shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson Gem Show!

Kalynna

Rough_Rock
I thought I'd start a thread in case anyone is going! I'm in Phoenix and got in to gem collecting right around the time that the Tucson show happened last year. This year, I'm heading down to see the goods in person! Hope to see some of you there

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shall be in Tucson late Saturday 28 January until 02 February 2023, with the aim to attend some freebie gem and mineral shows and to have some excursions etc...

DK :))

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For those who are attending the Tucson shows for the first time, I would start out going along the west side of HYW 10 starting just south of SpeedWay. Pretty much every hotel along the strip has shows along with some outdoor shows. These are all open to the public, and you can find all kinds of interesting things.... (Gemstones, fossils, carvings, beads, minerals, rugs, jewelry, and other things not normally seen in the US) The big shows, AGTA and GJX are not open to the public, and you need to show some pretty solid credentials to get in. These are the shows where you would see most of the really high end gems, but unless you are in the trade and can prove it, you won't get it)
Another good show to attend is just on the other side of 10 is the 22nd St. Show. As the name implies, it's on 22nd St right where it passes Andy HYW 10.
There is a shuttle bus that takes you from show to show, as some are pretty spread out. I haven't ever used it, but see it all the time. Wear comfortable shoes, as parking can be tough, and once you park you may find it easier just to do some walking.
There are a few shows out on E Ago Way at a place called the Kino Sports Complex. These are open to the public. Lots of tools, really cheap finished jewelry, carvings in wood and stone and behind the main tents lots of small tents with all kinds of stuff from all over the world. Free parking.

Curby311

Rough_Rock
I am in AZ in the Phoenix area and considering driving down as well. I had wanted to go last year but ended up having COVID when it was going on. Thanks to those that had posted tips. It seems as though there's so much to see.

If you like unique cabs and collector specimens, go see my friend Zander of Colorado Gemworks at booth #99 of the Pueblo Gem Show in Tucson. :)

He carries... enhydro quartz cabs/crystals, tourmaline slices, rutilated quartz, fantasy cuts, covellite, maw sit sit, jade, lapis, sugilite, rainbow quartz, gel chalcedony, diamond cubes, dinosaur bone, record keeper ruby/sapphire crystals and cabs, meteorite, phantom quartz pairs, faceted hyalite opal, chrysoprase, carved butterfly wing pairs, and more.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff W sent out a mailshot received this morning featuring 3 roughs, 2 Spinels (a pinkish red and an orange red) and an pinkish orange Imperial Topaz.

Good job the Spinels are out of my reach price wise and the colour of the Imperial Topaz does not suit (besides, I already have a pink Imperial Topaz for one of his earlier Tucson trips),

DK :lol-2:

@dk168 Ooooo what's the weight of the topaz? Do you have a pic/stats? I don't get his newsletter, unfortunately. :doh:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you like unique cabs and collector specimens, go see my friend Zander of Colorado Gemworks at booth #99 of the Pueblo Gem Show in Tucson. :)

He carries... enhydro quartz cabs/crystals, tourmaline slices, rutilated quartz, fantasy cuts, covellite, maw sit sit, jade, lapis, sugilite, rainbow quartz, gel chalcedony, diamond cubes, dinosaur bone, record keeper ruby/sapphire crystals and cabs, meteorite, phantom quartz pairs, faceted hyalite opal, chrysoprase, carved butterfly wing pairs, and more.

I've seen his shop on Etsy before! Very cool stuff!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also shocked by the prices, but I haven’t kept up on CS prices in over a year. Can someone help me understand if this is the new norm or is it a premium, and if a premium is it the location/color/clarity/etc driving it?

Not just with that vendor, but I have also seen colored stones at other vendors that made my mouth drop. While nice/gorgeous stones, I couldn‘t wrap my head around price for that particular colored stone. Not sure what is going on in the colored stone world….

I will assume there is a reason, but the prices are so high that it’s not worth wasting time asking about it. I hope for the vendors that they sell and the person makes gorgeous jewelry and everyone wins.

Curby311

Rough_Rock

That sounds amazing! I will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also shocked by the prices, but I haven’t kept up on CS prices in over a year. Can someone help me understand if this is the new norm or is it a premium, and if a premium is it the location/color/clarity/etc driving it?

Size and clarity is what I am reading for the Spinels, both from Luc Yen in Vietnam.

Again, size and clarity for the Imperial Topaz - that stone is very clean!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am eyeing one of Gary's currently available Spinels, and shall ask him about it when I meet up with him for breakfast on Sunday 29 January 2023 before he leaves Tucson for home.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Price on Spinel has been rising for over tewnty years. Spinel really jumped in price with the big find in Mahenge, Tanzania. Before the big find end buyers could get a very nice two carat red Spinel for $600 to $800 from the right vendors.

You'll find that all gemstones can vary greatly in price between vendors, even American ones. It pays to shop around.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ve always found that vendor’s gems to be priced on the high side. That said the recent pricing really shocked me.

I’m glad am not seeing such prices in my part of the world yet (apart from some madly priced stores that are popular with celebrities) but couldn’t help but think that if vendors can sell at those prices, no wonder gemstone prices keep going up.

Note to self to swipe up some more bigger gemstones before I am totally priced out.

You'll find that all gemstones can vary greatly in price between vendors, even American ones. It pays to shop around.

Totally agree with this!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve noticed prices for colored gems have gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years. I guess it’s to be expected but it makes me wish I had purchased a much larger paraiba back when the prices were more manageable (not that I could have afforded it back then either so..:wall:). I want to buy an emerald but I’m picky and the prices have skyrocketed in the last two years. I watched one piece in particular go from 17k to over 40k in 2 years. o_O

Yvonne from Cecile Rayle Designs wrote an interesting blog post, a while back, that talked about the rising costs of gemstones and why some of them have become so expensive. I think I shared a link at the time, as it was an interesting read.

Meanwhile, on to the brighter side. I did buy a Mahenge spinel yesterday, via DesertRose. It was more expensive than I’d like, but the color looks nice and vibrant. And since we’re all here for the pics, I’ll get us started. :mrgreen:
F5058CCE-921A-48E1-9E13-723D48EB452C.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results