clarity

Tweets from a lunatic

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1486506124|4125639 said:
AGBF|1486505736|4125637 said:
katharath|1486502654|4125610 said:
Ok. If you haven't heard of Trump and the "bathrobe debacle", I encourage you to read this article. Then enjoy scrolling through the tweets within :)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/photos-trump-bathrobe-flood-twitter-072403094.html

I didn't know who Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson were until I read this, but it appears that Trump felt vicariously cuckolded by Stewart and the only remedy for his anger and hurt was to have Pattinson act the way he wanted him to! (Which didn't happen.) Crazy!!!

AGBF

You were never dragged to a Twilight movie by one or both of your pre tween and teenage girls?

I was, unfortunately. All 3 I believe.

No. I missed the entire "Twilight" phenomenon. My daughter is now 24. How old are yours, ruby? I listened to rap music in my car on the way to schools and camp for years as I drove carpools. (Also some hip hop which was a bit less atrocious.)That was a horror and I will always remember the music. But I never read or saw "Twilight" and only have a vague idea what it's about (vampires).

Deb :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think now might be a good time to consider what the response would be from the right if ANY prominent Dem ever talked this way (on an open platform, with his or her own hands, for everyone to see). Just imagine it. If Obama, HRC, ANYONE tweeted ONE of these things there would be a right meltdown. Bit since it's Trump, let's give him a chance. VOMIT.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1486519418|4125749 said:
Latest.

So, in Trumpland, it's the Dems fault that Trump has nominated so many unqualified people; that his transition team reportedly had no one in mind for ANY of the positions bc they didn't expect to win in the first place; that NONE of the appointees were prevetted, as is typical; and that Trump hasn't even attempted to fill almost *700* positions, which are still wide open.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/06/513769962/senate-dogged-by-delays-in-confirmations-for-trump-cabinet-nominees

Yeah, Spicer mentioned that at the press con this afternoon. Started chastising democrats at about 4:30 into the attached video. Spicer said Pence had to get involved because of dems and people would remember that. Later a reporter mentioned that two repubs voted against DeVos and asked if (I think Trump IIRC) would remember that, lol.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
mary poppins|1486522668|4125778 said:
Latest.

So, in Trumpland, it's the Dems fault that Trump has nominated so many unqualified people; that his transition team reportedly had no one in mind for ANY of the positions bc they didn't expect to win in the first place; that NONE of the appointees were prevetted, as is typical; and that Trump hasn't even attempted to fill almost *700* positions, which are still wide open.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/06/513769962/senate-dogged-by-delays-in-confirmations-for-trump-cabinet-nominees

Yeah, Spicer mentioned that at the press con this afternoon. Started chastising democrats at about 4:30 into the attached video. Spicer said Pence had to get involved because of dems and people would remember that. Later a reporter mentioned that two repubs voted against DeVos and asked if (I think Trump IIRC) would remember that, lol.

Ah, Spicer. At least now every time I have to think about him, I can picture Melissa's face superimposed over his.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1486528128|4125810 said:
katharath|1486527663|4125809 said:
In case you missed them, here were his tweets about civil rights icon John Lewis (written over MLK weekend).

And here is what politifact said about the level of truth in these tweets (hint: mostly false).

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/jan/15/donald-trump/trumps-john-lewis-crime-invested-atlanta/

SAD! UNFAIR! WRONG!

Lots of things make him sad :(. Here are a couple:

img_4118.png

img_4120.png

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sad little man ;(

Quick, get him a picture of half naked Putin riding a horse!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
For the nostalgic among us:

img_14901.jpg

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1486530090|4125821 said:

Yup, there are rules for procedures that have to be followed. So they put her in time out.

McConnell invoked Rule XIX which in part says, "No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator."

Sen. Steve Daines, the Republican presiding in the chair, agreed with the senate majority leader and ruled that she was in fact in violation of the rule and ordered Warren to sit down.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1486528549|4125813 said:
lovedogs|1486528128|4125810 said:
katharath|1486527663|4125809 said:
In case you missed them, here were his tweets about civil rights icon John Lewis (written over MLK weekend).

And here is what politifact said about the level of truth in these tweets (hint: mostly false).

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/jan/15/donald-trump/trumps-john-lewis-crime-invested-atlanta/

SAD! UNFAIR! WRONG!

Lots of things make him sad :(. Here are a couple:

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/03/obamas-funeral-attendance/

A lot of people were wondering the same thing why he refused to attend. Gave no credible reason for it either.

So like playing golf after a beheading was this another big mistake of his?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
General mood on twitter re:Liz Warren

img_4130.png

img_4131.png

img_4134.png

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1486529393|4125817 said:
Yup, all true.

katharath|1486527253|4125806 said:
Latest.

Ah, Spicer. At least now every time I have to think about him, I can picture Melissa's face superimposed over his.

Ooops, I forgot to add the video. https://www.c-span.org/video/?423639-1/sean-spicer-briefs-reporters-white-house

I love, love, love Melissa's SNL piece. Makes me smile and laugh just remembering it. I've watched multiple times and were certainly pull it up again. Spicer seems to have toned down a bit in this most recent press con (attached) which I think was the first one since that episode of SNL aired. The first I've seen, anyway.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1486531101|4125825 said:
General mood on twitter re:Liz Warren

How many of them are aware of the rules governing these procedures?

Or are the just spewing as usual because it is not going their way.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
mary poppins|1486531199|4125826 said:
katharath|1486529393|4125817 said:
Yup, all true.

katharath|1486527253|4125806 said:
Latest.

Ooops, I forgot to add the video. https://www.c-span.org/video/?423639-1/sean-spicer-briefs-reporters-white-house

I love, love, love Melissa's SNL piece. Makes me smile and laugh just remembering it. I've watched multiple times and were certainly pull it up again. Spicer seems to have toned down a bit in this most recent press con (attached) which I think was the first one since that episode of SNL aired. The first I've seen, anyway.

Lol, I was wondering about the video, TY for adding it!!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted," McConnell said on the Senate floor.

"I don't think I quite understand," responded a surprised Warren. "I'm simply reading what she wrote about what the nomination of Sessions to be a federal court judge meant and what it would mean in history for her."

"You stated that a sitting senator is a disgrace to the Department of Justice," said Daines, explaining what Warren had done to violate the rule.

About 20 minutes later, with Warren continuing to speak out critically of Sessions, McConnell went to the floor and told Warren she was in violation of the rule. At that point, Warren asked for a roll call vote on her appeal of the decision but it was defeated.
Warren is now barred from speaking on the floor for the remainder of the debate on Session's nomination, McConnell's office said.

If she had held her cool and followed the rules, this would not have happened.

They warned her and warned her and 20 minutes later she still did not listen.

She decided to act like a petulant child.

Whose fault is that?

Unlike in the streets where apparently people can disrupt others and throw liquids and rocks when they do not get their way, here the rules are enforced.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
And it couldn't have come at a better time for Warren, who is up for re-election in 2018. On Tuesday, she announced she hired an aide who is an expert on national security, a move that could help burnish her expertise in that area, as well as the publication of a new book, which will become available in April.
Liberals had been frustrated with Warren's vote in committee in favor of Ben Carson, Trump's nominee for secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
No more.
By Tuesday night, the hashtag #LetLizSpeak was trending on Twitter.

I guess she had to try something to help get her reelected.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Posting for the lols...(read the tweets underneath as well, they're all funny).

img_4139.png

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1486532245|4125830 said:
She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted," McConnell said on the Senate floor.

"I don't think I quite understand," responded a surprised Warren. "I'm simply reading what she wrote about what the nomination of Sessions to be a federal court judge meant and what it would mean in history for her."

"You stated that a sitting senator is a disgrace to the Department of Justice," said Daines, explaining what Warren had done to violate the rule.

About 20 minutes later, with Warren continuing to speak out critically of Sessions, McConnell went to the floor and told Warren she was in violation of the rule. At that point, Warren asked for a roll call vote on her appeal of the decision but it was defeated.
Warren is now barred from speaking on the floor for the remainder of the debate on Session's nomination, McConnell's office said.

If she had held her cool and followed the rules, this would not have happened.

They warned her and warned her and 20 minutes later she still did not listen.

She decided to act like a petulant child.

Whose fault is that?

Unlike in the streets where apparently people can disrupt others and throw liquids and rocks when they do not get their way, here the rules are enforced.

You do see the problem here, don't you? That the whole reason for holding hearing on nominees is to vet them, which might just include criticism of the nominee? That perhaps in this case the interests of a complete vetting - the interests of the American people - surpass those of not hurting a senator's feelings? That this means that sitting senators are treated differently than other nominees? That McConnell and the Senate have the option of temporarily suspending this rule in order to allow for a thorough vetting, but chose not to do so?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry - please let me re-phrase that.

The rule in question is part of the "standing rules of the Senate." It is not part of the constitution - it can be waived or changed, and in fact Senators do often waive or overrule their own rules. Just last week Senate republicans changed the senate rules to allow for a vote of Steve Mnuchin, and McConnell has even talked about changing Senate rules to allow Judge Gorsuch to be confirmed to the Supreme Court with only 51 votes rather than the 60 currently required under the rules. So the rules are hardly chiseled in stone and they're hardly sacrosanct, especially these days.

The Constitution, on the other hand, gives the Senate an "advise and consent"role on the appointment of officials including the members of the Cabinet. That role has historically included questioning and even challenging nominees, although it's very rare that the Senate actually rejects a presidential appointment.

So - the rules are flexible, this particular rule is often "overlooked," the rules can be changed when needed, and this particular rule, in this particular case, could be interfering with the Senate fulfilling its Constitutional rule. And the Senate is saying that its rule, which seems to exist to protect the reputation of either the senate or individual senators, is more important than fully discussing a nominee's fitness for one of the country's most important cabinet positions.

:angryfire:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby-

You just drank Mitch McConnell's Kool Aid, but he won't be as lucky getting the rest of the country to drink it. He made a bad mistake invoking Rule 19. Joe Scarborough, who served in Congress with him, said it went against his (McConnell's) philosophy to silence Senator Warren. He thinks the order to silence her came from The White House or was a personal request from Jeff Sessions because doing so was so stupid. All it did was to martyr Senator Warren, who went on to get her statement into the public record and to get far, far more publicity for it than she would have if he had not red carded her.

Now she is at the top of the news cycle.

AGBF

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let the conservatives rant and rave!

Trust and believe that the attitude in this country is shifting dramatically. The smart people are waking up. The sheep can continue to behave as though this is a high school debate team rivalry instead of our future.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only hope that people still remember these things come 2018. Americans have notoriously short lived memories and although everyone is paying a lot of attention and in a rage right now two years is a long time away for a group* that tends to be intellectually lazy and take the easy way out.

* I.e., the American populace in general -- not talking about the people engaged on PS in active discussion at this time with purpose.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three tweets from Warren in a CNN article titled "Silencing Elizabeth Warren Backfires on Senate GOP"

img_14905.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

img_14906.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results