shape
carat
color
clarity

Updated: Engagement Ring Help

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
Apologies if this isn't the correct; I can't figure out a way to edit my original post so I can update it there (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-ring-help.280521/#post-5285969)

I just returned from visiting my local jeweler that was rec'd to me; this was very helpful but now I have more questions.

Has been certified GIA gemologist since 1969; family run.

1 preface; after seeing a 4-4.5ct size rock in person I realize that's just going to be too much bling for my soon-to-be-fiancee's finger. So I revised the size down to ~3.5

He only stocks natural, no labgrown but was happy to pull some options to order that he could have next day or two in shop. to review.

Prices seemed inflated to what I was seeing online at Ritani, Rockher, Brilliance etc but I understand he's probably marking up more.

Do these specs seem fair for price? Here's a few examples.
(2) 3.01ct, F, VS1, GIA, (1) ratio: 1.42, (1) ratio 1.37), $2635
3.50ct, D, VVS2, GIA, 1.44 ratio, $4105.
3.87ct, G, VS1, GIA, 1.4 ratio, $2800 (this seemed really reasonable)

He did recommend me picking ~3 for him to bring in then we could look at in comparison and go from there, which I thought was good sign.

One thing I found puzzling is when I asked him about the oval cut importance he said that any of the labgrown cuts will have have some degree of bowtie (yes, understood) but that the cut quality is all high and I shouldn't be "worried" about that per se. This was in stark contrast to what I've seen on this forum and wondering if that is a redflag? Or maybe he was oversimplifying for me.

The Setting:
Would be custom: I told him french set, halo, platinum was my preference; he showed me a french set hidden halo that was gorgeous. Made a point to note that his setting metallurgist he has been working with for over 20 years and is a surgical craftsman. Also stated he uses natural, hearts and arrow, G/VS1 min on all the french settings. It was a stunning setting, I have to say.

Estimate of $3200 for setting.

I thought this seemed high but then checked on the settings at Ritani, Rocker, etc... the min's there were H/VS2

He also stressed that going to a lab vs natural on the setting wouldn't effect cost that much; and then could upgrade center to stone to natural later if I wanted.

I'm not really concerned about natural at this point. Is it common for people to pay more for setting than center stone?
Q's:
Does this local jeweler seem like someone good to work with or any red flags from this visit?
Are his center stone prices fair?
Would I better off getting center stone online and then taking to him for setting?
Is there that much difference between the H/VS2 min online and the G/VS1?
(The setting I saw in person was gorgeous and sparkled magnificently; the prong work on centerpiece looked really nice as well).

TLDR: I'm an overthinker on stuff like this, I realize a lot is subjective so any suggestions or feedback thank you in advance.

(I have a headache now )

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. First of all, you don't have to edit your original post, just add another post to continue the conversation. This also pushes your post to the top of the list when you open the blog.
WhiteFlash Fancy cuts are different animals and each have their quirks. You can find a beautiful diamond, but unless you're very lucky, it will take some work. I tend to be skeptical of B&M (brick and mortar) stores as they have overhead, etc. to build into their price. So, my recommendation would be to search online, find videos you think look good and then post here and tag Deja and Kim and they (and others) will give you their opinions. WhiteFlash is a great online vendor. I don't know if they have ovals in house, but if they do, their reps are very good at looking for you and describing the diamond's reaction in different lighting. Link above to a search I just put in for WF. I don't have time to look at them for you, but that's where the work comes in.
You should also contact Alex Parks Antiques Lab on Instagram. People have had a lot of success with him and he puts up quite a few ovals. But, if you see something you have to act fast. You can also tell them what you're looking for to see if they have anything coming up - but they are mostly too busy to keep looking for you. Also, check his return policy. I don't know what it is, but his prices are pretty competitive. Remember to check all the return policies for any online vendor you might look at.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Also, you can tag the administrator here and they will move the post back to your original one. I just don't remember what they call the admin on this blog, but I'm sure someone will speak up.

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
Hi. First of all, you don't have to edit your original post, just add another post to continue the conversation. This also pushes your post to the top of the list when you open the blog.
WhiteFlash Fancy cuts are different animals and each have their quirks. You can find a beautiful diamond, but unless you're very lucky, it will take some work. I tend to be skeptical of B&M (brick and mortar) stores as they have overhead, etc. to build into their price. So, my recommendation would be to search online, find videos you think look good and then post here and tag Deja and Kim and they (and others) will give you their opinions. WhiteFlash is a great online vendor. I don't know if they have ovals in house, but if they do, their reps are very good at looking for you and describing the diamond's reaction in different lighting. Link above to a search I just put in for WF. I don't have time to look at them for you, but that's where the work comes in.
You should also contact Alex Parks Antiques Lab on Instagram. People have had a lot of success with him and he puts up quite a few ovals. But, if you see something you have to act fast. You can also tell them what you're looking for to see if they have anything coming up - but they are mostly too busy to keep looking for you. Also, check his return policy. I don't know what it is, but his prices are pretty competitive. Remember to check all the return policies for any online vendor you might look at.

Thank you! It’s been a while since I’ve been on a forum and used to Reddit/Discord edits to update original lol.

I will def check the WhiteFlash you linked. I briefly tried their interface and found some ovals but it wasn’t the most user friendly. I’ll go back since I e seen them referenced in quite a few threads

Checked Alex Park and he’s had some great pieces come through! Will DM tonight

Hoping admins can move this back over to the appropriate post. Thank you again for the suggestions and help

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does this local jeweler seem like someone good to work with or any red flags from this visit?
If you (or he) picks 3 you're sort of limited to the best of the 3 right?
Are his center stone prices fair?
You do pay a little more for brick and mortar stones but it may be worth it for you to see some in person.
(cost a little more to run a store)
Would I better off getting center stone online and then taking to him for setting?
Maybe...the hard part about buying on line is that the selection is so large.
Is there that much difference between the H/VS2 min online and the G/VS1? (The setting I saw in person was gorgeous and sparkled magnificently; the prong work on centerpiece looked really nice as well).

Well, there shouldn't be much difference. Most people dont spend more on the setting than they do on their main stone but
now that lab stones have become popular its probably going to start happening more. I wouldn't worry about which costs more
as long as you are getting her what she wants/will love.

I did notice that James Allen has their settings at 50% off right now. I've never seen them do 50% before. *May not be as
nice as what the jeweler showed you thought.

Do you want a halo around the main stone or do you want a hidden halo?

Edit...FYI, I do have a setting from JA and its made very nicely, however, it has no pave on it so I have no experience with that.

Last edited:

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
If you (or he) picks 3 you're sort of limited to the best of the 3 right?

You do pay a little more for brick and mortar stones but it may be worth it for you to see some in person.
(cost a little more to run a store)

Maybe...the hard part about buying on line is that the selection is so large.

Well, there shouldn't be much difference. Most people dont spend more on the setting than they do on their main stone but
now that lab stones have become popular its probably going to start happening more. I wouldn't worry about which costs more
as long as you are getting her what she wants/will love.

I did notice that James Allen has their settings at 50% off right now. I've never seen them do 50% before. *May not be as
nice as what the jeweler showed you thought.

Do you want a halo around the main stone or do you want a hidden halo?

Edit...FYI, I do have a setting from JA and its made very nicely, however, it has no pave on it so I have no experience with that.

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

I'm the worst with in person sales; I'm quick to buy so glad I got out quick-ish lol

I will check JA settings thank you.

The French-pave Halo style is what I think she will adore with an oval center stone. At this point I'd be happy to just find the center stone for now and I can either have parents check setting, or send stone to me in HK and try and find a local option.

I have the "easy option" of that wonderful ~4ct you sent to me from Ritani that I could get them to set. Have you had experience with Ritani settings?

I will also search that in the forum.

Sounds like at minimum I'll be looking through some gems and tagging you (+ a few others) if thats ok for feedback.

Thank you again

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I do not have experience with Ritani but if you do a search on PS you might find others who have.

4 carats + a halo is going to be a large ring but its all relative to where you live and what your Girlfriend is used to seeing.
You dont want to get her something so large that she doesn't find herself wearing it. This used to not be such a problem
because something that big in an Earth mind stone was out of reach for most people.

You can use this tool to help give a relative 2D view of the stone size on a size 7 finger (change the finger size to 7 and the shank
size to about 2.3mm). I'm using a comparison to a 6.5 carat stone so you can see how big it may look with a halo. Anyway, its
a great tool to play around with. Also, I find if you dont enter the measurements and just let it default to a size for the carat
weight it usually estimates "large" for the carat weight.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
PSers love David Klass. Maybe see if you can get a quote for a setting like the one you're asking for. That will give you a sense of whether or not your local guy is giving you a fair deal.

Ovals are really tough, as you've no doubt seen on lots of threads here. People do seem to have good luck with Alex Park. @jeaniefish bought a 3ct for $2k not long ago and was looking to unload it. She might be able to tell you about her experience. Plus Alex got her an oval which was never featured on IG so that she didn't have to jump into the DMs at a moment's notice.

Lastly - of course you have a headache. This is a precious decision with a lot of moving parts. We've had our share of headaches from staring at diamonds, and that's why we're all here to help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results