shape
carat
color
clarity

Umbalite garnet question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I received an umbalite garnet today. It''s a darker pink during the day but it turns a brownish colour under fluroscent lights. Is this normal?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t own an umbalite nor had the opportunity to view it indoors. How muddy does it get indoors? I’ve heard that some garnets are early morning stones and look their best under diffused sunlight. Maybe umbalite garnets aren’t for you?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think a high quality color umbalite should do this. For example, I don''t believe Arjunajane''s James Meyer bezeled umbalite does this.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
My 3 don't. Sounds like a colour change garnet, similar to the one at precisiongem

Mine turn a rose-purple colour in fluorescent.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 2:51:34 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I don''t think a high quality color umbalite should do this. For example, I don''t believe Arjunajane''s James Meyer bezeled umbalite does this.

correct, mine does not ever turn muddy at all. It looks its best outdoors, but is still pretty in all lights.
perhaps one to send back LG?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I could see turning dark, but not brownish as you describe it.

Swala Gem Traders

Rough_Rock
Hi Lovingems,

If it''s really an Umbalite - which it seems to be - then it''s totally normal. Umbalite is a commercial name for Pyro-spessartite garnets from Umba Valley (north east of Tanzania). Most Umbalites have color shift or color change characteristics (Color Change Garnets for instance are Pyro-spessartites as well).

You may not like the color under fluorescent lighting conditions, but that''s another issue. Personnally, I think the color shift or color change is special. I don''t know who you bought it from and at what price but if you think it''s a good deal, I would encourage you to keep it. These gems are quite rare and should be "cherished" ;-)

I hope this helps.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for everyone's comments. I took my umbalite to work today and it turned to a purplish colour, and my malaya turned a brownish bronze. I think my workplace has fluroscent lights.

What kind of lights are energy savers light bulbs? I though they are fluroscence, now I'm confused. That's where the umbalite turned to a bronzy brown.

I did a search about umbalites on Pricescope and couldn't find any mention of a brownish colour, so I was a bit surprised by the change as it wasn't in the description.

I think I was really spoiled by my new blue green tourmaline that arrived with my umbalite.
emembarrassed.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pyro-spess malaya that color shifts into a golden-brown color under fluro lights, I''m pretty fond of it. I don''t have any Umba garnets though.

And I do believe GE energy savers are fluro lights.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 4:01:22 AM
Author: Swala
Hi Lovingems,

If it''s really an Umbalite - which it seems to be - then it''s totally normal. Umbalite is a commercial name for Pyro-spessartite garnets from Umba Valley (north east of Tanzania). Most Umbalites have color shift or color change characteristics (Color Change Garnets for instance are Pyro-spessartites as well).

You may not like the color under fluorescent lighting conditions, but that''s another issue. Personnally, I think the color shift or color change is special. I don''t know who you bought it from and at what price but if you think it''s a good deal, I would encourage you to keep it. These gems are quite rare and should be ''cherished'' ;-)

I hope this helps.
35.gif
Thank you Swala , I was searching for umbalites information last night but couldn''t find much, I read the piece on your website and I''m glad I learned a bit more about these interesting garnets. It is really pretty but I think the poor umbalite garnet was overshadowed by the tourmaline.

Please do post more often, I and I''m sure other Pricescopers, are always excited when someone from the gem trade takes the time to share their knowledge.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what are you going to do with the umbalite? Is is going back?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I think garnets are just a bit moody.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 8:39:15 AM
Author: Lovinggems

Hi Lovingems,

You may not like the color under fluorescent lighting conditions, but that''s another issue. Personnally, I think the color shift or color change is special. I don''t know who you bought it from and at what price but if you think it''s a good deal, I would encourage you to keep it. These gems are quite rare and should be ''cherished'' ;-)

I hope this helps.
35.gif
Thank you Swala , I was searching for umbalites information last night but couldn''t find much, I read the piece on your website and I''m glad I learned a bit more about these interesting garnets. It is really pretty but I think the poor umbalite garnet was overshadowed by the tourmaline.

Please do post more often, I and I''m sure other Pricescopers, are always excited when someone from the gem trade takes the time to share their knowledge.
Do other red items remain red under your bulbs? I''ve written before about my experience with certain compact fluorescent bulbs which turned any red into brown, be it TIME magazine covers, clothing, skin, or rubies. Not the gemstone''s fault in this case. I''ll bet even the best pink tourmalines would turn brown. If the red color spectrum is completely gone, then nothing appear red.

That said my umbalites turn grapey purple/pink in color under some office fluorescents, and are pink and red otherwise. I love them.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 9:26:45 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
So what are you going to do with the umbalite? Is is going back?
I don''t know yet, I''ll wait until the weekend, take some photos and have a better look.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 9:37:38 AM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 6/4/2009 8:39:15 AM
Author: Lovinggems

Hi Lovingems,

I hope this helps.
35.gif

Do other red items remain red under your bulbs? I''ve written before about my experience with certain compact fluorescent bulbs which turned any red into brown, be it TIME magazine covers, clothing, skin, or rubies. Not the gemstone''s fault in this case. I''ll bet even the best pink tourmalines would turn brown. If the red color spectrum is completely gone, then nothing appear red.

That said my umbalites turn grapey purple/pink in color under some office fluorescents, and are pink and red otherwise. I love them.
FG - I tested my ruby and it looked crappy under the energy light bulb, not brown though, but the life and colour has been sucked out of the stone. I think the lightbulb''s the main culprit.

C - yes they seem to be pretty moody.

MTG- glad yours turns to a similar colour. If umbas are pyro-spess then it''s pretty similar to your malaya?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lovingems,

I hope this helps.
Hi Eric,
You see, color shifting gems like this drive me nuts, and I try to avoid them at all costs. I don''t mind color change gems that turn from one distinct color to a very very different color, like alexandrite. However, color shift gems that get muddy or grey under certain light sources are not my cup of tea. I purposely do everything to avoid them at all costs. This is just my opinion, nothing more. It doesn''t mean the stone isn''t special or wonderful to the OP. Some people, like you Eric, like this quality, and that''s totally fine.
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Loving- glad you decided to keep it. Garnets definitely can be moody, but yours looks lovely!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I have a few garnets and some of them are moody...one of my malaya''s goes from pink to a rusty orange color. But I love them. It gives the stone character.

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad you chose to keep the stone, sorry I''m late to the party. I bought an Umba from Barry last month and it knocked my socks off. It has purple flashes and morphs into a pinkish purple stone as well depending on the light but never goes brown. My only complaint about my specific stone is that it''s too small for the mounting I had in mind
39.gif
I''ll have to wait for a bigger one to come along. sigh

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
weird - my umbalite goes from red, to pink, to purple - to magenta - to sometimes all of these at once!
But never "muddy" or gray in the slightest, regardless of light source.
Personally I like this colour shift, like Eric said I think its special (or cool) - I get a different colour gem depending what lighting I''m in.
I dunno, maybe I got lucky? I didn''t know "muddiness" was typical of these at all.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 1:06:00 PM
Author: arjunajane
weird - my umbalite goes from red, to pink, to purple - to magenta - to sometimes all of these at once!
But never ''muddy'' or gray in the slightest, regardless of light source.
Personally I like this colour shift, like Eric said I think its special (or cool) - I get a different colour gem depending what lighting I''m in.
I dunno, maybe I got lucky? I didn''t know ''muddiness'' was typical of these at all.
I think most gems are color shifters when it comes to the way they present themselves in different light sources. The kind of color shifting that doesn''t appeal to me, although it might to others, is when a stone goes to a color that is either more brown or grey My rubellite can go from a hot pink to more of a deep red, but it still shifts only to desirable colors, like your umbalite AJJ.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results