shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson Gem show

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 9:46:05 PM
Author: colormyworld
Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe the forum is set up so that we can share our ACTUAL experinces with vendors. Good and bad.
Sharing a preconceived opinion about a vendor without actualy have first hand knowledge is a little unfair. Don''t you think.
No I do not, and I''ll tell you why. Let''s say that John Doe wanted to buy a gem from a vendor, and I heard numerous complaints about that vendor on several websites and that vendor had a huge scandal which made them lose tons of credibility. I think it would be my responsibility to tell John Doe about that vendor. You may disagree, and that''s your right, but I feel I would doing a diservice if I didn''t mention anything.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 9:48:10 PM
Author: mochi
Is it also unfair to form an opinion about something because of others experience? Isn''t this also ones perogative?
See my post above.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, I started this thread for fun and giggles, not to get so serious... I''m sorry I even started this.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I stand by my point about sharing OUR ACTUAL experinces. Not something we hear second or third hand from others who may or may not have another agenda.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 9:49:59 PM
Seriously, I started this thread for fun and giggles, not to get so serious... I''m sorry I even started this.
Dont'' be sorry Mochi, it was a fun thread while it lasted. We should start an ugly ring thread? Is there such a thing on PS?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 9:53:53 PM
I stand by my point about sharing our ACTUAL experinces. Not something we hear second or third hand from others who may or may not have another agenda.
Fair enough, I encourage you to open a thread on your positive experiences with JTV. I think we took this one into a bit of a hijack, and that''s not fair to Mochi.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 9:49:59 PM
Don''t be sorry. Thank you for the laugh.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I stand by my point about sharing OUR ACTUAL experinces. Not something we hear second or third hand from others who may or may not have another agenda.
That''s entirely your opinion, and that''s fine.

Since you don''t speak for the rest of PS, you can remove the "we" from your opinion and just stick to "I"
2.gif

For myself, I prefer to hear opinions from all who have them. I''m quite capable of determining how much weight I wish to give the opinion, and to make the decision whether I wish to explore first hand with a vendor being discussed.

Personally my opinion is that all jewelry television sellers should be viewed just like eBay, some potential bargains to be had...but caveat emptor in general.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
If people can''t form an opinion about a vendor until they''re had an actual experience, then reviews, recommendations and Ebay feedback ratings would be rendered worthless. But they''re not. They''re very helpful. My decision to give a vendor my business relies heavily on the history of costumer experiences. I would want to know how reliable and honest that vendor is.

I bought some gemstone pieces from JTV before. You definitely get what you pay for. I''ve also watched their program. The items that they show on T.V. don''t always match what the costumers receive. There''s been a consistent history of returns. Unless you are naive, there is no way you can get a 50 carat parcel of faceted, eye-clean mixed gemstones for $99. The parcels that they display on their turn-tables and showcases are very bright and clear. But costumers get something else. Sometimes they get the wrong item.

These jewelry television hosts have the same job: TO SELL. And they will do and say anything to get rid of their inventory.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 12:22:24 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Most of the television shopping networds are touting the Tuscon gemshow like they bought the only exclusive stones. In actuality, they probably all bought tons of tanzanite in blah quality.
Purr,
What about unsubstantiated statements such as the above? Do they have a place on this forum?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Mochi, sorry for the threadjack.
Attending the Tucson show has been a dream of mine for years. I''m sure shared by most if not all who post in this forum. What an educational experince it would be.

Date: 2/14/2009 9:55:17 PM

I stand by my point about sharing our ACTUAL experinces. Not something we hear second or third hand from others who may or may not have another agenda.
Fair enough, I encourage you to open a thread on your positive experiences with JTV. I think we took this one into a bit of a hijack, and that''s not fair to Mochi.

There is already is such a thread.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 10:22:09 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 2/14/2009 12:22:24 PM
Most of the television shopping networds are touting the Tuscon gemshow like they bought the only exclusive stones. In actuality, they probably all bought tons of tanzanite in blah quality.
Purr,
What about unsubstantiated statements such as the above? Do they have a place on this forum?
Harriet,
It is not unsubstantiated. They show tanzanite day and night on their channel, and yes, it''s blah quality in my eyes. However, they would make you believe it''s top top gem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 10:22:41 PM
Mochi, sorry for the threadjack.
Attending the Tucson show has been a dream of mine for years. I''m sure shared by most if not all who post in this forum. What an educational experince it would be.

Date: 2/14/2009 9:55:17 PM

There is already is such a thread.
Where, I would like to read it?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL,
Thanks for the information. I'm sorry I cited your statement as an example. However, there have been a number of unsubtantiated generalisations on this forum recently. My question as to their function still stands.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
The ring is "interesting." It seems to me that the more bizarre, the more popular jewelry is for the folks who watch the networks! Perhaps they want something "different" to distinguish themselves, to bring the: Gee, what is that?

My own experience with JTV: good-excellent several years ago. Lately: UGH.
Two years I bought 24 1.1ctw champagne diamonds, that is, bought to check out. Of the 24 I kept 3. One was almost white (C1) and sparkles like crazy. One was a perfect heart-and-arrows, nice rich color (C3-4) The 3rd was sort of in between, and as far as I could tell about a SI-12. The other 21 were GARBAGE: cracks right down the table and on the edges. These were $1400 each at the time. They don''t rate their diamonds...wonder why!?

I think most people are looking for "bling for a bargain." JTV hosts always tout all the "new" customers; read: people who don''t know much about gems or jewelry. Everything lately is either sterling or 10Kt. They quote a RETAIL price for the gold, which is unrealistic. As an individual one cannot sell gold jewelry for "spot" much less retail. This is MISLEADING, and I''ve told them so.

I used to get a kick out of the show. Lately I use it to put myself to sleep. Tanzanite and repetivie poor quality jewelry with diamonds like "frozen spit" (borrowed that from anther topic here). Frankly, the presenters remind me of good ole boardwalk hucksters standing in front of a spinning WHEEL OF FORTUNE...which would seem to be about right. Occasionally, one CAN get a really good bargain; more often the stuff is un-vetted, with the hosts showing the pick of the litter...only! It''s definitely buyer-be-ware there.

Meanwhile, I''ve found bidz.com. I had a very good experience with them. It is a declining auction format, with any bid on the last 5 seconds extending the auction. THIS IS THE WAY EBAY SHOULD HAVE SET ITSELF UP.
Bidz.com is a highly rated site, with a good format. Again, their quality varies. But at least their photos and descriptions are decent...diamonds are graded there. It''s a FUN place to watch. One which I would recommend over JTV for anyone who wants that live online jewelry "kick."

Obviously, it does not replace reputable dealers, cutters, etc. as are the backbone of this group!
36.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 10:17:30 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Since you don''t speak for the rest of PS, you can remove the ''we'' from your opinion and just stick to ''I''
2.gif

For myself, I prefer to hear opinions from all who have them. I''m quite capable of determining how much weight I wish to give the opinion, and to make the decision whether I wish to explore first hand with a vendor being discussed.

Personally my opinion is that all jewelry television sellers should be viewed just like eBay, some potential bargains to be had...but caveat emptor in general.

This is not just my opinion. Rules # 5 and 6 in the forum policies are pretty clear.

Referrals and Recommendations:
"Recommendations given within the Pricescope community should be done in a good faith as genuine opinions based on personal knowledge and experience and not influenced by any commercial interests."

Sharing your experience:
"Your posts should be your actual, firsthand experience as a consumer."

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
"personal knowledge"...that would be things you''ve heard, things you know, things you''ve seen posted, etc. They are opinions and are correctly expressed as such. If you disagree with posts, feel free to hit the report button.

Otherwise we better stop gushing over our PS friends rings, because ya know, we didn''t buy the ring and we haven''t actually seen it have we?
20.gif

This isn''t Consumer Reports. This is a site for admiration, knowledge, opinions, and sharing an appreciation of jewels.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 10:34:16 PM

Since you don''t speak for the rest of PS, you can remove the ''we'' from your opinion and just stick to ''I''
2.gif

This is not just my opinion. Rules # 5 and 6 in the forum policies are pretty clear.

''Recommendations given within the Pricescope community should be done in a good faith as genuine opinions based on personal knowledge and experience and not influenced by any commercial interests.''

Sharing your experience:
''Your posts should be your actual, firsthand experience as a consumer.''
Fair enough again, but I can also state that my personal knowledge and experience is rooted in watching their deceptions on live television and the issues I mentioned earlier with their website. In that regard, I am a consumer. I need not have purchased a thing, but I am watching them and their product. This is akin to going to a store, looking at their merchandise, feeling deceived by the salespeople, and not buying a thing because I was disappointed with the quality and deceptions. Does that make me unable to share my experience because I didn''t actually BUY anything? You may disagree with me on the point that I made about mentioning other consumer complaints, but part of my job as a consumer is to research complaints. It would not be any different if I was trying to get something and I researched the company on the Better Business Bureau.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 10:44:08 PM

2.gif

''Recommendations given within the Pricescope community should be done in a good faith as genuine opinions based on personal knowledge and experience and not influenced by any commercial interests.''

Sharing your experience:
Fair enough again, but I can also state that my personal knowledge and experience is rooted in watching their deceptions on live television and the issues I mentioned earlier with their website. In that regard, I am a consumer. I need not have purchased a thing, but I am watching them and their product. This is akin to going to a store, looking at their merchandise, feeling deceived by the salespeople, and not buying a thing because I was disappointed with the quality and deceptions. Does that make me unable to share my experience because I didn''t actually BUY anything? You may disagree with me on the point that I made about mentioning other consumer complaints, but part of my job as a consumer is to research complaints. It would not be any different if I was trying to get something and I researched the company on the Better Business Bureau.
Richard Sherwood had this thread recently https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-reaching-my-breaking-point-with-jewelry-television-network.66892/

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 10:57:56 PM
Author: Skippy123

That's entirely your opinion, and that's fine.

Since you don't speak for the rest of PS, you can remove the 'we' from your opinion and just stick to 'I'
2.gif

For myself, I prefer to hear opinions from all who have them. I'm quite capable of determining how much weight I wish to give the opinion, and to make the decision whether I wish to explore first hand with a vendor being discussed.

'Recommendations given within the Pricescope community should be done in a good faith as genuine opinions based on personal knowledge and experience and not influenced by any commercial interests.'

Sharing your experience:

'Your posts should be your actual, firsthand experience as a consumer.'

Fair enough again, but I can also state that my personal knowledge and experience is rooted in watching their deceptions on live television and the issues I mentioned earlier with their website. In that regard, I am a consumer. I need not have purchased a thing, but I am watching them and their product. This is akin to going to a store, looking at their merchandise, feeling deceived by the salespeople, and not buying a thing because I was disappointed with the quality and deceptions. Does that make me unable to share my experience because I didn't actually BUY anything? You may disagree with me on the point that I made about mentioning other consumer complaints, but part of my job as a consumer is to research complaints. It would not be any different if I was trying to get something and I researched the company on the Better Business Bureau.
Richard Sherwood had this thread recently https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-reaching-my-breaking-point-with-jewelry-television-network.66892/

Thank you Skippy for your considerate post. Yes, Richard Sherwood knows his gems and what is "junk" He wanted to sue all of the "gem shopping" networks, for blatantly lying. Who should know better than Richard, about gem stones??

Can't we even have fun posts anymore? I am sorry Mochi, you posted a giggle and it turned into a debate.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 1:05:24 AM
Author: Linda W
Date: 2/14/2009 10:57:56 PM

Author: Skippy123

2.gif

Sharing your experience:

Thank you Skippy for your considerate post. Yes, Richard Sherwood knows his gems and what is ''junk'' He wanted to sue all of the ''gem shopping'' networks, for blatantly lying. Who should know better than Richard, about gem stones??

Can''t we even have fun post anymore? I am sorry Mochi, you posted a giggle and it turned into a debate.

I totally agree with you, Linda. Mochi, don''t feel bad. I thought your post was hilarious - and I think it''s good to not take ourselves quite so seriously all the time. Thank you for a great laugh, Mochi!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 10:26:20 PM
TL,

Thanks for the information. I'm sorry I cited your statement as an example. However, there have been a number of unsubtantiated generalisations on this forum recently. My question as to their function still stands.
What I don't get are the "some other people said on some other forums, etc., etc." posts. The rest of us don't know what forums are being referenced, can't read them, can't get a fair idea of what's being said....

It's not for me to say whether that type of post does or does not have a place at this forum, only that I find those posts hearsay and completely frustrating. That's all. Stepping out of the fray now...

(And no, Harriet does not make this type of post, rather I meant I think this type of post falls into the "unsubstantiated generalizations" category)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 2:06:24 AM
Author: Imdanny

Date: 2/14/2009 10:26:20 PM
TL,

Thanks for the information. I''m sorry I cited your statement as an example. However, there have been a number of unsubtantiated generalisations on this forum recently. My question as to their function still stands.
What I don''t get are the ''some other people said on some other forums, etc., etc.'' posts. The rest of us don''t know what forums are being referenced, can''t read them, can''t get a fair idea of what''s being said....

It''s not for me to say whether that type of post does or does not have a place at this forum, only that I find those posts hearsay and completely frustrating. That''s all. Stepping out of the fray now...

(And no, Harriet does not make this type of post, rather I meant I think this type of post falls into the ''unsubstantiated generalizations'' category)
That is frustrating, I know. It''s against PS rules to mention other forums. I have to respect and abide by the rules put forth in this forum. However, as I mentioned earlier, it is no secret to many of us about the quality of JTV merchandise. ColorMyWorld seems very happy with their merchandise and I wish he would open a thread to discuss his positive experiences with them, or point me to the thread that he mentioned which did have positivie reviews. I would love to read those, and be happy to know that they have some very satisfied customers that, at the same time, are also individuals that are educated about colored gems. If someone like CMW likes JTV and has had good experiences with them, I would love to read about them.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Well lets let the thread jack continue. TL you abmit to having no first hand knowledge on the subject. So why do you keep on? As has been stated already "you get what you pay for" This inmcludes JTV or any where you shop. Your blanket statement about the low quality of all of JTVs offerings not true. You are doing this group no favors. Why don''t you do your own research before making such blanket statements.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Stay on topic.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 9:22:28 AM
Well lets let the thread jack continue. TL you abmit to having no first hand knowledge on the subject. So why do you keep on? As has been stated already ''you get what you pay for'' This inmcludes JTV or any where you shop. Your blanket statement about the low quality of all of JTVs offerings not true. You are doing this group no favors. Why don''t you do your own research before making such blanket statements.
Ali,
I''m very sorry. CMW, completely fair, therefore, please tell us about your positive experiences in the new thread I opened.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results