shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
Greetings all

I've been researching for about 2 months off and on finding a labgrown diamond for an engagement ring to propose to my soon-to-be fiancee. Ironically I only just found the PS community today and have spent hours reading through posts trying to catch up.

TLDR I'm relocating to Hong Kong from USA in about 1 month for work and would like to get rolling on this ASAP since the time crunch has now begun

Looking for:
4.-4.5ct Oval labgrown (no pref on HPHT or CVD)
VVS2 min
G minimum;
budget for loose stone capped at $3500-ish.

*I'm seeing that cut grades are not done on fancy cuts like ovals? Any advice on evaluating plz let me know; (Cut section in Education only covered round from what I saw)

My plan is to get the stone asap then have a local jeweler do the setting (Platinum, french set halo is what I am planning) Total ring budget $5700 ideally.

I now have my head spinning between Ritani, Rocker, Brilliance, Grown Brilliance etc etc looking at all these options. I'm a newbie to this and would appreciate any suggestions to avoid making a rookie mistake; I think I've got a decent eye for seeing the bowties but the straining is new to me as of today.

Have seen many people in this community like @DejaWiz and @Kim N helping others in this same vein.

Can post listing links if that helps; here's one I've got saved currently (https://www.rockher.com/apps/diamon...onealgo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=stonealgo)

Thank you for any/all suggestions.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I dont think you've left yourself enough time. Shouldnt be a problem getting a diamond in time but having
a custom made halo before you leave is pushing it unless you leave and have them send it to Hong Kong. The other option
is to get the stone and have the setting made in Hong Kong after you've moved.

What size finger does she have?

The best ovals will have "nice" facets (well-defined distinct facets that return light well) in the areas I marked in green.
You will usually only see these as the stone turns. Unfortunately, most lab ovals are cut with 8 mains and these areas are
pretty mushy (kind of grayed out due to too many virtual facets). You have to do a lot of searching to find nice ones.
1 oval.png

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome and congratulations! Yes, fancy cuts make it a little more difficult. You may have seen this article, but I find it very helpful in discussing the pros and cons of ovals and what to look for.
Oval Cut Diamonds
It might be a good idea, besides using the prosumers on here like Deja and Kim, to look at some online vendors that actually have their eyes on the diamonds or that use a concierge service to help you find the perfect one. Many of the vendors you mentioned pull from the same source and don’t necessarily have the diamond in house to actually look at and evaluate. I think ovals are beautiful but obviously you’ll want the best.

I agree with Kim, don’t rush this or you’ll make a mistake.

Also, have you done a search on here under “oval”. It will bring up a lot of posts where you can read about others and maybe get some ideas on what vendors to use. (PS, I am not an expert, but love lurking - and sometimes buying! on here!!!)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an 8 main I found (that I like) where the mains go straight through the center. Most of the ovals are cut
in 8 main offsets with 2 mains forming a V meeting in the middle.

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
To be honest, I dont think you've left yourself enough time. Shouldnt be a problem getting a diamond in time but having
a custom made halo before you leave is pushing it unless you leave and have them send it to Hong Kong. The other option
is to get the stone and have the setting made in Hong Kong after you've moved.

What size finger does she have?

The best ovals will have "nice" facets (well-defined distinct facets that return light well) in the areas I marked in green.
You will usually only see these as the stone turns. Unfortunately, most lab ovals are cut with 8 mains and these areas are
pretty mushy (kind of grayed out due to too many virtual facets). You have to do a lot of searching to find nice ones.
1 oval.png

Thank you for the feedback. She has a size 7 ring size

I was slightly worried about the timing when I started looking around on here yesterday. I had been waiting on work visa stuff etc and now seems to be a crunch.

I'm not opposed to having the setting made and done where I get the stone also. The Rockher stone I could have the setting done by them in house as well; but now seems the stone isn't great.

Thanks again for the feedback and will keep looking

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
Welcome and congratulations! Yes, fancy cuts make it a little more difficult. You may have seen this article, but I find it very helpful in discussing the pros and cons of ovals and what to look for.
Oval Cut Diamonds
It might be a good idea, besides using the prosumers on here like Deja and Kim, to look at some online vendors that actually have their eyes on the diamonds or that use a concierge service to help you find the perfect one. Many of the vendors you mentioned pull from the same source and don’t necessarily have the diamond in house to actually look at and evaluate. I think ovals are beautiful but obviously you’ll want the best.

I agree with Kim, don’t rush this or you’ll make a mistake.

Also, have you done a search on here under “oval”. It will bring up a lot of posts where you can read about others and maybe get some ideas on what vendors to use. (PS, I am not an expert, but love lurking - and sometimes buying! on here!!!)

Thank you for link, will read now. Will also look around on here for some concierge services.

I wasn't trying to rush but now feeling it Have no experience buying jewels in HK (Have visited 5 separate times) but not opposed to figuring that out if necessary.

Thx again

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not saying its bad @ChezTNR ...it is the typical 8 main offset faceting pattern that can tend to be a little leaky where I pointed out
in the above picture.

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
Here is an 8 main I found (that I like) where the mains go straight through the center. Most of the ovals are cut

This looks really nice, wow! Thank you for sharing

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
I'm not saying its bad @ChezTNR ...it is the typical 8 main offset faceting pattern that can tend to be a little leaky where I pointed out
in the above picture.

Understood, that's why I posted on here to get feedback from experienced eyes vs my newbie ones

VS the diamond you linked, I can see the distinction clearly now. Thank you

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the facets on the one tyty333 found. I’ve never noticed one like that before, but it definitely downplays the bow tie.

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock

tyty

The setting proposed is a 1.8mm width platinum. Do you thank that is sturdy enough long term for this stone? My fiance is very slender and slender fingers but is still ~5'9; I'm now looking into width for rings and overthinking haha

I want to accent the stone and give a halo and love the French setting... is it too thin for this stone though?

Thank you!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Did you secure the stone? That is of utmost importance.

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
Did you secure the stone? That is of utmost importance.

Not yet, because Ritani has the setting that I like so I would have them set since I'm buying the stone from them

I was seeing anywhere from 2-6mm being talked about for settings so now I'm trying to research that.

ChezTNR

Rough_Rock
Hi @tyty333 I'm back. (Anyone else feel free to jump in plwase)

I debated too long and the diamond you had linked to is now UA. I'm back looking for more options. (Staying in the ~3.5-4.2 range)

Here are 3 listed, do you have opinions/preferences?

Thank you. Any feedback much appreciated

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results