shape
carat
color
clarity

Tweets from a lunatic

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
White guy. At a public event. During black history month. Wearing a shirt about lynching.

No red, its disgusting.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now we hang people we don't agree with? But I thought when Madonna talked about blowing up the White House there was so much outrage from the Trump supporters because someone might take it literally. All it takes is one crazy, right? Or are tee shirts about hanging journalists supposed to be all in good fun now.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1487623410|4131279 said:
So now we hang people we don't agree with? But I thought when Madonna talked about blowing up the White House there was so much outrage from the Trump supporters because someone might take it literally. All it takes is one crazy, right? Or are tee shirts about hanging journalists supposed to be all in good fun now.

That wasn't me so I am not sure what you are talking about.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were posts about how neo Nazis were assaulted "violence is never the answer". But lynching journalists? "Damn funny"

Interesting dynamic.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1487623600|4131280 said:

Neither is she because I said that.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1487623124|4131275 said:
White guy. At a public event. During black history month. Wearing a shirt about lynching.

No red, its disgusting.

Wow did you hurt yourself stretching that far?

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
redwood66|1487622875|4131271 said:
jaaron|1487622673|4131268 said:
redwood66|1487622430|4131263 said:
telephone89|1487622140|4131261 said:
katharath|1487618929|4131227 said:
Naw, "libs" just need to shut up and let President Stupid Face and his sad sack minions do their thing, right??

Here's an example of them "doing their thing":
So disgusting! But no outrage from the conservatives on this one. No, instead they complain about dinosaur memes :roll:

Outrage? That is a damn funny t-shirt. Get a sense of humor. BTW religion is not a topic to be discussed on PS precisely because of those memes. Journalists are right there at the bottom with lawyers as far as jokes go.

I'm sorry, Redwood. That's funny? A t-shirt that appears to advocate lynching journalists? For real? That's actually making me feel sick.

Yep. Funny. Like lawyers at the bottom of the ocean, etc. We all have different ideas of what is funny. People vary.

Yeah, no. It's not a New Yorker cartoon. It's bordering on inciting violence. If you'll bear with me for a moment, I'll tell you a quick story.

Years ago, when I was a young journalist (yes, that's right), I was sent to interview a judge who had gotten himself into some hot water by blowing the whistle on some goings ons in his county. The DA and the prosecutors and the police were colluding for quick and easy convictions. It happened on a case in the judge's courtroom, he saw it and decided he'd had enough. It was a tight knit community and the judge was duly punished for his actions. When I went to interview him, I'll never forget what he said: Someone could say I raped his daughter. He could be swearing out an affidavit against me right this minute. In the end, the only thing I have to protect me, the only thing any of us have, is the assurance that due process be allowed to run its course without interference.

In short, you might not like the press right now. You might think they're out to get your man. But in the end, when things aren't going the way you want? They're one of the vital institutions that guard democracy for all of us.

Here's a map of countries without a free press. I don't think you'd be lining up to live in any of them.
https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/freedom-press-2016

katharath

Ideal_Rock
WOW. On the flip side, it's good to see this; it tells me that I'm still giving Trumpers too much credit. We clearly need to lower the bar even further.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaaron|1487623879|4131284 said:
Naw, "libs" just need to shut up and let President Stupid Face and his sad sack minions do their thing, right??

So disgusting! But no outrage from the conservatives on this one. No, instead they complain about dinosaur memes :roll:

Outrage? That is a damn funny t-shirt. Get a sense of humor. BTW religion is not a topic to be discussed on PS precisely because of those memes. Journalists are right there at the bottom with lawyers as far as jokes go.

I'm sorry, Redwood. That's funny? A t-shirt that appears to advocate lynching journalists? For real? That's actually making me feel sick.

Yep. Funny. Like lawyers at the bottom of the ocean, etc. We all have different ideas of what is funny. People vary.

Yeah, no. It's not a New Yorker cartoon. It's bordering on inciting violence. If you'll bear with me for a moment, I'll tell you a quick story.

Years ago, when I was a young journalist (yes, that's right), I was sent to interview a judge who had gotten himself into some hot water by blowing the whistle on some goings ons in his county. The DA and the prosecutors and the police were colluding for quick and easy convictions. It happened on a case in the judge's courtroom, he saw it and decided he'd had enough. It was a tight knit community and the judge was duly punished for his actions. When I went to interview him, I'll never forget what he said: Someone could say I raped his daughter. He could be swearing out an affidavit against me right this minute. In the end, the only thing I have to protect me, the only thing any of us have, is the assurance that due process be allowed to run its course without interference.

In short, you might not like the press right now. You might think they're out to get your man. But in the end, when things aren't going the way you want? They're one of the vital institutions that guard democracy for all of us.

Here's a map of countries without a free press. I don't think you'd be lining up to live in any of them.

I haven't liked the press much ever and that has nothing to do with Trump. It is too bad you have had run-ins with less than forthright people. Hopefully in your time as a journalist you have never let your personal bias take over. As for the countries without free press don't you think that is just a bit of a stretch for a comparison?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1487624400|4131288 said:
WOW. On the flip side, it's good to see this; it tells me that I'm still giving Trumpers too much credit. We clearly need to lower the bar even further.

Trumpsters are no more a like minded herd of people then liberals are.

We all have our individual hot buttons on what we find acceptable or not.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
http://crooksandliars.com/2017/02/remember-when-trump-said-he-would-have

Snip:

"When I do come up with a plan that I like and that perhaps agrees with mine, or maybe doesn’t, I may love what the generals come back with. I have a plan, but I don’t want to ― look, I have a very substantial chance of winning, make America great again. We’re going to make America great again. I have a substantial chance of winning. If I win, I don’t want to broadcast to the enemy exactly what my plan is. Let me tell you, if I like maybe a combination of my plan or the generals’ plan, if I like their plan, I’m not going to call you up and say, we have a great plan."

Just the day before this interview he announced that he would give the military’s top generals 30 days to submit a plan for soundly defeating ISIS.

Guess what? 30 days just ended. No plan.

img_4435.png

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like we're already stepping over it now, how much lower can it go?!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1487625019|4131294 said:

Unclear. Just when I thought we were at rock bottom I'm surprised yet again. Hooray.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

I just don't know.

Rational people have just gone around assuming, all of this time, that we were living in an America surrounded by equally rational people. I know that I, personally, just assumed that while there were a portion of Americans out there that just have no clue, I had NO idea that it was this large of a portion.

I had no idea that so many people don't understand the simplest of things; for example, how important a free press is to preserve our way of life here.

How much should we blame the internet? People who were not raised to be critical thinkers, who do not know how to properly evaluate information when presented with it - these people suddenly have access to EVERYTHING. They aren't capable of separating the wheat from the chaff; and then they go out and VOTE.

It is scary. Sorry for going off a bit there...just general musings.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang it has only been 30 days. How many pages will this be in 4 years? How many threads? Will it die off? Sorry for being offensive today but this continued silliness is getting quite funny. Just sayin.

ETA - And you call others irrational?

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
redwood66|1487624533|4131290 said:

I haven't liked the press much ever and that has nothing to do with Trump. It is too bad you have had run-ins with less than forthright people. Hopefully in your time as a journalist you have never let your personal bias take over. As for the countries without free press don't you think that is just a bit of a stretch for a comparison?

Well when 'less than forthright people' run companies or send innocent people to jail or poison poor people in India with 'pharmaceutical testing' or embezzle public money, I believe a free press is one of the last lines of defence for the people. And, yes, I believed that the people had a right to know about lies, corruption and people taking the law into their own hands, so I guess I pushed for stories that exposed that, and in doing so allowed my personal bias to take over.

And, no, I don't think it's a stretch. I believe free elections, the constitution and a free press are what America was founded on and what protects it. Democracy and the will of the people are not absolutes. They require safeguards.

ETA: and if we willingly throw away those safeguards, we only have ourselves to blame for the result.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaaron|1487625535|4131305 said:

Well when 'less than forthright people' run companies or send innocent people to jail or poison poor people in India with 'pharmaceutical testing' or embezzle public money, I believe a free press is one of the last lines of defence for the people. And, yes, I believed that the people had a right to know about lies, corruption and people taking the law into their own hands, so I guess I pushed for stories that exposed that, and in doing so allowed my personal bias to take over.

And, no, I don't think it's a stretch. I believe free elections, the constitution and a free press are what America was founded on and what protects it. Democracy and the will of the people are not absolutes. They require safeguards.

Are you suggesting we don't have these things? It seems to me that the free press is oozing out all over the place.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1487625486|4131302 said:

I just don't know.

Rational people have just gone around assuming, all of this time, that we were living in an America surrounded by equally rational people. I know that I, personally, just assumed that while there were a portion of Americans out there that just have no clue, I had NO idea that it was this large of a portion.

I had no idea that so many people don't understand the simplest of things; for example, how important a free press is to preserve our way of life here.

How much should we blame the internet? People who were not raised to be critical thinkers, who do not know how to properly evaluate information when presented with it - these people suddenly have access to EVERYTHING. They aren't capable of separating the wheat from the chaff; and then they go out and VOTE.

It is scary. Sorry for going off a bit there...just general musings.

Does it hurt being that high on that horse with that stick up there? And people call me passive aggressive......

katharath

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1487625511|4131304 said:
Dang it has only been 30 days. How many pages will this be in 4 years? How many threads? Will it die off? Sorry for being offensive today but this continued silliness is getting quite funny. Just sayin.

How many threads? This is the only thread I've started in some time. Rather than start 2 dozen threads over a 2 week time frame, I try to keep things contained here.

You and ruby have repeatedly made your disdain for this thread crystal clear. We get it. You don't like us pointing out the vast inadequacies of your dear leader. Your efforts to derail are noted...again. And as I've said MANY times in here, if you don't like the contents of this thread, no one is forcing you to read and reply.

Just to really drive it home this time, Trump style:

YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ OR REPLY TO THIS THREAD.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1487626054|4131311 said:

How many threads? This is the only thread I've started in some time. Rather than start 2 dozen threads over a 2 week time frame, I try to keep things contained here.

You and ruby have repeatedly made your disdain for this thread crystal clear. We get it. You don't like us pointing out the vast inadeqaucies of your dear leader. Your efforts to derail are noted...again. And as I've said MANY times in here, if you don't like the contents of this thread, no one is forcing you to read and reply.

I don't have disdain for this thread. Quite the contrary. It is a source of entertainment.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1487626139|4131313 said:
katharath|1487626054|4131311 said:

You and ruby have repeatedly made your disdain for this thread crystal clear. We get it. You don't like us pointing out the vast inadeqaucies of your dear leader. Your efforts to derail are noted...again. And as I've said MANY times in here, if you don't like the contents of this thread, no one is forcing you to read and reply.

I don't have disdain for this thread. Quite the contrary. It is a source of entertainment.

Disdain is not the word I would use either.

More like "bat crap crazy"

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1487623656|4131282 said:

Actually my comment was directed at neither one of you, but please continue to troll and interject yourself.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1487626300|4131318 said:

Actually my comment was directed at neither one of you, but please continue to troll and interject yourself.

Troll? You are too funny.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1487626516|4131322 said:
Elliot86|1487626300|4131318 said:

Troll? You are too funny.

Funny is all she got because she is certainly not accurate.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
redwood66|1487625653|4131308 said:
jaaron|1487625535|4131305 said:

Are you suggesting we don't have these things? It seems to me that the free press is oozing out all over the place.

I believe that the minute we stop valuing and safeguarding those things it's fully possible for them to erode. And that laughing at a t-shirt that advocates lynching anyone-- whether it's a lawyer or a journalist or Steve Bannon-- is not funny in any way.

And, incidentally, I liked Obama. Voted for him twice, but I did have some criticisms of him, one of which was lack of transparency with the press. He did not, however, other than a few run ins with Fox, pursue or stoke fear and loathing of it.

An interesting and alarming article about what could happen.
http://europe.newsweek.com/2016-election-donald-trump-press-freedom-first-amendment-520389?rm=eu

A highlight from it:

“What now is frightening—for a free press and other freedoms we hold dear—is that the president is positioned to create a court that can interpret the Constitution in ways that undermine our liberty—even those that we thought to be inviolable,” writes Hatcher. “Unified ideological control of the three branches of government, plus many of the state governments, means that institutional checks and balances are more vulnerable than they have ever been.”

Intimidation and Threats

Even if the Supreme Court continues to protect the First Amendment, and with it the U.S. press, there are other ways that Trump could limit journalistic freedoms. The pattern is intimidation and threats. In September, for instance, he threatened a lawsuit against the New York Times .

The following month, when the Times published an article about the women accusing Trump of assault, the candidate claimed he was going to sue the newspaper and the women who went on the record.

He never pursued these lawsuits. The discovery process would have been too damaging, as commentators noted, and he would not have had much of a case: The Times story was a piece of newsworthy reporting on someone who is obviously a public figure. So the newspaper refused to back down. “We welcome the opportunity to have a court set him straight,” the Times’ lawyer wrote in a letter to Trump's counsel.

But Trump’s intimidation was enough to get his point across. Other news outlets lack the resources that the Times has to defend itself against a potential libel suit (a more vulnerable newspaper with lesser resources might have backed down). Plus, “the election outcome has taught him that going to war with the press works, so why would he change now?” says Aaron. “I suspect Trump will use the power of his office in the more predictable but no less problematic ways we’ve glimpsed on the campaign trail: intimidating journalists, turning his bully-pulpit power against them and trying to delegitimize the role of an adversarial press at every opportunity.”

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This guy is my new favourite.

carl.png

carl1.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results