shape
carat
color
clarity

Typical B&M Stores

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

3cd4her

Rough_Rock
Typical B&M stores are ridiculous. The associates at about 60% of the stores I''ve been to have always veered me away from a 6 prong if I''m looking at a 4 prong I like and question whether they can do 6 prongs. They basically make me feel stupid for wanting a 6 prong or this or that. On top of that they have no idea what they are talking about above color, clarity, and carat.

On that note I am thankful for this site, everyone that is so helpful on this site, and all the vendors here who work so hard to get us what we want. There is no reason why a customer spending however much money can''t get their way within limitations in a world where no two things are the same and most things can be customized!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As much as this site apearing to work in the favor of non-traditional B&M stores, the fact remains that over 90% of diamonds for engagement rings come from B&M retailers. I am afraid you have not gone to a good B&M store just yet. It sounds like you have fished at the bottom of the barel so far at retailers who are parts of major chains where "associates" often have much less knowledge or flexibility. You ought to pick out two or three privately owned, family operated jewelry stores in your region which will more than likely be able to offer flexible service and a world of personal, quality assistance.

No doubt, B&M retailers are inding diamonds to be less profitable than in decades past and they must reduce their emphasis on centering their business around diamond sales. What you need is one of these refocused businesses where mountings and customization are the key to their future success. Then you''ll get advice, service and cooperation.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 9:37:13 AM
Author: oldminer
As much as this site apearing to work in the favor of non-traditional B&M stores, the fact remains that over 90% of diamonds for engagement rings come from B&M retailers. I am afraid you have not gone to a good B&M store just yet. It sounds like you have fished at the bottom of the barel so far at retailers who are parts of major chains where 'associates' often have much less knowledge or flexibility. You ought to pick out two or three privately owned, family operated jewelry stores in your region which will more than likely be able to offer flexible service and a world of personal, quality assistance.

No doubt, B&M retailers are inding diamonds to be less profitable than in decades past and they must reduce their emphasis on centering their business around diamond sales. What you need is one of these refocused businesses where mountings and customization are the key to their future success. Then you'll get advice, service and cooperation.
Thanks for your response, Dave. I have purchased much of my jewelry from a B&M in my area. The owner and staff are extremely knowledgeable. The owner and I have gotten into many detailed discussions about proportions, finish, CA, PA, and other technical aspects of diamonds. The staff just rolls their eyes...because we're at it again
2.gif
They have skilled bench jewelers on site for repairs and custom work. It is more expensive to buy from this jeweler, but there are a number of advantages in terms of services. I am a pretty demanding customer and I have never been charged for any service or repairs. There is a place for both internet and B&M jewelers.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 11:04:42 AM
Author: risingsun
There is a place for both internet and B&M jewelers.

Ditto--I have worked with several B&M stores that I love. Also, many B&Ms also double as online stores, so when we are extolling the virtues of the online store--we are often praising a B&M by happenstance. Drop shippers are online only, and I'm not particularly fond of that type of vendor--deal or no. A good vendor is a good vendor.

3cd4her

Rough_Rock
It sounds like you have fished at the bottom of the barel so far at retailers who are parts of major chains where ''associates'' often have much less knowledge or flexibility. You ought to pick out two or three privately owned, family operated jewelry stores in your region which will more than likely be able to offer flexible service and a world of personal, quality assistance.

They were not mall retail stores and were all in fact small independently owned. Along with that they were all in upscale areas where you would think you could trust the associates. Maybe I just got stuck with the bad sales associates then.

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
As much as this site appearing to work in the favor of non-traditional B&M stores, the fact remains that over 90% of diamonds for engagement rings come from B&M retailers. I am afraid you have not gone to a good B&M store just yet. It sounds like you have fished at the bottom of the barrel so far at retailers who are parts of major chains where ''associates'' often have much less knowledge or flexibility. You ought to pick out two or three privately owned, family operated jewelry stores in your region which will more than likely be able to offer flexible service and a world of personal, quality assistance.

Well said, David.

The problem is indeed not with the all B&Ms; it is with some of them.

But I understand your point about the problematic B&Ms, 3cd -- those with unknowledgeable workers who are more concerned with their commission than with getting you a good ring. They are quite frustrating to deal with, and, of course, you simply DO NOT deal with them.

Bottom line: A good vendor is a good vendor, and a bad vendor is a bad one -- whether they are a B&M, online store, or both!

AndyMN

Rough_Rock
Trade

Just as in any shopping experience you're going to run in to good stores and bad stores, you'll encounter quality associates and worthless ones. The idea behind the shopping experience, obviously, is to weed out the places with whom you don't feel comfortable doing business. From your brief comment above it sounds to me as though you're looking for a full service store with a knowledgeable staff who are more concerned with listening to what you want rather than to push their agenda on you. I would suggest you look for a place that has an in house shop with great goldsmiths who can make any adjustments that you'd like (such as a crown and setting your diamond) in a quality and timely manner on the premises. This way they'll have the capabilities to adjust the ring how you'd like and don't simply have to push what they have in their case. This also gives them the ability to check and clean your ring once you've made a selection, but more importantly, help you to maintain your ring throughout its life.

When you're in these stores shopping, even if you don't feel comfortable with the store, take a look at their inventory to get an idea of what styles and designers you like. When it comes time to continue shopping, hop on the designers site and see who else sells them in your area. I'd make suggestions as to designers that make beautiful and quality pieces but I'm not sure that I'm allowed to on the forum? Quality stores tend to carry top quality designers. Don't just look for quality ring designers; be on the lookout for shops in your area that carry the top cut diamonds on the market. If a customer is going to put in the time it takes to research quality diamonds and look for the best they're obviously going to want to have their diamond set into a quality (and beautiful) ring and set by a top notch goldsmith, perhaps a JA certified master goldsmith! You are correct though, stores similar to what I have described above are definitely "Atypical".
Happy hunting and please keep us posted as to how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results