shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite for engagement ring? Bad idea?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also of the odd group who feels you should get a stone that you absolutely love because you are going to be wearing it a lot. I would also suggest choosing a setting that is more than less secure, not wearing it if you are going to be doing things to bang the ring, and take it off at night. But I would suggest the same for a diamond. I inherited a ring that has two small round stones that look like rubies. But despite that these stones are are worn! with the table facet almost having a dimple in it, and facets rounded off. Everything ends up getting worn eventually.

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Well look what I discovered!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-8ct-namibian-demantoid-garnet-halo-ring.209114/

How fantastic to get a good idea of what I’m thinking of! Especially as the ring size isn’t far off my own so I can get a good idea of the carat weight on my finger. I think we’re going to be best served putting origin further down on the priority list considering our budget. But I’m okay with that. Colour and dispersion are the most important things about demantoids to me, not origin and inclusions.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would love to see someone buy this one

https://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10878

and post pictures for us to admire :dance:. But I also would belong to the no bezel camp. Too hard to get it out later and touch up the nicks, demantoid garnets are supposedly a bit soft. I would be planning to unmount it later.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tsavfinishedgreengreengreen.jpg P1010451111.jpg tsavforarc11intsidepic.jpg

This ring is an 8.5 (I'm also of the land of big hands!) so don't be afraid of other shapes! does have an airline which gives it a little bit bigger look. I generally don't like them but did in this ring indeed!

Some stones, if you go for a dynamite color + setting it just works out. So if the budget calls for something smaller, look for killer color:appl:

This particular one is WAY under 2cts! I believe 1.31ct. I only have 2 tsavs (the other is a 1.40ct cushion and unset) but this ring is a sort of goto.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
A little development on this. A potentially exciting one! After both of us searching demantoids for sale daily, and him contacting cutters near and far, my fiancé to be has sourced a stone he really likes. He’s showed me a video and it is a little stunner!

We both want the same thing from the stone. Ideally Russian as we prefer the hue of the stones mined there. Beautiful dispersion showing blues and reds. And a shape other than round.

He’s been sent a couple of videos of this stone, and I’m rather transfixed watching the disco lights emanating from it in slow motion :lol-2:

https://streamable.com/44bcb

Sorry for the link. The video file was too large to upload.

At this point I’m not allowed to know much about the stone as the final product will be a surprise. All I know is it’s between 1 and 2 carats, eye clean, and isn’t listed for sale anywhere. My boyfriend is just trying to arrange to have sent over for us to look at.

Any thoughts? I never thought I’d go trillion for an engagement ring any of the times I’ve fantasised about being engaged, but I think they’re so beautiful, and I’ve been toying around with another trillion I have on “that” finger and it looks really good lol.
My bf has learnt a fair bit of info regarding the cutting of demantoids which means finding a square or Asscher cut will be rather hard. But the trillions really draw me in too.

Anyway, he’s instructed me to look for trillion settings I like in case this is the shape, and Indeed stone, we go for!
So I need pictures of any trillion settings you love please! Especially depicting milgrain or small stone halos.
I did also want two tone, white and rose gold. But I’m wondering if a demantoid of this hue would suit a cooler tone than rose gold and it should be all white? Any images of this tone of green with rose gold would be much appreciated, thank you so much :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
I’ve just realised the video has been massively compressed so the image is not as clear as the original.
I’ve taken a few screenshots of the video on my phone so you can hopefully get a better idea of how it looks. Apologies!

EEB9DD0D-D5DA-43E2-8BD9-331B378271C6.png FBF24E19-CDBD-48BE-A7ED-4ABCE6DDF048.png 419D9258-89E9-4ABF-8F4F-DDED1CD74939.png 5B61E738-F35B-4D21-95AF-399C085C4183.png 1DE0EC75-AE2C-45FB-BACE-85640091A159.png

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have zero experience with demantoids, but this one is really beautiful to me! Definitely protect those corners in whatever setting you pick, obviously. I can't wait to see what you pick out=)2

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put me in the not sure lane. I would need to see more to be able to decide. Also I noticed that you guys said you wanted russian. does this stone come with a report that states it to be so? If not, what are the feelings of the seller to send it in for one?

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Put me in the not sure lane. I would need to see more to be able to decide. Also I noticed that you guys said you wanted russian. does this stone come with a report that states it to be so? If not, what are the feelings of the seller to send it in for one?

We will only choose a stone we’ve seen in person, and yes, I’d want a report stating it’s of Russian origin thays how it is being described.

All the correspondence is being handled by my partner however, so I don’t know much. He is a stickler for research and perfection though, so I have a decent amount of confidence in him. I will double check though as I’m a bit of a control freak!
This whole process is pretty nerve wracking in that I’m not a huge part of it. But he’s a romantic, he says only plans to do this once so wants to do it right, he doesn’t want to cut any corners, and has me in mind. To tell the truth it’s quite nice to be able to have this level of confidence in him. Because I really want to love this ring and I think whatever we end up with, I’m going to thanks to his diligence :)

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Gemobsessed has this lovely trillion rubellite ring with milgrain.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pink-tourmaline-masterpiece.237593/

I’m not sure how big your demantoid will be. Are you sure you want a halo? I am very fond of green with rose gold so I think rose gold is a great choice.

No, I’m not sure at all lol! I’ll have to decide once I see the stone in person. It’s apparently over 7mm and I really want it to be the centre piece. That rubelite is beautiful; the milgrain is so delicate and gorgeous.
We’re contemplating a jeweller in a town near us in Suffolk UK, as their milgrain work is very nice.
If I were to have a halo, it would be very small and delicate like the blue stone in your second post. I did actually bookmark one like that.

I’ve been aware of how the wedding band will sit with it, so I’ve been looking at actual sets. A couple that I’ve bookmarked so far have a very vintage, slightly Art Deco look. My eye was drawn to them as I think they could really show off the shape of the trillion, but at the same time give it a very delicate look. The triangle shape is very harsh.
Having said that, I do love the shape! So very simple settings have been catching my eye too. So I’m nowhere near deciding :lol-2:

I’ve included a vendor shot of the stone too.

1E08CC9C-D60E-46FC-8D3D-2E094680C9F2.jpeg D748B9A0-2F83-4FD4-AA81-EB030AD21BD5.jpeg AF2943A5-0646-466E-88CF-82D5BF93DDE0.png 553DD30A-3333-4F13-A2F8-AA51E23649F6.jpeg 1F088006-301C-4122-918A-241A135B247F.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@NexivRed just from experience, if you want your ring to sit flush, your stone will need to sit high(er) at 7mm across, because that means that the stone could be pretty deep.

Whats your comfort level with high set rings? I also think possibly you will need to go custom to get the fit you want.

very excited for you:appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats on possibly finding the stone! :) :appl: I enjoy trillions, and if I ever have one it will be set in a design like this; you can customize the thickness and curves to what you want. I also like it because it puts the stone front and center and allows for a band to contour around it. My guess is that it should be able to be made within your budget too. (My ring sizes are larger than yours :lol: so the idea of having a thicker/wider band for this ring is attractive to me.)

Have fun with the process. :)

DSC_1874.jpg
Trillion-blue-sapphire-bridal-engagement-ring-set_DSC_4106_1024x1024.jpg
Trillion-blue-sapphire-bridal-engagement-ring-set_DSC_4102_1024x1024.jpg

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Well, it’s on its way to us to view!!

Thank you for more info. @Arcadian I think as long as I can get the right balance of the shoulders leading up to the stone and properly protecting it, I could deal with it sitting high. I’m just not a fan of a pronounced basket on top of a band or anything.
@SparkliesLuver the fluidity of that band is beautiful! I love how it blends from thick to thin. It looks very comfortable. I think flowing lines will be priority rather than harsh geometric ones. Just to try and get a good balance. That’s going to be the challenge; to turn a vibrant trillion into something delicate.

I’ve no idea what the budget is now that he’s chosen a stone! But I think the setting will be completely custom. I guess once he speaks to the jeweller he has in mind, shows them the stone, and gets feedback on what can be done within his budget, I’ll be able to take the next step in choosing.

That’s if we love it. Can’t wait to see it! It’ll be the first one we’ve seen.

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
It’s here’s!! She’s here; she made it all the way from the US and safely through customs. It’s almost cruel it’s dark outside so I don’t get to see her in the sun lol.

A trillion cut Russian demantoid.

Hope you don’t mind some picture spam. This is a stone of many faces I think. And many colours which I’ve tried to capture to show you. Truly like the fire from a diamond.

Photos under incandescent light, the spotlights in my kitchen, the shade of my phone and also with flash. I finally get to find out how notorious stones are at posing for photos with their true colours on! Hopefully you get a bit of an idea :)

8D62B496-BA06-4DBA-BA3A-46A3A2022B74.jpeg 2E56F7F5-3D07-4A33-8732-8C9584B6A782.jpeg 2CA12E71-29D5-4C94-A44B-FA79EEF6035E.jpeg 9A2616A5-EFB5-439D-B06F-58A3D42AD846.jpeg 312830F1-EA8F-44AD-B5E5-312237E59408.jpeg 7D4AB4F1-9192-42C6-AEE8-2BAA819E38CC.jpeg 2B14BB61-607A-4D89-85B8-9DF72A2C44DC.jpeg 43AC9C30-AE02-4E78-B703-D625303EF121.jpeg 5FF2CD7B-96B6-4039-A92C-360734CD8004.jpeg F25BAB9E-A9F4-4F34-B1C4-505C796F6AE1.jpeg

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Some more in her box. This was only a viewing of this stone as there is a return policy, but it’s going nowhere lol. This is the one :D

A few of these are not in focus, but I was trying to capture the colours I see. I just love the blue and the red, and there’s also some beautiful peach visible now and then which you can see in the very first picture of the other post.

904EB309-E581-4787-901B-11917D11204E.jpeg E1E1D697-FABB-44B0-A5DC-DA656649DAA1.jpeg
E653D8D1-76F7-4A72-977B-2E543390BA7A.jpeg
C30FF907-88E2-4D49-9825-4A2592AB537F.jpeg EC41CCAF-0D9A-4A13-AE74-49F9E3AA637E.jpeg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I'm happy you are so happy with your find! What color metal are you going to set her in?

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
I'm happy you are so happy with your find! What color metal are you going to set her in?

Thank you! This process has been so much fun to have my boyfriend be really into all this, and to put the effort into finding such a pretty stone.

I have a few stats:
1.2 carat
6.7 x 7mm (one side is 6.7; it’s not the depth.)

Tiny horsetails can be seen by us under magnification, but there’s no certificate currently confirming region of origin. Although sourcing a Russian one was a priority, this was mainly to try and avoid a yellowish green stone.
I’m tempted to send it off for a report whilst it’s still loose though. Where would be good for a UK resident?

Because this stone is lovely a cool toned, I think whatever sort of prongs we go for will be in a white metal, (thinking 18k white gold, but maybe too soft to protect the points?) and then I wanted rose gold which I think will be suited better to the band.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding your stone! It looks like a lovely gem.

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. And thank you for this excellent forum, we’d be lost without it. This particular stone wasn’t for sale anywhere; it was part of a private collection. But I really appreciate all the help from everyone. Now we need to decide how to set this. Tricky...

Grabbed a couple of pictures outside with it being overcast. It really surprised me; it was so green! Closing in on the colour of the grass but a cooler tone. It’s just the colour we wanted :mrgreen2:

38F9F284-C206-4510-B70C-E6C1EA20B6E5.jpeg
291108BD-7E0A-4378-9980-FAC2E79D4374.jpeg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a little chameleon for sure! Kudos to you, as its not often that a buyer loves the first stone they receive - just goes to show that you all did your homework. It will be fun to watch as you design and fabricate its home.

budmanbudman10

Rough_Rock
tsavfinishedgreengreengreen.jpg P1010451111.jpg tsavforarc11intsidepic.jpg

This ring is an 8.5 (I'm also of the land of big hands!) so don't be afraid of other shapes! does have an airline which gives it a little bit bigger look. I generally don't like them but did in this ring indeed!

Some stones, if you go for a dynamite color + setting it just works out. So if the budget calls for something smaller, look for killer color:appl:

This particular one is WAY under 2cts! I believe 1.31ct. I only have 2 tsavs (the other is a 1.40ct cushion and unset) but this ring is a sort of goto.

Love your tsavorite! Can I ask where you got it? And any pics of your cushion cut tsav?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it really does shift in colour & tone depending on the light :eek-2: glad you love it. :dance:

A few setting ideas...

_1315.jpeg chrono's trillion.jpg
il_570xn_9.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an old thread that was resurrected about an entirely different gem than the OP’s. ;)2

I wonder if the OP ever did set that demantoid though. They can be shifty stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results