shape
carat
color
clarity

Unpleasant experience at Tiffany

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
I would say that the dark ceilings are playing a large part in this effect. Since most ceilings are white or another light color, they reflect a lot of light back down--a black ceiling absorbs that light so that very little is reaching your stone unless you get it exactly under their strategically placed lights.

I find it interesting that stores are using LED''s in showcases. Yes, there is the energy efficiency and lower heat than halogen, but I wonder how much research they have put into "tuning" the color temp of the LED''s for best effect. I''m guessing quite a bit.

zeiss, please post your experience when you go back. I''m looking forward to what you find out.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 10:26:02 PM
Author: jet2ks
I would say that the dark ceilings are playing a large part in this effect. Since most ceilings are white or another light color, they reflect a lot of light back down--a black ceiling absorbs that light so that very little is reaching your stone unless you get it exactly under their strategically placed lights.
I''ll bet this is the heart of the matter right there.

Also if AGS said your diamond has negligible fluorescence I''d suspect they''re absolutely right. Negligible fluor is barely, barely noticeable under blacklight. (I have a stone with that level of fluoro, and you really can just see a tinge of blue under a blacklight.) If the appraiser said it had strong fluorescence without blacklighting it, I wouldn''t believe his opinion at all- you simply can''t tell without one. Also there''s a huge range of difference between strong and negligible; I''d believe the AGS cert over an appraiser who didn''t actually blacklight it.

Even if it had strong fluorescence, it wouldn''t make any difference in how it looks under jewelry store lighting anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results