shape
carat
color
clarity

Update: Switched out to BN Sig Cushion - yay!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an update to my previous cushion search thread (https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-two-ja-modern-cushions-w-asets.208247/page-2), I returned the 1.01ct D-VS1 cushion with mbf to JA (http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-294031). The JA stone was purchased under the old 60-day return policy so I held onto it for a number of weeks. The longer I had it, the more the "not quite square, not quite rectangle" (5.78 x 5.66mm) shape bothered me. And, though I adored the blue-white color, I also came to think the diamond was rather flat - not sure if I mean the crown height was not enough, or if the overall performance was not quite as active as I would have preferred... but something was lacking.

Still, twice since I returned the JA cushion I called them up, asking to buy it back - the first time I requested the buy-back, when push came to shove, I decided against buying it back. The 2nd time I called JA hoping to buy it back, the JA sales rep said it showed as "not available" in their system and there was nothing they could do; I'd just have to keep my eye on the listing and see if it became available again. When I wasn't that disappointed or worried about getting my hands back on that diamond, I realized that my original decision to return the JA cushion was correct, and moved on.

I did take a slight detour onto a brief crush on asschers, and a flirtation with ovals - and though I do think there is an asscher in my future, I began my cushion search again... this time checking out BN's Signature Cushions.

My DH knew that I really wanted to get to 6mm if possible, so he suggested I buy the BN Sig Cushion closest to 6mm with the GCAL images most pleasing to my eye, and not to worry about color - I could always return/exchange if I found the color was not white enough for me.

So yesterday I chose this BN 1.03ct H-SI1 Signature Cushion, 5.9 x 5.89mm (http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05261067), and it was delivered today. I love the square pillowy shape and the higher crown/smaller table on this cushion - and the overall performance is *much* more lively as compared to my recollection of the JA cushion - seems like more scintillation, more fire, more light return. And, color-wise, though this H-SI1 clearly is not a D-VS1, I do find it white enough and it seems to be eyeclean (though I still need to thoroughly examine it and have my DH check it out).

dsc01649_-_b.jpg

dsc01639_-_b.jpg

dsc01625_-_b.jpg

I have combed through the BN Signature Cushion inventory to see if there is a cushion with fluorescence that I like better than this 1.03ct H-SI1, but there isn't. (I'm pretty picky about the GCAL images, and lot of them have fatter arrows than is my preference.) I did find a couple of G-color cushions, with fluor and w/o fluor, which are similar in carat weight/face-up size, that I do like, but I'm not willing to pay the extra $$$ for a color/fluor boost that may not even be noticeable.

I will admit, now that I have this 5.9mm, I am thinking, "boy, 6.5mm would be the sweeeet spot!" But, then I put this baby on my finger and, really, once set, I think it will be perfect.

In terms of setting, I'll be going with BE - it's between the Dora, and the setting that BE created for urasia's cushion http://www.pricescope.com/forum/roc...this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics-t206771-60.html I think the prong orientation on the setting BE did for urasia really emphasizes the cushion shape, which is what I really love about it, but I haven't seen a profile shot of that setting yet.

Just got the new diamond today, though, so I'll wait a bit to make sure the love is still there . . .

Those of you who've followed my cushion journey (and anyone else), please let me know what your thoughts/reactions!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert but I just love the shape of squarish cushions! The shape of this stone is delish! It's like a chiclet. So yummy! Hope it meets with all your performance expectations.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm also a big fan of square, this stone looks lovely on your hand, good choice :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous Diamond!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LLJsmom, Asscherhalo_lover, and AprilBaby - I appreciate your positive feedback - it really is a delightful cushiony diamond.

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
Wow marymm you switch out your cushion? People on here were raving about it. But if it truly doesn't make you happy, then you have to find the one that does. I took my gf to Tiffany's today to compare the 2 carat cushion that we sourced outside with a BGD setting and it was a light show! No contest - my fiance loves it and we're truly happy with it. I hope you find the stone that's right for you as well!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the shape and cut of your new cushion marymm. Very beautiful!
I will be curious to see how you feel about the H color vs. the higher color you had originally hoped for after living with the stone a while longer. I am facing the same dilemma, my preferred color is a F, but have found a couple of H's that I am seriously considering. Your diamond sure does look bright and white to me. It will look gorgeous in either of the BE settings you are considering. Congrats!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the new stone beautiful choice!!!!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a really lovely shaped stone and the size looks nicely proportional on your hand.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love the pillow shape of this diamond: square, yet with around and soft touch. It already makes a statement when resting on your hand and I am convinced that will be even more emphasized once it's set in one of the BE setting of your choice. I love the prong orientation of the setting in the link you posted.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the diamond! I am a huge fan of the BN Signature Cushions and always happy to see more examples of them.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
noscrusir, arkieb1, chel180, Acinom, and CharmyPoo - thank you for your comments!

2Neezers|1421554510|3818306 said:
I love the shape and cut of your new cushion marymm. Very beautiful!
I will be curious to see how you feel about the H color vs. the higher color you had originally hoped for after living with the stone a while longer. I am facing the same dilemma, my preferred color is a F, but have found a couple of H's that I am seriously considering. Your diamond sure does look bright and white to me. It will look gorgeous in either of the BE settings you are considering. Congrats!

2Neezers - you have hit the nail on the head - color is the only potential issue here. My plan is to keep evaluating this loose cushion for the next couple weeks - and to keep my eye on the BN Sig Cushion inventory - if another 5.9-6mm cushion comes in meeting my GCAL preferences but with higher color/fluor, I may decide to return/exchange within my return period - but frankly, I'm not sure I'll choose to pay the likely $2K+ extra cost to go higher in color and stay at this size... this particular H-color is very bright face-up and from the side I do not see a tint. If a larger G/H with fluor comes in, though, I may be very tempted!

urasia

Rough_Rock
Your new cushion is gorgeous!! Very symmetrical and has a lot of bright contrasting facets and personality! I totally know what you mean by the not quite square not quite rectangle thing, I think that would irk me as well haha

I did post a profile shot in the cushion thread previously that might help you decide which direction you want to go in regards to the setting.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cuts-a-collection.135031/page-14#post-3802186#p3802186']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cuts-a-collection.135031/page-14#post-3802186#p3802186[/URL]

Your diamond with the Dora setting would also be a stunning choice! You could even work with BE to come up with a combination of the 2 styles if you wanted!

I agree that the beautiful shapes of cushion cuts sometimes seem to get lost/hidden with the corner prong placements. The soft rounded corners are covered and the diamond tends to appear more angular/squarish. This is the main reason I went for the unconventional orientation, and I don't regret it one bit!!

Below are some pics of the specs I received prior to the ring being built. As you can see the first one has the diamond set quite high which was not to my personal preference so I requested a lower profile (I went with the third one, lowest possible). Although, some people might like a higher profile so I would suggest to be specific about what you prefer when you communicate with BE.

The open profile may not be for everyone so this can always be tweaked and redesigned to your liking also. Mark was very accommodating and easy to work with, however if you are particular you need to be quite specific about exactly you want to achieve in the end.

_26164.jpg

_26165.jpg

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
The stone looks lovely. I've been curious about these BN Signature Cushions. It's nice to get your in-person impressions above that it is lively. It looks beautiful on your hand.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
urasia - your post is very helpful - thank you for the link and the extra design pics - I think I'd probably go with the medium profile or even a slight bit higher (maybe 6.25?) - and perhaps in all 14kt rose gold or just the shank in rose and the prongs/diamond basket in Plat... but I'm trying to restrain myself from ordering the setting until after I've had this cushion for a few weeks and have determined it is indeed a keeper.

sweet_blossom - so far I am *very* impressed with this BN Sig Cushion - now, I did search through the inventory and click on each GCAL report; it seems the majority had fatter arrows and only a small percentage had the narrow arrows (like the one I purchased) - not having had one of the fatter-arrow cushions in hand, I don't know how its performance/overall look would compare with my BN cushion - but I can say that my cushion has fantastic symmetry and edge-to-edge brilliance, along with great fire and light return - and I'm really loving the H&A + square pillowy shape.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
marymm|1421685285|3818890 said:
sweet_blossom - so far I am *very* impressed with this BN Sig Cushion - now, I did search through the inventory and click on each GCAL report; it seems the majority had fatter arrows and only a small percentage had the narrow arrows (like the one I purchased) - not having had one of the fatter-arrow cushions in hand, I don't know how its performance/overall look would compare with my BN cushion - but I can say that my cushion has fantastic symmetry and edge-to-edge brilliance, along with great fire and light return - and I'm really loving the H&A + square pillowy shape.

Thank you for the further insight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results