shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on my Amelia stone: Well, it''s NOT my Amelia stone. Please read if you like expensive gems,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hello everyone!

I’m posting this on hangout instead of colored stones, because I think it’s a good reminder for all of us on PS for many of the gem purchases we make. I hope this will be helpful to all us consumers on Pricescope when it comes to our wonderful projects.

Well, many of you probably remember the stone on this thread…

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-amelia-stone-unheated-padparadscha-from-richard-wise.105155/

If you recall, the stone was not certed when Richard received it, but Richard includes the certification in the price of the stone. I am so appreciative and glad that buying more expensive stones through Richards come with certs, because if it had not, I might have not been so fortunate.

The stone, which was sent to AGTA to get certified came back as synthetic. Yes, that means man-made.

Richard called me from Tucson to tell me the news. That part was certainly the bad news. The good news was that he had looked very hard and found a pad that he thought was worthy. He offered me the stone he found, or a refund. My choice. He went above and beyond the call of duty and when you see the stone (which I will post in the original thread) I think you would agree. It is a beautiful stone, and quite a bit bigger than the one I originally had. The color is just as fine, and it is unheated WITH a cert from GRS.

1.gif
If any of you have been on the pad search, you know that lovely ones don’t grow on trees, so I know he must have looked hard for a stone to replace the one I thought would be my Amelia stone. However, I am not posting the pic UNTIL we get the cert, lol, as Richard and I are both still waiting for it (he did speak to GRS personally about it though).

It is with great responsibility and thought that I write this to the Pricescope community. I have been a member of this community for over 4 years and strongly believe this forum is what it is today because we consumers watch out for each other. At the same time, I certainly wanted to be sensitive to Richard and the situation I put him in by jumping the gun and raving about the stone before it got its certification. I can only imagine how terrible he felt about all of this, as he has worked long and hard to develop an impeccable reputation. His humility, professionalism, and no-excuses attitude impressed me more than I can say.

And regarding vendors in general, I would not buy from anyone who didn’t stand behind his wares and get them certed, preferably before you buy (the “Amelia” stone didn’t have a cert when I purchased because Richard wanted to get me the stone to check out before he disappeared for a few weeks in Tucson, but mostly I think his stones come with certs from the get-go if they are over $2000). As far I know, Richard doesn’t have xray vision and superhuman powers – and as you saw, this stone was a knockout. It was even better in person (to my untrained eye). This is a man, who despite his good eye, considers that even experts are fallible and encourages certification! I think we’ve all seen or heard about the vendor who says “trust me and my eye.” Well, Richard is a man who says, “Be savvy and get the paperwork too.” I am so glad to have worked with Richard on this project. It made me realize that when I purchase from a vendor, I’m not just sourcing stones, but that the person’s integrity within his business actually can directly impact my wallet! Had Richard been a lesser vendor, the outcome would not have been this good. I feel he looked out for my interests before his own. But enough raving, lol.

There are so many of us who after years of reading pricescope have a good feeling about who the reputable dealers are. Many of those stones are not certed. The “Amelia” stone should serve as a cautionary tale for all of us to be diligent, no matter WHO the vendor is. I believe that by being diligent in our efforts in getting stones certed AND by choosing a vendor with the highest in integrity in the first place will help get what we paid for with our hard earned cash. I myself came to Pricescope to learn how to save a buck on my engagement ring. Now over 4 years later, I’ve learned that I need to continue my education if I am going to dabble more in gemstones.

However, as Richard did point out to me, not every stone needs to have a lab cert. Heat treatments matter in some stones, and not in others (he gave me the example that there is no price difference between a heated aqua and an unheated one). But stones like rubies or sapphires? Best to insist on certs for those if there are claims for no heat (or if the stone is known for shenanigans), IMHO.

Also, for those of you interested in pads, the problem with the stone I had was that there were no diagnostic inclusions. In fact, there were no inclusions at all. The key test was Xray Spectrography. This is the type of advanced equipment that no gemologist, outside of the well equipped labs, have on hand. Something to think about.

I hope this helps, or at least is interesting to all of you who over the years have helped so many others. I learned a lot over the last couple of months on my active pad search. I will say this…my daughter was easier to come by (practically an “oops” after only two weeks off the pill) than the right padparadscha! However, I find myself very fortunate to have both of them, with my munchkin winning out by a hair.
5.gif

edited to fix formatting

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! Incredible story. I am so so glad that Richard was able to find you another stone though! And kudos to him for making it right and standing behind what he sells.

What a shame though that stone was gorgeous! Makes me want to buy it and just stare at it all day anyway even if it is fake!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG T-gal what a shock!!!! Yes, this is the importance of having a stone certed and I am so happy that Richard found you another gorgeous Pad. I am eagerly waiting for pictures.

Linda

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
First thought: Bummer.
7.gif

Second thought: YAY RICHARD for making it right.
36.gif

Third: I sure hope your munchkin wins over the Pad.
2.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Well, that is a cautionary tale. I''ve been wodering if you had your stone back and what setting you decided on. Glad you have a new stone. I am lookng for a sapphire right now, probably gently heated. I wonder if I should get it certed since the stone won''t claim to be natural. Any thoughts anyone?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:02:02 PM
Author: neatfreak
Wow! Incredible story. I am so so glad that Richard was able to find you another stone though! And kudos to him for making it right and standing behind what he sells.

What a shame though that stone was gorgeous! Makes me want to buy it and just stare at it all day anyway even if it is fake!
Ha, that was one of my first thoughts as well. I told Richard, that sadly, I still like the stone and wouldn''t mind setting it in some cheapo silver setting so I could just look at it from time to time.

He said if they are going to make them fake, they might as well make them look like the best.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and now I can go back to colored stones and comment on all the new beautiful pads! I had been laying low until all this got sorted...
4.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, bummer about the 1st stone but yay about the cert and things going to be made right. I can''t wait for you to get your Amelia stone!!!
12.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for such an informative post TGal. I like the way you wrote it to be sensitive towards Richard and his reputation.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Awww TGal, this is a great thread. Thank you for posting it. I''m glad you have your Amelia stone on it''s way!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a surprise! Good for Richard for handling it with the utmost professional responsibility.

Thanks for sharing, TGal!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:04:22 PM
Author: geckodani
First thought: Bummer.
7.gif

Second thought: YAY RICHARD for making it right.
36.gif

Third: I sure hope your munchkin wins over the Pad.
2.gif
Ditto Gecko! Glad to hear things have turned out OK in the end.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
There are some pretty nice imitation pads out there.

Knowing that I would never be able to afford a real one in the size I wanted, I have seriously considered getting one from Geolite.

TL, if Mr Wise doesn''t let you have your original stone, and you want to get one for your daughter, I think some of these are quite nice.

geolite pad.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, bummer about the first stone. I remember drooling over it when you posted it.

I''m so glad Richard set things right and I can''t wait to see pics of the new stone! Thanks a lot for sharing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great post Tgal, I bet the new stone will be a stunner, Richard sounds like a great guy to work with.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry to hear about the first stone, TG, but I''m sure the new stone from Richard will be equally as stunning! Thank goodness he was on top of things.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 2:37:18 PM
Author: Lorelei
Great post Tgal, I bet the new stone will be a stunner, Richard sounds like a great guy to work with.
Ditto. Awesome post. I can''t wait to see the new stone.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 2:57:07 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 2/25/2009 2:37:18 PM
Author: Lorelei
Ditto. Awesome post. I can''t wait to see the new stone.
Dittos all around. Thanks for sharing your experience.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see the new stone! Bummer about the synth, but it sounds like your new one will be amazing! Thanks for sharing.
1.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for getting your story out. It just proves that even the most stringent vendor is human. Kudos to Richard for going above and beyond. I can''t wait to see the new padpradscha. Even if it proves to be another synthetic.....it is so good to know that you are in good hands with Richard!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you for the reminder that any expensive stone needs a cert, not just a diamond!!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that must have come as a shocker...it was so beautiful, the color is to die for.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
WOW
6.gif
, thanks for the reminder T-gal and good on Richard for being a top bloke about all this :).

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I can''t say how great it is to hear about a vendor fixing a problem so well. No seller''s perfect; it''s really how they deal with the issues that come up that show how classy they really are.

The new stone sounds fabulous; how disappointing to have that happen with the first one though, aw. Especially for one chosen for such a special reason. (One of my very best friend''s youngest daughter''s name is Amilia too- it''s a very pretty name I think! Though obviously she spells it differently.)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow T-gal!

I''m so glad it was caught and that you were dealing with Richard, who is such an amazing vendor. And you posted about this with so much grace. Thank you for sharing with us and reminding us that we have all have to be careful.

I can''t wait to see your final project!

36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal,

I''m sorry about what happened. No worries about jumping the gun -- you were excited about having a beautiful stone by Richard. Thanks for the lesson. Richard''s actions strengthen my trust in him.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results