shape
carat
color
clarity

Trillion Setting

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Hi guys! So I've purchased a trillion mahenge spinel and realized quite belatedly that all the stock trillion settings are, well, hideous. I was hoping you guys would share pictures of your trillion settings so that I may get some inspiration when I design my own!

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Niel! I do love Yvonne's designs... if I end up modeling my e-ring after her, I'll make sure to get her permission first!

My trillion is supposed to come to me tomorrow. Once it does, I'll post photos, since I know everyone loves to see these glowy gems!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes of course!

Is it a symmetrical trillion or elongated?

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Hmm more of a symmetrical shape I think! Here's the vendor photo. It's the very top one, 1.28 carats from Prima.

_857.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's really lovely ! I've always like that.

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I didn't think I was a trillion type girl until I received the videos. I'm very sad we can't post the videos here, because they are so pretty! I hope it's like that in real life.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shapes are funny like that. You go in thinking you want something and often ends up totally different!

Is this to be your engagement ring?

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Yes it is! My fiancé proposed with an empty ring box (much to my initial dismay and confusion) because he wanted to pick out the stone and design the ring together. However, this process has become a much greater feat than previously imagined.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
David Klass made this setting for NKOTB that would also work for a trillion

_1090.jpg _1091.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the settings I have in mind for my trillion CSs:

flowerring_1.jpg
1_50.png
56__1_.jpg
s-l500__50_.jpg

DK :))

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh love those settings DK thanks for posting. If I ever have a trillion I'd go for the heart setting :lickout:

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats on your engagement! :appl:

What's your style? Do you like halos and bling or are you wanting to keep the ring pretty streamlined and sleek?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have such a beautiful stone :love: :love:
I love the heart setting DK suggested.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1451327611|3967411 said:
You have such a beautiful stone :love: :love:
I love the heart setting DK suggested.
I'm the worst but that heart setting above reminds me of lady parts

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you wanted some soli ideas....

picsart_12-28-05.jpg

ejrin40949_z.jpg

custom-chrysoberyl-trilliant-yellow-gold-solitaire-ring-by-whiteflash-20422_1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I think a plain shank halo would be just lovely. It would need twisty shanks or a lot of angular what have you like a lot of them seem to.

Done with large halo stones a la princess diana could be quite lovely. This isnt the best example but made well I think it would be lovely

Or an antique styles would also be lovely like this sans the inner sapphire halo.

picsart_12.jpg

es444-1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ivy new York makes incredible halos that are just a tad out of the ordinary. Look through their stuff and you'll gets all sorts of inspiration

In this first one I'm trying g to show you the one on the left. It's a pear, not a trillion obviously, but I think it gives you an idea of the color and shape with a large diamond halo. And all those prongs give it a decidedly regal feel

This next one is obviously to show the top one, I love how they kind of even out the shape by adding halo points in between the natural points of the trillion. I'd probably only do one halo though

ivy_newyork_988197957214655154_969595755.png

ivy_newyork_1113044175928677069_969595755.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one takes a little imagination, but you can easily imagine this without a bow, and it gives you an idea of how to .make this very vintage

crousechris_1149104246536226789_1927613024.png

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
WOW thank you all for the suggestions!! I had no idea a trillion had all these wonderful settings! I'm a bit torn between a plain solitaire setting (like the yellow chrysoberyl one) or one with a single halo of diamonds. I loooove sparkle and was originally leaning towards a fancy halo, but practicality won over. I didn't want it to be too blingy for everyday wear. I also like how sparkly the spinel is, and I was a little worried that a halo might dampen the sparkle factor (hence the consideration of the chrysoberyl setting).

Anyway, as promised, here are the photos! Please excuse my chapped hands. I was washing dishes when I heard the doorbell. Also, winter has not been kind to my skin :(

_1265.jpeg

_1266.jpeg

_1267.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely! How do you feel about it? Is it what you where hoping?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also,a plain shank halo, I've found, is the perfect everyday way to get a bit of bling. A plain shank keeps it casual and the diamonds outside give it a lovely framing to the fact shape.

Also, if this matters to you I don't know, but others can seem to wrap their heads around colored stone e rings better when they have diamonds around them. Now to many it doesn't matter, but not everyone wants to always be asked by others "is that your engagement ring?"

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I definitely like its brilliance, but was a little put off by the lack of glow. I was hoping for a more battery-charged fuchsia look, but it's hard to discern that online, even through video! That being said, it's still a very pretty gem. I might keep it anyway, despite the absence of glow.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ScarletRpsdy|1451345042|3967592 said:
Thank you! I definitely like its brilliance, but was a little put off by the lack of glow. I was hoping for a more battery-charged fuchsia look, but it's hard to discern that online, even through video!

I'm inclined to say, if you didn't love it at first site, it may need to go back....

But only you can know that.

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Wise words, I will have to think on it some more then!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey,

Any decisions on that stone? I though of you when I saw this. Looked glowy (if it actually looks like the pics) and is priced low due to its size, you could get some diamond side stones to really bulk up the setting.

Anyways he's a pic

_75.gif

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Hi Niel, the morning found me as indecisive as ever! My eyes keep being drawn to the sparkles, but I'm still a bit put off by the lack of glow. I'm wondering how realistic it is to keep buying and returning spinels just for that factor alone. Teetering towards keeping it because it's still an attractive stone (and I've already bought and returned 3 other stones and it's getting expensive!)

That being said, this new one you posted is just lovely!! Thank you for thinking of me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ScarletRpsdy|1451407787|3967897 said:
Hi Niel, the morning found me as indecisive as ever! My eyes keep being drawn to the sparkles, but I'm still a bit put off by the lack of glow. I'm wondering how realistic it is to keep buying and returning spinels just for that factor alone. Teetering towards keeping it because it's still an attractive stone (and I've already bought and returned 3 other stones and it's getting expensive!)

That being said, this new one you posted is just lovely!! Thank you for thinking of me.

I have to agree that if you don't love it I'd suggest returning. Even if it is expensive to buy and return, it will be more expensive down the line to replace your ring because you aren't in love with the center stone. I think for this important of a purchase you need to be 100% in love. Of course I think it's a beautiful stone, but just wanted to encourage you to go with your gut :wavey:

S

SparkliesLuver

ScarletRpsdy said:

Does it have a small feather near one of the corners? If so, I think it's the same stone I ordered and looked at earlier this year. The weight and dimensions seem the same, from memory. If it is the same stone, it was nice but you're right about the lack of glow. If a strong glow is on your "must have" list, you might want to prepare yourself for a decently long journey - that's a pretty difficult trait to find these days (at least in my experience). Buying and returning stones does add up, but you're also talking about your engagement ring stone. Only you know if you'll truly be happy with it forever. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results