shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncertified diamond set in a pendant

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I need some advice regarding a stone set in a cross pendant. I was gifted this pendant at age 12 and told that the centre stone was a round diamond - I don't think it's bigger than .25 but I might be wrong. I completely forgot about it until a couple of weeks ago when I was going through my old jewellery. I have no certificate for the stone and really have no way of knowing whether it really is a diamond or whether the person giving it to me back then was just not being truthful and trying to pass a CZ off for a diamond - I'm also ashamed to admit that after so long on PS, I still can't tell a diamond apart from a CZ with a naked eye :errrr:

Anyway, I have no intention of ever wearing the yellow gold pendant, and I'm thinking of removing the stone - assuming it is a diamond - and trying to get it reset in something else; at the moment I'm thinking of using it as part of a set of diamond studs. My question is whether I should try and get it certified or whether I can just get it independently appraised. The point is that I have no intention of ever selling it, or any intention of letting it go to waste; I will use it no matter how badly cut it might be. I just want to know the specs so as to try to find a match for it to complete the set of diamond studs.

Do you think that for my purposes it's ok to just get it appraised?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me I would take it to a jeweler and get them to verify that its a diamond. If so, ask them about what color they think
it is and compare it with a few other stones that they have to help narrow down the color. I personally dont think it is worth
sending off to have it graded. If the jeweler cant tell you enough about the stone then I would take it to an appraiser.

Hope you end up with a nice new pair of earrings!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelers have this neat little tester that will tell if it's a diamond or not. If it's a diamond I would just find a diamond that looks like it matches and have earrings made. I don't know I'd go to a lot of extra time, effort and money to get it appraised and certified.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Do you think the jeweler might be able to give me an idea regarding cut? I wouldn't want one to sparkle a lot more than the other.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I think I'll probably have to give up on the studs idea for the moment.

I went to one jeweler who said that the money it would take to remove the diamond from the pendant would be equal to or greater than what it would cost me to get a brand new pair of studs. I then went to another jeweler who said they wouldn't charge me anything to remove the diamond, but couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't chip in the process. Back to the drawing board...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results