shape
carat
color
clarity

UPDATE on the diamond buying saga and need info on Boston jewelers for a custom setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
First, I just want to Thank everyone who has helped answer questions and given me feedback. Here is where we stand right now.

A little background - my BF and I began our search with local stores, some good experiences and some not so good experiences. I had been pushing the online diamond buying because I am comfortable with online shopping and interaction but my BF isn't so internet savvy and wasn't thrilled with the idea. Long story short we found a 1.23 H VS2 stone that was almost everything we wanted but didn't score below 2.0 on the HCA . . . it was priced at $6800. See this thread about the details on that diamond https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-think-we-found-the-one-what-do-you-think.55039/

On the day that we were going to purchase that diamond and a setting at that store ($700 for a channel set platinum setting), I got an email from WF about a diamond I had seen and emailed about days earlier . . . I had almost forgotten about that since it took a few days to hear from them. At the very last minute I convinced my boyfriend to put the purchase from the local place on hold to check out the WF stone which you can check out here http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-183740.htm

My main concern about the stone was the Strong Blue Fluor . . . but we decided we'd risk the possibility that it would be hazy or milky and inturn he made me promise that IF the stone wasn't to our liking that I stop this whole "internet buying idea" and stick to local stores.

The stone arrived last Wednesday, we took it directly to the appraiser, Jeff Averbook, who I found on PS . . . he spent a long time looking at the stone and giving us feedback which pretty much matched the AGS cert . . . he did say it was a STONG H color, more an I than a G and that he could tell there was a mild "haze" to the stone from the fluor. However, we couldn't see any of the haze and the stone was as beautiful as the local diamond, it had better cut numbers and cost almost $1000 less . . . I haven't had a chance to look at it in sunlight but my BF looked at it in sunlight and said it had a blue shine to it . . . he didn't notice any milkyness but I will look at it in sunlight today or tomorrow so we can make a final decision . . . but it is looking highly likely that we will be keeping the stone (don't know why I feel so nervous
4.gif
)

So, now for the setting . . . I have some ideas in mind and gave WF some ideas and asked for a quote. The cost of the WF setting is going to wipe out any savings from not buying the stone locally as their settings are way more expensive than the local places. So, I going to be setting shopping this weekend and need some input on places local to the Boston area where I can look at settings or design setting at a local jewelers. Any suggestions of jewelers would be REALLY appreciated.

Also, is it bad manners to try to buy the setting from the local place where I didn't end up buying the diamond . . . would they even sell it to us?

Thanks again, sorry for the LONG post.
Hope we'll get some suggestions on local jewelers that sell nice settings.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not bad manners to try to get a diamond set from a place that did not sell you your center stone. However, some will agree to do this and other vendors will refuse. Also, your stone may not be insured during the setting process if you take it to someone besides WF. Consider buying the setting from someone else and asking WF politely if they would set your stone.

Also, I don''t think WF''s settings are more expensive than local B&M''s. I''ve found some that are cheaper out there, but the melee or workmanship was poorer quality.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 2:30:29 PM
Author: kcoursolle
It''s not bad manners to try to get a diamond set from a place that did not sell you your center stone. However, some will agree to do this and other vendors will refuse. Also, your stone may not be insured during the setting process if you take it to someone besides WF. Consider buying the setting from someone else and asking WF politely if they would set your stone.

Also, I don''t think WF''s settings are more expensive than local B&M''s. I''ve found some that are cheaper out there, but the melee or workmanship was poorer quality.
I agree on K with this... it might be in your best interests to think of that 1,000 not as savings but as an upgrade both in diamond and setting. I would see if you can get the two diamonds together to compare side by side also.... nothing like comparing apples to apples in the same light without having to rely on memory. Also, the blue fluor sounds lovely :swoon:

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I would see if you can get the two diamonds together to compare side by side also.... nothing like comparing apples to apples in the same light without having to rely on memory. Also, the blue fluor sounds lovely :swoon:

This is EXACTLY what I want to do . . . but my BF thinks they won't be happy with us doing this . . . do you think we should just ask them if we can bring in another diamond to do a side by side comparison ??

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 4:12:41 PM
Author: hikerchick

I would see if you can get the two diamonds together to compare side by side also.... nothing like comparing apples to apples in the same light without having to rely on memory. Also, the blue fluor sounds lovely :swoon:

This is EXACTLY what I want to do . . . but my BF thinks they won''t be happy with us doing this . . . do you think we should just ask them if we can bring in another diamond to do a side by side comparison ??
no! I wouldn''t call - in fact I''d go there, ask to see it THEN just whip out the other one and start comparing. One of two things is gonna happen: 1. they''re confident they have the better stone and say be my guest... or 2. they''re concerned they have the inferior stone and say please don''t do that. If you''ve just looked at their stone they can take it away when you pull yours out but they can''t take yours away so there''s nothing stopping you from looking at yours. I wouldn''t ask for permission ahead of time though - I don''t think it warrants it yet they might be inclined to decline after giving them the opportunity. BTW there''s a whole thread on whiteflash rings somewhere....

anyway, you are a consumer - you''re looking for the best quality for the best money. If someone wants to deny you the access to info I wouldn''t work with them in the first place. Not to mention WF has an upgrade policy :D

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
no! I wouldn''t call - in fact I''d go there, ask to see it THEN just whip out the other one and start comparing. One of two things is gonna happen: 1. they''re confident they have the better stone and say be my guest... or 2. they''re concerned they have the inferior stone and say please don''t do that. If you''ve just looked at their stone they can take it away when you pull yours out but they can''t take yours away so there''s nothing stopping you from looking at yours. I wouldn''t ask for permission ahead of time though - I don''t think it warrants it yet they might be inclined to decline after giving them the opportunity.

I am not quite bold enough to do this . . . and my BF would definitely NOT be bold enough to do this . . . maybe we''ll just ask them and if they say no . . . then atleast we don''t waste our time.

Not to mention WF has an upgrade policy :D

Yeah, but part of the reason we are so focused on getting everything to be as "perfect" as possible is because I won''t be upgrading this diamond. Maybe once we have more money we will invest in more diamonds but this will always be my e-ring diamond, I am disgustingly sentimental :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the WF diamond being $1000 less PLUS having ideal cut numbers, I wouldn''t even want to compare it to the other one. The other one can''t be worth $1000 more as far as I am concerned because it is not as well cut as this one. I think that is a terrific price for a stone of that size and other specs!

I''d send this diamond back to WF to set (if you could choose one of their stock settings) OR I''d go to another local jeweler to get it set. I just wouldn''t go back to the one who had the other stone. That would be too awkward for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results