shape
carat
color
clarity

Unhappy, Might be moving to East Bay Area, Ca. Any info on Life/housing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha, seems like I struck a nerve with the Berkeley folks. When I said Berkeley was "ghetto", I was also taking into account the OP''s $750K range. What you''ll find for that price in Berkeley is going to be more ghetto than some of the other cities mentioned. Berkeley Hills is way beyond that price range. Plus, I''ve been to Berkeley Hills. Yeah, they''ve got nice mansions, but you''re a pretty isolated pocket of wealth. If I had that kind of money, you''d find my butt across the Bay in SF. That''s just me tho.

Berkeley does have charm. It''s just that the crime outweighs it too much to actually live there IMO. Still has the best food of any college town in CA that I''ve been to tho.

Still, I stand by my "Berkeley is ghetto" statement. Yes, it''s a generality, but still. Compared to the other cities being tossed out as suggestions, Berkeley is too ghetto IMO. I''ve got lots of fond memories made in that city, but I still can''t recommend it to the OP.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I live in San francisco and wouldn''t be too happy about moving to Pleasanton and Dublin either because from what I understand it''s very suburban and I like cities. But I bet there are some areas in both places with interesting neighborhoods and people. Any chance that you can move to Albany or the Oakland Berkeley hills?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
No berkeley is not a Ghetto.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 8:08:54 PM
Author: qtiekiki
I grew up in Alameda, but now lived in LA. I miss it so much. It''s a nice little island, well the west side is kind of ghetto. I think that''s how most of the city in East Bay Area are; there''s nice part, then there''s ghetto part. Pleasanton/Dublin area are relatively newly developed, so a lot of the houses are boxes. Well there''s also Piedmont and Montclair (sp?) in Oakland that nice but expensive. Certain parts of berkeley very nice, other parts are more ghetto. I haven''t been out there too often since I graduated. But I did go to this really good peking duck place by campus; they remove all the fat from the roasted skin. If I were to choose I would live in Alameda, it''s in the center of everything. It''s so convienence. They are prettifying the city (I think I made up this word). It''s quite nice. My family still live there, but I couldn''t get DH to move up there when we got engaged.

My mom is from Alameda!!! She is 80 though, I am sure it was quite different in the 20''s and 30''s...but she does remember it fondly!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 12:14:52 AM
Author: diamondfan

Date: 2/1/2007 8:08:54 PM
Author: qtiekiki
I grew up in Alameda, but now lived in LA. I miss it so much. It''s a nice little island, well the west side is kind of ghetto. I think that''s how most of the city in East Bay Area are; there''s nice part, then there''s ghetto part. Pleasanton/Dublin area are relatively newly developed, so a lot of the houses are boxes. Well there''s also Piedmont and Montclair (sp?) in Oakland that nice but expensive. Certain parts of berkeley very nice, other parts are more ghetto. I haven''t been out there too often since I graduated. But I did go to this really good peking duck place by campus; they remove all the fat from the roasted skin. If I were to choose I would live in Alameda, it''s in the center of everything. It''s so convienence. They are prettifying the city (I think I made up this word). It''s quite nice. My family still live there, but I couldn''t get DH to move up there when we got engaged.

My mom is from Alameda!!! She is 80 though, I am sure it was quite different in the 20''s and 30''s...but she does remember it fondly!
Yeah it actually change quite a bit the last few years, especially on Park Street (the central street in the island). Even time I go up to visit, I see new things like stores, restaurants, and etc and newer sidewalks with plants. I love it.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2007 12:40:27 PM
Author: IndieJones
However, he forgot Mills College! (understandable since it''s a woman''s college). I don''t know what their CS department is like but it''d be easier to get to from both Walnut Creek, pleasanton, and even livermore.

Indie - I just caught up w/this thread, sorry. but I just wanted to add that a friend of mine went to Mills (as an undergrad) and loved it, she has many close friends from there, it seems like a great community. Also, if you are considering that school, you might also want to consider areas of Oakland. The area just north of Mills is rather decent, depending on the location, you are always safer if you stay East of 580, there is an area called the Laurel district, near/north of 35th and Macarthur (stay EAST of macarthur!!!) that is quite nice and reasonably priced, DH and I have been looking in that area. In fact, we just saw a gorgeous 1920s updated house there today for under $600k with a HUGE yard.

For bay area house listings use movoto.com, you can search by location/map and it gives all the school districts and everything. Also check zillow.com for house price estimates.
Good luck!!

There''s also Merritt college, not sure what kind of programs they have, but they are local also, not sure if they''ve already been mentioned.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
We''ve talked about it and If we move there I think we''ll probably stick to being within 15-20 minutes of his work (which is somewhere in that valley with pleasanton and livermore). No need for both of us to commute! I do have trouble getting a good sense of how long it''d take to get anywhere by car because I''m not sure how much to add on for traffic.
It''d be really nice if I could convince him into an older house in walking distance to stores and resteraunts. There seem to be houses like that in both of those towns.
No, I hadn''t heard of Meritt college, I''ll look it up!

I know we''d have a good life there, but I still wish things would work out so we could live in Eugene.
15.gif
If we went there our school/work things would be within a few minutes of each other... by walking! I''m greedy, the more time I can spend with him, even if it''s coffee during the day once a week, the happier I am! Maybe it''s time for a patron of lost causes candle?? Or PS vibes?

5.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
It probably makes sense to settle down, at least initially, in the livermore/pleasanton area, since your school stuff isn''t set yet.

If you are curious about traffic patterns and estimated travel around the bay area, check out 511.org, it gives traffic updates thoughout the day, and depending what cities/routes you''re going, i think it can estimate driving times.

I understand what you mean about wanting to walk and have jobs close to home, I feel the same way. I think it''s just a much healthier lifestyle being able to walk to close restuarants and run errands, I''m stuck in suburbia right now and you have to drive EVERYWHERE.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results