shape
carat
color
clarity

Uh-oh I think I want to reset my blue-green ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
After wearing the blue-green ring around the last few days, I''m finding that it''s just way too big and flashy, and I''d much prefer something simpler. I know I just set it, and I''m not going to do the reset right away, but I''d really like to do it this summer. And I''m pretty sure I want Jim Meyer to do this one - in either Coati''s setting or Butterbean''s. So what do you think? Which setting, if at all?

Ring:

BEGBlueGreenTourmalineRing4b.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Coati''s setting, the JM 1345

BEGJM1345.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Butterbean''s, the JM 1278:

BEGJM1278.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
A few other notes: so the 1278 is a bit more expensive. The ring would be in in 18 kt gold. Can''t decide between plated white gold and unplated white gold (like Coati has) but I think I''m leaning towards plated.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Coati''s!!!! Unplated!!!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 1:03:24 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Coati''s!!!! Unplated!!!!

Enabler!
3.gif

Btw, I have shoes on the way...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which ones?!?!?!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 1:06:13 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Which ones?!?!?!

The two Charles David ones - one in gold and one silver (silver ones for the wedding). Yay!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually really like the setting that you already have for the stone. Do you have any hand shots to show how big it is on your hand?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Butterbean''s - it would be a bit more interesting with this stone.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would look great in Coati''s setting

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Think I would go with Coati''s too. And what do you mean by TOO flashy?!?!
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it in there. One thing to note, since you already bezeled a stone in there, will be be easy and inexpensive to reuse that ring for another stone?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean about too flashy. I LOVE to look at and admire other people''s halo rings and sparkly pave settings, but I have small hands and wear tanks/hoodie and jeans on most days, lol. So I doubt I''ll ever wear the larger halos myself, though I love admiring them!

I vote Coati''s too :)

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love Coati''s, always have. But the setting you have right now is pretty.

When you say flashy, what do you mean?? The side diamonds? I think any ring with a substantial size stone is going to look ''flashy'' (I''d use the word gorgeous, myself) on your tinsy, winsy finger..

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you must tear that lovely setting apart, I say Coati''s! I love the simple elegance of it. While lovely, I am not sure about the leaves added on. Maybe you can do something in between that will have your own "twist" to it. What will you do with the LOGR setting? Will it be usable for another stone if you take out the old stone? If not, I wouldn''t mess with it. It really is Gorgeous!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi BEG
35.gif
35.gif

I vote for Coati''s too. While I adore both settings. I think your stone, will look perfect in her setting.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Brown Eyed Girl!!!!! you just got that ring!?!

However, having said that (and i mean this in the nicest possible way) i think that unbelievable b/g tourmaline will look much more attractive in a JM setting - i couldn''t agree with you more. I think the LOGR setting is really pretty, but the stone seems a *little* lost in there for me....and that stone is really just incredible. I am just basing MO on the pics from your avatar versus the pics of the new ring - a beautiful bezel solitaire like that will really highlight the stone!

i think i like the butterbean setting for your stone a wee bit more than coati''s, but both are fabulous!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi BEG! It's funny, I actually wondered if you'd feel this way after seeing hand shots of your ring. The proportions of the ring itself are beautiful, the workmanship seems quite good, but on your slim, elegant fingers (they're size 4.5, right?) it does look a little large. I also think the bezel is a wee too thick, but I know it had to accommodate your stone. Having said that, though, I don't think it looks gaudy or "old lady" in the least - you just need to be comfortable with it. And, I wondered the same thing as TL: will you be able to re-use the LOGR setting (I could see your mom liking it!)?

I like Coati's JM the best, and I think plating it would really bring out the glow in your stone.

I always feel a little let down when I don't have any jewelry projects going on, so it's nice that I get to think about yours.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. Yeah the handshots show that the halo covers her entire finger, and compared to the rest of her rings, it''s ENORMOUS.

I also think that the halo overwhelms the beauty of that stone.

What if you did coati''s but had that little stone on each side like butterbeans? (That is a stone right?)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d choose the butterbean because it doesn''t look too much like an e-ring.

Can the current setting be "saved"? I''ve been told by a jeweller that it''s difficult to remove a stone from a bezel setting and preserve the setting at the same time.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really love the color of your stone! I would pick Coati''s for your stone, tho I do think they''re both gorgeous. I''m not sure if I''d pick plated or unplated..first I think one way, then I change my mind.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Coati''s or something similar.....welcome to the dark side [diamond halo not required].

mz

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your current setting looks really pretty but I would prefer Coati''s setting to make the stone stand out more.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone so much for taking the time to respond! I''m so ... kind of disappointed I guess ... that this current setting didn''t work out. I just love the bezel setting...but I don''t love the finished product and I DO love my stone enough that I want something else for it that will really suit it.

CravingDiamonds, I do have hand shots - here is a link. It''s really big - I already have a big halo (the LOGR prong-set 7x7 halo) but this is even bigger.

Ma re, I really love BB''s because of the leaf detail - I''m hesitating a little on whether Coati''s will suit it better since it''s a little simpler and go better with the cooler tone of the stone (I was thinking of BB''s for my pink/peach malaya eventually). Thoughts?

BlingAddict and IceKid, thanks! IceKid, too flashy because of the height, more than the width of the halo. Um...I don''t mind how wide it spreads on my finger but the vertical width is too much...it covers a lot of distance to my knuckle and makes my finger look much shorter, and then halo is almost too big. I kind of feel like it looks a bit like costume jewelry
7.gif

TL, thanks
1.gif
I''m not sure actually. If I do go through with this I''ll send the ring as is to Jim and ask him. If he can salvage the setting I''ll ask him what he thinks of the possibility of setting something else in there.

MTG, thanks! And yes, exactly! This is something that looks like I''d swoon over it if I saw it on someone else - and that''s not a good feeling to have about your own ring right?

Thanks Mochi! I think really the width of the halo. The setting, even though it''s for a smaller stone, definitely came out bigger than my 7x7 LOGR, and that really was the max limit I could go on size.

CCN, if I can I''d love to reuse the LOGR...and see if I could size it larger. I think it''s something my mom would love and the size is right up where she likes her rings. And thank you!

Hi Linda! Thanks - it seems that most people are leaning towards Coati''s and that''s where I was leaning too. Any thoughts on plated v. unplated white gold?
1.gif

Violet, I know! I''m terrible
7.gif
And I think you''re totally right about the stone being a little lost - between the diamonds and the size, the stone doesn''t take centerstage like I would like it too. And thank you!

Hi Cellentani! Aw thanks for the compliment about my fingers. And yes, it looks huge! I''ve been wearing it everyday since I got it, and I love the stone (I''m sure the stone is happy to be out of its little box and able to get out in the sun!
3.gif
) but the setting distracts me. Plus it''s top heavy so it slides sideways ALL the time - and it''s currently a 3.5 and I can''t size it smaller since it won''t fit my knuckle. So all in all, I think it''s time to make a change. I think you need to start a new project! Mother''s Day is coming up....

Freke, seriously, enormous is right! Yep, it''s a small yellow diamond I think. I could ask Jim and see what he thinks - that''d be a really cute subtle touch.

Chrono, I hope the current setting can be. If not, I guess I chalk it up to a loss and learn from it. Thank goodness I didn''t pay the Buy It Now price....

Packrat, thanks! Haha I know. I LOVE the look of unplated like Coati has but then I think plated might show the stone color off more....

MZ, dark side is right!
3.gif
This is my first reset...and it hit so soon after getting the ring.
32.gif

Thanks Marcy! I definitely agree.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I just posted with these two settings (and I hadn''t seen you post)! I also love coati and butterbean''s settings! They are sooooo beautiful. I want one for my cc sapphire, but not sure if I should go Bezel. Have just emailed James Meyer asking if he would consider doing a prong setting (but I don''t ''fancy my chances'' as my mother would say). I think you should go for Coati''s. But Butterbean''s is beautiful too- I am sorry, its too hard. Whatever you decide, I think your gem will look absolutely stunning.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 6:45:00 PM
Author: mousey
I just posted with these two settings (and I hadn''t seen you post)! I also love coati and butterbean''s settings! They are sooooo beautiful. I want one for my cc sapphire, but not sure if I should go Bezel. Have just emailed James Meyer asking if he would consider doing a prong setting (but I don''t ''fancy my chances'' as my mother would say). I think you should go for Coati''s. But Butterbean''s is beautiful too- I am sorry, its too hard. Whatever you decide, I think your gem will look absolutely stunning.
I''m not 100%, but I don''t think Jim will do prongs - if you read on his site, he discusses why he thinks bezels are better -
I think thats just his style, and there isn''t anything on his site in prongs.

BEG, I''m sorry you don''t love your new ring - I agree with others that it should be in a home you love.
Of course, I''m biased and vote for Coat''s style in unplated WG with plat accents
5.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

They ARE incredibly beautiful! And with AJ''s garnet 1345 and Cind''s sapphire 1345, we definitely know for sure that it looks fantastic with colored stones too
1.gif
Oh btw, since you''re thinking about setting your sapphire, have you seen Cind''s thread?

It IS hard! But thank you - I''m so excited to get this reset off the ground!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 10:42:24 PM
Author: arjunajane

I''m not 100%, but I don''t think Jim will do prongs - if you read on his site, he discusses why he thinks bezels are better -

I think thats just his style, and there isn''t anything on his site in prongs.

BEG, I''m sorry you don''t love your new ring - I agree with others that it should be in a home you love.

Of course, I''m biased and vote for Coat''s style in unplated WG with plat accents
5.gif

Hi AJ! Can you come to Chicago and take some flower pics for me? I just love yours - and love your new av!

I do love the idea of unplated WG and plat accents....I wonder if the slightly darker color (versus plated WG) will make the stone pop even more? So confused!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 3:37:18 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 4/18/2009 10:42:24 PM
Author: arjunajane

I just posted with these two settings (and I hadn't seen you post)! I also love coati and butterbean's settings! They are sooooo beautiful. I want one for my cc sapphire, but not sure if I should go Bezel. Have just emailed James Meyer asking if he would consider doing a prong setting (but I don't 'fancy my chances' as my mother would say). I think you should go for Coati's. But Butterbean's is beautiful too- I am sorry, its too hard. Whatever you decide, I think your gem will look absolutely stunning.

I'm not 100%, but I don't think Jim will do prongs - if you read on his site, he discusses why he thinks bezels are better -

I think thats just his style, and there isn't anything on his site in prongs.

BEG, I'm sorry you don't love your new ring - I agree with others that it should be in a home you love.

Of course, I'm biased and vote for Coat's style in unplated WG with plat accents
5.gif

Hi AJ! Can you come to Chicago and take some flower pics for me? I just love yours - and love your new av!

I do love the idea of unplated WG and plat accents....I wonder if the slightly darker color (versus plated WG) will make the stone pop even more? So confused!
Hey again,
sure I'd love to, you getting the flight?!
9.gif
2.gif

Thankyou hon.
I know, there are alot of fun choices, but honestly - I'd just send it to Jim when you're ready and get his advice, I really do trust his eye implicitly
5.gif

Personally, I think the unplated WG just makes it a lil more different and so more special, kwim?
I'm very happy with having such an individual ring, I would bet its the only one in Aus!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results