shape
carat
color
clarity

Uniform Below Table Leakage or Strong Backlighting in Idealscope Image?

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
As I learn more about best practices for interpreting Idealscope images, my searches through various threads in this forum have led me to this question.

In the IS images below, specifically the arrows image, it looks as if there may be some light leakage under the table. However, the leakage appears to be uniform across the perimeter under the table. This leads me to believe this may be a result from strong backlighting during the capture of the Idealscope image.

Thoughts on leakage vs. strong backlighting? The leaky IS images I have seen across the forum threads typically show one to a few areas of distinct leakage, and were easier to identify as leakage. I also assume that as a novice, what appears to be uniform leakage may actually not be as uniform as I perceive it to be -so I turn to the experts like @Karl_K @Garry H (Cut Nut) @flyingpig and others here to weigh in. Thanks as always.

p.s. Yes, besides seeking more knowledge, I am considering the purchase of this stone.

1707921273457.jpeg 1707921429847.jpeg 1707921567369.png 1707921687886.jpeg

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl taught me to always use the very middle circle of the stone as a "guide". Leakage is relative to the color of the center. Lighter than the center can indicate leakage.

In this case I see leakage around 9-11 o clock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As seen in this backlight only image the reference point for what is leakage is the lightest area in the center outside the culet.
This works for backlight, IS and ASET images.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Karl taught me to always use the very middle circle of the stone as a "guide". Leakage is relative to the color of the center. Lighter than the center can indicate leakage.

In this case I see leakage around 9-11 o clock

Thanks @lovedogs So if I use the @Karl_K approach to interpret the center, outside the culet, and establish a reference color of the lightest color in that area, and compare that reference color to the rest of the image for leakage, I come up with these areas below - are these areas of leakage? Other posts like here and compelling comments from @Kim N may attribute the lighter color to a strong backlight - but I am not yet able to tell the difference.

1707933149996.png

If so, to what degree would we estimate this leakage? A show stopper? Or negligible?

Looking at this thread from last year, @Garry H (Cut Nut) noted on a similar JA TH stone with its IS arrows image below.....

Reference Arrows.jpeg

He commented on the image above that this stone was just starting to show some partial leakage, but less than 2 or 3% of the overall light return lost, and noted that if the price is right he saw no problem. If my stone is within this same estimate of 2-3% light return loss, I may be ok with it based on cost. Others have noted in various threads that 3-4% loss is nominal. A comparable carat/color/clarity WF ACA stone, although a much more precise cut, I estimate to be an increase of ~$40-50k which busts the budget.

Everything is a tradeoff. I appreciate the inputs here to help inform this decision.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @lovedogs So if I use the @Karl_K approach to interpret the center, outside the culet, and establish a reference color of the lightest color in that area, and compare that reference color to the rest of the image for leakage, I come up with these areas below - are these areas of leakage? Other posts like here and compelling comments from @Kim N may attribute the lighter color to a strong backlight - but I am not yet able to tell the difference.

1707933149996.png

If so, to what degree would we estimate this leakage? A show stopper? Or negligible?

Looking at this thread from last year, @Garry H (Cut Nut) noted on a similar JA TH stone with its IS arrows image below.....

Reference Arrows.jpeg

He commented on the image above that this stone was just starting to show some partial leakage, but less than 2 or 3% of the overall light return lost, and noted that if the price is right he saw no problem. If my stone is within this same estimate of 2-3% light return loss, I may be ok with it based on cost. Others have noted in various threads that 3-4% loss is nominal. A comparable carat/color/clarity WF ACA stone, although a much more precise cut, I estimate to be an increase of ~$40-50k which busts the budget.

Everything is a tradeoff. I appreciate the inputs here to help inform this decision.

Just have a min. before a meeting.
I would say it passes the IS test, not the very very best but way way above the worst.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
An increase of 40-50k? What size diamond are we talking? That seems way out of line!

Hi @MissGotRocks we are comparing the cost delta of the current 3.8 carat H color VVS1 True Hearts to an ACA G color VVS1. There is room to come down in clarity, but trying to estimate the cost of going from H to G with all other variables constant. I won't truly know until the stone arrives, but until then, based on what we currently have to observe, would we want to invest more for a better cut H, or significantly more for a better cut G, knowing that "better" in this case may be a small improvement in perceived real life light performance. Consensus here is that the current 3.8 is a well cut stone - so what is the marginal utility of investing in ACA H or G given the cost? Fascinating discussion around cut and light performance - really appreciate the inputs here.

Last edited:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

Gotmissrocks-- Remember the $140,000 stone that was discussed by another poster. I fell off my chair. Save this fellow from that fate.

Annette

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

Gotmissrocks-- Remember the $140,000 stone that was discussed by another poster. I fell off my chair. Save this fellow from that fate.

Annette

That was a custom cut stone if I am thinking of the same one. I don't think he is looking for a diamond quite that large. I question his 40-50K more and if we are talking apples to apples.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Hi @MissGotRocks - great point - we are not talking apples to apples here. Current stone is an 3.8 H color that is well cut but not to ACA standard cut. The decision calculus is around the marginal utility of a more precise cut and a one step improvement in color - those improvements would increase current cost ~$40-50k.
If the H color proves to be a non-issue regarding color sensitivity, then there is no need for alternates. However, if this particular stone shows a bit too much color/tint, then we look at a replacement. If that is the case, to go to a G, what would be the cost if all other variables remain constant. I am fairly certain the H will be as bright as can be but am forever the contingency planner.

Last edited:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I guess I just wanted to give the economic rule that is---There is a point of diminishing returns. . I was thinking of the 2% light leakage that Garry had said was fine Color as everyone has said is subjective.,

Gotmiss rocks. Yes, that was the stone I was writing about.

Thanks,

Annette

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @MissGotRocks - great point - we are not talking apples to apples here. Current stone is an 3.8 H color that is well cut but not to ACA standard cut. The decision calculus is around the marginal utility of a more precise cut and a one step improvement in color - those improvements would increase current cost ~$40-50k.
If I the H color proves to be a non-issue, then there is no need for alternates. However, if this particular stone shows a bit too much color/tint, then we look at a replacement. If that is the case, to go to a G, what would be the cost if all other variables remain constant. I am fairly certain the H will be as bright as can be but am forever the contingency planner.
Well, not 3.8 but here you see the price difference between 3 carat stones - one H, VS2, and the other G, VS1. Pretty big price difference within these two super ideal cut diamonds. Best of luck in your quest!

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Well, not 3.8 but here you see the price difference between 3 carat stones - one H, VS2, and the other G, VS1. Pretty big price difference within these two super ideal cut diamonds. Best of luck in your quest!

Thanks so much for your inputs @MissGotRocks I really appreciate your thoughts on this. This has been a learning quest for sure. These forum discussions have been most informative, and I now move forward knowing, as @Karl_K noted, there may be marginally better cut stones out there, but perhaps not measurably better enough to justify additional investment for me. To your point with the WF ACA examples, jumping color grades at the 3+ carat size involves significant additional cost - $15.8k, which only get exponentially more expensive as you approach 4+ carats. I would love to be able to conduct a controlled experiment with various SIC, near-H&A, and 'average cut' 3 carat stones with the non-Pricescope-informed public to get their perceptions of light performance under various conditions, similar to the GIA study on fluorescence.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for your inputs @MissGotRocks I really appreciate your thoughts on this. This has been a learning quest for sure. These forum discussions have been most informative, and I now move forward knowing, as @Karl_K noted, there may be marginally better cut stones out there, but perhaps not measurably better enough to justify additional investment for me. To your point with the WF ACA examples, jumping color grades at the 3+ carat size involves significant additional cost - $15.8k, which only get exponentially more expensive as you approach 4+ carats. I would love to be able to conduct a controlled experiment with various SIC, near-H&A, and 'average cut' 3 carat stones with the non-Pricescope-informed public to get their perceptions of light performance under various conditions, similar to the GIA study on fluorescence.

The non-PSer’s might find them all to be beautiful. PSer’s might find them all beautiful too in their own right. However, the more knowledge and visual experience you have, the more discerning you become. Sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse! Budget does play a big role. Some would choose a smaller SIC while others might choose a larger diamond with a bit less precision. We are all different in our choices and that is what makes the world go round!
I hope your choice works out for you and that she loves it! Please come back with pics for us!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Old_Fossil, I don't recall anyone taking this tack before, member since 2019.
Academic discussions for me, I'm in the "pretty darn good is good enough, and would I even see the difference?" camp. Big section of the bell curve, I guess. But this has been so interesting and worth consideration.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Ibrakeforpossums, as I am generally in your camp as well. I have found a stone that I think is in the "good enough for me" category, yet I believe it prudent to run the options by the experts here for their input prior to committing to a significant expense. Not surprisingly, these interactions are quite similar to those on other forums. Want to buy a 70' Hatteras yacht with Detroit Diesels for $400k? Those experts will come out of the woodwork to help you. Over 50 triathlete? Experts galore to help you with your $25k carbon bike purchase and setup. I love when experts are willing to share.

As a newbie who comes in and reads 1,000+ threads covering a span of 20+ years here, I really enjoy the discussion of the fine details and the debate of describing the requirements for the ultimate super ideal cut stone - the Unobtanium. The proportions must not only fall within a very narrow window of percentages and degrees, there are further constraints on the relationships of those proportions. Then there are the IS/ASET images that must be compared to exemplar model images. Finally the in-person light performance must also be outstanding to confirm the other data/observations. Once one has met these and possibly other requirements does one reach the mountaintop. Yet in so many other threads, it is so great to see the celebrations of those that have found their ideal stone - perhaps falling short of the ideal model, usually due to cost constraints, and are genuinely celebrated nontheless with what appears to me to be beautiful diamonds all around. As my mother always said - De gustibus non est disputandum

There are vendors here whose work is well established to regularly meet the above standards as a normal business practice (WF ACA & BG H&A/Black the most cited examples here) with their associated costs. So interesting to me is the common theme over the years where a poster came in here with "please evaluate my stone" and a member came back with "take a look at this WF or BG stone as an option". I never heard of either until a two months ago, and now I am talking with WF. When you know, you know. Other vendors have wider variances to their "SIC" stones where some are and some aren't (e.g. JA TH, BN Astor and others), which can be a good thing in terms of cost if you know what you are looking for - which is the catch.

My experience here has been very positive and I appreciate those who have weighed in with their expertise and opinions on how best to give my better half the rings she so richly deserves.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
The non-PSer’s might find them all to be beautiful. PSer’s might find them all beautiful too in their own right. However, the more knowledge and visual experience you have, the more discerning you become. Sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse! Budget does play a big role. Some would choose a smaller SIC while others might choose a larger diamond with a bit less precision. We are all different in our choices and that is what makes the world go round!
I hope your choice works out for you and that she loves it! Please come back with pics for us!

Thank you @MissGotRocks you are so right - with your level of knowledge 99% of the worlds diamonds may be unsuitable - a curse indeed! If only I had a $1M to spare I wouldn't have these challenges! I will come back with pics for sure, as I have noted here that so many requests for pictures after advice was given bear no fruit.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Old_Fossil, would you like to buy a Ferrari? I can direct you to a similar path.
Thanks for your reply and a very entertaining thread.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, @Old_Fossil . I may be missing something here but wanted to address your projection that an ACA would be 40-50k more.

If you are asking for a 3.8 ACA, you are paying for a 4. Period. Unless they have a 3.8 in stock, they have to locate 4 carat rough and cut it down. This is where I ended up in my journey, and I decided if I was paying for 4, that I might as well get 4.

Second, in this size at least, it is WAY more expensive to go up a color grade than a clarity grade. Seriously, I would spend some time at local jewelers and determine your color tolerance. If you need a G, get a G. If you don’t, then take an H and the cash savings.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Old_Fossil, would you like to buy a Ferrari? I can direct you to a similar path.
Thanks for your reply and a very entertaining thread.

Ha, thanks @Ibrakeforpossums , I don't have either a Hatteras or a carbon road bike, and I am good with my 1990 4Runner - but would be interested in perusing the Ferrari version of Pricescope if there was one. Since I am taking the plunge on a significant purchase that's the size of a small coin -this forum has been fantastic in support.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Ibrakeforpossums, as I am generally in your camp as well. I have found a stone that I think is in the "good enough for me" category, yet I believe it prudent to run the options by the experts here for their input prior to committing to a significant expense. Not surprisingly, these interactions are quite similar to those on other forums. Want to buy a 70' Hatteras yacht with Detroit Diesels for $400k? Those experts will come out of the woodwork to help you. Over 50 triathlete? Experts galore to help you with your $25k carbon bike purchase and setup. I love when experts are willing to share.

As a newbie who comes in and reads 1,000+ threads covering a span of 20+ years here, I really enjoy the discussion of the fine details and the debate of describing the requirements for the ultimate super ideal cut stone - the Unobtanium. The proportions must not only fall within a very narrow window of percentages and degrees, there are further constraints on the relationships of those proportions. Then there are the IS/ASET images that must be compared to exemplar model images. Finally the in-person light performance must also be outstanding to confirm the other data/observations. Once one has met these and possibly other requirements does one reach the mountaintop. Yet in so many other threads, it is so great to see the celebrations of those that have found their ideal stone - perhaps falling short of the ideal model, usually due to cost constraints, and are genuinely celebrated nontheless with what appears to me to be beautiful diamonds all around. As my mother always said - De gustibus non est disputandum

There are vendors here whose work is well established to regularly meet the above standards as a normal business practice (WF ACA & BG H&A/Black the most cited examples here) with their associated costs. So interesting to me is the common theme over the years where a poster came in here with "please evaluate my stone" and a member came back with "take a look at this WF or BG stone as an option". I never heard of either until a two months ago, and now I am talking with WF. When you know, you know. Other vendors have wider variances to their "SIC" stones where some are and some aren't (e.g. JA TH, BN Astor and others), which can be a good thing in terms of cost if you know what you are looking for - which is the catch.

My experience here has been very positive and I appreciate those who have weighed in with their expertise and opinions on how best to give my better half the rings she so richly deserves.

I too, am surprised by this shift towards always steering posters to super ideal diamonds. Maybe because to those frequently on the boards the mentality is "you're already spending X amount, what is 10% extra for peace of mind and guaranteed performance or a small loss in ct, which is unobservable in diameter to the naked eye".

In the lab grown portion, non-super ideals are more common, maybe due to the cost increase or maybe a different mindset.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Hey, @Old_Fossil . I may be missing something here but wanted to address your projection that an ACA would be 40-50k more.

If you are asking for a 3.8 ACA, you are paying for a 4. Period. Unless they have a 3.8 in stock, they have to locate 4 carat rough and cut it down. This is where I ended up in my journey, and I decided if I was paying for 4, that I might as well get 4.

Second, in this size at least, it is WAY more expensive to go up a color grade than a clarity grade. Seriously, I would spend some time at local jewelers and determine your color tolerance. If you need a G, get a G. If you don’t, then take an H and the cash savings.

Hi @Tonks I appreciate you inputs, and was commenting to Becca on Vivian's rock star status! What a beautiful stone and a well chronicled journey! I am coming to understand the non linear nature of color grades in larger carat sizes, and am working through the risk assessment of various color grades and carat sizes, which I find fascinating. In our example, two nearly identical stones in cut/clarity/carat could differentiate themselves by tens of thousands of dollars by going up one color grade. Understanding that can help one assess which of the Cs are more important relative to budget. Have to have a G color? 3.8 carat or VVS1 is not an option. In understanding these tradeoffs, I am able to determine what is most important to me. Ideal Cut is a given, and there is flexibility on clarity depending on the stone, so it is down to carat and color. You are right that we have to refresh my memory with color tolerance, so we plan on doing that this weekend. Is H as warm as I recall? Probably not. But I will report back with my findings and hopefully some pictures. Thanks for the great recommendations, and I am looking forward to getting my eyes on some stones.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
I too, am surprised by this shift towards always steering posters to super ideal diamonds. Maybe because to those frequently on the boards the mentality is "you're already spending X amount, what is 10% extra for peace of mind and guaranteed performance or a small loss in ct, which is unobservable in diameter to the naked eye".

In the lab grown portion, non-super ideals are more common, maybe due to the cost increase or maybe a different mindset.

Thanks for that perspective @molecule. I approach some of my perspective here as a reliability-centric car guy, where I wince whenever I see people driving a Maserati or Range Rover.....saying to myself I hope that is on a lease as those are notoriously unreliable vehicles - because I keep vehicles for 10-15 years - but that is me. But man, those cars are beautiful - so either they know and don't care, or are blissfully unaware. Similar to the comment made here by @MissGotRocks , all this knowledge can be a curse!

Going forward, I feel I may be compelled to intervene with the young couple I see at the mall jewelry store looking at engagement rings under 100 thousand watts of specialty lighting looking at a half carat stone with the cut and clarity of a piece of gum, but looks good under the lighting. I am very intrigued in the geometric properties of super ideal cut diamonds, and what proportions relate best to others, and how to best interpret IS/ASET images, and how to interpret the average 360 view on vendor websites for flaws. However, in practice I am more in the @Ibrakeforpossums camp of good enough, as basic economics always applies and we all have finite resources. Sometimes that extra 10% isn't there, so what has to give? I have spent a significant amount of time researching this, and time is finite as well. I am close to the point where I can make an informed decision and feel good about it and move on with that new knowledge that hopefully I am able to share.

I am interested in the human behavior aspects of what people are willing to compromise on and why, especially areas where they cannot actually observed under normal viewing conditions (e.g. clarity and 1 or 2 color grades). I refer back to the GIA study on fluorescence , and while although the study has some limitations, it is interesting to note that most people cannot interpret presence of or levels of fluorescence, but is still generally viewed by people outside this forum as a negative. I love that BG actually has his Blue line of fluorescent stones, magnificently cut at a discount no less. These little stones are certainly fascinating.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t believe anyone has brought Jann Paul up so far. They are based in Singapore and have a line of branded super ideal cut stones. Their videos on YouTube are super helpful (I believe your linguistically sophisticated mother would cringe at my phrasing of that last sentence lol), and you might enjoy learning about them. Paul Hung develops their proprietary cuts.

Several people have purchased their lab stones and been beyond happy with them. I have a band and am thrilled with my decagon melee. They also do mined stones, but I don’t believe I’ve seen as many mined PS purchases.

I’ve enjoyed your threads immensely. Good luck with your final decision!

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
I don’t believe anyone has brought Jann Paul up so far. They are based in Singapore and have a line of branded super ideal cut stones. Their videos on YouTube are super helpful (I believe your linguistically sophisticated mother would cringe at my phrasing of that last sentence lol), and you might enjoy learning about them. Paul Hung develops their proprietary cuts.

Several people have purchased their lab stones and been beyond happy with them. I have a band and am thrilled with my decagon melee. They also do mined stones, but I don’t believe I’ve seen as many mined PS purchases.

I’ve enjoyed your threads immensely. Good luck with your final decision!

Great reference @0515vision and I appreciate you opening up other education opportunities. Indeed, I have likely seen most of their videos and I found them very helpful, especially the ones around color. They do a great job with the knowledge portal on their website, and I find it to be one of the most informative and objective. Lab diamonds are out in my case. Having never heard of a decagon ring, I watched their video creating a decagon bespoke ring and the level of craftsmanship mastery is impressive. Who else is confident enough to show how the sausage is made?! Very nice - thanks for revealing that style -beautiful.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

I think all we can do is give posters information and let them make their own decisions.

One factor when considering superideals is that the vendors believe so strongly in their product that they offer unbeatable upgrade possibilities and thus, future flexibility. This mattered A LOT to me when choosing a stone. It may not matter to you. You may not want optical precision or think the benefits of a super ideal don’t justify the price.

Others need things to be mind clean in every respect. They know themselves well enough to understand that if they see a quality in their stone a few years in the future they don’t want to end up beset by nagging thoughts that perhaps it isn’t the best cut stone.

Superideals do have unbeatable performance for modern rounds. They take care of the mind clean aspect. If this isn’t important to you, then by all means, there are people around here who will help you find what you want. A super ideal was worth the money *for me* as well as a lot of other PSers, but that doesn’t mean it is to you.

Anyway…. @Old_Fossil , let me mention one more thing—you are learning a lot and researching, and that is all great. However, make sure you’re getting the input of your wife as to what SHE wants. What are her color tolerances? What’s her most important criteria? Size? Color? Best cut? Since you’re struggling with the color decision I would start there, because no two sets of eyes see color alike.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Anyway…. @Old_Fossil , let me mention one more thing—you are learning a lot and researching, and that is all great. However, make sure you’re getting the input of your wife as to what SHE wants. What are her color tolerances? What’s her most important criteria? Size? Color? Best cut? Since you’re struggling with the color decision I would start there, because no two sets of eyes see color alike.

@Tonks this is the best advice I have received here yet. These conversations are indeed taking place, and we are headed to look at color variation this weekend. I am personally intrigued by the details, and she not as much. Cut is king, and wants to catch the eyes across the room. Carat has been addressed. Color is the outlier, and that will be addressed soon. Will report back on where we land. Your pictures and videos were likely the most helpful of all, so thanks for sharing all of them - cliche' I know, but Vivian is a true rock star! I know putting that all together took a lot of time and effort, and you should know it has been of great benefit to others. It may turn out that we end up wanting Vivian's clone.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
@Tonks this is the best advice I have received here yet. These conversations are indeed taking place, and we are headed to look at color variation this weekend. I am personally intrigued by the details, and she not as much. Cut is king, and wants to catch the eyes across the room. Carat has been addressed. Color is the outlier, and that will be addressed soon. Will report back on where we land. Your pictures and videos were likely the most helpful of all, so thanks for sharing all of them - cliche' I know, but Vivian is a true rock star! I know putting that all together took a lot of time and effort, and you should know it has been of great benefit to others. It may turn out that we end up wanting Vivian's clone.

I’m so glad that was helpful!

If you end up with Viv’s (she seems to like her nickname better) clone, I will be so flattered and excited for you. Heck, I’m flattered you like her so much as is!

Have fun looking at color this weekend. It will be fascinating to see how you perceive it vs how your wife does. Make sure you can see stones in both natural light and store light, because it really changes perception.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
To follow up on the JA backlighting topic on this thread.....what is going on with this True Hearts arrows image here?

1708385714951.png

The link to this stone is here From what I can gather this stone seems to be relatively well cut, with a decent face-on view and without too many shenanigans going on in the 360 video images. But then JA posts the Ideal Scope arrows image and evidently it was taken in a tanning booth. Using @Karl_K ' s wisdom I gathered from @lovedogs with using the lightest part of the center under the table as a reference, this stone may actually not have any leakage? I imagine it would quickly be rejected by the average buyer. The GIA report is from last summer, so not like this has been languishing on the JA site since the early days of figuring out how to post IS pics.

35.5/40.6 may be at the limits, and perhaps a bit deepish at 62.4, and perhaps other proportion variables are less than ideal, but I wonder who is letting these images through quality control? It seems to me to be either a incredibly leaky stone, or someone needs to turn the light output down on the table on which they photograph these stones. There seems to be a lot of these really light centers on JA IS images. Any thoughts on this are welcome, as I don't imagine they inspire consumer confidence. Thanks to all as always.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results