shape
carat
color
clarity

Umm, Grocery Shower?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 7:47:12 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
The shower is the first weekend in May. I will definitely be back with updates!

ok! I''ll be waiting to hear the (guaranteed to be) fabulous story! :)

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
This is totally odd, but I would just hock it up and laugh it off....you will have silly funny memories of it one day!

On a side note, we once went to a housewarming party for my cousin and his wife when they first moved into their apartment. My side of the family bought them all nice houseware stuff, her side of the family was giving canned food and really odd, random dollar store items. We all thought that was pretty weird, but I guess everyone does things differently.

Maybe the people you are inviting to this shower will really step it up for you. And I think it''s crazy that your mom thinks you are too old for a shower. I''ve owned my house for 2 years and didn''t really need anything, but I still had a shower, and still got a lot of very nice, useful items!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG--I thought you might enjoy this:
I told DH about your grocery shower and his first response was "What if someone brings food in a box? Or a CAN? Do they have to eat it? Gross!"

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry but this is hilarious. At least you''re getting a good chuckle out of it yourself. It does seem very strange. Remember to tell us all about it.

Mrs.SE

Rough_Rock
This is the most awesome-est tackiest thing I''ve heard of in a longgg time. I love it! LOL! Have fun with it, really just roll with it as best you can, don''t take it seriously. Sorry it isn''t what you were hopful of - but hey things like this is what you''ll look back on and laugh for years to come :)

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
This is the best laugh I have had all week.

Monarch...you bad pounding girl....too funny.

I think one can take just about any situation and turn it into something hysterically fun (Sandra Bullocks situation the exception).

Go with it and keep track of all the smack talking texts leading up to the party, because they are funny as hell too!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2010 2:10:51 PM
Author: miraclesrule

I think one can take just about any situation and turn it into something hysterically fun (Sandra Bullocks situation the exception).

Go with it and keep track of all the smack talking texts leading up to the party, because they are funny as hell too!

That''s what I''M saying, Miracles! It just has to be approached with humor and grace on the bride''s part. It''s obviously not the ideal situation or theme for a bridal shower, but ya know... when life hands you lemons, make lemonade and add vodka! It will make for good stories for the grandkids, and hopefully everyone involved has fun with it. And there''s cake. Cake trumps everything!

36.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m afraid I have some good news. FMIL called one of the aunts and had the idea of the grocery shower nixed! I was hoping I''d have some great stories next month but it looks like it will be a plain old bridal shower now; no strange themes. I was almost getting excited to see what I was going to get! Ha!

In other good news, I went home for Easter and spoke with my dad. Turns out, two of my mother''s friends had offered to throw a shower for me so now my folks are going to tell them to go for it! Not quite sure why my mother is so against me having a shower but now I''ll be able to have one that my friends AND her friends will be invited to. (I''m only allowed to invite my bridesmaids and my mother to the shower thrown by FI''s aunts).

I''m sorry I won''t have any fun details to share with you, but I''m extremely glad I won''t have my cupboards stocked by a bunch of future in-laws I''ve never met!!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 10:48:22 PM
Author: monarch64
That''s what I''M saying, Miracles! It just has to be approached with humor and grace on the bride''s part. It''s obviously not the ideal situation or theme for a bridal shower, but ya know... when life hands you lemons, make lemonade and add vodka! It will make for good stories for the grandkids, and hopefully everyone involved has fun with it. And there''s cake. Cake trumps everything!
36.gif

I was having some fun joking about what a train wreck this could have been, but I would never be anything but gracious and kind to the hosts and the guests at the shower. This wasn''t meant to be a "bridezilla-y/woe is me" post. Like I said before, I''m a "keep on the sunny side"/"glass is half full" kind of person. I was just having a little fun by sharing one of the most bizarre things I''ve heard in awhile. If it came across that I don''t have a sense of humor about this, then that was not the intention.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2010 12:17:33 PM
Author: Haven
TG--I thought you might enjoy this:

I told DH about your grocery shower and his first response was ''What if someone brings food in a box? Or a CAN? Do they have to eat it? Gross!''

Hahahaha! That was pretty much my first response to FI when I heard about this too!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 11:38:47 PM
I''m afraid I have some good news. FMIL called one of the aunts and had the idea of the grocery shower nixed! I was hoping I''d have some great stories next month but it looks like it will be a plain old bridal shower now; no strange themes. I was almost getting excited to see what I was going to get! Ha!

In other good news, I went home for Easter and spoke with my dad. Turns out, two of my mother''s friends had offered to throw a shower for me so now my folks are going to tell them to go for it! Not quite sure why my mother is so against me having a shower but now I''ll be able to have one that my friends AND her friends will be invited to. (I''m only allowed to invite my bridesmaids and my mother to the shower thrown by FI''s aunts).

I''m sorry I won''t have any fun details to share with you, but I''m extremely glad I won''t have my cupboards stocked by a bunch of future in-laws I''ve never met!!

i''m totally happy for you tg, but i must admit when i read this i went "damn!" i was looking forward to the stories.
but really awesome that you are going to get gifts that you hopefully won''t end up donating after the party!!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Oh well. I was looking forward to funny stories. I hope you enjoy your (proper) new shower.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw this thread, and I have to say, TG, this is one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time. It's such a completely random theme, and it's hilarious. I love your friends' and co-workers' comments. I couldn't stop laughing while reading them to my husband. I really don't mean to be insensitive but it's just so funny and odd.

ETA: I just read your update and saw that the idea's been nixed. I'm sure you'll have a great time at the shower that's being planned now.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TG, glad to hear the grocery theme has changed and that you will be having another shower as well! Great news!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say, it would have been funny-- as in funny for ME, a spectator. But as the bride-- not so much at all. Glad it got scrapped. One has to wonder though. What were they thinking?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
aww Travel Goddess, I was really looking forward to hearing the story in a few weeks!

I`m glad you don`t have to worry about this anymore - I hope you enjoy your regular-themed bridal shower(s)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Very odd. LOL

However, this got me thinking. What I would love, would have been like a "Delicious Dish" theme shower... where everyone brought you the ingredients and the recipe for one of their favorite dishes. So that you could make it later!

But just to bring a bag of groceries... that is so weird. It reminds me of a canned food drive.
40.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2010 8:58:20 PM
Author:Travel Goddess

My friends and co-workers are having a hay day with this. My MOH sent me a text the other night. It said: ''Stopping by the grocery store for some milk after work. Figured I''d get your shower gift while I''m there. Hope you like Ramen Noodles!'' Someone else asked if I was registered at Cub Foods or ALDI. A couple of my coworkers said that after I open every gift, I should say ''Oh great! Cake Mix! Sure wish I had something to COOK this in.''

So anyway. Has anyone ever heard of this ''grocery shower'' idea? Is it just me, or is this about the weirdest thing you''ve heard for a shower? Good grief. I can''t get out of it. I have to go. Wish I could just say ''Oh shucks, I already went grocery shopping this week. Thanks anyway!'' FI told me to say that I''m a vegan who only buys organic foods, I''m on a gluten-free diet and I''m allergic to nuts. They''d probably figure out it was a lie when they see me inhaling my steak and wedding cake at our reception.....

Yes yes yes, it''s the thought that counts. But WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!?!?!
TG, I have no helpful advice what-so-ever but had to say, I totally craked up when I read the above paragraphs. BF asked what I was laughing so hard at so I read it to him. He thinks you should go with the vegan excuse.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 7:01:47 AM
Author: 4ever

TG, I have no helpful advice what-so-ever but had to say, I totally craked up when I read the above paragraphs. BF asked what I was laughing so hard at so I read it to him. He thinks you should go with the vegan excuse.

Haha! It like Gypsy said, it''s funny when it''s happening to SOMEONE ELSE! I would have been teasing mercilessly if it was a friend of mine! I probably would have bought her a bunch of goofy stuff for the shower like Spam and Gummy Worms. You know, the staples.

I''m sure it would have made for some awesome stories, that''s for sure. This is the stuff Urban Legends are made of. "I know a guy who was best friends with this girl who''s cousin had a grocery shower thrown for her. Can you believe that?!?!"

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 10:55:12 PM

Date: 4/7/2010 7:01:47 AM
Author: 4ever

Haha! It like Gypsy said, it''s funny when it''s happening to SOMEONE ELSE! I would have been teasing mercilessly if it was a friend of mine! I probably would have bought her a bunch of goofy stuff for the shower like Spam and Gummy Worms. You know, the staples.

I''m sure it would have made for some awesome stories, that''s for sure. This is the stuff Urban Legends are made of. ''I know a guy who was best friends with this girl who''s cousin had a grocery shower thrown for her. Can you believe that?!?!''
This is why you HAVE TO GO! Because then after the brief period of emotional trama and cringing, it will produce YEARS of hilarious references between you and your friends. Good luck!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock

That's what I'M saying, Miracles! It just has to be approached with humor and grace on the bride's part. It's obviously not the ideal situation or theme for a bridal shower, but ya know... when life hands you lemons, make lemonade and add vodka! It will make for good stories for the grandkids, and hopefully everyone involved has fun with it. And there's cake. Cake trumps everything!

36.gif
Haha! And you KNOW that someone would have been bringing sugar and lemons as a gift! (and hopefully Vodka)

I'm glad everything worked out for you, Travel... but i was sooo looking forward to the pictures!

"And here's travel opening up the cans of creamed corn that Aunt Edna bought her!"

"Ooh! Ooh! And here's a great one of Grandma Dottie's gift! Frozen orange juice from concentrate and ground beef! How thoughtful!"

And on that note, would you have had to rent a refrigerator or bring a cooler to keep "perishables" until the end of the shower?!

And what would your thank you cards say?
"Dear Cousin Jane,
I just wanted to take the time to thank you for the 7 boxes of frosted flakes. Mr. Travel and I both agree that they are more than good, they're grrrrrrrrrreat! We'll think of you every time we munch them.
Sincerely,
Travel"

Ha ha ha ha ha!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 12:17:40 AM
Author: jaylex
36.gif
Haha! And you KNOW that someone would have been bringing sugar and lemons as a gift! (and hopefully Vodka)

I''m glad everything worked out for you, Travel... but i was sooo looking forward to the pictures!

''And here''s travel opening up the cans of creamed corn that Aunt Edna bought her!''

''Ooh! Ooh! And here''s a great one of Grandma Dottie''s gift! Frozen orange juice from concentrate and ground beef! How thoughtful!''

And on that note, would you have had to rent a refrigerator or bring a cooler to keep ''perishables'' until the end of the shower?!

''Dear Cousin Jane,

I just wanted to take the time to thank you for the 7 boxes of frosted flakes. Mr. Travel and I both agree that they are more than good, they''re grrrrrrrrrreat! We''ll think of you every time we munch them.

Sincerely,

Travel''

Ha ha ha ha ha!

oh my goodness I just about died. Could you imagine writing that out? I sooooo need to put frosted flakes on my registry
20.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock

36.gif
''Dear Cousin Jane,
I just wanted to take the time to thank you for the 7 boxes of frosted flakes. Mr. Travel and I both agree that they are more than good, they''re grrrrrrrrrreat! We''ll think of you every time we munch them.
Sincerely,
Travel''

Ha ha ha ha ha!
OMG!! I am seriously bent over at my desk in pain from laughing!! This is one of the funniest things I have EVER read on this board.
9.gif

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
haha! Thank you, ladies! I''m honored!
I wish there was a little bowing smiley that says "thank you, thank you!"
But we don''t have one so i''ll use this:
5.gif

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 10:55:33 AM
Author: meresal

36.gif

''Dear Cousin Jane,

Sincerely,

Travel''

Ha ha ha ha ha!

OMG!! I am seriously bent over at my desk in pain from laughing!! This is one of the funniest things I have EVER read on this board.
9.gif

HILARIOUS!!! I sure was looking forward to some awesome grocery hand shots, you know, like Price Is Right style! Glad it worked out for you, but I''m glad you''ll have this story to tell for years to come
41.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a recipe for disaster... Well intentioned I''m sure. Good luck with this....
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results