shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump Threatens...Secretary Clinton's Life?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although this topic has been mentioned in other threads today, it is startling and deserves its own thread. A threat, veiled or otherwise, against the life of someone running for president should not be taken lightly. If someone other than Donald Trump had said this, this Secret Service would be investigating it.

Excerpted from "The Washington Post"
Trump appears to encourage gun owners to take action if Clinton appoints anti-gun judges
By Sean Sullivan and Isaac Stanley-Becker August 9 at 4:30 PM

Republican U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks in Wilmington, N.C., on Aug. 9. (Eric Thayer/Reuters)

WILMINGTON, N.C. — Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, speaking at a rally in Wilmington, N.C., on Tuesday, appeared to encourage gun owners to take action if Hillary Clinton is elected president and appoints judges who oppose gun rights.

The mogul said that Clinton 'wants to abolish, to essentially abolish the Second Amendment,' a charge she has flatly denied. He said that if Clinton becomes president, she could appoint judges who would leave Americans nearly helpless on this front.

'By the way, and if she gets to pick — if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,' Trump warned. 'Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know.'

It was not clear whether Trump was inciting gun owners to use their weapons against judges or a sitting president, or was encouraging some other action.

Trump campaign senior communications adviser Jason Miller released a statement shortly after the comment, swatting down the idea that the mogul was suggesting any form of violence.

'It’s called the power of unification — 2nd Amendment people have amazing spirit and are tremendously unified, which gives them great political power," Miller said in the statement. "And this year, they will be voting in record numbers, and it won’t be for Hillary Clinton, it will be for Donald Trump.'

Clinton's campaign was also swift to respond to Trump's comments.

'This is simple — what Trump is saying is dangerous,' Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook said in a statement. 'A person seeking to be the President of the United States should not suggest violence in any way.'

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), a Clinton supporter and staunch gun-control advocate, said on Twitter:' Don't treat this as a political misstep. It's an assassination threat, seriously upping the possibility of a national tragedy & crisis.'

— Chris Murphy (@ChrisMurphyCT) August 9, 2016"

(Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal are the Senators from my home state and are well-respected.)

AGBF

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this from Dan Rather's FB page...

No trying-to-be objective and fair journalist, no citizen who cares about the country and its future can ignore what Donald Trump said today. When he suggested that "The Second Amendment People" can stop Hillary Clinton he crossed a line with dangerous potential. By any objective analysis, this is a new low and unprecedented in the history of American presidential politics. This is no longer about policy, civility, decency or even temperament. This is a direct threat of violence against a political rival. It is not just against the norms of American politics, it raises a serious question of whether it is against the law. If any other citizen had said this about a Presidential candidate, would the Secret Service be investigating?

Candidate Trump will undoubtably issue an explanation; some of his surrogates are already engaged in trying to gloss it over, but once the words are out there they cannot be taken back. That is what inciting violence means.

To anyone who still pretends this is a normal election of Republican against Democrat, history is watching. And I suspect its verdict will be harsh. Many have tried to do a side-shuffle and issue statements saying they strongly disagree with his rhetoric but still support the candidate. That is becoming woefully insufficient. The rhetoric is the candidate.

This cannot be treated as just another outrageous moment in the campaign. We will see whether major newscasts explain how grave and unprecedented this is and whether the headlines in tomorrow's newspapers do it justice. We will soon know whether anyone who has publicly supported Trump explains how they can continue to do.

We are a democratic republic governed by the rule of law. We are an honest, fair and decent people. In trying to come to terms with today's discouraging development the best I can do is to summon our greatest political poet Abraham Lincoln for perspective:

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Lincoln used these stirring words to end his First Inaugural Address. It was the eve of the Civil War and sadly his call for sanity, cohesion and peace was met with horrific violence that almost left our precious Union asunder. We cannot let that happen again.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The f*%k?

What an obviously thinly veiled threat and insinuation that Mrs. Clinton deserves to be assassinated.

Whole new low. Unforgiveable. Unforgettable.

It's funny: I distinctly remember a former member of PS making a sarcastic or joking comment on Facebook years ago about a political figure and it had to do with this very topic. Wouldn't you know, another member who had it in for her was in cahoots with yet another member who at the time had close ties with the federal powers that be... the PS member who made the public comment was at home with their young child a very short time later when she received a visit from the feds. (yeah, this all occurred after political talk became a banned subject on PS and about the time that the original PSFB group was formed.)

My point in sharing that little tidbit is that if we lowly citizens are watched so closely and it's THAT BIG OF A DEAL to state our opinions and basically say "fire" in a movie theater, or "bomb" on an airplane and pay dearly for it, why the HELL is Trump allowed to get away with this bullshit???

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1470792005|4064095 said:
I just posted this in another thread Deb, but I'll put it here too, because you'll enjoy reading it I think.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/trumps-assassination-dog-whistle-was-scarier-than-you-think-w433615

I did enjoy reading the article and the ideas were articulated beautifully, but it really stated what I had meant (in my fumbling way) when I posted earlier today on Pricescope. I said that there are always people in America (I may have said lunatics, I will have to check) ready with guns and that all that it takes to get one motivated to use one against a presidential candidate is a word in his ear from someone like Trump. I admit that I didn't have the scientific theory behind how this can work systematically formulated, and I had never before heard the word "stochastic", but I could envision how it would play out right now with Secretary Clinton. I could easily see Trump speaking and a nut somewhere shooting her and Trump saying, "I never said I wanted Clinton harmed!" and then a big funeral for her with Trump as chief mourner.

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another great column that just came out. I am printing the beginning of it. Click on the link to keep reading.

From "The New York Times"

Trump’s Ambiguous Wink Wink to ‘Second Amendment People’

Thomas L. Friedman AUG. 9, 2016

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin got assassinated.

His right-wing opponents just kept delegitimizing him as a 'traitor' and 'a Nazi' for wanting to make peace with the Palestinians and give back part of the Land of Israel. Of course, all is fair in politics, right? And they had God on their side, right? They weren’t actually telling anyone to assassinate Rabin. That would be horrible.

But there are always people down the line who don’t hear the caveats. They just hear the big message: The man is illegitimate, the man is a threat to the nation, the man is the equivalent of a Nazi war criminal. Well, you know what we do with people like that, don’t you? We kill them.

And that’s what the Jewish extremist Yigal Amir did to Rabin. Why not? He thought he had permission from a whole segment of Israel’s political class.

In September, I wrote a column warning that Donald Trump’s language toward immigrants could end up inciting just this kind of violence. I never in my wildest dreams, though, thought he’d actually — in his usual coy, twisted way — suggest that Hillary Clinton was so intent on taking away the Second Amendment right to be bear arms that maybe Second Amendment enthusiasts could do something to stop her. Exactly what? Oh, Trump left that hanging."

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/opinion/trumps-ambiguous-wink-wink-to-second-amendment-people.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1470794783|4064121 said:
ksinger|1470792005|4064095 said:
I just posted this in another thread Deb, but I'll put it here too, because you'll enjoy reading it I think.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/trumps-assassination-dog-whistle-was-scarier-than-you-think-w433615

I did enjoy reading the article and the ideas were articulated beautifully, but it really stated what I had meant (in my fumbling way) when I posted earlier today on Pricescope. I said that there are always people in America (I may have said lunatics, I will have to check) ready with guns and that all that it takes to get one motivated to use one against a presidential candidate is a word in his ear from someone like Trump. I admit that I didn't have the scientific theory behind how this can work systematically formulated, and I had never before heard the word "stochastic", but I could envision how it would play out right now with Secretary Clinton. I could easily see Trump speaking and a nut somewhere shooting her and Trump saying, "I never said I wanted Clinton harmed!" and then a big funeral for her with Trump as chief mourner.

Deb/AGBF

Yes, it is hard to articulate, but I think many many people understand the concept quite well - that words have power. Real power. And that there is more communication going on in some people's words, than the mere words themselves.

It's the difference between "Hey, baby" and "Hey baby", where one is OK and the other is sleazy. People pick up on so much else than just the words.

What he said was so not a joke...it was deadly serious, and yes, they should be doubling up the detail on Clinton and setting some guys to watch over the SC judges.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scumbag Trump speaks codewordese, fluently.
The KKK and the other scum of America hear his messages, loud and clear.

Trump is adept at talking out of both sides of his mouth.
He says X, but later says, "I never said X". :nono:
... sound familiar? :knockout:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel sick.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The New York Times" is running this editorial. I have edited out some parts that have already been said before in this thread.

Three months from the presidential election, and one day after his running mate promised 'specific policy proposals for how we rebuild this country at home and abroad,' Americans find themselves asking whether Donald Trump has called for the assassination of Hillary Clinton.

On Tuesday at a rally in North Carolina, Mr. Trump falsely charged, as he has before, that 'Hillary wants to abolish, essentially abolish, the Second Amendment.' (snip)

Directly behind him, a supporter’s jaw dropped. (snip)

Was it a threat? Mr. Trump’s campaign has been marked by extraordinarily combative rhetoric. At another rally, he said he would like to punch a protester in the face and see him leave 'on a stretcher.' His supporters have shouted 'kill her' when he mentions Mrs. Clinton. The Republican convention heard cries of 'lock her up.' A New Hampshire delegate, Al Baldasaro, called for Mrs. Clinton to 'be put in the firing line and shot for treason.'

That comment wound up on the Secret Service’s radar. Mr. Trump’s comment should as well.

Seldom, if ever, have Americans been exposed to a candidate so willing to descend to the depths of bigotry and intolerance as Mr. Trump. That he would make Tuesday’s comment amid sinking poll numbers and a wave of Republican defections suggests that when bathed in the adulation of a crowd, Mr. Trump is unable to control himself.

Just eight years ago, Senator John McCain of Arizona, then the Republican presidential nominee, told a man at a town hall session who said he was 'scared' of an Obama presidency that Mr. Obama 'is a decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared as president of the United States.'

Twenty minutes later, a woman told Mr. McCain that she couldn’t trust Mr. Obama because 'he’s an Arab.' 'No ma’am,' Mr. McCain replied. 'He’s a decent family man, a citizen, that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues. And that’s what this campaign is all about.'

Republicans would do well to summon the integrity that Mr. McCain showed in 2008, and not just to give some sense of decency to this ugly campaign. The time has come for Republicans — including Mr. McCain — to repudiate Mr. Trump once and for all."

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just when you think he can't sink any lower.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rest of the world cannot believe that your citizens have allowed this unstable F-wit to even run as a potential president. :nono: :errrr:
I sincerely hope that some of the conservatives here that keep stating that the world won't end if he is in power and it won't be that bad are really starting to question the validity of this theory. Unstable is as unstable does.....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1470820789|4064204 said:
The rest of the world cannot believe that your citizens have allowed this unstable F-wit to even run as a potential president. :nono: :errrr:
I sincerely hope that some of the conservatives here that keep stating that the world won't end if he is in power and it won't be that bad are really starting to question the validity of this theory. Unstable is as unstable does.....

arkieb, it's not just the rest of the world believe me. We (many Americans) cannot believe it either. :errrr:

Trump is definitely a symptom but he is a HUGE problem all on his own. How did he get this far. I keep telling myself there is NO way he will get elected but no one who has the privilege and right to vote should stay home election day. We all must vote to make sure Trump does not win this election.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1470823229|4064211 said:

arkieb, it's not just the rest of the world believe me. We (many Americans) cannot believe it either. :errrr:

Trump is definitely a symptom but he is a HUGE problem all on his own. How did he get this far. I keep telling myself there is NO way he will get elected but no one who has the privilege and right to vote should stay home election day. We all must vote to make sure Trump does not win this election.

The specter of a Trump, is why the parties have, in the past, not been all that democratic (in the original sense). Their goal in selecting candidates was (is) to put forth the candidate that best represents the platform of ideas/goals, and who is electable, not to appease pitchfork wielding masses. While the gradual move over many decades, to make that process more inclusive of the average party member, has had its good points, now we are seeing what happens when the brakes are reduced or broken. You get a Trump. Or a Sanders. While they are very different, they are both fringe candidates with little electability outside the primaries. We are seeing this now. Trump can't "pivot" in any direction, let alone to the middle.

Another pesky little truth, is that Trump IS the what the Republicans have wrought. They are desperately trying to gnaw their way out of it by projecting that shadow onto the Dems or whatever, but a Trump is almost an inevitability after decades of stoking fear and anger and aggrieved entitlement. In a real sense, the Republican party has become the party of a massive drug addiction, and now they're hitting rock bottom. They stoked the fear of (insert all the things like fear of brown people, government - what we all know) and anger at perceived encroachment on "their" America. But fear and anger are like drugs - at some point the body adapts and you need to up the dose. And the Republicans cynically kept proffering more and stronger red meat to whip up more of the fear/anger that they could use to motivate their members to vote for them. They didn't reckon that the bill would come due, but it finally has. And Trump is shoving all Republicans' faces in what they REALLY created. He IS their candidate, and that is massively ugly, and they know it. And here on PS, IMO, it's the real reason that we've had a lot of whining about how conservatives are outnumbered, and/or periodic spates of GCPS when the political discourse isn't just so. Under the guise of getting your knickers in a twist about tone, you can save face and exit an uncomfortable discussion where people have the gall to discuss in polite company, the factors that created the monster, without having to admit your party doesn't just have problems that need fixing, but that it needs to be smothered with a pillow.

The reality is, there is no equivalence here, between the candidates, NONE. And defenses of or support of Trump are increasingly odious to a huge proportion of Americans.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually, I think we have run redwood off this forum, and I miss her.

Deb

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the immortal words of Joseph N. Welch:

"Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1470837528|4064248 said:
Deb
Yes, we have and I am very sorry to see her leave.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not a liberal newspaper. In fact, it sells most of its copy to the very people who have been the most avid supporters of Donald Trump.

"Editorials
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 6:43 PM

Donald Trump must end his campaign for the White House in a reckoning with his own madness, while praying that nothing comes of his musing about an assassination of Hillary Clinton.

In the event that Trump fails to abandon his candidacy — as he seems determined to — the Republican Party, including vice presidential nominee Mike Pence, must instead abandon Trump for toying with political bloodshed."

Link...http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/trump-hinting-assassination-article-1.2744789

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

As I've said before, nothing in this election is a surprise to me any more, so this latest turn of events is much the same. I already have established an opinion of Trump (that he's an emotionally unstable arrogant ass...), so Its difficult to get me fired up over this sort of thing. It's unsettling, but this entire election has been unsettling to me. My opinions (that the world probably won't end should he become president) remain unchanged.
And yes, I miss redwood too.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1470840635|4064258 said:
Video of man behind Trump hearing what he said about how Secretary Clinton could be taken care of.

Link...https://vine.co/v/5bezz2QJp2w

And, note that first the WOMAN behind him, and then the man, both laughed at what was obviously a naughty joke. Male humor must be incomprehensible and shocking to a lot of people, apparently. The statement was outrageous and over the top, on purpose. :roll:

That said, I still watch Trump on TV and lament "Just STFU!" :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1470833096|4064233 said:
missy|1470823229|4064211 said:

The specter of a Trump, is why the parties have, in the past, not been all that democratic (in the original sense). Their goal in selecting candidates was (is) to put forth the candidate that best represents the platform of ideas/goals, and who is electable, not to appease pitchfork wielding masses. While the gradual move over many decades, to make that process more inclusive of the average party member, has had its good points, now we are seeing what happens when the brakes are reduced or broken. You get a Trump. Or a Sanders. While they are very different, they are both fringe candidates with little electability outside the primaries. We are seeing this now. Trump can't "pivot" in any direction, let alone to the middle.

Another pesky little truth, is that Trump IS the what the Republicans have wrought. They are desperately trying to gnaw their way out of it by projecting that shadow onto the Dems or whatever, but a Trump is almost an inevitability after decades of stoking fear and anger and aggrieved entitlement. In a real sense, the Republican party has become the party of a massive drug addiction, and now they're hitting rock bottom. They stoked the fear of (insert all the things like fear of brown people, government - what we all know) and anger at perceived encroachment on "their" America. But fear and anger are like drugs - at some point the body adapts and you need to up the dose. And the Republicans cynically kept proffering more and stronger red meat to whip up more of the fear/anger that they could use to motivate their members to vote for them. They didn't reckon that the bill would come due, but it finally has. And Trump is shoving all Republicans' faces in what they REALLY created. He IS their candidate, and that is massively ugly, and they know it. And here on PS, IMO, it's the real reason that we've had a lot of whining about how conservatives are outnumbered, and/or periodic spates of GCPS when the political discourse isn't just so. Under the guise of getting your knickers in a twist about tone, you can save face and exit an uncomfortable discussion where people have the gall to discuss in polite company, the factors that created the monster, without having to admit your party doesn't just have problems that need fixing, but that it needs to be smothered with a pillow.

The reality is, there is no equivalence here, between the candidates, NONE. And defenses of or support of Trump are increasingly odious to a huge proportion of Americans.

Well I assume this is directed at me? That is fine and you are entitled to your opinion - nasty as the delivery may be. You, and others like you, are keyboard warriors. Polite company? Ha - that is a laugh.

Conservatives who are reading now, this is how many (not all) liberals view you and your opinion. You are too stupid to be allowed to vote, but your vote counts just as much as theirs and it bothers them immensely. And they are supposed to be the party of the people? It appears that is the case only if you share their views. Just please get out and vote.

Liberals I am going to tell you something you don't want to hear or will acknowledge. The rise of Trump lies equally in the hands of the liberal progressives and their policies, and the establishment republicans. Tens of thousands of people who had never voted before cast a vote for Trump in the primary. That should be a wake up call to you. Rural America is fed up with all government which includes progressive ideas and do nothing republicans who maintain the status quo. Are you scared? You should be. Because this is what happens when people feel they are not being heard or are working hard only to see much of their earned wealth be taken by a government who squanders it. If you don't realize this is what has happened then your head is in the sand and you can keep typing all the anti-republican rhetoric you want. But I know the truth. We reap what we sow.

And this particular post is not in support of Trump but merely an opposing opinion as to why he has become the nominee.

Carry on with your nastiness because you will just be proving my point.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1470839369|4064256 said:
Deb

I just needed a break ladies. Thank you so much.

momhappy you too!

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1470840953|4064261 said:

As I've said before, nothing in this election is a surprise to me any more, so this latest turn of events is much the same. I already have established an opinion of Trump (that he's an emotionally unstable arrogant a$$...), so Its difficult to get me fired up over this sort of thing. It's unsettling, but this entire election has been unsettling to me. My opinions (that the world probably won't end should he become president) remain unchanged.
And yes, I miss redwood too.

MH, I agree that we can survive either of these unfortunate choices of the major parties.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1470843091|4064273 said:
Chrono|1470839369|4064256 said:

I just needed a break ladies. Thank you so much.

momhappy you too!

Welcome home!

Deb :wavey:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Red, you are back! :appl: :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Deb and AnnaH. :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I'm so glad you are back. :appl: :wavey: I sincerely apologize if I said things to upset you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1470843091|4064273 said:
I just needed a break ladies. Thank you so much. momhappy you too!

Glad to see you back! I may not agree with all your views and opinions but it has been very helpful to try to see things from the other side. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results