shape
carat
color
clarity

Unresolved issue with Ouros

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I felt I should include my not-so-perfect first experience with Ouros Jewels on Etsy. Obviously I'm going to be in the minority with a (partially) negative experience.

I'll preface with saying that the items I received appear to be well made, with nice stones... and that my particular issue would likely be a non-issue for most people. But I do have an issue and I'm not so pleased with how it's been handled. 7 weeks after purchasing, I'm out $200 for one pair of earrings that I'm unable to wear, and so far, no resolution with Ouros.

In November I ordered two different styles of custom made earrings. 5 weeks later, they arrived (I did not have the same experience as many reviewers receiving their order earlier than expected, and there was an issue with shipping).

IMG_9812 copy 2.jpg

Both pairs of earrings look great and appear to be just what I requested. I've been wearing the bezel set pair all the time (in my main piercings). The other pair, little 3mm martini studs which I was most excited for, I specifically ordered to wear in my second piercings. I wanted them to wear next to my larger martini studs that hold my grandmother's diamonds. Unfortunately, they have posts that are too thick for my second piercings - an issue I never would have thought to consider. The posts on both pairs from Ouros are the same thickness, and no problem in my main ear piercings (but I won't wear the little 3mm martini studs in my main piercings).

So I immediately let Vijay know my situation. I explained how my larger diamond martini studs with thinner posts (.75mm thick posts / stock settings) don't bother my second piercings at all - but these, at just under 1mm thick, are completely unwearable for me. I asked him if they could be remade with thinner posts, and I also said I'd prefer warmer stones if he had any / if that was a possibility (so they'd match better with my grandmother's warmer diamonds that I'd be wearing next to them).

Vijay got back to me a couple days later after discussing with his production team.

The response was "no, the earrings can't be made with thinner posts as the diamonds will fall. I hope you understand."

Uh - no, I don't understand that. I'm quite sure that's completely false - right?

I was surprised by the response, but I replied politely and repeated how the earrings are unwearable for me, and sent photos showing my calipers measuring the posts of both my grandmother's studs and his, and I repeated how the stock martini studs with thinner posts hold larger diamonds and I have had no issues with the security of the stones. He thanked me for clarifying (although it was the same information as my previous message) and said he would go back to his team with my clarifications and photos and get back to me shortly.

8 days later, with no response from Vijay yet, I reached out again, now asking if I could just return the earrings if they don't have a solution. He thanked me for following up and said his production worker said he would have to remake the posts as they are handmade and he will try it today and then I could take to my local jeweler to fix and he would get back to me with an exact and accurate solution tomorrow. It's been 3 days now, and I haven't heard back from him, again. I really don't like the sound of this as a solution, because of the inconvenience of going to a local jeweler and paying them to change out the posts... and also it appears that the earrings were made (cast?) as all one piece, not with separate posts, so that concerns me a bit. I did consider the possibility of going to a jeweler and having them swap out the posts, but ruled it out since the settings appear to be one piece, not like my stock settings.

(photo showing the Ouros custom setting vs my stock setting on the right - the custom Ouros setting looks like all one piece)
IMG_9654 copy.jpg

So that's about it. I suppose most people are unlikely to have a comparable problem and should be safe to order without issues. I'm not sure I'll ever try again with Ouros after this experience. Vijay was kind and courteous in all of his messages, but it seems he may not be authorized to offer a solution without consulting his team ? and I really don't care for the lack of trying to make the earrings work for me, or the lack of responding at all on multiple occasions. I'm tired of having to chase after this issue, and the lack of response makes me feel like they would be happy for me to just go away.

Another potential solution I have read about is I could go to a piercing place and get some sort of tapered cone things to stretch my piercings, so that these will eventually fit comfortably. But as I would like warmer stones as well, I'd rather just get a new pair of earrings. Plus, I'd rather not have to go through the hassle and time of stretching my piercings, when I know there are thinner earring posts in existence that do not bother my second piercings. I've listed the Ouros studs in the hopes that someone else would like them, rather than trying to get Ouros to agree to a return and then deal with shipping back to India, or the potential post remake / fix at a local jeweler. I've found the exact earrings I'm looking for elsewhere (warmer diamonds, thinner posts) and I've been waiting to find out what will happen with Ouros before purchasing. I'll also add that I was not expecting my request for the changes to be done for no extra cost, since this was a custom order (he didn't have 3-prong martini settings in his shop listings) and since I was wanting a change in the color grade of the stones. Though I would think he would have no problem selling the earrings in his shop if I sent them back and there would be no loss on his end.

If anyone has any other ideas I haven't considered, please feel free to send them my way! Thanks for letting me share and vent.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry that you’re going through this OP and I don’t have a solution for you. But I’ll share (despite others might attack me about it) my experience with Ouros that creeped me out so I never went through with the purchase.

A few months back, Ouros listed this salt and pepper pear rose cut. I think it’s still there. I was considering a project with rose cut diamond and emerald moi et toi. So needless to say, this 2.7 rose cut diamond got my interest at a very reasonable price. So I went back and forth with Vijay about it asking for additional photo and video. Just right when I was about to make a purchase, he upped the price additional $200 and suddenly there were “13 people had it in their cart”. That made me rethink this vendor. When I asked him about this sudden price increase, he said that he was making a “custom” design for one of his client. Is he telling the truth? Who knows. The diamond is still there and I didn’t go through with the purchase. So I ended up not really using him as a vendor. That’s my experience. :-/

OP, I hope Ouros help you fix this issue soon.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry about your experience. I have not dealt with them but I see how much thicker the posts are for the smaller diamonds. And how about that “lump”? That would probably be more uncomfortable than the wider post width because its even thicker at that point of the lump than the post. Kwim?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My own experiences with Vijay via his Golden Bird and Ouros were not always satisfactory without issues.

So far I have purchased 4 pairs of lab/MMD stud earrings from Ouros, and the posts are all different in length as well as gauge/thickness.

I have not measured them using my Vernier caliper to determine the extent of the variations, however, I could feel some are thicker than the others.

The variation in length is quite substantial. I would avoid wearing the pair with the longest posts if I were to wear a hair, as they would dig into my skin.

The pair with the longest posts also came with the biggest push backs (I requested for push backs for all my earrings as I do not like screw backs), which adds to the discomfort when I wear a hat.

I don't have a solution for you except to continue to pursue the matter, to return the earrings and request for a refund.

It should be noted that, IMHO, the colour of the stones and the thick posts are two separate issues.

If you had requested for whiter stones at the onset, and subsequently changed your mind and prefer to have lower coloured stones, then personally I believe some sort of charge should be incurred as labour cost on his side.

Replacing a post in the earring may seem like an easy job to do, however, the stone would need to be taken out first, for the old post to be removed, and new one soldered on. The reworked settings would need to be re-dipped.

Last year, I queried about the higher than expected quote for a small and simple custom job that does not involved much gold with the usual bench I use in China, to be informed by my ever so helpful usual contact why it cost that much - most of it was labour cost!

Twice I tried to engage Vijay in custom work - a solitaire bezel set ring, and drops to be worn with an existing pair of earrings, and gave up feeling exasperated after many message exchanges and the CADs still not to my satisfaction, despite what I believe to have provided him with very exacting details of what I was after.

I would only buy listed items from his shops nowadays if I find items that I like as his prices are very favourable. However, I shall not engage him in custom work again.

Good luck with having a satisfactory resolution with Ouros.

DK :))

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I have used Ouros for my semi mount and also purchased a loose diamond from him. The semi mount took a long time for delivery.. Think almost 5 to 6 weeks to ship after payment (doesn't include shipping duration). For the loose diamond.. Around 2 weeks to ship after payment.

He seems to be very busy as his number of customers have increased substantially from last year. Although I have enquired him a few times regarding some custom made orders.. However long shipping time held me back.

I am glad that you shared about the earrings posts since I have considered getting a pair too. Is it possible for this issue to be rectified locally?

Nonetheless, after a few not so OK encounters with workmanship from various vendors, I have turned to using the China bench and buying the loose stones separately. I realised that the issues with either vendor can be resolved more easily too. This approach has worked for me so far.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Could a local bench "polish" away the thicker post metal, down to the size of your other earrings? I know that does not solve your wanting warmer stones, but the hassle of overseas returns for this would make me hesitate to do that.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry for what you’re going through and I’ll chime in, too.
The last setting I had made by Ouros will likely be the last time I do business with them, at least in terms of the custom route.
Suffice it to say the stone wouldn’t fit into the setting despite me sending accurate measurements and a copy of the grading certificate. The tabs would need to be bent outward to accommodate the stone, thus changing the shape and aesthetic of the piece. The tabs weren’t the right the shape or angle when compared to the multiple photos I sent him. The setting was to be a clone of the Mason 4 Frank Darling setting, so there were quality reference photos provided to him. The other major problem was that the shank was not like what I asked for, I asked for low dome comfort fit and even send a cross-section diagram of that shank type. What I received was the typical, almost rectangular shaped shank that can be seen on many of his finished pieces.
Return wasn’t an option. The silver lining was that I didn’t pay much. Oddly enough this was the simplest setting of the 3 they’ve made for me. But it just looked cheap, wonky and of course I can’t and wouldn’t mount anything I have in it.

mgmsrk

Rough_Rock
I thought along the lines of luvmysparklies and wondered if a local jeweler could just grind down the posts.

When you ordered the diamonds did they list as a warmer color then they did not mount the correct stones?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, I've never even considered the thickness (or length) of earring posts before.

It sounds like you have a good solution, putting them up for sale and then starting over to find a pair that is what you can use and like better. That sounds better to me than shipping them all the way back to India or etc.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
It's so weird that there are so many issues. I have a pair of 1CTW M colored OEC studs coming in a few days so I hope I don't have issues. My order was semi-custom as I requested M colored OEC diamonds, 6-claw prongs, and regular posts (original listing was for colorless diamonds in 4 prongs and screw backs. It was quick with me, like he sent me CAD's a few days (which I had him take note with what I wanted edited and then approved it), like 5 or so days he sent me a video of the diamonds indoors, I asked for outdoor video that he sent next day (I approved), then took like a week to make/set diamonds and send video of completed earrings. They were just shipped and overall took 3 weeks from start to finish.
By the way warmer diamonds are cheaper, it was like $250 less than the colorless studs.
I was going to get studs for 2nd piercing too but now I'm worried they'll be too thick as the holes aren't stretched, I guess I could measure my current stud posts and request the same ones.
Hopefully, it will get resolved!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to note is that posts are normally rolled from solid metal. Reputable outfits that make jewellery that’s meant to last will never cast posts, as posts are inherently precariously shaped and they take a ton of abuse - they need to be as strong as possible. So if those posts are cast, as you’re thinking, then he’s right about not wanting to make them any thinner as they’d be snapping/warping risks. His stock posts won’t be cast - he’ll be buying premade parts from a supplier. This is what almost all vendors do.

That said, if you’d rather take the risk of a snapped or warped post in order to be able to actually wear them, then if you have a dremel you can take the posts down a touch yourself. I’ve done this on my own studs, just use rouge on felt and it’s a zero-worries process! It takes a long time to polish gold posts thinner this way, several minutes at high RPM, you aren’t going to “accidentally go too far”. Or your local jeweller could do it, of course.

If those earrings are made of silver - you really don’t want the posts any thinner. In this case you definitely want to sell as-is and buy anew.

Last edited:

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
@Nikki1415

Would you create a post and let us know how those turned out? I was thinking of something similar.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beat of luck with your situation, OP. I hope that it can get resolved. I had a terrible experience with Golden Bird Jewels and was out several hundred dollars as a result. I was thinking of giving Vijay second chance and ordering a lab diamond ring through Ouros but this thread made me reconsider. I do hope you find a resolution that works for you.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
OP thank you for sharing. This is very helpful. While I haven’t purchased from him; I’ve inquired a few times and I’ve gotten a very negative vibe each time. I inquired about cutting a stone similar to one he had listed but warmer(H/I instead of F) and half a ct smaller. The quote he gave me was dramatically higher than the larger and much whiter stone he had listed. I also inquired about having a mixed shape band made. I ended up finding a natural diamond band of the same caliber for less than the quote. When I told him the price was much higher than I expected for lab he got pretty snooty. I will note that our conversation was over email and I’m sure there is a language barrier so perhaps the snooty tone was misconstrued on my end. Seems like his customer service skills are lacking

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had asked him about seeing a stone in outdoor lighting. He said he could do a video but would want a deposit of $400. Then I asked if the deposit would be refundable if I ended up not purchasing and was told it wasn’t refundable.

That was my first and last communication with him.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had asked him about seeing a stone in outdoor lighting. He said he could do a video but would want a deposit of $400. Then I asked if the deposit would be refundable if I ended up not purchasing and was told it wasn’t refundable.

That was my first and last communication with him.

Now there’s a lucrative business model if one can pull it off!!

shelikessparkles

Rough_Rock
Reading about multiple issues is making me nervous since I placed my first order with ouros this week. I ordered a custom semi mount with custom cut side stones for a stone I already have. I hope everything will work out for me. So far the communication has been very clear and excellent. I got the first cad and asked for 2 changes. I’m hoping I will get a revised cad to approve before he produces the setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have never dealt with this vendor.
holes stretch so wear them and eventually they’d fit- I suspect.
you asked him to fix them he said he can’t. At that point should have been a “ask for refund or deal with them “ situation. I do feel for the vendor slightly when he’s expected to find a solution to a problem he didn’t cause.
His lack in response time and the other experiences in this thread notwithstanding.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never had any issues with communications or shipping, except perhaps too much communications that got a bit tedious/overbearing at times.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry about your experience. I have not dealt with them but I see how much thicker the posts are for the smaller diamonds. And how about that “lump”? That would probably be more uncomfortable than the wider post width because its even thicker at that point of the lump than the post. Kwim?

Thank you. Good eye - I mentioned those lumps in the posts as well and sent him this cropped photo. I wasn't sure if that was contributing to the discomfort or just the thickness overall. The posts on the other pair from Ouros look fine..
posts.jpg

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Could a local bench "polish" away the thicker post metal, down to the size of your other earrings? I know that does not solve your wanting warmer stones, but the hassle of overseas returns for this would make me hesitate to do that.

I thought along the lines of luvmysparklies and wondered if a local jeweler could just grind down the posts.

When you ordered the diamonds did they list as a warmer color then they did not mount the correct stones?

One thing to note is that posts are normally rolled from solid metal. Reputable outfits that make jewellery that’s meant to last will never cast posts, as posts are inherently precariously shaped and they take a ton of abuse - they need to be as strong as possible. So if those posts are cast, as you’re thinking, then he’s right about not wanting to make them any thinner as they’d be snapping/warping risks. His stock posts won’t be cast - he’ll be buying premade parts from a supplier. This is what almost all vendors do.

That said, if you’d rather take the risk of a snapped or warped post in order to be able to actually wear them, then if you have a dremel you can take the posts down a touch yourself. I’ve done this on my own studs, just use rouge on felt and it’s a zero-worries process! It takes a long time to polish gold posts thinner this way, several minutes at high RPM, you aren’t going to “accidentally go too far”. Or your local jeweller could do it, of course.

If those earrings are made of silver - you really don’t want the posts any thinner. In this case you definitely want to sell as-is and buy anew.

Yes, grinding the posts down is my favorite option for a solution, thank you all! I actually had considered this idea while lying awake one night and then completely forgot about it! I love this idea. @yssie lots of great info, and good to know you've done yourself.. thank you much - they are 14k and I might try myself but I have inquired via email with a local jeweler

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
My own experiences with Vijay via his Golden Bird and Ouros were not always satisfactory without issues.

So far I have purchased 4 pairs of lab/MMD stud earrings from Ouros, and the posts are all different in length as well as gauge/thickness.

I have not measured them using my Vernier caliper to determine the extent of the variations, however, I could feel some are thicker than the others.

The variation in length is quite substantial. I would avoid wearing the pair with the longest posts if I were to wear a hair, as they would dig into my skin.

The pair with the longest posts also came with the biggest push backs (I requested for push backs for all my earrings as I do not like screw backs), which adds to the discomfort when I wear a hat.

I don't have a solution for you except to continue to pursue the matter, to return the earrings and request for a refund.

It should be noted that, IMHO, the colour of the stones and the thick posts are two separate issues.

If you had requested for whiter stones at the onset, and subsequently changed your mind and prefer to have lower coloured stones, then personally I believe some sort of charge should be incurred as labour cost on his side.

Replacing a post in the earring may seem like an easy job to do, however, the stone would need to be taken out first, for the old post to be removed, and new one soldered on. The reworked settings would need to be re-dipped.

Last year, I queried about the higher than expected quote for a small and simple custom job that does not involved much gold with the usual bench I use in China, to be informed by my ever so helpful usual contact why it cost that much - most of it was labour cost!

Twice I tried to engage Vijay in custom work - a solitaire bezel set ring, and drops to be worn with an existing pair of earrings, and gave up feeling exasperated after many message exchanges and the CADs still not to my satisfaction, despite what I believe to have provided him with very exacting details of what I was after.

I would only buy listed items from his shops nowadays if I find items that I like as his prices are very favourable. However, I shall not engage him in custom work again.

Good luck with having a satisfactory resolution with Ouros.

That is just so strange to me that they aren't consistent with their earring posts. I probably wouldn't notice if both pairs I ordered were for my main piercings, since they're over-stretched (accidentally, thanks 1980's/90's huge earrings)

Yes, I changed my mind about the color after seeing them next to my warmer earrings and would have been happy to pay something extra to have him remake new ones with my changes.

I didn't consider all of that extra effort reworking the settings, thanks for including that.

Yes his prices are nice.. I figured what could go wrong with simple martini setting, I sent a photo of one and he'll send a cad/video before they ship...

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh, I've never even considered the thickness (or length) of earring posts before.

It sounds like you have a good solution, putting them up for sale and then starting over to find a pair that is what you can use and like better. That sounds better to me than shipping them all the way back to India or etc.

It never crossed my mind! I wouldn't have noticed if they were for my main piercings as they are overly stretched out

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@e2the3rd I would suggest to include a reason why you are selling the earrings, in that the posts are too thick for your second piercing, so as to avoid any potential issues with the buyer after sale.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, all. I'll continue responding as I can.

I certainly didn't expect to see so many of you have run into other issues with Ouros! There are so many positive reviews on Etsy especially, that I ignored the few negative ones. I wouldn't characterize my experience as totally negative, since it's partly my problem having tiny second piercings, and I wouldn't have had an issue with my main piercings - but I did hope they would have been more willing to try to help come up with a solution at the start so that I could actually use and enjoy what I purchased.

I heard back from Vijay yesterday, he was offering to send me a set of stock posts for me to take to a jeweler locally and have them swapped out. I did not want to go this route but I inquired with my local jeweler anyway (local but isn't very nearby/convenient), and the cost was more than I'd care to pay. I told Vijay this and said I'd rather just return the earrings to him. He replied ok, send them back and he will replace the posts on both pairs I ordered. I'm good with that solution (though I'd prefer a refund).

But now that @luvmysparklies , @mgmsrk , and @yssie have suggested the post grinding possibility, I'm going to pursue that route first.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results