carat
color
clarity

Unheated pink sapphire...

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone

I'm considering an unheated pick sapphire (or neon pink mahenge spinel) for my next big purchase (many months away) but I am very VERY new to buying online. I've had a look at the recommended vendor list and I know I prefer buying via a place like ebay or etsy because of the added 'protection' they would give you if something went wrong.

I've seen some purply pink unheated sapphires by avis diamonds... can anyone give me any personal experience with them? Are they over priced? Anyone bothered to search for the rings I'm talking about and letting me know if they are good stones/good value?

Definitely don't want to overpay, will grudgingly pay the expected norm price but would be happiest bagging a bargain :pray:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I presume you've read this?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

The vendors' list was created because the vendors there have good customer service, are honest and upfront about their products and treatment, have a generous return/refund policy and pictures are generally accurate. Many posters have purchased from vendors that made the list, so although a few may not have a good experience, for the most part, many have repeat customers.

EBay is now more protective of the seller than the buyer and Etsy has almost no power whatsoever. Etsy is very much like eBay where you have to do your own research on the vendor and the feedbacks do not always tell the whole story.

Avis Diamonds:
1. Most of them have atrocious cuts.
2. Most sapphires do not come with GIA reports, so I would expect diffusion for those with vivid colouration.

Many of us purchase loose stones, then set it because it allows us more options and better quality/pricing.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yep Chrono read that. Still feel very apprehensive spending a large amount....might have to shake that feeling off though if I want my stones!

The sapphires I'm looking at from avis do come with GIA cert.

Also havnt ever gone the custom route so feel apprehensive about the 'hassle' associated with that... (full time job and mum to 2 under 3 aswell as a house and husband to look after certainly doesn't leave me much free time)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't have to be fully custom. If you get a stone in a calibrated size, you can get any off-the-shelf setting and it will fit. I looked at their pink sapphire rings and think I know which one you are considering. The cut isn't good though...

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In your opinion Chrono do you think I'd need to spend more for a better cut or could get a better cut with that money and it's overpriced?

Also with custom work I fear sending an expensive gem off to have it set. I'm in the UK and we don't have nearly half the options those of you lucky enough to be in the US have... I also don't have or know of local jewellers that do this so if I went that route I'd have the fear of is the jeweller switching my stone!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your priority? Just nice colour, a balance of colour and cut, or just a good deal?

Stone switching is actually quite rare and it is more difficult to switch a coloured stone (same colour, same shape and same dimensions is difficult to replicate), not to mention the tarnishing of a good reputation will never be recovered, effectively killing the business / shop.

Is there no standard off the shelf settings like Stuller, Adiamor and the like in the UK?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The most important aspects for me are colour and the fact that it's completely untreated/unheated. I can totally comprimise on size for a better quality stone. The cut...as long as the stone is still 'pretty' I'm not so fussed for it to be precision cut or anything...
The price is becoming more of a factor as I realise my thirst for CS's won't be quenched anytime soon and I can't keep making the big and frequent spends I have been.

That's great to hear that vendor has a good rep on PS...I've already spoken to her about both rings haha. Unfortunately the sapphire has been heat treated otherwise it would be in the post on its way to me already :naughty:

I do love the pink spinel (and a couple others she has) only thing holding me back is I saw a glowing neon pink spinel before (which would cost a few hundred more) but stone only so I've not snapped it up.

By the time I'm ready to purchase I may very well be purchasing from that vendor, hopefully she has some gorgeous pink spinel options left!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get too hung up on the untreated part. Colour is more important than plain heat although diffusion is a different matter altogether. If you are looking for untreated, that's okay too. If you want a spinel with better colour or unheated pink sapphire with good colour, the budget will probably need to be upped as you've surmised.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1447864037|3951314 said:
Don't get too hung up on the untreated part. Colour is more important than plain heat although diffusion is a different matter altogether. If you are looking for untreated, that's okay too. If you want a spinel with better colour or unheated pink sapphire with good colour, the budget will probably need to be upped as you've surmised.

+1

Consider also that heat occurs naturally in the earth. "Heat only" is the lesser of evils in terms of treatment. On the plus side, a little heat can improve a gemstone that perhaps hasn't been in the earth long enough/deep enough to get it's share of the duvet! You can't "see" whether a gemstone has been heated and on the plus side it keeps costs down considerably.

At the end of the day, if something is a bargain, you'll very rarely see it because it'll sell before it goes online. So forget about a bargain and look for something that you can afford and it makes your heart flutter.

In terms of the two linked to by Chrono, I think they represent good value for money and I'd suggest revisiting them.

S

SparkliesLuver

theredspinel said:
That's great to hear that vendor has a good rep on PS...I've already spoken to her about both rings haha. Unfortunately the sapphire has been heat treated otherwise it would be in the post on its way to me already :naughty:

I do love the pink spinel (and a couple others she has) only thing holding me back is I saw a glowing neon pink spinel before (which would cost a few hundred more) but stone only so I've not snapped it up.

If this is really what you're after, buy it (but make sure you're familiar with the return policy, just in case). Glowing neon pink spinels are pretty rare, so I'd consider it if I were you.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmm so much to think about!! :loopy:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minoubijoux is selling 2 gorgeous stones in Loupetroupe, one is a very open and bright blue tourmaline and the other is a neon pink Mahenge spinel. Do take a look there as these are material that one would have to search high and low to find. It pains me to see them on the selling block but I wish her a quick and successful sale.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh thank you Chrono, can you give me a link? I've never used (or even heard of loupetroup
) before.

She wouldn't be in the UK would she...I got stung by such a high imports tax for my red spinel it's really really put me off purchasing from abroad!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the mistaken link but that is an example of a stone that I really do NOT want...its far too diluted in saturation.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crescentgems|1451034634|3966055 said:
I am Sorry I forgot there is a no advertisement policy on pricescope
I need to delete the above post , how do i get about deleting
thanks in advance.
Ahmed

Here on PS you can edit your own posts for only 45 minutes.
After that only admin can change a post.

Click on the 'report concern !' button on the upper-right corner of that post.

screen_shot_2015-12-25_at_2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results