shape
carat
color
clarity

Turn around time... is this feasible?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sills

Rough_Rock
Hello this is my first post but I have been patrolling this site for almost a month. I have to say this is the best informational site I have found and I now feel much more comfortable in my purchasing power and completely overwhelmed at the same time!! On to the question... I am ready to start my search for the perfect diamond and setting however I don''t know if I can get what I need in my current timeline. My girlfriend and I are going away on our one nice vacation per year and we are leaving next weekend 8/11. My job is extremely demanding so I have very little free time. Would it be possible to start looking this weekend 8/4, 8/5, and have the ring completed and in hand before 8/10? I really do not want to miss the opportunity of this romantic vacation, however I do not want to waste my time if I can not get it done in time. I am a more hands on kind of guy and live right outside of Philadelphia, so for this purchase the online dealers are out. I would need to find the rock and setting, get it apprasied, and have it set all in less than a week. What does everyone think? Should I go for it or should I just put it off for a later date?

Thank you,

sills

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends.

What kind of stone do you want?

What kind of setting do you want?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all depends on what shape, size, colour and clarity you are looking for that will fit your budget. Also, if it is a stock setting, then you still have time for an online purchase. In fact, going online may be the fastest way as you have more choices of diamonds and settings than 1 store could ever have (or else you'll be running from store to store for more options).

That said, I would never rush something as important as an engagement ring. Do you know what shape diamond and setting she likes? What is your budget?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it's going to depend on what size ring you gal wears and what setting you want. many jewelers will sell you their stock/in store setting if the size matches. If not, it will probably take longer to put the whole thing together. hopefully some of the philly folks can chime in with local recommendations for you. I do want to add that the Online vendors can move pretty darn quick so I wouldn't rule them out completely. what shape of stone are you thinking of and what type of setting? and what's your budget? maybe we can help give you some direction and idea's!

ETA: you might also consider proposing with a temp ring and then she can be involved in picking out the setting with you...

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure there are places that will set a stone right away. Why are online dealers out? Maybe you should email some vendors and see what their turn around time is. Do you know the specifics of the diamond you are looking for? Do you have an idea about settings? There are plenty of people here who would love to help you look!

sills

Rough_Rock
Man I love this place... all I did was blink and had a handfull of replies...

I am looking for:

1.5-1.75
Round
Ideal cut
D-H
VVS-VS2

Platinum or White Gold Pave Setting
Size 8

Budget of $20-25k

sills

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 3:16:15 PM
Author: sills
Man I love this place... all I did was blink and had a handfull of replies...

I am looking for:

1.5-1.75

Round

Ideal cut

D-H

VVS-VS2

Platinum or White Gold Pave Setting

Size 8

Budget of $20-25k

sills

If you're willing to buy online (and there is no reason you shouldn't!) go to whiteflash.com, pick an ACA stone (or just call them) and have them put it in their legato setting with pave.

I think they could do that if you called them ASAP. But a local vendor might have a hard time, esp. with a size 8 finger.

Link to the setting:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm

Possibly with THIS diamond:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-329899.htm#

Or this one:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-66133.htm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sills

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses for far...

I love the internet and do most of my shopping online however I just feel like a purchase of this magnitude deserves a hands on approach. I would love to get this purchased in time from a b&m but your replies are just confirming my suspicion that it is not feasible. Any of the Philly Jewelers Row folks care to comment. How long will this purchase take ballpark? 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a month? Is it different for everyone?

Sorry for all the questions... I am just excited to get this underway and obviously need to plan better.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 3:51:48 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses for far...

I love the internet and do most of my shopping online however I just feel like a purchase of this magnitude deserves a hands on approach. I would love to get this purchased in time from a b&m but your replies are just confirming my suspicion that it is not feasible. Any of the Philly Jewelers Row folks care to comment. How long will this purchase take ballpark? 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a month? Is it different for everyone?

Sorry for all the questions... I am just excited to get this underway and obviously need to plan better.
There are a lot of variables that will determine the amount of time you''ll need to purchase the ring. First and foremost, you''ll need to spend some time educating yourself in diamond buying, this is going to take some time. Please don''t buy anything without first educating yourself! Once you know how to buy a diamond, you''ll need to find a jeweler who has a diamond to meet you criteria. Then, you''ll need to find a ring. If it''s a stock ring that can be sized, I''m sure it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. If it''s a designer ring, it might need to be ordered and/or have the stone set by the designer.

I understand your reluctance to buy such huge purchase online, buy don''t completely rule it out -- keep your options open.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
love the WF ACA and the legato pave suggestion!!! if you acted quickly you could probably get it done.

I highly doubt you''d be able to get a local jeweler to do the 10 day turnaround for you. most B&M''s stock size 6 and you really shouldn''t resize pave that much or the 2 sizes up it would take you. You''ll find pricing soooooo much better by going with a PS vendor as well. Honestly, that WF option is about the only one I can think of that would meet your deadline and even then, not sure they could do it either..

if you order a setting from a local jeweler it usually will take the designer 4-6 weeks to have it made. some might move faster, but that is the timeframe most often quoted.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 3:51:48 PM
Any of the Philly Jewelers Row folks care to comment.
I live about a 7 minute walk from Philly''s jewelers row and my ring is a combination of a whiteflash (Houston) stone and Quest (DC) custom setting
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You said hands on... so I''d recommend Good old Good on Long Island in NY... 2 hour drive for you... totally worth it, they have a lovely collection of settings IMO. Then you can get it appraised in Philly.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Another suggestion is to take advantage of Accredited Gem Appraisers (Dave Atlas & Co. - Old Miner here) in Philly and have 2-3 stones sent there so you can see them in person and have them evaluated on the spot. You should be able to do this prior to payment.

sills

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone again for your advice!!

I was always planning on utilizing Mr. Atlas for appraisals, but never thought to have multiple diamonds sent to him from online retailers and then going to get my eyes on them. What a great idea, thanks Gary!!

Regardless of whether I can make this happen before our trip I am going to start searching this weekend and see what I can find.

Thanks again,

sills

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results