shape
carat
color
clarity

Transition cut: pretty but chipped. Keep or return?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I bought this antique deco transition cut ring on ebay, for almost $900. It''s in a substantial platinum setting of medium quality, rather worn, but genuinely of the period. He mentioned in the description that one of the side sapphire baguettes is cracked. I like the setting a lot.

In the description, the seller "guaranteed" the center stone to be "at least H in color" and "at least 55-60 points." He did not "guarantee" anything about the clarity, but said it was VS.

The ring arrived today, and I think it''s very pretty. I love the cut of the stone. But it has a substantial chip--no way it''s VS. It''s tucked away near the prong, but still easily visible, especially with a loupe.

Even with the chip, I don''t think it''s a terrible price, given the nice platinum setting, but of course it''s not as good as it would be if it were VS.

What should I do? Keep it or try to return it?

transcutdecogl1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the chip:

transchipgl1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Nice chunky facets:

transcutdecogl4.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Side view:

transcutdecogl5.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
It's a fairly substantial chip from the first pic. What is the diameter of the stone?

If you can live with the chip, keep it. If not, return it. If it is eye visible, I'd return it, but that's just me.

eta: I don't really see the chip in the other pics--very pretty faceting!

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
That's a tough one. It is a pretty diamond. What I'd do is email the seller and point out that his listing was misleading but you like the ring and want to keep it. I'd then ask for about a $200-300 refund or I'll return it for a full refund. See what happens. I would think he'd want to keep the money and not have to refund it.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yah, partial refund is a great idea if you want to keep it. One of my tran cuts has a tiny chip--not eye visible, and the seller gave me some cash back for it.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so pretty! I hope you get a partial refund.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It''s 5.46 X 5.39 mm.

Here''s another shot of the chip (I think those other spots that look like inclusions are just dust, though):

transchipgl2.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here it is next to my .73 ct Cut by Infinity in a setting from the same period:

transcutdecogl6.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hm--I meant to post this shot of the trans with the infinity, not the other one. Oh well.

Anyway, I emailed the seller to see if he''s open to giving me a partial refund. We''ll see what he says. Thanks for the good advice.

transcutdecogl7.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
It's a cool and substantial ring! Up to you, G. Can you live with the little chip?

Love that last pic!
30.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I would try for the partial refund, but it is beautiful. First, I thought $900 for a .55?????? But upon your pictures I agree that the price was reasonable for that piece. Good luck, and please give us tons more pictures!!!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a side shot showing how tall it is:

transcutdecogl9.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
And the profile.

I hope I get a partial refund. I do like it.

transcutdecogl10.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i hope you can get a partial refund...it''s a gorgeous ring. I wish I could find the deals on ebay like some of you gals do!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I hope you get a bit of money back. I do feel that $900 is steep for the ct size even though it is VERY pretty.

Sorry about the chip.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 3:04:25 PM
Author: glitterata
And the profile.

I hope I get a partial refund. I do like it.
Looks like the chip could be nicely hidden under a prong if you can have it adjusted.

I saw it on eBay and thought it was gorgeous, I hope you keep it!!
emsmile.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, ask for a partial refund, then have the stone reset to hide that chip under a prong...very pretty ring though!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Personally that chip is wayyy too big for me to consider keeping it. If you love the mounting, then it''s a decent deal at $900 since the mounting itself would exceed that cost in platinum.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The chip would bug me, I''d have to return it. I would know it was there even if no one else saw it.

cayce

Rough_Rock
If you have a jeweler that you trust to work on a piece of that age, I would take it in and see if s/he thinks it possible to rotate the stone so that the chip is covered by the prong.

It is a gorgeous ring, especially for that price
30.gif

K9

Brilliant_Rock
glitter - chiming in late here but the ring is lovely. I think due to how substantial the setting is the price is fair - if it were not chipped. I don''t think the chip is visible in the pics, aside from the closeups, so if you can get a partial, I''d keep it.

Nice find!!
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I heard back from the seller. Here''s what he said:

"I didn''t see the chip, but let me know what you think would be a fair partial refund and f it works, I do it. "

How much should I ask him for? I want to be fair to both of us.

Is the chip big enough to bring the diamond from a VS (assuming it was in the first place) to an I1? What should the difference in price be, assuming the setting is worth at least $300?

Thanks again for your help, everybody!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I say ask for $300. If he says no, you have a little wiggle room. If it were me, I'd want $300 back, but would be pleased with $200.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
.... what K9 said!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys!

Any other opinions before I contact him?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, $300 is a good number to start with. I"m sure he''ll try to work you down and I''ll stick to my guns that it''ll be no less than $200. It''s a gorgeous setting and OEC.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very lovely but I would return it. A chipped diamond is always a deal breaker for me.

Lisa

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Lisa- I know I always get obsessive with flaws.
Perhaps you can agree on how much the setting would be worth and have a trusted a jeweler take out the diamond so you can switch it with one you''ve had a chance to inspect.
Much luck on the results! and shocked he wouldn''t see a chip like that, really?!?
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results