. keep in mind not all SI stones are eye clean to every pair of eyes. and most of the time, it's harder to satisfy your mind than your eyes because your mind knows the inclusions are there.

another words the stone may be eye clean but not mind clean.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/1/2004 10:45:54 PM vtigger86 wrote:
keep in mind not all SI stones are eye clean to every pair of eyes. and most of the time, it's harder to satisfy your mind than your eyes because your mind knows the inclusions are there.

another words the stone may be eye clean but not mind clean.----------------

Wow--I think this is the most perfect summation of this issue I've seen yet.
appl.gif

I am going to swear with all I have that in a well-cut stone (especially a SuperbCert), Si1 and even most Si2 inclusions are not recognizable to 99.99% of the people, even 8 or 10 inches away.

It all comes down to you--can YOUR mind's eye live with it?
2.gif

So, add "mind clean" the list of diamondology.

Well done, v!
1.gif

slammie

Shiny_Rock
yes, very well put vtigger! Jennifer, vtigger, I going to send this to AGA, but before I do that, Barry wants to send some inclusion photos to me hopefully by this monday. He's moving offices so his DSL lines aren't up yet.
I'm sure I won't be disappointed...his stones are truly amazing! and I know his SI1 have a great reputation for being eye clean. Will update next week!
21.gif
thanks again

slammie

Shiny_Rock
/idealbb/images/smilies/wavey.gifThis is so cool! thanks Reena for the tip on pasting pics!!

812.jpg

Anyway, thanks again to all who gave feedback on my situation. Barry sent me this beautiful collage to me today and as Vtigger put it, I feel that it is "mind clean". It stunning /idealbb/images/smilies/love.gif and can't wait to see it in person!! I'm having it sent to AGA and if everything is a-okay then going with a leon mege setting which means I won't see this puppy after the initial look for a while/idealbb/images/smilies/nono.gif. Anyway, like to hear what you all think! Thanks/idealbb/images/smilies/appl.gif

/idealbb/images/smilies/wavey.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slammie, that's one beautiful stone. Congrats.
love.gif
appl.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think you made a great choice.
love.gif
I am very happy for you. I can't wait to see the finished product.
1.gif

appl.gif
appl.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
----------------

i know the inclusions are there but when you're over 40, everything looks eye clean.----------------

Slammie, this made me chuckle. No wonder my eye clean SI1 really looks like an IF to me.
9.gif
Glad 40 eyes can be a good thing when you need them to be.
2.gif
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love this stone and those droolific pictures. Great choice and let us know how it goes!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Odd.....I noticed the inclusion right away in the 5x picture first......and I'm not usually good at picking them out.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Kamuelamom, I guess my mom in her late fifites won't stand a chance seeing the inclusion! Plus, she's always yanking the item she's looking at 3 feet away to see better...guess all she'll see is sparkle!!
thanks all for kind words!! Aljedewey, obviously I can see the inclusion in the 5x pic too but I think I can live with the size of it and think in most lightening conditions I won't see the bugger. Love yours by the way!!
21.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/5/2004 10:01:57 PM Kamuelamom wrote:

----------------

Slammie, this made me chuckle. No wonder my eye clean SI1 really looks like an IF to me.
9.gif
Glad 40 eyes can be a good thing when you need them to be.
2.gif
wavey.gif

----------------

Kamuelamom

i'am the one that is over 40
wavey.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slammie
have you seen the stone ? if its mind clean & eye clean to you then that's what matters.ask Chris at AGA a lot of questions see what he think about the inclusions and how the stone sparkles compare to others that he had seen.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/6/2004 1:28:04 AM slammie wrote:

Kamuelamom, I guess my mom in her late fifites won't stand a chance seeing the inclusion! Plus, she's always yanking the item she's looking at 3 feet away to see better...guess all she'll see is sparkle!!
thanks all for kind words!! Aljedewey, obviously I can see the inclusion in the 5x pic too but I think I can live with the size of it and think in most lightening conditions I won't see the bugger. Love yours by the way!!
21.gif

----------------

Oh, I wasn't trying to discourage you at all from buying it. I just found it odd that I finally picked up on one, and this one was only at 5x mag.

Having said that, it doesn't mean much. Some people can spot a breadcrumb on the ground from 30 feet away! Glad I'm not one of them....it would really limit my choices!

21.gif
21.gif

Hoping you'll love the stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results