shape
carat
color
clarity

Translucent emeralds - will color change with setting??

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So I am still in contemplation mode on this, but I saw a couple more on their IG page that I asked about so now I have some more to compare. The one that had been the favorite is on the left. The others are cushions. I was more interested in the squarish shape, but the green color of the other two seem to have more shine. It's so crazy how varied emeralds can be. What do you guys think of these cushions compared to what was the favorite?
cushions and fave square.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
1614651332253.jpeg
I like the one farthest to the left. This is me trying on an emerald ring and I’d say this is my favorite shade of green.

Yes that is a beautiful emerald on your finger!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am still in contemplation mode on this, but I saw a couple more on their IG page that I asked about so now I have some more to compare. The one that had been the favorite is on the left. The others are cushions. I was more interested in the squarish shape, but the green color of the other two seem to have more shine. It's so crazy how varied emeralds can be. What do you guys think of these cushions compared to what was the favorite?
cushions and fave square.jpg

It’s very difficult to ascertain emerald quality from photos, but the middle one is too blue to me. It looks more like a minty tsavorite than an emerald. The one on the left had a sizable window, but I prefer emerald cuts for emeralds to cushions. That’s a subjective preference though.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s very difficult to ascertain emerald quality from photos, but the middle one is too blue to me. It looks more like a minty tsavorite than an emerald. The one on the left had a sizable window, but I prefer emerald cuts for emeralds to cushions. That’s a subjective preference though.

Yes they even referred to the color on IG as “mint green”. They have lots of fine color options but I’m trying to stick to a certain budget :)

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I would still prefer the the EC cut one as it’s more glowy and has the color I associate with Colombian emeralds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes they even referred to the color on IG as “mint green”. They have lots of fine color options but I’m trying to stick to a certain budget :)

You don’t need fine color or top tier gems to have a beautiful emerald, but that minty stone, while pretty, isn’t very emerald like to me. I would still want an emerald that looked like an emerald. I wonder if that’s more of a vanadium beryl. The other two look like emeralds, no doubt.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I received that stone today guys. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. In some lights it really glows and looks pretty. But it is more clear - translucent - than it looked in the pictures. Even the pictures I take of it look deeper in color than irl. It has taught me that if I want to get an emerald it's probably best to be able to look at them in person! I'm posting some pics for you. The first pic I'm posting is probably the best indication of the true color.

F1B0DBED-384F-4484-BD8E-210481587663.jpeg
7A50EA0B-09B7-4309-AED6-07C1EBA10139.jpeg

In direct sunlight it almost reminds me of fluorescence:
04F3BB12-ADE1-4416-B209-5122B8EA1F0A.jpeg

This pic on the hand it looks really pretty, but it doesn't look this color irl. So strange!
F1C123CA-8B67-4A45-BB27-1351D5226359.jpeg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that pale emeralds really deepen and pop in halo mounts, That’s something you might want to consider. It’s very pretty, but pale emeralds are not for everyone. You could also do a very deep colored emerald in a sub carat size. It just might be treated, but it would save on cost. The nice thing about emerald is that they’re low density stones, so a one carat emerald will face up twice as big as a one carat sapphire, if they have identical proportions.

ETA: I would also try for a pale emerald without such a large window, as that adds to the lack of color across the gem.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I find that pale emeralds really deepen and pop in halo mounts, That’s something you might want to consider. It’s very pretty, but pale emeralds are not for everyone. You could also do a very deep colored emerald in a sub carat size. It just might be treated, but it would save on cost. The nice thing about emerald is that they’re low density stones, so a one carat emerald will face up twice as big as a one carat sapphire, if they have identical proportions.

Yes I am thinking of lowering carat weight to get a stone with more saturation. The last picture, if it looked that way in real life, I would keep it. I also think I might have to just find one already set so that I know what it looks like set. I even am considering lab (funny enough was googling that on PS and came upon your thread about that IG page that has realistic looking labs). I'm still going to sleep on it. Got it at the end of the day and am suuuuper tired right now. :))

I received that stone today guys. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. In some lights it really glows and looks pretty. But it is more clear - translucent - than it looked in the pictures. Even the pictures I take of it look deeper in color than irl. It has taught me that if I want to get an emerald it's probably best to be able to look at them in person! I'm posting some pics for you. The first pic I'm posting is probably the best indication of the true color.

This pic on the hand it looks really pretty, but it doesn't look this color irl. So strange!
Yes I am thinking of lowering carat weight to get a stone with more saturation. The last picture, if it looked that way in real life, I would keep it. I also think I might have to just find one already set so that I know what it looks like set. I even am considering lab (funny enough was googling that on PS and came upon your thread about that IG page that has realistic looking labs). I'm still going to sleep on it. Got it at the end of the day and am suuuuper tired right now. :))

Sorry it didn't wow you right away! CSs are so tricky sometimes

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don’t hate it but I prefer a darker emerald. Have you tried bezelling with some tin foil? I suspect it might darken up quite a lot.
I bought one on eBay years ago actually and posted on here, people were admiring the color but it never looked so good in person so back it went. I would rather have inclusions than pale or undersaturated, just personal preference of course.
I came to the same conclusion btw and bought mine in person.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update I got a different one and it is a lot smaller but much more saturated so I think this one will be a keeper and I might just rethink the design.

B81016F1-26AC-4D14-8978-11A595DB103A.jpeg
4857E373-336B-4039-910B-08FE722113A5.jpeg

Heck to the yeah, that would be my keeper too as I love that saturated green. Is it glowy too (I know how hard they are to photograph, so just because I don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't have it)?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Heck to the yeah, that would be my keeper too as I love that saturated green. Is it glowy too (I know how hard they are to photograph, so just because I don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't have it)?

yes it does have a glow ;-)

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooh nice I like this one best too! What kind of design are you thinking?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oooh nice I like this one best too! What kind of design are you thinking?

possibly using lab traps and bezeling all of it, or double bezel for just a single stone. Not sure yet! I like this look (below) with the traps, but my stone is more elongated.

inspo for asscher tourmaline three stone.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is screaming three stone with trillions to me!!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Update I got a different one and it is a lot smaller but much more saturated so I think this one will be a keeper and I might just rethink the design.

This one is beautiful and a keeper, I agree. Congrats! I vote for a three stone ring with diamonds too. Very, very classy look. Maybe not trillions since I hear complaints about cleaning them but the other geometric shapes?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This one is beautiful and a keeper, I agree. Congrats! I vote for a three stone ring with diamonds too. Very, very classy look. Maybe not trillions since I hear complaints about cleaning them but the other geometric shapes?

I’ve seen those trillion posts - crazy! I’ll be thinking on it. With the other projects I’ve got going I’m forced to take some time to decide!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’ve seen those trillion posts - crazy! I’ll be thinking on it. With the other projects I’ve got going I’m forced to take some time to decide!

I originally wanted traps but as the shape is more elongated maybe emerald cut sides would look more proportionate? I also have this green tourmaline I bought from a PSer and was thinking traps with this one or bezel and halo. Decisions decisions! These settings would cost more so again will take time.

F15995AC-366B-4F30-9325-C22362811FA5.jpeg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Emerald cuts would look AMAZING and I would double bezel it all!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I originally wanted traps but as the shape is more elongated maybe emerald cut sides would look more proportionate? I also have this green tourmaline I bought from a PSer and was thinking traps with this one or bezel and halo.

Parks Fine Group on IG has been selling a lot of side stones recently... and he has more on the way...

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Parks Fine Group on IG has been selling a lot of side stones recently... and he has more on the way...

Yes I saw those! Even though his pricing is awesome I think I will probably go lab though for the side stones if I want to get these set anytime in the near future!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This one is beautiful. :kiss2: It’s definitely more saturated and I love the elongated shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results