shape
carat
color
clarity

Unoiled, untreated, fully natural Colombian Emerald

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hi there, what do you think of this Colombian Emerald? It is fully natural and untreated. It has a eye visible inclusion, do you think its a good specimen? thanx

col emerald.jpg

cole.jpg

colem.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most important question is this: how accurate are the pictures? I find that the higher the quality, the more difficult it is to capture the colour. The following pictures show a light toned, medium saturated emerald. The cut's not the greatest with that window but with the right setting, shouldn't be an issue. What bothers me more are the 2 dark spots that stand out in the upper right. It detracts from the overall look and shouts, "look at me" when I should be focused on the colour of the emerald. The 3rd dark spot might be hidden by a well placed prong. Due to the above reasons, the pricing should be easier to swallow.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Not my cuppa tea. Why?

The color is really light in tone.

AND

It has clarity issues, and it has a window.

Emeralds that are light in tone can be beautiful, but I expect greater clarity from them. Reason 1) because of the light tone, the inclusions become quite visible and reason 2) because clear, lighter toned emeralds are fairly 'easy' to come by, hence the expectation. Mastercutgems has a couple nice emeralds for decent prices as well, you might want to check them out if you're on the hunt for an emerald.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono and Indylady, I find the black inclusion a bother too..I like the neon green though. It is around 0.70 carats.

What are the things I should look out for when purchasing a Untreated colombian emerald? I think that the only emerald left in mastetcutgems is a Brazil emerald of a much darker green. thanx

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Precisiongem has two colombian emeralds that I think are untreated

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hi VL- I browsed through Gene's site before, the emerald are from Brazil, they are not really the neon type and it might have been oiled/treated. thanx

actually it does not have to be a Colombian emerald, but it has to have this neon blue to it, like an inviting pool (I need it in my hot, tropical country!) I would want a completely untreated/heated stone. Like the paraiba and aquamarine. Please let m know if you've came across one in a good cut, better still, precision cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono tks for the link, they are not really the untreated type ..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand that what's listed are treated but they possibly have more unlisted, with some likely being untreated.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stopped in to look because I had heard that all emeralds were oiled at the mines in Colombia. But I see that you know who the vendor is and trust him, so I will assume he knows better than I do about this stone!

When I was adopting my daughter as an infant in Colombia (she will turn 19 this summer) I had a chance to buy some emeralds. They are all smaller than the one pictured and more or less this color (i.e. not a deep-and costly-green), but inclusion-free. We (the adopting parents who went emerald shopping together) used a microscope to look for inclusions!

It was great fun. The vendor spilled a lot of emeralds out of a bag all over the glass counter!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono tks will look up the site again!

Hi Deb/AGBF!

tks for sharing! Yes, I heard the same things from the seller too, entire bag of emerald, dome good some not so and how mush time she has taken sieve them through. Just want to say, adoption is not as common in my country, comparing to the west. I find it admirable and noble
:appl:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Some of the standard treatments on that site are: oil, wax, polymer :-o . Have you tried Embassy Emeralds? You can possibly find an unoiled emerald, but--oil is actually a 'removable' sort of treatment, so if something is lightly oiled, you could possibly consider boiling it/soaking it in water to take out the oil. Oil is however a highly 'acceptable' sort of treatment--you might say even more 'acceptable' than heating a sapphire. Most, well, nearly all (as AGBF has said about Columbian emeralds), are oiled and this practice is very old as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no personal experience with any Colombian emerald vendors other than Josh from Serenity Diamonds. His customer service is excellent and has an unimaginable loot of unlisted emeralds, from untreated to medium treatment.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono and Indylady tthanx for the suggestions. wow the embassyemerald seems to have a god inventory..its 1.30am in the morning now, I shall zzz...pls keep the suggestions coming (if any!)

I am also looking into light blue sapphire,2 here, let me know your thoughts!tks

1,6.jpg

1.84.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being top top Muzo Colombian and 1 being an opaque dyed stone, I would say that stone is a 4 in color, saturation and clarity. That's not to say it's bad, it may be a good stone for the price. However, getting the true beauty of an emerald in a static photo is extremely difficult, and it might look much better in person.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agnesg|1307549507|2940776 said:
Just want to say, adoption is not as common in my country....

I am curious. Where are you from, Agnesg?

Deb/AGBF

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
Hi agbf! I shutter between Malaysia and Singapore:)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stonerocks|1307573213|2941074 said:
Hi agbf! I shutter between Malaysia and Singapore:)

Hi, back at you, Stonerocks. But I am a little confused. Are you also Agnesg? I noticed that you joined very recently, just a few days ago. I am not sure if you are supposed to have two accounts, although a husband and wife sometimes do. I am definitely not trying to make trouble. On the contrary, you are very open and I would like to keep talking to you! Maybe you could check with the moderators if you are also agnesg!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
Hello AGBF, sorry for the incomplete message. I am stonerocks and not agnsg. I wanted to come in to say that I shutter between Singapore and Malaysia currently, and we are in the midst to complete a adoption application as well. I am residing in Hongkong, and we are settle in Singapore. The boy we are adopting is from Malaysia. I wish that we can be great parents like you:)

One additional thing, AGBF you are the very first person that I link me to pricescope, I search through some keywords and your post pops up and I am here. I wanted to create a ring for my gf (she will call me her 'partner' that's the way we call each other) thats my purpose here. But I think we simply could not make up our mind on which to set, so I will not continue the ring project for now (to update). thanks

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stonerocks|1307587128|2941285 said:
Hello AGBF, sorry for the incomplete message. I am stonerocks and not agnsg. I wanted to come in to say that I shutter between Singapore and Malaysia currently, and we are in the midst to complete a adoption application as well. I am residing in Hongkong, and we are settle in Singapore. The boy we are adopting is from Malaysia. I wish that we can be great parents like you:)

One additional thing, AGBF you are the very first person that I link me to pricescope, I search through some keywords and your post pops up and I am here. I wanted to create a ring for my gf (she will call me her 'partner' that's the way we call each other) thats my purpose here. But I think we simply could not make up our mind on which to set, so I will not continue the ring project for now (to update). thanks

Thank you for the clarification, Stonerocks! Welcome to Pricescope. You are welcome to contribute to any forum that you wish, but I wanted you to be aware that that we happen to have a thread about adoption that is active now. I have not been as active in it recently as I once was, but there are many truly wonderful Pricescope members who post there regularly. Like you, several are in the process of adopting right now. Others who read the thread have adopted children in the past. You might want to look in at this thread. I will take a look and see if you have visited! I surely hope that you do!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/adoption-thread.151339/page-10']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/adoption-thread.151339/page-10[/URL]

I apologize for the threadjack of this thread!!!

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Agnesg|1307543679|2940711 said:
it has to have this neon blue to it, like an inviting pool (I need it in my hot, tropical country!) I would want a completely untreated/heated stone. ...Please let m know if you've came across one in a good cut, better still, precision cut.

Out of curiosity, how much are you prepared to pay per carat for such a stone?

Richard M.

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
Hello Deb, that is one GREAT thread, thanks once again!

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Looks like there's a lot going on.if you remember the 2 stones I've posted before retiring last night. Well well.. the oval was sold today :((

Hi Richard, I am unsure of the price range, if you can advise? I've contacted mastercut last night and had received a reply, I wish that he can find something for me..thanx

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry that the oval is gone because that would have been my choice because the rectangular sapphire looks almost devoid of colour.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Re: The oval sapphire
Welp, another one bites the dust ~ no posting pics around here, just sayin'

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Agnesg|1307611451|2941456 said:
Hi Richard, I am unsure of the price range, if you can advise?
My post was intended to suggest that stones of the kind you're seeking are very expensive, especially in sizes over a carat or two. Emeralds with lab reports showing no treatment of any kind demand per carat premiums from 50% to well over 100% depending on quality and size. Dealers these days just assume emeralds will be treated in some way; nearly all are. The question should be what kind of treatment? Some treatments like Excel are considered stable and permanent while treatments with polymers like Opticon may degrade over time. Emeralds enhanced with oil only can be re-oiled if the need arises. It's a complicated market.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hi Richard thanx for your professional view! Hope that mastercut can find something from his safe:) will keep searching !

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard M.|1307633967|2941671 said:
Agnesg|1307611451|2941456 said:
Hi Richard, I am unsure of the price range, if you can advise?
My post was intended to suggest that stones of the kind you're seeking are very expensive, especially in sizes over a carat or two. Emeralds with lab reports showing no treatment of any kind demand per carat premiums from 50% to well over 100% depending on quality and size. Dealers these days just assume emeralds will be treated in some way; nearly all are. The question should be what kind of treatment? Some treatments like Excel are considered stable and permanent while treatments with polymers like Opticon may degrade over time. Emeralds enhanced with oil only can be re-oiled if the need arises. It's a complicated market.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

Not only is the type of treatment important, but I think more importantly, the amount of treatment (none, faint, minor, moderate, heavy) heavily weighs on value.

Typically most people are willing to accept anything up to and including moderate treatment in emeralds. The price points go up as treatment lessens.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
A little tid-bit of info for emerald folks and TL since she always talks about the glow a fine emerald has

"The presence of Cr and V in the beryl structure causes a red fluorescence that enhances the luminosity of the blue-green color but if Fe+3 is present in the crystal structure, this effect is suppressed(Nassau 1983)"

So fine emeralds truly do glow.. :read:

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
There is no luck so far and I think it might have slipped Dana's mind or he could not find what I wanted in his safe..
I have another jeweler joined in the search hopefully there's some good news. Thanx to all of you for the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results