shape
carat
color
clarity

Umbalite Garnet in new home

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this Umbalite from Gene about a year ago and loved it immediately. It has so many different personalities and changes amazingly in different lighting conditions. I see flashes of red, pink, purple. grape and even blue!

So, this is her in her new setting. The setting is white sapphires (a departure for me as I normally use diamonds but this was lying around so ......) and I'm surprised by how much I like them. The setting had to be changed slightly to accommodate the stone but I love it.

Umbalite Garnet8_1_1.JPG

Umbalite Garnet7_1_1.JPG

Umbalite Garnet6_1_1.JPG

Umbalite Garnet5_1_1.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more to show you her different personalities:

Umbalite Garnet4_1_1.JPG

Umbalite Garnet3_1_1.JPG

Umbalite Garnet2_1_1.JPG

Umbalite Garnet1_1_1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Utterly fantastic! I love seeing the many nuances of your garnet, and the setting looks like it was custom made for it. And frankly, sapphires, with their lower RI, will play more of a supporting role instead of out-blinging the center stone. Nicely done!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD, it is absolutely gorgeous. I like her chameleon tendencies especially the fact that every color she turns is a pure, saturated color. I love the fact that you *happened* to have that setting lying around! It is really beautiful. I probably should know this from reading other threads, but do you work with one jeweler whom you trust?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
She looks wonderful in her new sapphire home!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! I love the setting and the stone is stunning.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! I love the grape colour so much that I'd be tempted to stand around in the sun all the time if that were my ring. Thanks for posting the photos.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'll join the chorus -- what a beauty she is! Great in the sapphires. I'd walk around staring at my hand all day long in every kind of light!

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's one of my all time favorite red family garnets that Gene, or anyone actually, ever cut. It is absolutely gorgeous in the new setting. Between all your new threads today, I am sitting in a giant pool of drooooool!! :love: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

I remember you bought that stone from him a long time ago, and it's really a one of a kind and one of the best rhodolite family garnets I have ever seen.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH wow! Fantastic stone! As everyone else said, it looks amazing in that setting. What are the stats on the stone?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, I LOVE it!!! Who is Gene, and where can I get a stone like that?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW,
When you go to Gene's Garnet page, I believe that's the same garnet he has up to designate the "Red Garnets." You know it's really a special stone if Gene still uses it to represent the red garnets page. You can see his vendor photo. I believe It's the one all the way to the left, and I swear you bought that stone at least two years ago. Has it only been a year?

pggarnets.JPG

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is kind of along the lines of this thread... I was in SAM's Club the other day, and they had a bunch or rings with the halo look that were white sapphires. The setting looked very nice, and had center stones that were either a lab created ruby, or lab created sapphire. The rings were only $150 to $175. I thought they would make a nice setting taking the lab stone out, and a substitute for buying these LOGR rings. Workman ship looked good and the white sapphires were very bright. I almost bought one, they looked very similar to the setting in this thread.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
That's beautiful - amazing color!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Great photos of a stunning stone!! Looks wonderful in the new setting. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of wearing that pretty. :appl:

And, I have to agree with TL. After seeing Babyblue's Umbalite from Gene, I purchased one myself. I love it when mine does the grape look. I first saw it during a meeting in a conference room at work, and it was most distracting.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pretty stone+pretty setting=PRETTY RING :appl:

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful. The colour change is really interesting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that stone HAS to be special if Gene used it as a front page header leading in to his inventory. Love the cut AND the colour, plus even the colour change on both are great! Now you’ve got me looking around for umbalites too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono said:
Oh, that stone HAS to be special if Gene used it as a front page header leading in to his inventory. Love the cut AND the colour, plus even the colour change on both are great! Now you’ve got me looking around for umbalites too.

Good luck Chrono,
Finding an umbalite or rhodolite like that is like finding a needle in a haystack. I know because I've been looking too!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
It's sooooo beautiful! :love:
I kind of noticed that energy saving lights are not very flattering on (my) red garnets, but I bet yours would look gorgeous even in the worst lighting conditions...

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, that umbalite is to die for!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must admit I never saw an umbalite IRL and have very vague idea of what it is but it looks gorgeous!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An umbalite is just a marketing name derived from the umba valley in Tanzania origin where these pinkish purple rhodolites are found.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
High praise - thank you TL.

Actually I agree with you in that I've never seen a Rhodolite Garnet that is quite so beautiful. I do believe that the cutting really does show this beautiful gem to it's finest potential. I have always thought that this was the one that Gene used on his Garnet page but wasn't 100% sure. It was for sale for quite some time before I bought it and I could never understand why it hadn't been snapped up before. I really can't remember how long ago I bought it but it may have been nearer to 2 years ago. I was originally going to have an antique ring copied (that my Grandmother had given me) to fit this stone but it involved having claws like leaves that folded over the top of the stone and I was worried it would mask the cutting. I'm glad I didn't in restrospect because setting it has darkened it slightly.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the Rhodolites from the Umba region are prized for their colour? I'm pretty sure that's right but hey ho I seem to retain tons of useless information and the bits I want to recall escape me! :bigsmile:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous new ring! I really want to get a garnet from Gene one of these days but they just get scooped up so darn fast!!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty LD!! Now you got me thinking about grape soda. Mmmmm.... :lickout:

I guess someone's been busy!! Beautiful collection!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK it reminded me an old nursery rhyme and I tried to make mine:

This is the house LD built
This is the stone that lies in the house LD built
This is THE Gene that cut the rough and made the stone that lies in the house LD built
This is the LOGR embracing the stone that came from the rough cut by THE Gene to make the stone that lies in the house LD built
These are PS-ers admiring the LOGR embracing the stone that came from the rough cut by THE Gene to make the stone that lies in the house LD built

I ran out of ideas... there is spinel and other stones... whoever has imagination can continue

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
PrecisionGem said:
This is kind of along the lines of this thread... I was in SAM's Club the other day, and they had a bunch or rings with the halo look that were white sapphires. The setting looked very nice, and had center stones that were either a lab created ruby, or lab created sapphire. The rings were only $150 to $175. I thought they would make a nice setting taking the lab stone out, and a substitute for buying these LOGR rings. Workman ship looked good and the white sapphires were very bright. I almost bought one, they looked very similar to the setting in this thread.

I had to rub my eyes and read this twice - Gene, you almost bought a halo??!! I know people have bought jewelry from Sam's Club and Costco before; I really need to get there and check it out!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, but the word was ALMSOT. I bought a new iPhone 4 instead.

Actually I thought the setting was rather nice, a bit more delicate than most of the LORG's I see posted here. The idea of not having diamonds in it was appealing to me too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just want to clarify. This setting is not an LOGR.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results