Two Asschers w/ASETs - Please Help Choose

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, love the 1.8 mil stone!

I do agree you have to see asschers in person anyway.

A gal can dream :love:

I am eager to hear back from JA. If it is close, I may get both and decide based on an in-person eval. But I am hoping the JA input makes it easier and that I don't need to do that.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:cry2:...
300_21115.gif

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cokitty Nick Saban said he didn't want to play UGA again after that last SECC game. ;)2

Tough break for Tua for the Heisman. :(2

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found their gemologist assessments to be puzzling at times, so I wouldn't let what they say enter into your decision-making. I have come to believe that their sole purpose is just to complete a sale of one of the diamonds the person is considering, and they don't always have the same perspective as people here. I'd go by the visual evidence! If you are still uncertain, I'd see if I could put them both on a cc to just look at and then buy the one you want by wire, if you wanted to pay by wire.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found their gemologist assessments to be puzzling at times, so I wouldn't let what they say enter into your decision-making. I have come to believe that their sole purpose is just to complete a sale of one of the diamonds the person is considering, and they don't always have the same perspective as people here. I'd go by the visual evidence! If you are still uncertain, I'd see if I could put them both on a cc to just look at and then buy the one you want by wire, if you wanted to pay by wire.

Thank you for that heads up, DS; I appreciate it. I am more interested in the ASET for the ‘I’ at this point ... still waiting on that.

One thing I noticed between the J & I is the taper on the corners. Is there an appreciable difference between how they are cut? See the red areas.
EF983BC4-9BD0-4FC8-AD8D-5D09BAB44518.jpeg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have to see in real life for a step cut. But I am a color snob and would take the I over the J all other things near equal.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you can see, the J has skinnier windmills (X facets) and therefore, the corners taper in more. I personally prefer the cut on the I with the wider X facets.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then ... there were three. The deeply-clipped corners, tall crown, hall of mirrors, medium blue flouro ...

I cannot get an ASET since BN doesn’t do them apparently. My only concern is the center ... I cannot tell if it has leakage or may go dark. Thoughts? (And yes, I am still waiting for JA to provide their feedback on the other two, but this one kinda has my heart pitter-pattering. :love:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then ... there were three. The deeply-clipped corners, tall crown, hall of mirrors, medium blue flouro ...

I cannot get an ASET since BN doesn’t do them apparently. My only concern is the center ... I cannot tell if it has leakage or may go dark. Thoughts? (And yes, I am still waiting for JA to provide their feedback on the other two, but this one kinda has my heart pitter-pattering. :love:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true
Personal opinion, of course, but I do like that :)

Bit of 'tilt-windowing' on the windmill facets when it's rotated, but that's quite common, from what I can see.

ASET would be useful in checking if they grey facets under the table when head-on are reflecting the surroundings or being a bit leaky, but it is also only one angle of all of the ones you'd view it at...

You could order it for assessment and order an ASETscope as well, so you could analyse it (and any other stones you have / are looking at) yourself - you'd just need to confirm the Returns process and any costs/insurance required. :))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personal opinion, of course, but I do like that :)

Bit of 'tilt-windowing' on the windmill facets when it's rotated, but that's quite common, from what I can see.

ASET would be useful in checking if they grey facets under the table when head-on are reflecting the surroundings or being a bit leaky, but it is also only one angle of all of the ones you'd view it at...

You could order it for assessment and order an ASETscope as well, so you could analyse it (and any other stones you have / are looking at) yourself - you'd just need to confirm the Returns process and any costs/insurance required. :))

Thank you @OoohShiny I originally set out looking for one more octagonal in shape, but couldn’t find any in my budget that were close to the size I really wanted. This one was ‘hiding’ on BN because they had it grouped with Emerald cuts vs. Asschers.

It is located in the U.S., so they are having their ‘vault manager’ pull it for assessment, and I asked that they check for leakage/performance under the table. She said I would likely hear back today, so I’m pretty excited. When I saw this one, I immediately got a severe case of ‘da feels’ that makes me think this may be THE one. :appl:

It does have an old GIA report (2004), so I’m thinking it may have been a trade-in.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @OoohShiny I originally set out looking for one more octagonal in shape, but couldn’t find any in my budget that were close to the size I really wanted. This one was ‘hiding’ on BN because they had it grouped with Emerald cuts vs. Asschers.

It is located in the U.S., so they are having their ‘vault manager’ pull it for assessment, and I asked that they check for leakage/performance under the table. She said I would likely hear back today, so I’m pretty excited. When I saw this one, I immediately got a severe case of ‘da feels’ that makes me think this may be THE one. :appl:

It does have an old GIA report (2004), so I’m thinking it may have been a trade-in.
Sometimes things are meant to be - may this be one of those times! :))

You could perhaps request that it's resubmitted to GIA, to confirm it is not damaged etc., but you might run the risk that they bump the price if it slips over a colour/clarity grade boundary??

If you are confident, you could inspect it yourself, or you could alternatively send it to a qualified appraiser!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes things are meant to be - may this be one of those times! :))

You could perhaps request that it's resubmitted to GIA, to confirm it is not damaged etc., but you might run the risk that they bump the price if it slips over a colour/clarity grade boundary??

If you are confident, you could inspect it yourself, or you could alternatively send it to a qualified appraiser!

Thank you; I will consider that option (the re-grading) when I hear back from them with their assessment.

I’m really curious about the GIA symmetry grade of ‘good’ given it was graded in 2004. I’m wondering if there is any change in their standards from them of what ‘good’ meant vs. today. Like, did they consider the more deeply-clipped corners to be ‘good’ vs. ‘very good’ or ‘excellent’ at that time, or do the facet junctions actually not meet up too well, resulting in less than desireable performance. :confused::???:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you; I will consider that option (the re-grading) when I hear back from them with their assessment.

I’m really curious about the GIA symmetry grade of ‘good’ given it was graded in 2004. I’m wondering if there is any change in their standards from them of what ‘good’ meant vs. today. Like, did they consider the more deeply-clipped corners to be ‘good’ vs. ‘very good’ or ‘excellent’ at that time, or do the facet junctions actually not meet up too well, resulting in less than desireable performance. :confused::???:

I have a VG Policy and G symmetry asscher. You can do to my post and see all the videos on it. Frankly speaking, I was so focused on the data when I was searching for a loose stone. However, I abandoned all I've known when I see my ring. It is very sparkly. And my appraiser who has worked with Harry Winston and etc. in NYC told me this stone has a great cut -- based on the visual after he consulted and graded millions of stones in the heart of the diamond district. All I am saying is that when you get the stone and play with to for a bit in different lighting environment, you will know if you are going to keep it or not. :geek2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The BN option seems best: beautiful and interesting...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Whoa. Buy that and see it in person. It’s technically an emerald since it’s 1.05 and it’s deep, but wow. Looks amazing.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa. Buy that and see it in person. It’s technically an emerald since it’s 1.05 and it’s deep, but wow. Looks amazing.
Am I right in thinking that an EC has to have a keel rather than a pointed culet?? :ugeek:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know,

But I’m figuring the person kept it for 14 years before trading in, so I assume it’s a good stone,
I like your reasoning :))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a VG Policy and G symmetry asscher. You can do to my post and see all the videos on it. Frankly speaking, I was so focused on the data when I was searching for a loose stone. However, I abandoned all I've known when I see my ring. It is very sparkly. And my appraiser who has worked with Harry Winston and etc. in NYC told me this stone has a great cut -- based on the visual after he consulted and graded millions of stones in the heart of the diamond district. All I am saying is that when you get the stone and play with to for a bit in different lighting environment, you will know if you are going to keep it or not. :geek2:

Thank you; I’ll go hunt down your asscher vids. :dance:

The BN option seems best: beautiful and interesting...

Thank you; I thought so as well. Everything about it (in the video) just looks so pleasing to me, especially those wider windmills ... :love:

Thank you; I’m rather excited to see it as well. This was the only one I’ve found in all my searching that was more octagonal AND had the taller crown in the size range I wanted, albeit a smidge higher than I’d like to spend. But I got ‘feels’ looking at it that I did not/do not get from the JA stones. :shifty: I hope they hurry up with the assessment so I can perhaps get an order placed today/tomorrow and get this baby in my hands quickly. So glad it’s actually on U.S. soil vs. the overseas wait-and-see game with virtual inventory stones.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know,

But I’m figuring the person kept it for 14 years before trading in, so I assume it’s a good stone,

I hope you’re right.

And I think it had to have just recently come into their inventory because I’ve actually made a point to check both Asscher & Emerald cuts, in the event there was a quirk or fluke sort of diamond that might have been just a smidge off or even miscategorized.

I will also ask why it was in Emerald cuts to confirm your thoughts around it being 1.05 ratio. I thought Asscher ratios spanned 1 - 1.05, but am definitely likely mistaken.

Reactions: AV_

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you; I’ll go hunt down your asscher vids. :dance:

Thank you; I thought so as well. Everything about it (in the video) just looks so pleasing to me, especially those wider windmills ... :love:

Thank you; I’m rather excited to see it as well. This was the only one I’ve found in all my searching that was more octagonal AND had the taller crown in the size range I wanted, albeit a smidge higher than I’d like to spend. But I got ‘feels’ looking at it that I did not/do not get from the JA stones. :shifty: I hope they hurry up with the assessment so I can perhaps get an order placed today/tomorrow and get this baby in my hands quickly. So glad it’s actually on U.S. soil vs. the overseas wait-and-see game with virtual inventory stones.

Enjoy those videos...It shall give you some idea of the J color, and I feel that you can be confident with your choice. :kiss2: Only thing to note that because your stone is going to be much deeper than mine, it could show more body color. I saw an gorgeous true asscher at the Kwiat store over the weekend. It was a 6ct K, and I have to say it was quite lemony, but truly brilliant.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

To use a line from of one of my favourite K-Pop groups and one particular song of theirs...

43116420-2024-4846-9CC5-C675FA277C9A.gif

“Me likey, me likey likey likey, me likey likey likey, doo doo doo doo doo doo, like like”

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m wrong. 1.05 is acceptible for asscher. Emerald is around 1.25.

My brain doesn’t work these days o_O

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To use a line from of one of my favourite K-Pop groups and one particular song of theirs...

43116420-2024-4846-9CC5-C675FA277C9A.gif

“Me likey, me likey likey likey, me likey likey likey, doo doo doo doo doo doo, like like”

I’m not up to speed on K-pop, so I had to go look that song up. :lol:

I haven’t gotten the feedback from BN yet and hoping it comes back before the JA feedback so I am not feeling pressured to decide in either direction. JA said I would have 24 hours once they provide the feedback to decide before releasing the holds. But honestly, I really feel like the BN stone is ‘it’ because I’m not sweating the budget increase to buy it if I go that route. :whistle:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not up to speed on K-pop, so I had to go look that song up. :lol:

I haven’t gotten the feedback from BN yet and hoping it comes back before the JA feedback so I am not feeling pressured to decide in either direction. JA said I would have 24 hours once they provide the feedback to decide before releasing the holds. But honestly, I really feel like the BN stone is ‘it’ because I’m not sweating the budget increase to buy it if I go that route. :whistle:

I was swooning when I saw that stone on the bus ride into work this morning.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a reply from BN very early this morning that said:

Thank your for your patience! My team confirmed the diamond and let me know that there is no negative effects on LD01850586.

Please let us know if you have more questions!

I had specifically asked for assessment of fluorescence (e.g., any haziness/cloudiness impacts), confirmation the clarity remains unchanged from the 2004 GIA report, and if there appeared to be any leakage under the table (since they don’t/won’t take or provide ASET).

The response I received seems a little too ‘generic’ given my specific questions. Maybe I should call them to discuss, as my previous convo was via their Chat/IM function. :confused:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I got a reply from BN very early this morning that said:

I had specifically asked for assessment of fluorescence (e.g., any haziness/cloudiness impacts), confirmation the clarity remains unchanged from the 2004 GIA report, and if there appeared to be any leakage under the table (since they don’t/won’t take or provide ASET).

The response I received seems a little too ‘generic’ given my specific questions. Maybe I should call them to discuss, as my previous convo was via their Chat/IM function. :confused:

Why don't you just buy it and if you don't like then return it? I feel that's the best instead of you trying to pull your hair off waiting for a response after your question. I've been there, and I then realized that nothing is better than seeing it in person. Good luck.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you just buy it and if you don't like then return it? I feel that's the best instead of you trying to pull your hair off waiting for a response after your question. I've been there, and I then realized that nothing is better than seeing it in person. Good luck.
That's kinda what I am thinking. I ordered an aset scope from AGS yesterday (though I didn't see an confirmation email come thru yet) and I just tried to call my BN rep, but got her VM. I am going to try and buy today in hopes they can/will overnight it so I can get it tomorrow or maybe Sunday/Monday. Since it's on hold, I have to buy via phone vs online.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results