shape
carat
color
clarity

unplated vs plated WG and diamond color

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
How do you think plated vs unplated WG interacts with the perception of a diamond's color?
Does the whiteness of plated WG make a "warm" diamond look warmer in contrast?
Does the warmth of unplated WG make a colorless (DEF) diamond look more colorless?
My stone is a G (GIA graded), very very beautiful (I think), and quite white to my eyes in person, but I can see a little warmth in pictures (not unpleasant to me). I am leaning towards unplated WG (platinum isn't in the budget right now, plus I'd be concerned about its scratching, and I don't cerebrally like the idea of "covering up" the gold itself with rhodium. Also, I do like the luster and creamy warmth of the unplated 14k WG), and wondering how that warmth with interact with my stone's color... Thoughts?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd personally want white metal with a G color stone. A G is pretty white. I think Yssie has J color stones in unplated wg, and I think the colors are very complimentary. But you can really use whatever metal color you want with a G diamond because it is near colorless.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done a couple of things in unplated 18k and 14k now... I do think the colour of the metal has a big effect, but not on the colour of the stone, exactly, like DS said. More in the overall "look" of the piece. The creamier colour of nickel-alloy wg lends a 'warmer feel' to the piece, I guess is the best way of putting it... if someone focuses on the stone, it would look just the same as always, but if he just kinda casually eyeballs the piece the overall effect is one of slight warmth rather than stark iciness. If that makes sense?

I do think if you want to play up the *white* and you want an icy piece a white, icy metal is a better choice. Or a rich yellow gold that'll highlight the colour difference. You could talk to your vendor about some of the whiter wg alloys that don't need plating - palladium alloy instead of nickel maybe?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results