shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to Decide between Pear and Emerald Cut

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Okay. So I currently own a 1.3 carat Emerald Cut diamond....been married for 15 years. The stone is not as big as I would like it to be and it never has been. It's set in a solitaire setting with side baguettes. I have long skinny fingers and larger hands and I like to have good finger coverage, but without a super thick band. My husband doesn't really want to upgrade the stone, and I figure it would take about a 3 carat diamond at least to get the kind of finger coverage I want, but that is not within our budget. So I have thought about upgrading the setting to a halo style with a baguetted halo instead of pave halo. I basically want this style of ring but without the the split band.

http://www.exclusivejewelrydesigns.com/portfolio/emerald-cut-baguettes-diamond-ring/

So my first question, is, with this type of halo setting, what kind of finger coverage can I expect to have with a 1.3 carat diamond? Enough to make a huge difference?

Which leads to my second question. My mother inherited from her mother a loose, nicely shaped and cut pear diamond. It's 2 carats but faces larger IMO. She said I could use this diamond for an engagement ring upgrade if I want it. It certainly is much larger than my 1.3 carat emerald, but I have to admit, I'm an emerald-cut girl all the way and have never been PARTICULARLY, OVERLY fond of the pear shape....on me. However, I am wondering if I should make an exception for what is a larger, obviously more expensive stone.

What would you all do? My birthday is coming up and I told my husband I'd like a new setting for whichever I choose to do for my gift....birthday is in a month! LOL I want to do the logical thing that would make me happiest in the long run, but I'm not really sure what that is!
Thanks for any advice.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi. I have an asscher in a baguette halo as a RHR. The baguettes add around 1.8 to 2mm extra width on each side of the stone, so it does add a considerable amount of extra coverage. It's not a cheap option though as the stones all have to be specifically cut, but it is a stunning style (I think!) but then I love Art Deco styles! I looked into various options and nearly went with a style with baguettes on the long sides and very small rounds on the corners, which may be cheaper to do? Good Old Gold recommended a company called platinum plus who have a couple of settings in that style (I didn't end up going with one of their's so can't tell you what the end result would be like).

If you have a beautiful pear already I'd be tempted to use that and have your emerald as a RHR as it is. I think it's lovely to have an inherited stone with sentiment and history to it. And unless you really need to scratch a baguette halo itch it'll be cheaper too!

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. I have no idea how much a setting like the one I showed for the emerald would cost, but you are scaring me! Do you have a ballpark figure for what I could expect to pay? I'm not a regular on this forum so I'm not real well-informed on all the stuff that you guys probably know. I would be taking it to my local jeweler (well-regarded, best in my city) for the work as opposed to sending it off, simply because it seems very complicated to do it that way. Here's an update: I get the feeling from my mom that she would rather NOT give me the pear diamond, because she thinks I'm not crazy about it. Even though it has sat in her vault at the bank for 20 years. But I get a feeling she would rather me not take it for some reason.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, from your posts you sound like a true emerald-cut enthusiast, and also not into pear-cuts at all, so it is really very understandable and not at all a surprise that your mom would rather not give her pear diamond to someone who will not truly appreciate it for all of its pear-cut-ness.

It does sound like your true preference is for a new setting to complement/emphasize your emerald-cut diamond.

Generally speaking, step-cut/baguette halos are very expensive because (usually) they have to be hand-cut for the specific center stone. There are ways to reduce the cost, i.e., use standard size baguettes and use round-cuts for the corners.

In case they are helpful, here are several related PS threads I found using the PS search and the term "baguette halo":

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/4-ct-asscher-with-baguette-halo-design-musings.53212/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/information-on-baguette-halo-deisgn.55584/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/baguette-trap-halo-for-asscher-opinions-please.49047/

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
From how you are talking about the pear, I think you will always feel dissatisfied if you go with that.

I love Art Deco style halos, but if that's out of the budget, how about a delicate halo with rounds, or a different deco setting that wouldn't require custom cutting the corner baguettes? Do any of these appeal?

_1253.png

_1254.png

_1255.png

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies, links and info guys. I do still really want the baguetted halo setting, but you guys aren't telling me HOW expensive such a setting will be that I posted. Does anyone have a kind of ballpark figure? Right now, I am getting a bad feeling, like maybe that setting will be as expensive as the diamond? Aaaaah, please say it isn't!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am toying with the idea of haloing a 75point emerald cut. I received quotes between $1900.00 and $2500 so far. These are a couple to my favorites.

_37645.jpg

_37646.jpg

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
avalonrose|1466971834|4048590 said:
Thanks for all the replies, links and info guys. I do still really want the baguetted halo setting, but you guys aren't telling me HOW expensive such a setting will be that I posted. Does anyone have a kind of ballpark figure? Right now, I am getting a bad feeling, like maybe that setting will be as expensive as the diamond? Aaaaah, please say it isn't!

It sounds like you are set on the setting, and on using your local jeweler. So your best bet is to ask him/her for a quote.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This picture should help you visualize size. A halo can make a huge difference. These settings are all by Victor Canera. The top emerald cut diamond is 3 cts and the second emerald cut diamond in the halo is 1.3 cts. So as you can see, the halo makes the 1.3 about equal in size to the 3 ct! I think a round brilliant halo is a beautiful contrast with a step cut center. It is very possible the baguettes in a baguette halo would need to be custom cut which will make it more expensive. I would be very careful with either type to use a very excellent ringmaker.

_37647.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi. If it's the style you're set on, here's a link to one of the settings from Platinum Plus Designs I was talking about, to give an idea of other prices. I can't seem to find a similar version they had around an emerald cut centre. Price for this setting on their site is $6,000, part baguette and part round halo. I also saw a similar ring with coloured rounds in the corners which was stunning! They did quote me for a full baguette halo which was more but I can't remember the exact price.

https://www.platinumplusdesigns.com/vintage-inspired-mounts-c-39/1420-1-art-deco-fancy-straight-cut-baguette-diamond-and-pave-set-diamond-halo-platinum-semi-mount-engagement-ring-p-764

As I said I didn't end up going with them, partly because I wanted a slightly more modern take on this style rather than these which I think are more a straight reproduction of an antique style. Also partly because I couldn't see the settings first hand and, to me anyway, the beauty in this kind of geometric, linear setting is in the exactness (if that's a word?!) of it. It's a simple, plain design so there's no details or fussiness for any flaws to hide behind so you really need all the angles and lines to match exactly. I went with handmade for that reason and justified it on the basis that it was for a (very late) push present, major wedding anniversary and landmark birthday all rolled into one!

On the positives, it does add great coverage which you want, and the extra baguettes add lots more surfaces for light to play off so it adds more life to a step cut, to my eye anyway.

And if someone told me I could pick any piece of jewellery from anywhere in the world but could only wear that one piece for the rest of my life, I think I'd pick this. Maybe it's one of those Marmite styles that people either love or hate? Actually that would make a great thread if it hasn't already been done - what piece would you wear if you could only pick one for life? I'd be intrigued to see if people went for the sentiment of an engagement ring or the possibly more unique, personal style of right hand rings or other pieces!

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker 2006, WOW! That is quite a difference. Pretty darn amazing, actually. Thanks so much for posting that photo as it gives me a great perspective on what a halo might do for my ring. :) Love all those rings on your finger, btw.

lizzy, that is one awesome setting you posted. Am discouraged about the price to set, however.
I am planning on going to my jeweler and I will post back with the quote they will give me. Keep your fingers crossed it's not too high!

Thanks all!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
hi- if you click on my name you can see my EC show me the bling thread , I went from a three stone to a partial halo and it is NIGHT n DAY diff in size/style/look.

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Art deco lover and soxfan, I'm confused. Are you guys talking about the same ring in your posts? Whosever it is, I love it! it's a great looking ring! What are the specs on it?

Here's another update, I took both the pear and the emerald cut to the jewelers. The designer wasn't there so I didn't' get a quote. But the jeweler told me that the pear was cut much too shallow to be a suitable piece for a ring and the color wasn't as good as that of the EC.(Pear is a J, EC is a G). I asked him about maybe upgrading the EC a little but he said he wouldn't take it as it was under 2 carats and he told me EC under 2 cts. are not selling for him. Rats! He also told me that my ring was missing two prongs and the others were weak and I was about to lose the diamond, so not to wear it EVER again! I will update again after tomorrow when I meet with the designer.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
avalonrose|1467128149|4049204 said:
Art deco lover and soxfan, I'm confused. Are you guys talking about the same ring in your posts? Whosever it is, I love it! it's a great looking ring! What are the specs on it?

Here's another update, I took both the pear and the emerald cut to the jewelers. The designer wasn't there so I didn't' get a quote. But the jeweler told me that the pear was cut much too shallow to be a suitable piece for a ring and the color wasn't as good as that of the EC.(Pear is a J, EC is a G). I asked him about maybe upgrading the EC a little but he said he wouldn't take it as it was under 2 carats and he told me EC under 2 cts. are not selling for him. Rats! He also told me that my ring was missing two prongs and the others were weak and I was about to lose the diamond, so not to wear it EVER again! I will update again after tomorrow when I meet with the designer.

Yes! Same ring. I think it will give you exactly what you are looking for. Love affair diamonds is where you would inquire about it. Their bench (Caysie Van Bebber) created it. She's amazing. I have one setting from her and another on the way.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Yes, Caysie Van Bebber and I designed it together last year :) I gave her permission to use the design with other customers if they would like to. The specs on the center emerald cut-it is 8.04 mm x 5.32 mm - vvs2 - i

Hope this helps :)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1467129734|4049216 said:
Hi! Yes, Caysie Van Bebber and I designed it together last year :) I gave her permission to use the design with other customers if they would like to. The specs on the center emerald cut-it is 8.04 mm x 5.32 mm - vvs2 - i

Hope this helps :)

I love your ring. One of my favorites on PS..... :love:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
thank you so much soxfan, it is SO sweet of you to say that! I love every tiny detail about it, caysie is amazing and the process was unlike any other I have worked with (and I have done many custom pieces lol :dance: ).

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1467130420|4049226 said:
thank you so much soxfan, it is SO sweet of you to say that! I love every tiny detail about it, caysie is amazing and the process was unlike any other I have worked with (and I have done many custom pieces lol :dance: ).

She's great. Sometimes I worry about bugging her too much LOL!!! My antique pear ring will be done soon. It was a custom design based on an antique ring she found on 1st dibs. I can't wait to share it when I get it!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I highly recommend you check out Caysie Van Bebber!

artdecolover71's ring is exquisite and looks HUGE!! She is right -- a halo makes all the difference in the world! I also like a bezel set airline halo on emerald cuts. It is a cool design aesthetic, outlines the shape of the stone, AND adds a good bit more finger coverage! :love:

Here in an EC in an bezeled airline halo:
ec_airline_halo.jpg
ec_airline_halo_closeup.png

Here is a link to a similar style... It belongs to webdiva and I believe it's a Beverly K (which is very affordable and great quality) -- I think it looks AMAZING and really adds a LOT of look to a smaller stone. (I believe she had BK add the round bezels, which I think makes it look even better!)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buying-a-ring-in-los-angeles-local-and-online-reviews.174086/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buying-a-ring-in-los-angeles-local-and-online-reviews.174086/[/URL]

webdiva_bk_airline_halo2.jpg
webdiva_bk_airline_halo1_3.jpg

If you are concerned about budget, I think BK would be a good option as well...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1467134067|4049241 said:
artdecolover71|1467130420|4049226 said:

She's great. Sometimes I worry about bugging her too much LOL!!! My antique pear ring will be done soon. It was a custom design based on an antique ring she found on 1st dibs. I can't wait to share it when I get it!

OMG, sox, I bugged the HELL out of Caysie, and she was always so so sweet! ...If she can deal with my crazy, then she must have a whole lot of patience! God, I can't wait to see your antique pear!!! It's gonna be so awesome -- UGH!!! If only my bank account could accommodate my jewelry habit! ...but I digress. ::)

...sorry to hijack the thread, OP! :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP, if you have your heart set on a baguette halo, why not combine that idea with a bezeled airline halo? Similar to the ring that was posted earlier, but have baguettes for the halo? I will say one thing regarding cost... for whatever reason, baguettes are pretty expensive. However, If you could do baguettes on the longer portions, then connect them at the corners with another cut (even a round), that would definitely help costs because they wouldn't have to special cut the baguettes to fit, KWIM?

ec_airline_halo_0.png

Another vendor to consider is David Klass. His workmanship is really nice, and he is very affordable. I had a ring from him, as well as many PS members, and I was very impressed! You can go to his Pinterest or Instagram account(s) and check out his work!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, those rings were not on my finger. They belong to kimber318 and her daughters. Lucky ladies!

Soxfan, I cannot wait to see your new ring!!! :appl:

And msop...I am with you on the budget and wants not matching up! :lol:

I will add that I had an emerald cut sapphire set by Caysie van Bebber this year, so add me to the list of happy owners of her rings!

_37655.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1467136028|4049265 said:

OP, if you have your heart set on a baguette halo, why not combine that idea with a bezeled airline halo? Similar to the ring that was posted earlier, but have baguettes for the halo? I will say one thing regarding cost... for whatever reason, baguettes are pretty expensive. However, If you could do baguettes on the longer portions, then connect them at the corners with another cut (even a round), that would definitely help costs because they wouldn't have to special cut the baguettes to fit, KWIM?

ec_airline_halo_0.png

Another vendor to consider is David Klass. His workmanship is really nice, and he is very affordable. I had a ring from him, as well as many PS members, and I was very impressed! You can go to his Pinterest or Instagram account(s) and check out his work!

I adore this ring. Seriously. Right now I have an antique asscher that is too large to set in that setting, and I am tempted to sell it to buy a smaller one like in this ring.

I will take a wild stab and say a ring like this would be in the $3k+ range in platinum. Baguette halo will be a good bit more due to having the stones custom cut to fit the design.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1467136216|4049268 said:
msop04|1467136028|4049265 said:

ec_airline_halo_0.png

I adore this ring. Seriously. Right now I have an antique asscher that is too large to set in that setting, and I am tempted to sell it to buy a smaller one like in this ring.

I will take a wild stab and say a ring like this would be in the $3k+ range in platinum. Baguette halo will be a good bit more due to having the stones custom cut to fit the design.

DS, what do you think DK would charge for that ring? It may be worth it to ask for a quote...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, what is your budget? That will determine the direction other posters may want to go... I don't think that's been established yet in this thread... :wavey:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1467140382|4049291 said:
OP, what is your budget? That will determine the direction other posters may want to go... I don't think that's been established yet in this thread... :wavey:

Yes! Give your budget and people will be able to help you find something spectacular AND in your price range.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd do a threestone with Emerald cut sides or step cut trapezoidal. Beautiful and really good coverage.

This is my friend's ring.

_37657.jpg

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Well, I got a quote. $10,000 because of the baguettes having to be hand cut! It sucks because I am DEAD SET on this design. I mean, I don't want anything else! But that is not within my budget. I was thinking it would be $6-7 K. I could have done that. But 10?????? I'm sad. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results