shape
carat
color
clarity

Updated pictures of my rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
it's about my wedding set. DH will kill me for even thinking about this...

Anyway, Here is the deal. I have never been happy with how wide both of my rings are. To give perspective, I have a 1.5 center stone, on a 1 carat tw. band, and a wband of 1 ctw. They are so wide together that they are uncomfortable, and especially in this super hot summer, there have been many, many days I haven't been able to wear them together. Very frustrating. I would be happier with 1/2 or 3/4 carat bands, and I would have been from day 1, but never really specified that when ering was made (I know, sooooo naive !!!)

So here are my thought.
1) should I change them at all. (I have had both bands shaved in the back to help with comfort, has helped a little but not really...)
2) I could maybe just get a new wedding band, at about 1/2 ct or 3/4 ct. My jeweler would do this and credit me the difference..I asked once in the passed stillpretty sure about that.

3) remake both rings (same thing, jeweler would credit)

4) stick it out until this bloody hot summer is over

All in all, I think they are really thick rings and I think I would be happier if I changed it. would anyone, downsize, or am I just nutso??????

I will post some pics later tonight.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you shouldn''t have to struggle through the seasons wearing your rings. how fun is that?
if you think a smaller set would be more comfortable, go for it! you need to be happy with them, no doubt.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
While I like your wedding set, there is no reason why you should be uncomfortable! If the jeweler will credit them, I would redo them. Also, a thinner setting and band will showcase your huge honkin'' center stone better
31.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
no sense trying to wear something that hurts,,, change em.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re uncomfortable with your rings then definitely go for a different thinner option. One added benefit of thinner bands is that your center stone (which already looks huge!) would probably *pop* even more!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd change it If I were you, no sense in wearing something that is uncomfortable and your jeweler sounds very accomodating. Go for it!!!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thanks guys for your ever understanding, and support! it really does mean alot.

I have been thinking about this and I am sure that this would not be a good time for this change. But I will have to just see what DH thinks :)

Here are a couple pics.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Heres the question....are you comfy and do you like your set in the spring, fall & winter? I am really prone to swelling and in the summer my rings feel really uncomfy....I just stick to wearing my wedding band alone unless i''m going out. When i''m just around the house and not doing much I just wear my wedding band, and put the ering on for going out. :) Even if it''s just to the movies. It would be an easy solution until you make the big decision.

I don''t think your pics showed up!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
here''s one where you can see how wide they are. and how they pudge out around the fingers.. wonder if it could be tapered??

whole handy.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
and here is the width in the band. I have already had them shaved in once.. Maybe I could try again?

backohand.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
here is the back of a sapphire ring I have on top of my ering. look at the difference here !

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
and for comparison, hree is that sapphire ring on my hand. look at the difference in the width.

mysapphhhh.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 10:23:23 PM
Author: devientdrow
Heres the question....are you comfy and do you like your set in the spring, fall & winter? I am really prone to swelling and in the summer my rings feel really uncomfy....I just stick to wearing my wedding band alone unless i''m going out. When i''m just around the house and not doing much I just wear my wedding band, and put the ering on for going out. :) Even if it''s just to the movies. It would be an easy solution until you make the big decision.

I don''t think your pics showed up!

I do sometimes just wear the band... but I feel sad, since so much money has gone in to both of these rings I feel like I should wear them both.. I just wish they would shrink themselves.

They do fit more comfortably in the other months, in fact very loose in winter. that is why I don''t want to go any bigger in size.

I do also agree with what others have said about smaller side diamonds would make my center stone pop, and lord knows we all love em to pop!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would downsize in a hearbeat. Would make your beautiful center REALLY stand out and look bigger. Especially since you aren''t losing anything on it. Heartbeat.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Sophie,

love your rings....but I do agree, they are a bit wide for your finger.

when you find some styles you like, please show us some pics!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thanks jetmal for the reply. If I were to do this, I would go with the same style, just less carat weight in the bands, so they wouldn''t be so bulky on my finger.

MY hubby sorta laughed when I mentioned my frustration last night. He said "nothing about these rings will be the same as the day we got married".

So far I have:
Upgraded center stone and had ering remade (with the same sidestones) to accomodate the new center.
Had the wband remade after the wedding bc the diamonds weren''t centered on the ring and they didn''t line up well.
So if i were to lower my carat wt, I would have nothing that was the same about the rings from our wedding day. Sad thought.

I HATE that these rings became such a saga to get right. For heaven''s sake, it''s not like they are a very unique setting. I just didn''t know alot of things when I started this process. One benefit to buying a ready mount set would have been that I would have known for sure how wide they would have been.... oh if I could only go back 4 yrs!!!!

7.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
where does your finger hurt when you wear them?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
it''s not so much a "hurt" it is just that they are so thick that they are rather cumbersome at times. Especially when it is hot, I can''t hardly wear them together, if at all. Like today I am just wearing the band.
It is hard to explain.
They are a comfortable width if it were only one ring being worn, but since it is 2 on that hand, it is just thick. Even when I am typing, bc the fingers curve down some, the pudge around my finger gets caught in them.
I know my fingers aren''t small (wband is a 6 1/2 and ering 6 3/4) but I feel like they look so much chubbier with the thick bands...

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I agree, if you''d be happier with them thinner and you''d get money BACK, I would do it in a heartbeat!!!! Don''t forget to post pics of their makeover!
9.gif

lady

Rough_Rock
Sophie,

Can you tell me how thick (in mm) your e-band and w-band are?

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
Do it!!!

I have similarly shaped hands - kind of short fingers with a little extra "pudge" as you put it... and, I went with a really thin shank on my e-ring (2.5mm). It''s more comfortable, makes the diamond look bigger, and, is really just more WEARABLE!

Patrice

Rough_Rock
If I were you I would wear one on each hand. You don''t have to wear both all the time.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A guys view, but maybe one who believes in satisfying needs, not sentiment. I''m not sure I understand the sentimentality of the actual rings that a marriage was built on. Not that I don''t understand the significance of the ring(s), it''s that I don''t understand how changing a ring, the stone, the accompanying rings, etc., changes the committment made. We don''t keep the same car forever, our tastes and needs change. We don''t stay in the same houses forever (well some people do, but that''s rare today) and we change jobs in a heartbeat (there''s almost no such thing as employer/employee loyalty anymore). So, tell your husband that the sentiment has not, nor will it change, but your needs have and there shouldn''t be any reason you shouldn''t accomodate your needs from time to time.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the guy''s perspective, Rod.
28.gif

My hubby will go along with it if I decide to but it just always feels like there is some drama to do with the wedding set, and it started before I found
Pricescope! lol
41.gif

So, I stopped by the jeweler today and I will start with trying to have them tapered and we will see if that does the trick. I will measure them when I get a sec bc someone asked their thickness..

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2006 5:47:09 PM
Author: Sophie
28.gif

My hubby will go along with it if I decide to but it just always feels like there is some drama to do with the wedding set, and it started before I found
Pricescope! lol
41.gif

So, I stopped by the jeweler today and I will start with trying to have them tapered and we will see if that does the trick. I will measure them when I get a sec bc someone asked their thickness..

You''re welcome Sophie.......It is possible, just maybe, that you have DOCD. Most of us on PS are DOCD afflicted you know. In case you are not familiar with DOCD, perhaps the following might have some ring of truth to you.........

Diamond Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (DOCD), is an illness many of us suffer from on this forum. DOCD, discovered by Dr. Brillianteering in the early 1900''s, is a manifestation of mental anomolies when perfectly sane individuals become the owners of high quality diamonds and the settings those diamond sit in. What typically occurs for an accurate DOCD diagnosis is euphoria upon the purchase of a nice gem or setting, followed by self doubt, and ultimately downright concern that the purchased stone or setting has somehow magically shrunk or changed in appearance while the owner slept.
While there are no known medications available to combat DOCD, many people have reported the symptoms are reduced or completely eliminated by purchasing larger, higher quality diamonds or visiting chain jewelry stores, such as Zales or Kay, or having lunch with a friend who has jewelry of poorer quality than the DOCD sufferer.

But, since you''re looking for comfort, perhaps DOCD doesn''t really apply here............
19.gif
31.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
LOl,
thanks for the comic relief.
I think parts of DOCD apply here, even if my wish is for smaller diamonds, in this case!

I measured my rings.
The ering is .4mm at the back and half way between .4 and .5mm on top.
The wband is also .4mm at the back but is halfway between .5 and .6 at the top!

This makes for .8mm at the back and halfway between .9mm and 1inch!!!wow that''s wide

aquarius4u

Rough_Rock
why should you suffer?Life is so short...get what your heart desires!

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Sophie, I am sorry that you are not comfortable with your ring''s wide,
if I were you. I will change the setting,
E-ring is not just a Ring, you should falling love with your ring over and over again.

how about
just set in simple setting like
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/4-Prong--Tiffany---18k-WG--Princess-_995.htm

then

make Eternity ring by using e-ring & w-band stone like http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=1912

I guess this kind of setting looks bit thiner than chanel setting.

or http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=3630

Date: 8/11/2006 5:53:02 PM
Author: Rod

Date: 8/11/2006 5:47:09 PM
Author: Sophie
28.gif

Pricescope! lol
41.gif

You''re welcome Sophie.......It is possible, just maybe, that you have DOCD. Most of us on PS are DOCD afflicted you know. In case you are not familiar with DOCD, perhaps the following might have some ring of truth to you.........

Diamond Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (DOCD), is an illness many of us suffer from on this forum. DOCD, discovered by Dr. Brillianteering in the early 1900''s, is a manifestation of mental anomolies when perfectly sane individuals become the owners of high quality diamonds and the settings those diamond sit in. What typically occurs for an accurate DOCD diagnosis is euphoria upon the purchase of a nice gem or setting, followed by self doubt, and ultimately downright concern that the purchased stone or setting has somehow magically shrunk or changed in appearance while the owner slept.

While there are no known medications available to combat DOCD, many people have reported the symptoms are reduced or completely eliminated by purchasing larger, higher quality diamonds or visiting chain jewelry stores, such as Zales or Kay, or having lunch with a friend who has jewelry of poorer quality than the DOCD sufferer.

But, since you''re looking for comfort, perhaps DOCD doesn''t really apply here............
19.gif
31.gif
Dr Rod, my DH laughed so hard and now calling me as DOCD
31.gif
31.gif

you are so funny!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results