shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump Threatens...Secretary Clinton's Life?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1470912175|4064691 said:
Maria D|1470883423|4064607 said:
So I think If/Then is the correct format here. Perhaps a true grammarian, AGBF? Ksinger?, can weigh in. Or Haven -- whatever happened to Haven?

I am not sure I can claim to be a "true grammarian", but when my daughter told me, a year or so ago, that people now had trouble discerning the difference between "then" and "than" I was stunned. Maria is right and kenny is wrong.

Here is the initial discussion.

kenny|1470882806|4064599 said:
Maria D|1470880819|4064590 said:
... Are you saying if liberals didn't always point out that they tend to be more educated then conservatives would be more likely to consider liberal policies?

(snip)

It's 'than' not 'then'.
Then is about time.
Than is about comparison.

(snip)

(snip)

Kenny, I am a math teacher. In Geometry, the theorems are always* written as If/Then statements.

(snip)

Maria was saying that if one thing were true or happened, then another would happen. It wasn't a comparison. If one thing happened, then another would follow (later in time if you wish).

I won't claim grammarian either, but will merely add that as a computer programmer, if/then (there are slightly different flavors of course) is standard in my world. And it is correct to say, if this, then that.

The area where I get into trouble, I'm sure, is commas. I tend to write as I speak and put commas where I think I need them, not where some punctuation authority says I do. In the case above, I think a comma would have helped. I confess I had to read it twice to make sure what was being said. But even without one, I got it.

And your daughter's revelation is interesting. I know certain parts of the world - like where I am - have great difficulty even hearing the differences, than/then, pan/pen/pin, that sort of thing. I suppose that could spill over into the written word too....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many thanks to Gypsy and Redwood for such in-depth posts that is well articulated and polite (non-inflamatory). I have read them and will re-read them later today to make sure I fully understand each point, and perhaps summon up the bravery to try to express my views as well.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1470912175|4064691 said:
So I think If/Then is the correct format here. Perhaps a true grammarian, AGBF? Ksinger?, can weigh in. Or Haven -- whatever happened to Haven?

I am not sure I can claim to be a "true grammarian", but when my daughter told me, a year or so ago, that people now had trouble discerning the difference between "then" and "than" I was stunned. Maria is right and kenny is wrong.

Here is the initial discussion.

kenny|1470882806|4064599 said:
Maria D|1470880819|4064590 said:
... Are you saying if liberals didn't always point out that they tend to be more educated then conservatives would be more likely to consider liberal policies?

(snip)

It's 'than' not 'then'.
Then is about time.
Than is about comparison.

(snip)

(snip)

Kenny, I am a math teacher. In Geometry, the theorems are always* written as If/Then statements.

(snip)

Maria was saying that if one thing were true or happened, then another would happen. It wasn't a comparison. If one thing happened, then another would follow (later in time if you wish).

kenny is partially right in that people often misuse then when than should be used. It is a pet peeve of mine.

However in reading Maria's sentence she is correct using then in this instance as Deb said. :lol:

I love the English language and was actually toying with becoming an English professor when I was in college since I was an English major for a short time. Typing on PS encourages me to use words that are not the norm in daily conversation with people and that is a good thing. English is a hard language to learn if it is not your native tongue.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Redwood, thank you. I want to give your response the time and attention it deserves and I did not sleep at all (cat is still sick). So I will likely respond over the weekend (tomorrow is very busy).

Just so you know, I have read your response, very much appreciate it, and am happy to see we agree on many things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results