shape
carat
color
clarity

Ultrasonic Cleaner Help!

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone...I know that I am obsessing over nothing but would love some reassurance. I researched at home ultrasonic cleaners before purchasing this one on amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-P...ons&keywords=magnasonic+jewelry+cleaner&psc=1

It seemed safe to use for optimal at home cleaning but now I am freaking out after hearing that ultrasonic machines can cause inclusions to worsen or crack. I have a Tiffany Solitaire ring with a VS1 diamond clarity (minor pinpoint inclusion barely viewable under a microscope.). I used the at home cleaner 3 times for about 3-4 minutes at a clip since I had the ring over the past 2 weeks. It did a beautiful job with the connoisseur concentrate. I was recently in Tiffany’s and looking at it under the scope. (Yes I’m nuts,). It seems exactly the same as it was and from eye sight it is perfectly clear. I’m just curious how prevalent this particular issue is with ultrasonic cleaners. Regardless, I will be sticking with the Tiffany or Connoisseur cleaner at home due to my paranoia. Thank you in advance for any knowledge or expertise you could pass along with regarding this issue guys!!

Also, I know there was a previous thread about this from years ago but my concern isn’t about pave settings loosening...just strictly about worsening inclusions a diamond.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone...I know that I am obsessing over nothing but would love some reassurance. I researched at home ultrasonic cleaners before purchasing this one on amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-P...ons&keywords=magnasonic+jewelry+cleaner&psc=1

It seemed safe to use for optimal at home cleaning but now I am freaking out after hearing that ultrasonic machines can cause inclusions to worsen or crack. I have a Tiffany Solitaire ring with a VS1 diamond clarity (minor pinpoint inclusion barely viewable under a microscope.). I used the at home cleaner 3 times for about 3-4 minutes at a clip since I had the ring over the past 2 weeks. It did a beautiful job with the connoisseur concentrate. I was recently in Tiffany’s and looking at it under the scope. (Yes I’m nuts,). It seems exactly the same as it was and from eye sight it is perfectly clear. I’m just curious how prevalent this particular issue is with ultrasonic cleaners. Regardless, I will be sticking with the Tiffany or Connoisseur cleaner at home due to my paranoia. Thank you in advance for any knowledge or expertise you could pass along with regarding this issue guys!!

Also, I know there was a previous thread about this from years ago but my concern isn’t about pave settings loosening...just strictly about worsening inclusions a diamond.

Following.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Where are you seeing that they can cause inclusions to open or crack?
Jewelers routinely put them in ultra sonic cleaners that are many orders of magnitude stronger than consumer models.

The biggest danger is a loose diamond acting like a chain saw and eating a prong.

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
Where are you seeing that they can cause inclusions to open or crack?
Jewelers routinely put them in ultra sonic cleaners that are many orders of magnitude stronger than consumer models.

The biggest danger is a loose diamond acting like a chain saw and eating a prong.

I read this on GIA website and a few other sites. They discuss “significant inclusions” such as feathers. The problem is what constitutes “significant inclusion.” I’ll look for the post and update here.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't worry about that. I thought the same thing as what Karl mentioned-a home model is way less powerful than the ones used by jewelers. If it bothers you, only use the steamer if your model has one. I received one for christmas and the steamer portion is freakin awesome. I steam my stuff pretty much every day.

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't worry about that. I thought the same thing as what Karl mentioned-a home model is way less powerful than the ones used by jewelers. If it bothers you, only use the steamer if your model has one. I received one for christmas and the steamer portion is freakin awesome. I steam my stuff pretty much every day.

Ok, good!! I don’t think I have a steamer on it but it eases my mind to remember that it is an at-home grade and much less powerful. I also didn’t leave it in there for a long time nor is it a low clarity grade.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have that same ultrasonic and have had it for years now. It’s great and cleans my jewelry well. I did lose a diamond out of one of my vintage bands (ebay) the second time I cleaned it after buying it. BUT… the diamond was already loose before I put it in the ultrasonic. And having it come out in the ultrasonic was a good thing. Why? Because I knew where it was, and was able to take it out and get repaired. That diamond would have fallen out either way. This way I didn’t lose it.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
An ultrasonic will never cause any troubles with a VS1 diamond with pinpoints. Ever.

When these sites are talking about lower clarity diamonds with durability issues, they're referring to Maul store, I1 clarity diamonds with feathers that run halfway through the stone and completely through the girdle. A properly-graded Tiffany VS1 is in no way a "low clarity" diamond.

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
I have that same ultrasonic and have had it for years now. It’s great and cleans my jewelry well. I did lose a diamond out of one of my vintage bands (ebay) the second time I cleaned it after buying it. BUT… the diamond was already loose before I put it in the ultrasonic. And having it come out in the ultrasonic was a good thing. Why? Because I knew where it was, and was able to take it out and get repaired. That diamond would have fallen out either way. This way I didn’t lose it.

That’s good to know! Glad you like it!

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
An ultrasonic will never cause any troubles with a VS1 diamond with pinpoints. Ever.

When these sites are talking about lower clarity diamonds with durability issues, they're referring to Maul store, I1 clarity diamonds with feathers that run halfway through the stone and completely through the girdle. A properly-graded Tiffany VS1 is in no way a "low clarity" diamond.

Thank goodness! That’s what I thought but I just started getting worried lol. Thank you!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seemed safe to use for optimal at home cleaning but now I am freaking out after hearing that ultrasonic machines can cause inclusions to worsen or crack.
IMO, just a bunch of B.S.!
My stone is set on a tension setting. I use a powerful US cleaner almost everyday. Yeah, The US cleaner might shake the stone loose.
nuts.gif
:lol:

2.35i.jpg US.JPG

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
IMO, just a bunch of B.S.!
My stone is set on a tension setting. I use a powerful US cleaner almost everyday. Yeah, The US cleaner might shake the stone loose.
nuts.gif
:lol:

2.35i.jpg US.JPG
Wow! Gorgeous diamond and setting!! Never seen anything like it!! Would love to see a mod shot on your hand :clap:

And thanks for your feedback!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same ultrasonic as well. To put things in perspective, this one is meant to clean eyeglasses as well as jewelry. I doubt they would sell it for eyeglasses if you could pop a screw every time you clean your glasses. ;-):cool2::geek2::sun:

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
What model do you have, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@Karl_K, given a diamond, even I clarities, that made it from many miles under the ground and through the cutting process, as well as through setting... wouldn’t it at that point be able to withstand ultrasonic, both professional or consumer versions?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K, given a diamond, even I clarities, that made it from many miles under the ground and through the cutting process, as well as through setting... wouldn’t it at that point be able to withstand ultrasonic, both professional or consumer versions?
Not always for example: knots.
Remember diamond is used to grind diamond into shape and polish it.
Diamonds in contact with something but can move when vibrated at high speed act like grinding wheels or even saw blades.
This is true of lose knots or lose prongs.
The same can be said for cracks that allow parts to vibrate against each other.
Like I said above it just has enough truth not to be total BS but it is not the usual case.

To put it simply and this applies to diamond and more often settings an ultrasonic can make existing problems worse, and or expose them.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Not always for example: knots.
Remember diamond is used to grind diamond into shape and polish it.
Diamonds in contact with something but can move when vibrated at high speed act like grinding wheels or even saw blades.
This is true of lose knots or lose prongs.
The same can be said for cracks that allow parts to vibrate against each other.
Like I said above it just has enough truth not to be total BS but it is not the usual case.

To put it simply and this applies to diamond and more often settings an ultrasonic can make existing problems worse, and or expose them.
Thank you!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pendant that the ultrasonic knocked a stone out of. It is a channel invisible set multi colored sapphire pendant. Two rows of 5 or 6 stones. A stone in the middle came out. I will have it repaired eventually. It can and does happen but I still love my ultra sonic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results