shape
carat
color
clarity

Um, anyone else see something wrong with this pic?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, we''ve all commented on her heels before, so that''s not what I am talking about. She''s in a slip of a dress and peep toed shoes, but her mom is in boots and a scarf! And everyone else in the pic (including some burly men) have jackets on! Isn''t this kid cold????!?

ss-100421-instyle-suri-10_ss_full.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
She looks like she''s freezing!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like there's a guy (is that Tom?
2.gif
) carrying her jacket on the left. Perhaps they just ran into starbucks and are about to hop into a car? The shoes are disturbing, but I know that's been thoroughly discussed already. I thought kids that age often wear tights, especially if it's as cold as it looks.
33.gif
But most importantly, the kid's got her Starbucks!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 11:28:03 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
Looks like there''s a guy (is that Tom?
2.gif
) carrying her jacket on the left. Perhaps they just ran into starbucks and are about to hop into a car? The shoes are disturbing, but I know that''s been thoroughly discussed already. I thought kids that age often wear tights, especially if it''s as cold as it looks.
33.gif
But most importantly, the kid''s got her Starbucks!
Good eye
2.gif
I did not notice the guy in the left.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
2.gif
) carrying her jacket on the left.
Perhaps they just ran into starbucks and are about to hop into a car? The shoes are disturbing, but I know that''s been thoroughly discussed already. I thought kids that age often wear tights, especially if it''s as cold as it looks.
33.gif
Didn''t notice that at first - good eye. If they''re just going from Starbucks to the car, I don''t think anything''s wrong with it. And her jacket is available when she wants it. Sometimes kids have meltdowns, or get stubborn and don''t want to wear their jackets. And I think they''ve said that she gets to pick her own outfits (because, you know, Suri''s an amazing "woman" according to Katie), so I''m not surprised at the lack of tights - what kid would choose to wear those?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good eye on the jacket. Good thing I''m not a hollywood celebrity though...although I am all about giving Amelia choices on things to wear, I would not allow her to wear a dress like that (with no tights) if the day was that cold. But I have a feeling that Suri rules the roost....

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2010 11:38:49 AM
Author: princesss

2.gif
) carrying her jacket on the left.
Perhaps they just ran into starbucks and are about to hop into a car? The shoes are disturbing, but I know that''s been thoroughly discussed already. I thought kids that age often wear tights, especially if it''s as cold as it looks.
33.gif
Didn''t notice that at first - good eye. If they''re just going from Starbucks to the car, I don''t think anything''s wrong with it. And her jacket is available when she wants it. Sometimes kids have meltdowns, or get stubborn and don''t want to wear their jackets. And I think they''ve said that she gets to pick her own outfits (because, you know, Suri''s an amazing ''woman'' according to Katie), so I''m not surprised at the lack of tights - what kid would choose to wear those?
Great point! I didn''t even consider that Suri might refuse to wear tights! Haha, this is yet another reminder to me that I know nothing about kids!! Yikes!

April20

Ideal_Rock
When I was about five, I wanted to wear my favorite sundress to school in the middle of winter. I wouldn''t back down on it. My mom finally said I could wear it, but I had to wear tights, boots, a turtleneck under it and I think a sweater. She said I looked ridiculous. I wore this getup to school and never did it again. Me thinks something similar might be in order for this child......

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Suri looks like a pip and Katie looks like a pushover. I am not surprised in the least by this picture!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
i thought you were going to say the starbucks...wonder what she''s drinking? But i won''t judge by that. Sometimes when i am out i get Co a glass of water (b/c i refuse to buy water bottles) and it comes in the logo cup . i always wonder if ppl think i got my kid a soda or something.

And as for the coat, as someone who lives in a cold climate i know how hard it is to get a toddler to wear hat, coat, mitts, etc. and keep them on....i bet she refused and they just went on their merry way
20.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, I looked at the pic before reading your comment, and I didn''t notice anything odd at first. Now that I''ve read it, yeah, it does look a little odd. Not completely inappropriate though, but what do I know?

I have to say, I love Katie''s boots!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also have to say, even though it''s unrelated to the picture/thread, that I LOVE Suri''s name. I know they got a lot of flack (well, from what I''ve read and heard), but I think Suri''s name is really pretty. There''s a town in my home state called Surry, and I always thought it would be a cool name. Now it is! Okay, I''m done. Continue on...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
She''s been known to hate wearing a jacket or coat. But her Mom should put her foot down and make her wear one...

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
The Sbux could be hot chocolate, or steamed milk. They have a few kids options. I do think she should be forced to wear a coat though! I''m cold just looking at her!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My BFF''s son never wears a coat/jacket unless it''s FREEZING, as in cold enough to snow. He has sensory issues and the thought of layers and a heavy jacket puts his body and mind into overload. My BFF use to care that people thought she was a horrible mother for not making her DS wear a coat, but she got over that and no longer cares what people think. For her, it''s not worth the meltdown that''s going to happen. For all we know Suri has issues like that. She''s never seen in layers, pants, coats, etc. Or maybe they were running from Starbucks to the car and Katie didn''t want to deal with a coat, especially if Suri was going to have a fit over it. My DD hates wearing coats unless it''s pretty darn cold as well. But she''s always a little bit warmer than me and it''s only recently did I "get it" that just because I find it cold enough to wear a jacket, she might not. But she''s a teenager now so if she freezers her tush off, that''s her problem
11.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 4:48:26 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 6/3/2010 11:48:22 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Good eye on the jacket. Good thing I''m not a hollywood celebrity though...although I am all about giving Amelia choices on things to wear, I would not allow her to wear a dress like that (with no tights) if the day was that cold. But I have a feeling that Suri rules the roost....
I agree.. at the least!! And actually........ given that''s such a thin dress, its more of a summer dress than anything. While I did let my kids dress themselves, I was still adamant about them dressing for the season. One time Audrey wore her winter parka in 80 degree weather, she never did it again. It was an easy enough fix to take it off.. !
2.gif

(And I agree about Katie''s boots.. darling!)
BF still talks about his mom''s "November rule" - once November hit, they weren''t allowed to go outside without a jacket on. Period. Freakish 78* day? Put a jacket on. 30*? Good thing there''s the November rule!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Clearly I'm in the minority here, but I see no problem with her not wearing a coat, even if it's cold out. As the mother of a toddler, I know how important it is to pick your battles, not only because it reduces the number of tantrums, but also because it gives the child the very important experience of being able to make choices. As long as there are no health implications involved in not wearing a coat -- and we all know now that it's an old wives' tale that being out in the cold can actually give you a cold -- I see no reason to force a kid to wear something he/she doesn't want to! If she were cold enough to feel uncomfortable, I'm quite sure she'd ask for a coat!

ETA Kids tend to run warmer than adults -- mine sure does -- so I'm not sure the fact that Katie is wearing boots and a scarf means that Suri must be cold. Just like I'd never make my kid eat something if she said she wasn't hungry, I wouldn't force her to wear a coat if she said she wasn't cold.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
I'm seeing more and more little girls, just out of toddlerhood wearing tiny heels, its some kind of trend..

Just the other day in a store, a small child was clumping around in little heeled shoes. must have been 4 years old.

In my day, many a father would have keeled over, we all had to have sturdy shoes, preferably orthopedic and with laces, my dad thought sneakers where skimpy.... everyone had Saddle shoes, those were OK-- it was the 50's.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
The shoes bother me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2010 10:26:15 PM
Author: kennedy

Clearly I'm in the minority here, but I see no problem with her not wearing a coat, even if it's cold out.
It's a shame that with Pricescope 2.0 coming all the postings made now are supposed to disappear. Surely what I write here

today will be something that should be immortalized ;-). The subject matter alone (Suri Cruise) ensures that my posting will

meet the most exacting standards!

I think I fall somewhere between being completely lasissez-faire and and having a "November rule". I wouldn't allow my

toddler to go out into a 20 degree snowstorm in a bathing suit; on the other hand, I wouldn't have a hard and fast rule that

determined he had to wear a coat by a certain date even if the weather was warm and so was he. I do remember my

daughter refusing to wear a jacket when I was cold. I also know that I would never have allowed her out during the winter

(nor would she have wished to go) without appropriate covering. She usually wanted to go without a jacket when it was

just a few degrees cooler than I was comfortable in without a jacket. It really was a case of children running warmer. But I

absolutely agree that parents have to keep an eye on children to watch that they don't do inappropriate things like try to

swim in their favorite corduroy pants or whatever!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
2.gif
) carrying her jacket on the left. Perhaps they just ran into starbucks and are about to hop into a car? The shoes are disturbing, but I know that''s been thoroughly discussed already. I thought kids that age often wear tights, especially if it''s as cold as it looks.
33.gif

Can''t be! He''s too tall (based on where his hand is).

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another pic

9586.jpg

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I just found this pic, seems like she got cold
2.gif

alg_suri-cruise_katie-holmes.jpg

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I have a toddler who refuses to wear a jacket and if I do manage to get him into one, it''s on the ground in about 3 minutes. However, knowing that about him, I make sure his actual clothes are weather appropriate. If it''s cold outside, he has a long sleeved shirt and long pants on because I *know* the jacket isn''t going to stay on! If she hates coats, maybe she should be dressed warmer so that she doesn''t really need one? Tights would have been good at the very least... You do have to pick your battles, and it is good to let them learn natural consequences (don''t wear a coat= get cold) but this child always seems to be inappropriately dressed.

I read yesterday that she has her own iPad. Seriously??

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Eh, to me, no biggie!

I agree with the poster above that said you gotta choose your battles -- AND you've gotta teach children that there are consequences to their choices. So, if I thought she should have a jacket, but she didn't want to wear one, I'd say "OK" and probably wouldn't have even brought one along!!! (Depending on how long we were gonna be gone and what the expected temperature was supposed to be.) Honestly, I wouldn't wanna drag around a whiny, miserable, truuuuuly cold kid with chattering teeth for hoooooours
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
but if it was a relatively short trip and she got chilly and said, "I'm cold and want my jacket!" I can see myself just saying, "Gosh, we left the jacket at home, remember? You didn't want to wear it." I call those teaching moments!!!

And regarding the heels... I think maybe those ARE play shoes she's wearing out? Don't they look awfully big? Again, I'd probably allow that, too, (in fact, I have!) although my daughter's *real* dress shoes at Suri's age definitely wouldn't have been heels, at all!

Interesting how we all see things differently, huh?

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like even a toddler will get upset if they get cold. As others have said, you have to pick your battles. If they throw a fit about a jacket, then fine.. don''t make them wear it. When they are cold they will ask for it (or throw another tantrum..at which point they can put on their jacket). Just because the parents are cold doesn''t mean the child is cold..

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I do not have a problem with it. I don't get cold and if I weren't so militant about protecting my skin, I would almost always go bare armed. When I was Suri's age I NEVER wore my coat. The school gave up and just let me do my thing, until all the other kids wanted to try. Then they called my mom at work and begged her to make me wear a coat. She told them only a straight jacket might work, but even that she wouldn't count on. My mom is no pushover, her moniker at work was dragon lady, but she couldn't do it either. I managed to survive without any cold related health problems. I thought the problem with the pic was that she might have something in the cup not appropriate for a kid her age.
I also was a princess and wore dresses at all times and never with tights, even in December because they were itchy. The ONLY reason I ever wore anything under my dresses was because they wouldn't let me play on some of the playground equipment without more covering for deceny, not warmth.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
My brother was one of those "won''t wear a coat unless hell freezes over" types. He was an overall amazing kid, but hated coats. HATED. My mother chose her battles. She feels less bad now because he''s the guy who walked around his college campus in shorts and t-shirts in the dead of a Wisconsin winter.
20.gif

The other points, like mentioned, have been discussed ad nauseam. :)

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
When I was in college we had a few guys (we called them the "shorts guys") that wore shorts year round. It got cold in Western Massachusetts. They would wear a coat and a hat, but shorts on the bottom. Their explanation was that you lose most body heat from the head, so that was what they would cover up.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 11:48:22 AM
Author: TravelingGal
My thoughts exactly. I am guessing that they are of the mind that they should not say "No" to her because it will stifle her independence and her will
2.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results