carat
color
clarity

Trend Vent - Current Jewelry Things You Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

yiska

Shiny_Rock
Re: Trend Vent - Current Jewelry Things You Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

artdecogirl|1306263525|2929273 said:
Ok, not a jewelry trend but since we are discussing cutlet vs culet, broach vs brooch and so forth please you drive to the mall to a jewelry store, you do not go to a maul. A maul is a big hammer used to split wood. Thank you, vent over.

I could be wrong... but I think people call it a "maul" as a play on words (because you are "mauled" by pushy sales assistants there)

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

Yeah, people are being openly derisive. The maul is on purpose. To each his own. I don't go to the mall stores to buy fine jewelry but I don't need to call them maul stores.

princesss

Ideal_Rock

yiska|1306265763|2929291 said:
artdecogirl|1306263525|2929273 said:
Ok, not a jewelry trend but since we are discussing cutlet vs culet, broach vs brooch and so forth please you drive to the mall to a jewelry store, you do not go to a maul. A maul is a big hammer used to split wood. Thank you, vent over.

I could be wrong... but I think people call it a "maul" as a play on words (because you are "mauled" by pushy sales assistants there)

And because my eyes feel mauled by their offerings! ;-)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Loving this thread - hilarious. :lol:

Mine are:

• Black Diamonds - vendors are laughing all the way to the bank
    Swarovski anything - waaaaaaaay expensive for CZ crap
    Pandora bracelets (actually anything Pandora)
    Tiffany & Co - anything silver, especially chunky hearts
    Really chunky watches on ladies
    Super tacky "created gemstone" jewellery from mall shops
    Gemstones with enormous windows in them!
    Hippie-style silver jewellery (just a personal dislike)
    Rubber bracelets proclaiming "love,peace, endanged whatever"
    Invisible set cluster diamonds - usually to create bigger princess-cut style

LaurieSarah

Rough_Rock
Trade

IndyLady|1305007818|2917108 said:
Oh jeez, I think they've all been said. David Yurman, Pandora, Return to Tiffany, calling upside down gems 'rose cut's, vendors like Laurie Sarah on Etsy that are clearly using stock LOGR's and calling them 'custom' and setting them for thousands.

I wanted to respond and let you know that I do not sell settings from LOGR. Each of my listings has the information on that ring and if it is hand made in part or completely from scratch.

Laurie Sarah

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock

I'm late to the party, but I wanted to add that while I usually don't like the invisible-set princesses, I've seen one example of this done beautifully and it was (is?) a ring owned by Winks Elf. The four princesses were kite-set, bezeled in a wide band and there was more detail to the band (other stones? filigree? I wish I had a picture) so it didn't look like they were trying to fool anyone into thinking it was a solitaire; it was just a really lovely design.

Joule

Rough_Rock
I'm ridiculously picky and I know it. I avoid trends and whimsical pieces because I know they'll be dated within a season or two, and it's too much work to try to stay caught up with the latest styles and fads. Without any disrespect meant to any PSer these things leave me cold:

1. Turquoise (really, any opaque stone)
2. Pastel colored stones of any kind (they just scream "Barbie" to me)
3. Cutesy shapes, like hearts or "Hello Kitty".
4. Cartier "Love" and "Juste un Clou" bracelets.
5. "Arm parties"

I don't know why I'm so finicky about jewelry. I'm not this way about anything else, except maybe coffee.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VCA alhambra stuff.
Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 7.08.40 PM.png

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love threads like this! I love how we are all so different. There are some things named here that I :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: (Love bracelets & the Cartier Trinity) :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

There are many things that I think are just ugly! No offense to any PS'ers as we all have different ideas of beauty. Here's my list:
Turquoise
Silver (why would I wear tin???)
HUGE watches (on men or women)
Weirdly stacked rings (like they don't fit together)
Stacking a ton of bracelets

I know there are more. :D
Cozy

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love threads like this! I love how we are all so different. There are some things named here that I :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: (Love bracelets & the Cartier Trinity) :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

There are many things that I think are just ugly! No offense to any PS'ers as we all have different ideas of beauty. Here's my list:
Turquoise
Silver (why would I wear tin???)
HUGE watches (on men or women)
Weirdly stacked rings (like they don't fit together)
Stacking a ton of bracelets

I know there are more. :D
Cozy

Silver and Tin are two different elements on the Periodic Table. Just sayin.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense to anyone but...
David Yurman - why in the world would I pay that much for sterling silver?
Tiffany - anything silver, just can't see paying that much for "tin" as someone else mentioned
Setting diamonds in silver - unless your allergic to gold or platinum I can't see it (had a co-worker whose mother left her a lovely ring with OMCs in it (gold or platinum) she took them out and reset in silver, ugghhhh)
Illusion settings - 4 princess cuts stuck together to look like one (I have never seen one that didn't lose a stone)
Black Diamonds - why

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not trying to be offensive to those who like this VC Alhambra stuff, but to me it's just nothing. I enjoy the posters who post their new stuff, but I say to myself 'hmm I just don't get why people want to wear the BSA motif" ;-)

(of course I have two Louis Vuitton pocketbooks and 1 wallet that I paid 500$ for :) ) and my bestie asked me why I would pay 1,200$ for a pocket made of burlap.. hahaha! she was right, but it was a Louis! so I think I have my little niche of WTF :)

VCA alhambra stuff.
Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 7.08.40 PM.png

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Silver and Tin are two different elements on the Periodic Table. Just sayin.
:doh:
You are correct, I was meaning Sterling Silver. :) :D Either way, I don't like either of them! Or white gold, but that's mostly because it doesn't look good on me. ;-)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
700px-Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english.svg.png Sterling is 92.5% silver. 14k gold is only 58% gold, 18k is 75%. Sterling is a lot more pure albeit less expensive.

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mixed metals in a single piece of jewelry.
Black, chocolate, champagne, irradiated blue, yellow and 'warm' (H and below) diamonds.
Pandora charms
Big watches of all kinds for both men and women
DBTY
Bezels in most circumstances
Halos/double halos
Titanium settings
Leather rope necklaces and bracelets.
Ankle bracelets (already off trend)
Toe rings
Double finger rings
Pave/micropave
Earrings that have balls, beads or pearls that are bigger in the back than those in the front
Druzy
Mixed colored gemstones in a single piece. For example, a peridot flanked by pink sapphires
Class rings (not trendy but had to say it)
Wood and onyx inlay and feather jewelry.

Joule

Rough_Rock
Mixed metals in a single piece don't bother me, if it's tastefully done, but other than that, lambskin, I'm with you!

WeeOui

Rough_Rock
Premium
Matching earrings. The symmetry bores me. I haven’t worn a matched pair since I was in the 5th grade.

Droopy studs. Buy some jumbo backs, people. You’ll be amazed by the difference they make.

Ears that were pierced too low on the lobes, or holes that have been stretched by heavy, dangly earrings. Yuck.

Dainty, barely-there necklaces that look like they would break from simply getting caught in a hairbrush or collar. Why bother?

Badly done prongs, especially those that seem to sharply jut out from the stone.

Pave anything.

Cartier’s yellow gold. It’s so yellow that it’s brassy on me. I’m thankful that their pink gold is an extremely subtle rose since I can’t wear their yellow.

I could go on, but I think that covers my biggies.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I know Silver is not "tin", and I understand the table of elements, I used that reference to mean it is less exspensive and I don't care for silver (escpecially with precious stones set in it)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add me to the David Yurman group. I'm sure his pieces are nice, I just don't connect with them at all. They look like the museum gift shop jewelry we used to buy our teachers for Christmas gifts.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have every single item listed in the hate category. But that's fine. I just have a hard time disliking any kind of jewellery. Any kind, lol. :love:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have every single item listed in the hate category. But that's fine. I just have a hard time disliking any kind of jewellery. Any kind, lol. :love:
I agree! It's jewelry, and my love is all encompassing!
My tastes change alot, too. I re-discover alot of styles and stones that I dismissed years ago.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, @stracci2000 ! I wouldn't be caught dead on yellow gold a couple of years ago and now it's all I want! My tastes change a lot and not always with the trends.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pave
Halos
Diamonds set in one's teeth
Invisible-set diamonds if the intent appears to be to look like one large diamond
Mixing diamond shapes in a ring such as round center stone and little princess cuts down the band.
I don't mind tapered baguettes next to an emerald shape tough, so you have my permission to keep those. ;))

Corny jewelry :lol-2:

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 4.26.30 PM.png

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s hard to hate any jewelry because everything can look great within a context. As an example, just today I saw a lady wearing things which I would never wear, but they looked fabulous on her! I can always appreciate the joy of contemplating about the psychology behind the choices in jewelry. There are a few things that I would not like for myself though ofcourse.
Not a fan of teeth jewelry
Not crazy about squares
Not a fan of big brand name jewelry. I feel like people rely on it as being automatically elegant or well styled without having to think, when sometimes it’s really just not. Especially the overly produced stuff.
Not a fan of Mall jewelry with rare exceptions
Double halos
Not a fan of chip diamond cluster rings and tennis bracelets.
Not a fan of pandora charm bracelets
Not crazy about overly dainty things that look barely noticeable
Gold nugget jewelry

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chocolate brown and black diamonds...:knockout:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like trendy anything. If Jackie O or Audrey Hepburn wouldn't wear it, it's not for me.
Don't like logos on clothing and same for jewelry, including recognizable Chanel, VCA, LV, Tiffany pieces.
Can't go wrong with classic styles and pearls.
I do have a Cartier tank watch and have somewhat conflicted feelings about it--lol.
Not a fan of halos.
Also the only person on the planet who doesn't like tennis bracelets. Weird, I know.
DH asks what I would like and the only thing I might request is a strand of golden SS pearls. Or mixed color tahitians ala Nancy Pelosi.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results